Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:40 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Oh I've known for years I needed Thunder Rider in my life. JMs review tells it all. I've just been trying to find them at the right price which hasn't been a success yet. I'm holding your link hostage. Tell me what you think of that Ghost Tower track first!

Oh, I missed it earlier. Well, I dig the instrumental parts a lot but whew, those vocals - those vocal lines fuckin suck. Super repetitive and grating. Borrowed Time's vocals are like 900 billion times better.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 pm 

Hm. I really loved the vocals but I never pay much heed to the phrasing. They were definitely all over the place from what I remember. That is definitely not the best song, just the opener. I'm glad the whole thing is on YT I'm gonna listen to it again as soon as the lady falls asleep. I couldn't believe how familiar it all sounded, especially the soloing style. When I checked the credits Matt Preston's name immediately jumped off the Jcard. I can't believe I assumed he was just in BT to bring a flashy solo style. I'm thinking he was heavily involved now.

I'll check that Thunder Rider track too but I already know I'm gonna love it. I heard their recent album was a gem too.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:52 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Hm. I really loved the vocals but I never pay much heed to the phrasing. They were definitely all over the place from what I remember. That is definitely not the best song, just the opener. I'm glad the whole thing is on YT I'm gonna listen to it again as soon as the lady falls asleep. I couldn't believe how familiar it all sounded, especially the soloing style. When I checked the credits Matt Preston's name immediately jumped off the Jcard. I can't believe I assumed he was just in BT to bring a flashy solo style. I'm thinking he was heavily involved now.

I'll check that Thunder Rider track too but I already know I'm gonna love it. I heard their recent album was a gem too.

Thunder Rider has a recent album? Or are you talking about the one from 2002?

I actually got their first album used from Sentinel Steel not too long ago. Good stuff. I really like the vocals.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:54 pm 

Yeah I meant it in a relative sense. Sorry.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:59 pm 

That Thuder Rider song rules. They really know how to dress up an ultra basic riff. It was a lot more bombastic and less barbarous than I expected. Great song. I'll be resuming the hunt for them. I doubt Sentinel Steel has any of those copies left but I'll check.

BatJim I wanted to love Nuke but they just don't move me much. I checked them out a few weeks ago on the word of dontlivefastjustdie. Something about the vocals left me so cold. They were so dirty from a production stand point and it seemed like he wasn't trying at all. Which can come off cool sometimes. Didn't work for me though. I was shocked. I'm all over Detroits dick these days so I expected to love it. I WILL say that I bought the Evil Killer demo based on your review and they slay. No friller all killer.

Edit: Nope, I fucking love the way the vocals are laid out on this Ghost Tower song. They're very floaty. I'm smitten. The full album is up for free download on bandcamp. Just tossin that out there.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:02 am 

Oblarg wrote:
So, the new Terminus album is fucking amazing and all of you should listen to it.

https://terminusni.bandcamp.com/album/t ... rs-spiral#

It's sort of like Traveller-era Slough Feg, but less weird and better overall. Really great harmonization and riff progressions, gutsy vocals.

fuck I didn't know that Terminus finally had an album out. I love their Into Exile EP (which they seem to have rerecorded as 4 of these 9 tracks). checking this out right now.

and that album art is rad. reminds me of someone playing Dungeon Crawl as a Transmuter with Blade Hands cast and about to slaughter a bunch of Ugly Things and Unseen Horrors.

Last edited by SolstafirAquilaria on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:09 am 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Any newer bands on the Power Metal front doing fast-paced work similar to that of Silence-era Sonata Arctica or some earlier Edguy/first two Avantasia albums? It seems that every newer power metal band I discover these days is focused on slower music, which is upsetting to me. And all of the stalwarts from years past like Gamma Ray are just not good anymore.

I know Ancient Bards is good and Enceladus, but who else is making early-2000s style power metal?

Dude have you heard about new album of Cain's Offering or Victorious ???

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:04 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:

Cain's Offering is good, but doesn't fill me with energy in the same way that the example bands I listed in my previous reply do.

The Victorious album sounds good thus far. Thanks for that!

I did, however, discover this band last night, which is a pretty accurate example of the speed and energy that I'm looking for in new(er) power metal bands (could use maybe a bit more double-bass, though ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOPJl9s9VI

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:43 pm 

The new Tulsadoom album should be checked by all in need of great heavy metal with slight thrashy/blacky hints.
Great stuff (as their debut from 2012 also was!)

Sweet bass going on at the beginning!

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:59 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
mudrnudl wrote:

I did, however, discover this band last night, which is a pretty accurate example of the speed and energy that I'm looking for in new(er) power metal bands (could use maybe a bit more double-bass, though ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOPJl9s9VI

I like this. Good, memorable vocal melodies and some pretty decent riffs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:54 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
The new Tulsadoom album should be checked by all in need of great heavy metal with slight thrashy/blacky hints.

Definitely gonna check these guys out on the strength of the artwork. I saw em on bandcamp last night assumed they were uh...doom.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:36 pm 

That Tulsadoom song sounds good! It sounds like a blacker and thrashier Grave Digger, almost. I love their artwork and logo too.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:07 pm 

Hardworlder wrote:
I like this. Good, memorable vocal melodies and some pretty decent riffs.

Here's the song I initially found. Super-catchy, high energy throughout. I dig it.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:00 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:

Definitely gonna check these guys out on the strength of the artwork. I saw em on bandcamp last night assumed they were uh...doom.

Their debut "Barbarian Steel" is also pure fun. Lots of catchy songs, kick-ass attitude and somewhat "carefree".

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:43 pm 

I liked that Signum Regis tune. Pretty standard power metal, but energetic and catchy enough to be enjoyable. Probably should look into their stuff.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 pm 

That Terminus is sick! Reminds me of the new Visigoth, but more UK/less American. Some nice Solstice vibes too!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:10 am 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Any newer bands on the Power Metal front doing fast-paced work similar to that of Silence-era Sonata Arctica or some earlier Edguy/first two Avantasia albums? It seems that every newer power metal band I discover these days is focused on slower music, which is upsetting to me. And all of the stalwarts from years past like Gamma Ray are just not good anymore.

I know Ancient Bards is good and Enceladus, but who else is making early-2000s style power metal?

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it might be worth checking out Stilverlight: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Stilverlight/3540389416

Obey the dolphin!

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:16 am 

Rosenthorn wrote:
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it might be worth checking out Stilverlight: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Stilverlight/3540389416

Not exactly, but this is pretty cool. Thanks :)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:50 pm 

So I listened to ANTIQUUS for the first time this weekend. Specifically the "In the Land of the Blind" album.

I'm really impressed.

They certainly play by their own rules and are passionate about what they are doing. It takes a lot of bravery to put out a technical power metal album with something akin to rapping on the first track. But it really isn't bad at all.

The lead guitar work is absolutely phenomenal. Any idea the name of the guy who played the leads?

I enjoyed the first part of the album a lot more than the end.

Going to check out the one before this soon.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:17 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
The lead guitar work is absolutely phenomenal. Any idea the name of the guy who played the leads?

Toshi Osawa.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:28 pm 

What bands puts the twin guitars to best use?
I'd like long, flowing guitar harmonies of epicness, like in these While Heaven Wept songs.

https://youtu.be/o1l-jTm3Wpo?t=227
https://youtu.be/7qd80yegMpc?t=263

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:58 pm 

Opus wrote:
I'd like long, flowing guitar harmonies of epicness, like in these While Heaven Wept songs.

Definitely not as melodic as what you posted (which is cool BTW) but still pretty great dueling guitars similar to Maiden. This is more traditional metal, less prog, but you still may enjoy.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:17 pm 

Dude!! Spot on! Fantastic band! Epicness indeed! Thanks!

What song did you post? Or is a playlist? I get "not available" but I fond this song:

Love it!

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:25 pm 

Opus wrote:

What song did you post? Or is a playlist? I get "not available" but I fond this song:

Love it!

Cool! Glad you like it. I think they are severely underrated. I posted "Secret Commonwealth". Sons of England is really good too. The whole album is fantastic honestly, some of the best lyrics in metal as far as I'm concerned.

Their first album is a little boring IMO, their second album Dawn of Infinity is really good too- check out "Under the Greenwood Tree". There's a different singer on this one. Awakening is definitely the most epic IMO.

Here try this:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:56 am 

Whenever I'm mentally cataloging the greatest examples of twin leads I usually end up coming back to the Crimson Glory debut. Is it safe to assume you've heard this, Opus? If not that is a MUST. They are like Maiden slowed down just a bit and then ratcheted up to the height of classiness.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:49 am 

Sacred Oath comes to mind for some insane guitar work.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:34 pm 

Yeah Sacred Oath, Blind Guardian, and Helstar all come to mind with twin guitar melodies. All of those are off the hook.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:39 pm 

Just an hour or 2 ago i was listening to G.I.S.M. - M.A.N. This record is pretty much full on trad metal including harmonies but with absolutely non trad metal vocals. Definitely an unique record and also with some really good guitar harmonies.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:50 pm 

I really dig that As Above, So Below record by Angel Witch. The early stuff is good too but this is better - what else like this? Straightforward metal with great epic song writing?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:51 pm 

If I had to pick one Virgin Steele song... I think Emalaith would be it. Doesn't get much better.

It feels a little odd to say, for best VS release, I actually kind of want to say Hymns of Victory. It is one of those remake/compilation hybrid kind of releases, but damn it's just pure A-grade VS material back to back and kind of works as a full album itself. Flows really well.

You guys make me want to listen to the last two albums for laughs, damn they sound pretty bad.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:59 am 

Opus wrote:

I liten more to power metal which is faster but it reminded me pieces of Heavenly. Examples:
https://youtu.be/QrLNqurZIB4?t=2m43s
https://youtu.be/ZBBfq6P1MJQ?t=2m5s

And I have a thing of Timeless Miracle - here is their most epic song (guitar and violin duelling):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vjr9Cy4k74

Last edited by mudrnudl on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:07 am 

Anyone here into Risen Prophecy? Just recently discovered these guys and it really has some special vibe to it.
Power metal combined with slight Sabbat (Walkyier) influenced thrash riffing and an overall epic atmsophere
as well as some King Diamond like screams in the background (the overall vocals are mid-range).

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:31 am 

Hardworlder wrote:
Opus wrote:

Love it!

Cool! Glad you like it. I think they are severely underrated. I posted "Secret Commonwealth". Sons of England is really good too. The whole album is fantastic honestly, some of the best lyrics in metal as far as I'm concerned.

Their first album is a little boring IMO, their second album Dawn of Infinity is really good too- check out "Under the Greenwood Tree". There's a different singer on this one. Awakening is definitely the most epic IMO.

Here try this:

That "Dawn of Infinity" album is pretty similiar to Wisdom's second album (also third).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf37M0e1F80

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:35 am 

Nice, I'll have to check it out.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:40 pm 

I've been listening to a lot of Orden Ogan recently, and I have to say Ravenhead is just as good as To The End.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:11 am 

You guys heard any more of Chris Holmes' new stuff. I remember that "they all lie and cheat" song was pretty cringeworthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIWzgExzAA

This one is a little better but not very good, metal enough for the archives you reckon?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:42 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Whenever I'm mentally cataloging the greatest examples of twin leads I usually end up coming back to the Crimson Glory debut. Is it safe to assume you've heard this, Opus?.

Of course I have! What do you take me for, a heathen?
So what are the other examples in your catalog?

mudrnudl wrote:
Heavenly, Timeless Miracle

Thanks, I know those. Never gotten into TM, it just lacks bite.

Xeogred wrote:
Sacred Oath comes to mind for some insane guitar work.

This is great! Just what I'm looking for. Why they not have reviews?
BTW, my next band shall be named Sacred Oat. Just think of the concept possibilities!

Last edited by Opus on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:43 am 

Opus wrote:
BTW, my next band shall be named Sacred Oat.

Have the debut album name be Quaker. It works on two levels!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:59 am 

Demon Bitch are about to start working on a full-length. I kinda hoped they would just release EPs forever but I knew that wouldn't be the case...I'm excited:

"In T-Minus 2 days we will begin recording for a full-length album, which will be recorded and mixed by the capable hands of Friend Matt Prestone (Dungeon Beast, Ghost Tower, ex-Borrowed Time, ex-Silver Chrome), who will be our live-in liaison for the next month or so."

They're in good hands!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:32 pm 

Yeah I'll definitely be looking forward to that. Their stuff is always incredibly weird and OTT in some completely unexpected but brilliant way.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486 ... 624  Next