Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm 

Also it looks like they stuck with that vocalist for their newer stuff, too. Which is a good move, he is better than the other singer they have on their first release. Actually the new track they put out in December is way better than that first one by a wide margin. Sounds legit badass now.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:35 pm 

The new song is awesome, yeah! The name is a neighborhood of Warsaw, the main dude wanted something with an aggressive tone without an aggressive meaning apparently.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:14 am 

This Zoliborz isn't bad at all. Bit rough around the edges and the vocal lines aren't awesome, but I feel like they are definitely onto something. The riffs and guitar tone are very good. Hope they keep going and maybe we can have a suitable replacement for the vanished Antiquus.

edit: I like the second half of that demo more. Seems like they are open to playing with eclectic instrumentation and a bit of progressivism. Very neat. Thanks for the rec, Tony.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This Zoliborz isn't bad at all. Bit rough around the edges and the vocal lines aren't awesome, but I feel like they are definitely onto something. The riffs and guitar tone are very good. Hope they keep going and maybe we can have a suitable replacement for the vanished Antiquus.

edit: I like the second half of that demo more. Seems like they are open to playing with eclectic instrumentation and a bit of progressivism. Very neat. Thanks for the rec, Tony.

I exchanged a few messages with Jesse White a while ago, and Antiquus aren't gone, they're just sort of mildly inactive at this point. It sounded like they do intend to make some more music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm 

Ah, last I heard was sometime last year on their Facebook when they said they were probably done at this point. Glad that's changed if so.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:05 pm 

I mean the sad reality is that Antiquus's music takes a tremendous amount of effort to compose and play and they're only ever going to lose money doing it. The only way they could possibly hope to make money is by touring, and I don't think they've ever been interested in that.

It's easy to say that it's all about the ART, maaaaan, but in real life that doesn't keep anybody going for very long.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm 

The French scene continues to surprise me. Ange ou Demon by Voie De Fait is a killer from way back in '82! They have a lot of those hip-swinging rhythms and ultra-classy harmonies that Di'anno Maiden were sporting. Riffing heavily informed by 70s Priest. And since they're French you know the vocalist rules. Super soulful, from-the-gut passion.

You never hear much about these guys. I'm curious if this had much of an impact on the more well-known names like Sortilege and High Power.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm 

Seems like in 1980's France you could trip over a phenomenal vocalist while walking down the street! In other news, Artch's Another Return is a bit frustrating. The first track is really killer, but they really wrote waaaay too many lame songs about "rocking" and other dull, cliched subject matter.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:25 pm 

Welll... :)

http://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:46 pm 

Steve Grimmett is very unwell apparently. He is having limbs removed due to an 'aggressive infection'.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:43 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
The French scene continues to surprise me. Ange ou Demon by Voie De Fait is a killer from way back in '82! They have a lot of those hip-swinging rhythms and ultra-classy harmonies that Di'anno Maiden were sporting. Riffing heavily informed by 70s Priest. And since they're French you know the vocalist rules. Super soulful, from-the-gut passion.

You never hear much about these guys. I'm curious if this had much of an impact on the more well-known names like Sortilege and High Power.

I doubt too much? Sortilege had a demo out by 1982, which is when Voie de Fait put out their album, but then they were apparently kicking around France since like 1970 so who knows. I don't know how much of the French scene you're familiar with beyond the "big" bands, are you familiar with H-Bomb? Otherwise for third-tier stuff check out Desdemona, Vitriol, and Warning's second album. Half of Warning II is crap but half of it is like a French Saxon on steroids:

The chorus consists entirely of screaming the song title at you AND IT'S AWESOME

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 pm 

I've got Coup de Metal, really fun little EP. Haven't had a chance to snag their LP yet. It's a high quality scene.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 am 

Yeah the LP is legit too. Just be aware that...you know what, I'm pretty sure you can guess from the title how good To Feel Is Pain is, with such tracks as "Can't Stop Lovin".

Metalisepic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:26 am 

If you want to hear what the real French Saxon sounds like, listen to this:

H and H, Lust, Voodoo Child, Legend, Tokyo, Jumper Lace, Auroch, Steel Angel, etc.
There were many obscur heavy metal French bands with potential back then. Sadly, most of them were spoiled with a crappy production or singer.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:38 pm 

Going a little further down the Mausoleum Records rabbit-hole: Killer's "Wall of Sound" fuggin' rules! Sweaty and passionate, faster than Motorhead on a fistful of meth, huge sounding production. Very happy with this pick-up. I'm hoping Shock Waves will be even better.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 pm 

Quicksand Dream's new record sounds like it could be special. Today was insane so I couldn't focus as clearly as I wanted, but I gave it two passive listens. It sounds so much different than Aelin. The spirit is still so obscure, such outsider art. Really looking forward to more spins. It's a little faster than Toines review had me expecting. The production is so much fuller and more fleshed out than Aelin. They really took advantage of advances in modern home-recording technology! It sounds powerful, where Aelin has that delicious rusty tone. So. Wonderfully. Short. I'm so happy dudes like Goran and co. exist. People who love Manilla Road and don't give a shit about anything but making a cool record that a handful of like-minded dorks will appreciate. Well, here I'm is.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:45 am 

I never heard anything from Heavenly, so today during work I decided to fix that. Pretty neat stuff all around, I'd say, but nothing revolutionary. Tomorrow (and the next few days after that), I'll be diving headfirst into Galneryus' discography, so that should be fun.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:47 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Going a little further down the Mausoleum Records rabbit-hole: Killer's "Wall of Sound" fuggin' rules! Sweaty and passionate, faster than Motorhead on a fistful of meth, huge sounding production. Very happy with this pick-up. I'm hoping Shock Waves will be even better.

Kleptomania is almost unbearably catchy! Quality album. Fatal Attraction was my first exposure to the band, and is certainly worthy as well.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:23 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I never heard anything from Heavenly, so today during work I decided to fix that. Pretty neat stuff all around, I'd say, but nothing revolutionary. Tomorrow (and the next few days after that), I'll be diving headfirst into Galneryus' discography, so that should be fun.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but Heavenly would be way better with a different singer. The guy has a unique approach, and it's ok for a few songs, but I can only imagine a cleaner/more diverse/better singer just crushing those songs. I've heard Sign of the Winner, Virus, and Carpe Diem, and the first two of those would probably be some of my favourite records with a better singer.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:39 am 

Galneryus is crushingly disappointing so far. A few great songs here and there, but a huuuuuuge swath of uninteresting filler. :[

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:51 am 

I heard one of their recent albums and it was shockingly awful. I was really surprised since I remembered them being better than that about 10 years ago.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:47 pm 

So, I think it's been mentioned in the thread before, but not for a long time: the USPM band Rellik is fucking AWESOME. I mean they're not top-tier stuff exactly, some of their stuff is "merely" solid, but some of their tracks absolutely rip. To my ears the riffing sounds like some kind of cross between Vicious Rumors and Sanctuary (but they're more riffy than Sanctuary), and the vocalist has a pretty cool white collar USPM-styled nasal croon, sort of along the lines of a more aggressive version of the vocalist from Screamer. Really cool overlooked stuff, I might review them soon.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:23 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Galneryus is crushingly disappointing so far. A few great songs here and there, but a huuuuuuge swath of uninteresting filler. :[

Empyreal wrote:
I heard one of their recent albums and it was shockingly awful. I was really surprised since I remembered them being better than that about 10 years ago.

if ya listened to Vetelgyus ya fucked up. Angel of Salvation + Under the Force of Courage are both top-notch tho

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm 

Anyone know any new-ish stuff like Timelord's Regeneration still around? Listening to the album again right now, disappointed that they never even got a second album cuz this stuff is so good. A little wanky but super energetic and riffy speed/power, this kind of stuff seems to have fallen out of favor with Symphony X becoming less active.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:02 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Anyone know any new-ish stuff like Timelord's Regeneration still around? Listening to the album again right now, disappointed that they never even got a second album cuz this stuff is so good. A little wanky but super energetic and riffy speed/power, this kind of stuff seems to have fallen out of favor with Symphony X becoming less active.

I don't know what your idea of "new-ish" is, but Last Empire plays stuff in a pretty similar vein to Timelord, they have an album from 2003 and another from 2009, both are good. I reviewed the second album, and definitely disregard the review for the first album, the two are of a similar quality I'd say. The band Krystos which I discovered and mentioned recently also has some similar riffing going on, it's basically tech thrash/USPM (maybe not quite as awesome as it sounds, but still pretty awesome). Their sole full-length 'Walk Through the Inferno' is excellent stuff. Those are about the only ones I can think of from bands that started post-2000.

macmoney wrote:

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 am 

Thanks, never heard of either, will check both out. If there's 90s stuff like Timelord I'd take that too, I just mentally place them as having a very mid-2000s kind of sound for some reason. Too thrashy and not enough straight-ahead power metal to fit the mid/late 90s in my mind, but too technical to fit the early 90s or 80s, but I might have some gaps in my listening. The first song I'm hearing on YouTube of Krystos sounds promising, aggro but good, and Last Empire sounds exactly like what I want.

Just downloaded that Rellik comp as well, the 1986 tracks didn't do anything for me but yeah, these from their 1990 demo sound really strong, danke for that too. Skulls is my favorite on first impression, very sexy and melodic.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:42 am 

Yeah "Skulls" is excellent as well, as good as the two tracks that I posted I'd say, just didn't feel like posting 3 songs. :P

As far as 90s stuff, well, Cauldron Born is a fairly obvious one I'm sure you know. Also, I forgot to mention Dragonship's sole demo "Set the Sails" - it's a bit more straightforward than the other recs but it's still got close enough to the same feel that I think it's worth mentioning. I'm actually having trouble coming up with any 90s stuff, I'm sure you know Matthias Steele as well. There's Antithesis' debut album, which I raved about and compared to Cauldron Born in a review a few years back. I'm not nearly as into it nowadays, I think it kind of wore out its welcome to me, but its certainly in the same general style as Timelord. I think that about does me dry, enjoy!

EDIT: There is also Sacral Rage's relatively new debut 'Illusions in Infinite Void,' which is stylistically pretty similar to Nosferatu-era Helstar.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:38 pm 

RNG wrote:
if ya listened to Vetelgyus ya fucked up. Angel of Salvation + Under the Force of Courage are both top-notch tho

It was Under the Force of Courage. It took over six minutes for anything to really happen in the music - super lame. And the music itself just sounded like third rate PM to me, just rote and by the books without really being excited. Maybe I'll try it again sometime though.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It was Under the Force of Courage. It took over six minutes for anything to really happen in the music

The Time Before Dawn is badass though :(

Gintoki
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:04 pm 

I also don't like most part of Galneryus' discography. The first album and "Resurrection" are top notch but the rest is meh. Some gems here and there, but lots of filler inbetween.

Veonity on the other hand is kickass, I discovered them only recently. Their first album was "good", but the second album blows it away with ease. No symphonic elements, but kick ass guitar driven power metal like late 90s Gamma Ray or Early Crystal Eyes. Definitely in my Top 5 albums of 2016

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
RNG wrote:

It was Under the Force of Courage. It took over six minutes for anything to really happen in the music - super lame. And the music itself just sounded like third rate PM to me, just rote and by the books without really being excited. Maybe I'll try it again sometime though.

I just listened to this album today, and yeah--super boring and disappointing. Every album before it at least had 2-3 songs I liked, but this one had absolutely nothing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm 

Agent Steel's Alienigma is still a tremendously underrated album I think. The riffs are just fucking savage, the band sounds intense and Bruce Hall is raw, unpredictable and exciting... these songs are just my favorites they ever wrote honestly, just super propulsive, heavy stuff. I still think this is a great work.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:33 pm 

Yeah, I think me and you are the only ones around here in that camp, Emp. I mean, I wouldn't go as far to say that it's the best stuff they ever wrote - I definitely prefer Skeptic Apocalypse by a pretty sizable margin - but it's my favorite of the Bruce Hall albums for sure. I think the tone he uses there sounds basically like you said - raw, savage, furious. Nothing like the bad result you get when Bob Mitchell tries to do a similar style in some of the songs on Attacker's Soul Taker and The Unknown. Just brimming with insane power - like Cyriis, but in a much different way. The songs are also really tight, not a bad one to be had there. Every Agent Steel album is at least very, very good, and I'm definitely a fan of Omega Conspiracy and Order of the Illuminati, but Alienigma just hits the spot in a way few heavy/power/speed metal albums do. It's like speed metal on cocaine. I really ought to review it sometime.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm 

I used to listen to their other ones a fair bit and I'd probably still enjoy them now, but I'm just not much into the speed metal thing anymore - and Cyriis is just kind of irritating. Alienigma sounds like they reigned all of the crazy speed and coked-out falsettos in and instead just focused on writing killer heavy metal riffs and choruses. There's just a unique scrappiness and rawness to it, too, like the band is about to trip over themselves, they're so angry. It's good blood-pumping adrenaline fuel.

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:14 pm 

I definitely dig "Wash the Planet Clean". Gonna have to pop some of those last AS album onto my phone tonight.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:57 am 

NTT wrote:
I definitely dig "Wash the Planet Clean". Gonna have to pop some of those last AS album onto my phone tonight.

Easily their best song, if you ask me.

IF THERE'S A GOD!! I HOPE HE SAVES US ALL FROM YOU!! :np:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 am 

Have you guys heard Motor City Maniac by Crimson Storm? I originally clicked it as a goof because of the cover art but I have to say this tight little EP has got its hooks in me. It's ripping fast speed metal for the most part, but there is some nuance to the songwriting that really caught me off-guard. I think the quality of tunes/riffs was a huge surprise, but the vocalist was an even bigger eyebrow lifter. He has a very strange but ultra-manly voice that I think rules so hard. I originally thought it was a case of my bottom-floor expectations being razed, but I keep going back to this little barnstormer day after day and now I'm ordering a CD copy.

Check it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhc1GxEgnA

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:22 pm 

I love AGENT STEEL. Used to talk to Bruce Hall through email quite a bit. Got to meet him many years ago.

I love all their albums except "Alienigma". The Masters of Metal album is better than that IMHO.

I'm in the minority here I know, but I think "Omega Conspiracy" is their best album from start to finish.

My go-to AS song these days is "Earth Under Lucifer".

It's a shame Cyriis never got his act together to make another full album.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:37 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:

I think Timelord's new demo sounds SO promising:

Spoiler: show

Not really new, but have you listened to Archetype - "Dawning"?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I love all their albums except "Alienigma". The Masters of Metal album is better than that IMHO.

No way. I can respect the opinion that it's not as good as the other Bruce Hall albums, but the riffs on Alienigma beat the shit out of the riffs on 'From Worlds Beyond,' hands down.
Temple Of Blood wrote:
I think Timelord's new demo sounds SO promising:

Spoiler: show

Now that's what I'm talking about! Didn't know there was a newer Timelord promo, sounds rad. I guess nothing really came of it though, since it's been 4 years now since they recorded that. :(

macmoney wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545 ... 624  Next