Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 pm 

Lensherr wrote:
I've listened to this one of pande and liked it a lot : Pandaemonium - The Alchemist

That's my favorite song by them, and probably my favorite power metal song.
If you like that you might also like Ainur:
http://ainurcol.bandcamp.com/track/03-gemini

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 pm 

Aernach wrote:
Ok, so I'll just ask a simple thing.

I'm looking for the bluesiest Trad Heavy Metal, y'know. You can take as reference classic 70's bands like Motörhead, Priest, Sabbath, Rainbow, maybe some Alice Cooper or even Deep Purple.

I've searched, but found little or nothing in the matter of underground bands.

This is a long stretch but maybe Ice Dragon. Try their album "Dream Dragon". You could trick someone into thinking this was a 60's band that influenced Black Sabbath.
This track gets pretty bluesie around 1:40:
http://icedragon.bandcamp.com/track/stumble-onto-magic

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:09 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Holy fuck, this band called Attic from Germany is just kicking my ass right now. In my opinion, probably the better Mercyful Fate homage band I have heard yet. Glad I came across them. Full length album coming out soon :metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eqooRODUZRU#!

I've had their EP for a while and it's very worth getting (bought it directly from the band, just email them if you want a copy). They're also playing at Keep It True next year so they seem to be picking up some momentum. I'll definitely be buying that new full-length.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:36 am 

failsafeman wrote:
The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Holy fuck, this band called Attic from Germany is just kicking my ass right now. In my opinion, probably the better Mercyful Fate homage band I have heard yet. Glad I came across them. Full length album coming out soon :metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eqooRODUZRU#!

I've had their EP for a while and it's very worth getting (bought it directly from the band, just email them if you want a copy). They're also playing at Keep It True next year so they seem to be picking up some momentum. I'll definitely be buying that new full-length.

Wow I brushed this off earlier thinking it was some other band... but yeah this song is awesome. I'm not the biggest Mercyful Fate / KD fan but this is a catchy stuff. Sounds more Swedish than German, haha.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:04 am 

What is some good power metal with prominent bass playing that does something besides playing root notes very fast?

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 am 

The first Avantasia has few but nice bass lines by Mr. Markus Grosskopf. He also shines in Walls of Jericho, but that's more speed than power.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 am 

Whoa, hadn't listened to that album in six years, but you're right, it has some nice basslines to play along with I didn't remember at all.
Ha, it's so cheesy and good; I had totally forgotten.

Keep the recommendations comming if ye've got more though.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:13 pm 

garthmargengi wrote:
What is some good power metal with prominent bass playing that does something besides playing root notes very fast?

Hibria?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:15 pm 

Pharaoh and Tarot have pretty prominent, well done bass parts. Check out Be Gone or Suffer Our Pleasures, respectively.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 pm 

Checked out/skipped thru a couple Hibria songs on youtube and while the music is not bad, the bass is simply following the guitars, that's kind of the opposite of what I've asked.
Pharaoh is square and repetitive beyond what I can stand and Tarot kind of gave me the vibe of trying to sound ballsy but ends up falling as lame.
Still, thank you both guys for taking the time to recommend something.

Can't believe I still remember the lyrics to Avantasia.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:34 pm 

garthmargengi wrote:
Checked out/skipped thru a couple Hibria songs on youtube and while the music is not bad, the bass is simply following the guitars, that's kind of the opposite of what I've asked.
???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPZBugBbgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfFqiRonO8

they have tons of crazy bass parts, just not 100% of the time, and certainly not every song.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:19 pm 

Pro tip: skipping through a couple of songs on Youtube is not a substitute for actually listening to an album, and may make you look like an idiot.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:00 pm 

But... people against piracy tell me it is.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:11 pm 

Hey guys, do you know anything that closely resembles Sabotage era Black Sabbath? You know the deal; intricate compositions coupled with punchier tunes, heavy as hell, groovy riffs, and almost screamed clean vocals. It's just that I really, really like that album (probably my favorite Ozzy era record), and would like to know if there's anything similar to it.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:29 pm 

Briton Rites' full-length is the closest thing I've heard.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 pm 

So i just listened to pharaoh. I kind of have had them in the back of my mind for a few years now after hearing about them here, just sampled a few tracks and they blew my damn balls off. Well composed, intense, riffy, but still majestic power metal? The vocalist is one of the best PM vocalists i've heard out there, and the production is perfectly meaty and organic for the type of music. Incredible material, and I thought they were just overhyped.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:52 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Hey guys, do you know anything that closely resembles Sabotage era Black Sabbath? You know the deal; intricate compositions coupled with punchier tunes, heavy as hell, groovy riffs, and almost screamed clean vocals. It's just that I really, really like that album (probably my favorite Ozzy era record), and would like to know if there's anything similar to it.

I don't think anything is like that album. There are plenty of retro-Sabbath wannabe bands, and then bands like Briton Rites or Pagan Altar which are simply other old school musicians playing similar styles, but nothing really seems to capture the arcane, apocalyptic melodies and weirdly climactic, complete feel of that album for me...so yeah, I guess this wasn't a helpful post except to praise Sabotage.

And yup Pharaoh is probably in the top 3 or 4 best bands active in the scene right now. I know Oblarg and a few others don't agree, but there are few bands that have that kind of songwriting skill for me.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 am 

Oh, too bad I guess :( I did check out For Mircalla though, and it's pretty cool (thanks Joph!), so at least there's that.

What are the general thoughts here about Angra's Aurora Consurgens?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:38 am 

That's a cool album. I like Aqua even better though...without Falaschi I somehow doubt they'll be as good. One can hope though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBeBSHzxvB8 New Urban Breed/Morgana Lefay/Bloodbound project, Trail of Murder. Lighter and more rockish than any of those bands, but Breed's attention to great melodies knows no bounds. Shame they don't have any of the real standout tracks on youtube though.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am 

Yeah, I've been listening to it more since yesterday through YouTube. I already gave it a passing listen some time ago, but the album really grows on you once you give it your full attention. Aqua is great too, but I believe the best Falaschi fronted Angra record has to be Temple of Shadows. Well, it must be their best in general me thinks. I don't like their stuff with Matos.

Trail of Murder is sounding pretty nice. Like you say, they emphasize rockier tempos and simpler riffs much more than anything else I've heard with Urban's vocals on top of it, but it's still great. Just catchy metal that's easy on the ears while still retaining its heaviness, not to mention that Urban sounds fantastic, as always.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:08 pm 

Checking out this Trail of Murder stuff at the moment. I just hope if will have more to offer than just good vocals.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 pm 

I doubt it's up your alley. It's pretty much hard rock/metal mostly focusing on the vocals. The music is really good, and very well written/catchy, but if you're looking for instrumental showing off/prowess then you'll probably be disappointed.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:37 pm 

So.... which pharaoh album you guys recommend for a first listen?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:21 pm 

The thing about Sabotage is that it incorporates a lot of prog rock influence into its sound, heard even more prominently on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - pretty much every Sabbath-style band these days focuses on the sound from the first four albums. To be honest I've never liked Sabotage as a whole that much, though a few songs on it are killer. It just goes way too far up its ass a few times too many for me to really love it, unlike SBS, which manages to be progressive without wasting too much time.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:39 pm 

Agreed with failsafeman, although I think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath suffers from the same problem to some extent. Sabotage is essentially a couple of excellent songs, the bottom of the heap being considerably worse than on SBS. In truth, inconsistency is a problem with all Ozzy albums past Master of Reality, though with SBS and Vol. 4 it's not a major problem.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:51 pm 

I'd call "Changes" a major problem! :puke:

In seriousness though I think that inconsistency was due to record label pressure; the norm back then was for a major band to release a full-length (or more) every single year, and it's clear that for whatever reasons (drug abuse, interpersonal conflict, lack of inspiration, the mental taxation of sustaining the bleak mindset required to write such music, or all of the above) Sabbath just couldn't keep up. Hence we get albums like Vol. 4, which is just hugely bloated (both in terms of worthless songs and over-repetition within the songs in general) and has at best 30 minutes of solid material. If you ask me, I think the first four albums only have about three albums' worth of classic material. With a little much-needed pruning and clever editing, their early stuff would have been way better, in my opinion.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 pm 

Aydross wrote:

Probably the longest night. I think it's likely the most consistent, and has the best vocal performance on it. The two most recent Be Gone and Bury the Light are a bit more technical instrumentally but there are a couple of tracks where Aymar sounds kind of annoyingly strained/constipated for me. Plus the songwriting seems to be the best on TLN, but really any of those three would be a good starting point.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I'd call "Changes" a major problem! :puke:

In seriousness though I think that inconsistency was due to record label pressure; the norm back then was for a major band to release a full-length (or more) every single year, and it's clear that for whatever reasons (drug abuse, interpersonal conflict, lack of inspiration, the mental taxation of sustaining the bleak mindset required to write such music, or all of the above) Sabbath just couldn't keep up. Hence we get albums like Vol. 4, which is just hugely bloated (both in terms of worthless songs and over-repetition within the songs in general) and has at best 30 minutes of solid material. If you ask me, I think the first four albums only have about three albums' worth of classic material. With a little much-needed pruning and clever editing, their early stuff would have been way better, in my opinion.

Which are the most over-repetitious Sabbath songs on Vol. 4? I'm interested to hear. I think all the actual songs (barring 'Changes', of corpse) are great. I certainly don't think they really needed to edit themselves, to be frank (Anthony Iommi...), those records are all under 40 minutes or so... and they certainly had enough riffs/momentum/instrumental and songwriting prowess to keep things interesting. In general the Dio stuff is much shorter on ideas, I'd say... they got a bit more conservative with structures, too.

In fact, the looseness of those albums is a big part of their appeal. And it's often the case with pioneers: they don't have set guidelines so they tend to go a little crazy (though I'd certainly never call those madcap ideas "bloated" or whatever).

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:30 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Which are the most over-repetitious Sabbath songs on Vol. 4? I'm interested to hear.

Well without going into excruciating detail for each song, "Supernaut" is the one that springs first to mind. It seems to be a fan favorite but I just find it tiresome after the first couple of minutes. It's nearly 5 minutes long and has 2 riffs. Granted, they're good riffs, but c'mon, the song would've easily been ten times as good with another riff or two and/or a shorter running time. Fucksake, they even do this long fadeout at the end with nothing but the same old main riff going on, and on, and on, and on.

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
In fact, the looseness of those albums is a big part of their appeal. And it's often the case with pioneers: they don't have set guidelines so they tend to go a little crazy (though I'd certainly never call those madcap ideas "bloated" or whatever).

It's not that the ideas are madcap, it's that they're short on them. I'm generally on board when Sabbath do weird stuff (like the synths and piano in SBS) but it's when they just decide to keep repeating themselves over and over that I get tired.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:43 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The thing about Sabotage is that it incorporates a lot of prog rock influence into its sound, heard even more prominently on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - pretty much every Sabbath-style band these days focuses on the sound from the first four albums. To be honest I've never liked Sabotage as a whole that much, though a few songs on it are killer. It just goes way too far up its ass a few times too many for me to really love it, unlike SBS, which manages to be progressive without wasting too much time.

There's just something really intense and personal about Sabotage for me, like you can tell they put a lot of themselves into it when writing it. Despite the fact that it's a bit inconsistent, and has "Supertzar" which I never much cared for, it's one of my favorite albums ever.

That Trail of Murder album is really growing on me you guys. It's like Tad Morose except a little more radio friendly and upbeat, and without the doom and gloom that band usually had. Totally killer, air-guitar, sing-along old school heavy metal to the bone. I am loving it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

I recently discovered the US band Orchid. I was wary, thinking they would be just "one more band that sounds like Sabbath", but they do seem to take more from the Sabotage/SBS mould than do other bands, as Failsafe and I were discussing some time back. Their album Capricorn grows on me more all the time. It is maybe a bit doomier than what are after, but I'm almost positive you'd enjoy it all the same...

For something more upbeat, try early Orange Goblin. They seem to have gotten more stripped down and almost punky later, but Frequencies from Planet Ten and Time Travelling Blues have a lot of that trippy, spaced out groove that was present on Sabbath's best albums.

And yes, for me, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is surely the best Sab album and I wouldn't change a damned thing about it. I used to not really enjoy "Spiral Architect" but, you know, in the context of the record and as the finale, it does actually sound great and very appropriate.

I'm too much of a fan of Ozzy era Sabbath to really want anything altered at this point. Sure, some songs aren't that great, but usually even they have their charms. It took them until SBS to make a perfect record, though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 am 

Already know and enjoy Orange Goblin, though I will make sure to check out Orchid. Thanks a lot Abom!

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:31 am 

Hey again guys. I've been meaning to post this for a while, but anyways. I asked for some recs a few pages back on bands similar to Grave Digger, with those gruff vocals, and fast riffage. However, I pretty much only got Rebellion out of it, which I had heard before, and am not that big of a fan of. Somebody also recommended a band called Solar Fragment, which I wasn't all that hyped about either. So I'll ask again for some more recs relating to this kinda stuff. I've already looked through the whole Similar Artists to Grave Digger page, so I know every band on there. But are there some other more unknown bands like these?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:27 am 

ShadeOfDarkness wrote:
Hey again guys. I've been meaning to post this for a while, but anyways. I asked for some recs a few pages back on bands similar to Grave Digger, with those gruff vocals, and fast riffage. However, I pretty much only got Rebellion out of it, which I had heard before, and am not that big of a fan of. Somebody also recommended a band called Solar Fragment, which I wasn't all that hyped about either. So I'll ask again for some more recs relating to this kinda stuff. I've already looked through the whole Similar Artists to Grave Digger page, so I know every band on there. But are there some other more unknown bands like these?

One of the Similar Artists, Iron Savior, has three bands similar to them: Persuader, Savage Circus, and Dark Empire. All of them should be right up your alley.

You should also check out Wuthering Heights. They're pretty inconsistent, but when they hit, they hit HARD.

Another group of interest is Seventh Avenue. They're basically a Grave Digger/Gamma Ray worship band, and they have some really great tunes.

Paradox are a bit more on the thrash metal side, but they should do just fine.

Manilla Road are a must-listen for all metal fans, but especially for you.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 am 

Thanks for all those recs. I've heard of all the bands before, but not checked out all of them. Manilla Road in particular is one that I should check out. It's just that last time I checked them out, I seem to remember that I didn't like it at all. But maybe I was drunk or something.

Thanks for taking the time!

Keep the recs coming! :)

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
ShadeOfDarkness wrote:

One of the Similar Artists, Iron Savior, has three bands similar to them: Persuader, Savage Circus, and Dark Empire. All of them should be right up your alley.

You should also check out Wuthering Heights. They're pretty inconsistent, but when they hit, they hit HARD.

Another group of interest is Seventh Avenue. They're basically a Grave Digger/Gamma Ray worship band, and they have some really great tunes.

Eh, Wuthering heights are one of my favorite PM bands along with lost horizon, virgin steele and Blind guardian. But you're basically right imo about some albums being better than others; the first two have more of a distant, folkly prog vibe aside from the metal, while

Paradox are a bit more on the thrash metal side, but they should do just fine.

Manilla Road are a must-listen for all metal fans, but especially for you.

Eh, Wuthering heights are one of my favorite PM bands along with lost horizon, virgin steele and Blind guardian. But you're basically right imo about some albums being better than others; the first two have more of a distant, folkly prog vibe melded into a more laid back form of power metal. Shade, I'd advise you to listen to everything, but from your request, check out 'far from the maddening crowd' and especially 'The Shadow Cabinet' and 'Salt'. Cetlic-esque meaty folk/power riffs combined with symphonic and prog touches, and the unique and ballsy vocals of erik ravn. Also, do yourself a favor and check out messiah's kiss. It's stomping, traditional power/heavy; Dragonheart and Prayer for the dying are their best, apparently 'metal' has a bucket of cheese dumped on them with big choruses and more melodic guitar work; but it still has good reviews by unicorn and empyreal.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:03 pm 

Oh yeah. I remember seeing Messiah's Kiss mentioned a few pages back as well. GREAT band! I've heard some Wuthering Heights stuff, and that one track "Desperate Poet" was a really nice one! I remember checking out pretty much everything that last vocalist has been involved with. Liked Astral Doors a whole lot, and I think Lion's Share too. But you guys are on the right track, and I like where this is going! If you remember some more, don't hesitate to show me!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:09 pm 

Aydross wrote:

Be Gone. Speak to Me, No Remains, Telepath, Cover your eyes and Pray and the title track are personal favourites.

But really, everything from The Longest Night is great. The first record has it's moments, especially the title track.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 pm 

I briefly checked out the new one as well, and it didn't sound bad at all. I had also heard a lot about Pharaoh, but never realized how good they were until now.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:35 pm 

Ok, the Longest Night shall be....thanks.

ShadeOfDarkness - I also REALLY recommend Manilla Road. Check out The Deluge or Voyager for an excellent heavier PM.

About the being drunk thing, I´m not sure, I always thought the only way to really get into manilla was to first listen to it while drunk :lol: .

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370 ... 624  Next