Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:29 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I wouldn't say I "don't care" for his voice, it's more a case of his "normal" (non-Shelton-impersonating) voice not really being enough to carry songs that aren't very good otherwise. He's just kind of laid back and doesn't seem to push himself that hard anymore on most songs. On Playground he's fine, I really like "Into the Maelstrom" for example, just because it's a fine song and, being slower and moodier, it doesn't really call for a particularly energetic, urgent vocal approach. His moody baritone fits perfectly. On some of those songs on Mysterium though, he's just kind of...there. He hits the notes fine but the vocal melodies aren't that exciting and he doesn't really add anything to them. When you add that type of performance to a song that isn't very good to begin with, it just compounds itself. Shelton has this tendency lately to write a kind of "filler riff" where it's kinda chuggy and doesn't really go anywhere, and just sounds like he's spinning his wheels. This is fine if the song has other cool stuff to go with the filler riffs, but when it doesn't, it becomes really dull.

I have to say though that Hellroadie sounds a fair bit better on The Blessed Curse, which might be due to the songs being a lot more upbeat and not falling into that generic midpaced groove that Shelton sometimes gets stuck in. Having spent more time with it, I don't think I like it as much as Playground, but it's definitely a lot better than Mysterium.

This is actually a very articulate way to put it, I agree with all of that. "Into the Maelstrom" is definitely one of his better performances, and "Brethren of the Hammer." I just feel like a lot of the time he's trying not to get too aggressive or stand out too much, because 80s MR never really had much in the way of aggressive vocals that called attention to themselves all the time. Maybe sometimes, but not always.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:08 pm 

Am I the only one who liked Mysterium?

I thought it was a great album... ;A;

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:20 pm 

It was a fine album, just not MR playing at their A game. Songs like "Do What Thou Will" and "Hallowed Be Thy Grave" aren't really even close to the best they can do. But "Battle of Bonchester Bridge," "The Fountain" and the title track are cool.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:45 pm 

It was acceptable, yeah. "The Battle of Bonchester Bridge" is a fucking amazing track (featuring Shelton on vocals...), just an amazing buildup that is crowned with that perfect solo right at the perfect time. It's seriously one of my favorite 'Road tracks of all time...but the rest of the album ranges from decent to just dull. The title track isn't bad, it's decent enough, but it's probably the worst "album epic" of their whole discography. If there's a worse one, I can't think of it off the top of my head. I mean, compare it to the three (!) 7+ minute tracks from the previous album - "Grindhouse", "Abattoir de la Mort", and "Art of War" - or to "Tomes of Clay" from the subsequent album. It's just not even close.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 pm 

I think it's Playground of the Damned that makes Mysterium so disappointing. It feels exaggerated because Playground had such a delicious slow burn. It ended up being a REALLY satisfying album once it's mysteries were revealed to me. Those three songs specifically are incredible. Mysterium just doesn't land the same way, aside from Bonchester Bridge and The Fountain.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:43 pm 

Mysterium was pretty good and yes, 'Bonchester Bridge...' is one hell of a track. The long-winded epic about going to Australia was quite dull, though, and it's probably one of their weaker albums overall. Blessed Curse is definitely a stronger album, although I still need some time to digest it. Playground... is probably my favourite from the reunion albums, though, it's definitely the one I've played the most. I'd like to hear some of it live at some point, considering the only played 'Brethren of the Hammer' live (which I find to be the worst track on the album). I'll spend some more time with BC soon; it's just that I'm not in the mood for later day MR at the moment.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:33 pm 

I like Manilla Road but I really, really have to be in the mood for it. Their sound is too specific and unique I don't think I've ever just said to myself 'I'm just gonna listen to MR!' when I'm in the mood for heavy metal. Oh, and Voyager is by far their best recent album.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:46 pm 

In unrelated news, brushed across this piece of work the other day, a band (apparently only a duo) from Japan called the very '60s Strawberry Path and a tune called "Five More Pennies", yet the title of their sole '71 album is kinda coolly metallic with When the Raven Has Come to the Earth. Fairly straightfoward and even typical heavy blues rock, right? Picks up like a champ at about 3:20, then look forward to 3:52 for what bravely beckons the door of a blast beat. Not a drummer? Well, guitarists may notice the shredding going on all over creation behind the percussion.

Give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJLCl0Th1j4
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:23 pm 

Darkish power metal like Wicked Lester, anyone knows? If you dunno what am I talking about, watch this:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wi ... Dead/97977

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 am 

Recordings for new Breitenhold finished, I just have to make a better mix and edit some drum takes and then it's ready for release :hyper:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:18 pm 

I thought Mysterium was pretty solid, better than Playground to me. When I saw em live I was singing along to a bunch of Mysterium songs :D seemed to be the only one, lol.

I just realized I haven't listened to the new one much, time to correct that.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:42 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
In unrelated news, brushed across this piece of work the other day, a band (apparently only a duo) from Japan called the very '60s Strawberry Path and a tune called "Five More Pennies", yet the title of their sole '71 album is kinda coolly metallic with When the Raven Has Come to the Earth. Fairly straightfoward and even typical heavy blues rock, right? Picks up like a champ at about 3:20, then look forward to 3:52 for what bravely beckons the door of a blast beat. Not a drummer? Well, guitarists may notice the shredding going on all over creation behind the percussion.

Give it a shot.

That's pretty fun! The Japanese were really into that stuff at the time, apparently, what with Flower Travellin' Band and such. They seemed to be surprisingly aware of Black Sabbath and whatnot for a country so far away - I can't imagine record distribution could've been all that good at the time, did they rely on imports or did their radio stations catch on? Seems like it would've been a very expensive hobby.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:59 pm 

MDL666 wrote:
Darkish power metal like Wicked Lester, anyone knows? If you dunno what am I talking about, watch this:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wi ... Dead/97977

Headhunter is the closest thing I can think of:

Also maybe Oracle & Wicked Maraya:

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:43 pm 

Holy fuck ! Oracle is really, really, really good ! I've just checked out some of their other songs and this is an exceptional US power act that deserved a much better fate.

@ The Animator : Thanks !

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:53 am 

@ Riffs, Definitely pick up "Desolate Kings: The Oracle Anthology" its fairly easy to obtain.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:31 pm 

Listening to the Hellwell album today for the first time in a while, I have to say this is a hell of a lot better than I remember. "Deadly Nightshade" is still pretty meh, but the rest is great. Really serves to highlight how mediocre 'Mysterium' is in context, Shelton just having a blunder I guess.

I've been poking around into some obscure shit in my spare time again lately so I'll throw out a few recs as well. Brothers Grimm is a pretty out there progressive metal band with USPM touches; not the greatest thing out there, but pretty cool and unusual. Midnight Priest's album from last year is one of the better revival-style releases I've heard, a definite step-up from the previous album. Finally, for those who haven't heard it, Vhaldemar's 'I Made My Own Hell' is an often overlooked power/speed ripper that borders on top-tier and is just constantly balls-out.

On a somewhat related note, what are everyone's favorite h/p/s albums from last year or this year? So far I've got the aforementioned Midnight Priest album, MR's 'The Blessed Curse,' BG's 'Beyond the Red Mirror,' Satan's Host's 'Pre-Dating God,' Solitary Sabred's 'Redemption through Force,' and Cauldron Born's EP. What else have you guys been digging?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:35 pm 

Yeah, the Hellwell album was much better when I listened to it after a while. It's more interesting to me than most of modern MR.

For 2015, I'd add the Finnish metal of Lord Fist and Ranger, perhaps the 2nd Legionnaire demo as well, all good stuff. Trial's Vessel is a pretty great album too, a bit how In Solitude (RIP :( ) would sound if they never released Sister as their 3rd album. So far, maybe it's only me, but 2015 has sucked for trad metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:22 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
favorite h/p/s albums from last year or this year?

Visigoth - The Revenant King. Well crafted epic metal, with hooks.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Midnight Priest's album from last year is one of the better revival-style releases I've heard, a definite step-up from the previous album.

Are you serious? It was a gigantic step down from the debut, mostly because of big lineup changes that had them switch out their main riff-writer for some other guy who writes decent but rather generic trad revival stuff. Also the change from Portuguese to heavily accented Engrish was not a good choice, nor was the shift away from occult, serious metal toward more tongue-in-cheek meta-metal. If their second album was the debut from a new band I wouldn't be disappointed at all, but considering how good the debut was, I find the second one to be a massive letdown.

On the upside, the former guitarist went on to form a new band, The Unholy, which have already put out a demo and are actually performing this weekend at Keep It True. The demo's a bit rough, but the core songwriting is already way better than Midnight Priest's newest.

With a little polish and punching-up, the debut LP ought to be amazing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:40 am 

Man, the second acoustic disc of the new Manilla Road, After the Muse, is fucking amazing...I might like it even more than The Blessed Curse itself, not sure yet. It's taken a while to grow on me, but the songs are just so good - uninhibited, masterful playing, great vocal melodies, warm and nostalgic atmospheres. The new version of "All Hallows Eve" just shows why MR is so good...huge, dense arrangements, great leads, haunting vocals. Really just a definitive statement for them. I hope we get more acoustic stuff like this from them.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:06 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:

Give it a shot.

This is nifty. Could've been even heavier with a bass, but perhaps the guitarist was trying to pull that dynamic off on his own.

failsafeman wrote:
That's pretty fun! The Japanese were really into that stuff at the time, apparently, what with Flower Travellin' Band and such. They seemed to be surprisingly aware of Black Sabbath and whatnot for a country so far away - I can't imagine record distribution could've been all that good at the time, did they rely on imports or did their radio stations catch on? Seems like it would've been a very expensive hobby.

Japan has always been a really good music market for major labels, so Sabbath albums were given proper Japanese releases in 1970. I suppose it's an efficient and high-priced market, so you see things like the Queensryche Live in Japan video being filmed at headlining shows a month before their debut was released.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:26 pm 

Yeah, I suppose that's true, it's still surprising to me. I guess Japan has long had a sort of "western fetish", much as the US has had a "Japanese fetish".

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:32 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I guess Japan has long had a sort of "western fetish", much as the US has had a "Japanese fetish".

It's way more than that. Americans treat Japanese media like, "Hey, this stuff's pretty neat, I wanna check out more," while Japan treats American media like the Ark of the fuckin' Covenant.

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:36 pm 

Any good power metal songs recently?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:48 pm 

Lensherr wrote:
Any good power metal songs recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoS0IhI_b-Q

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 pm 

He said good power metal songs.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 am 

failsafeman wrote:
He said good power metal songs.

What're you trying to say, huh? :grr:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 am 

That your taste sucks balls :)

Pretty decent Russian power/thrash, made me think of Rage and Communic.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:33 pm 

Virgin Steele have given an update on their new album (which is basically the same info of the last update repeated) and revealed their artwork of their upcoming album.

Spoiler: show
Steamhammer - News
Press Release - Monday April 27th, 2015

VIRGIN STEELE change the title for their forthcoming new studio album in “Nocturnes of Hellfire & Damnation”.

David DeFeis says about the new album:

"Our new album which is called "NOCTURNES OF HELLFIRE & DAMNATION", is not a concept album per se, but there is a through line that connects the tracks. The lyrics essentially deal with relationship issues and by that I mean....the connections between entities....as in all sorts of beings, not only human beings…but also Gods & Goddesses, Spirits, Elements, or whatever, plus various creatures, animal, vegetable and or mineral, but largely the album is about connections between people. People and their belief systems, people and their Gods or Goddesses…people and their life philosophies and also the various substances we invest or inject into our daily or nightly rituals and our worldview, and all the complexities of what drives us, makes us who we are and takes us where we may…or may not be going. To sum it up this album is about....all the various ways in which humans can entangle themselves, or destroy themselves…so the album's title essentially encompasses what the vibe of the whole Work is about. The title relates to the album in the way that the title “NOBLE SAVAGE”, or “AGE OF CONSENT”, expressed each of those particular Works. The title provides a framework and connective tissue, but each song is really its own thing.

Musically the album is pretty heavy, high energy, often dark, at turns melancholy, and at turns aggressive or angry sounding. It does have that over the top bombastic heaviness that we are about, and the whole Barbaric-Romantic thing that we are known for. The overarching theme that comes to mind when I think about the album or listen to it is passion…raw passion. There are big monolithic riffs, moody chord changes, “classical” type bits, sort of Bluesy moments....it retains the VIRGIN STEELE signature, but it adds new dimensions to it. In a strange way it "feels" to me like it could have been the album we might have made to follow up "NOBLE SAVAGE", had I been able to devote all my energies into the more bombastic or progressive side of my musical nature at that time, rather than trying to appease some of the other "factions" around me who wanted some kind of a "hit"...whatever that meant at the time. So to conclude...we have infused the recordings with all that we have gone through over these past months, every fiber of our being.....and I think this album will be something our Fans will really enjoy! "

SPV / Steamhammer will release the new studio album on June 17th in Scandinavia, June 19th in Germany, June 22nd in Europe and June 23rd in the USA.

It will come out with three different covers as a standard 1CD version (the gargoyle cover), 2CD digipak version (the angel cover), 2 LP gatefold version (the flute playing skeleton cover) and download.

LP cover:

Digi pack cover:

Jewel case cover:

These cover artworks are pretty solid (except for the last one which is downright ugly) and gives me the idea the band is definitely pretty inspired. Judging by the vague description of the musical direction I get the idea this new album will be shorter and more straightforward than the latest two albums but not as epic and grandiose as the ''classic'' material. Who knows, I hope a new song will be put online soon which will definitely reveal a lot more than the info that we're given.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:53 pm 

Jesus that album title is even more pretentious-sounding than 'The Black Light Bacchanalia.' Maybe Pursino had some more influence on this one, but reading that update DeFeis has clearly fallen off the deep end and isn't coming back...I don't have high hopes for the future of VS.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:12 pm 

Yeah I'm a little afraid/nervous of how Defeis's voice is going to sound like.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:02 am 

His voice sounds very good on the acoustic disc on the Invictus reissue. As good as on the classic material really. Infact, the version of ''Perfect Mansions'' is one I prefer over the studio one which says something. The problem with DeFeis isn't his voice itself, it's the vocal lines that he have decided to write which can range from absolutely powerful, especially for his age, to absolutely ineffective and whimpy.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:25 am 

Was listening to ADX just earlier. French 80s metal can almost do no wrong.
Been spinning a lot of classic heavy/power/speed metal since keep it true.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:47 am 

Aydross wrote:
Yeah I'm a little afraid/nervous of how Defeis's voice is going to sound like.

I'm worried about how the drums and guitars are going to sound. And also, who'll be playing the guitars.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:06 am 

The vocals, guitars, drums - so many things could go wrong with the new Virgin Steele...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:58 am 

New Natur track! Pretty damn good. https://electricassaultrecords.bandcamp ... invitation

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:08 pm 

Yeah as I've said before, this new Virgin Steele is an important turning point. Either the band turns it around and goes back to their former glory, and Black Light Blablabla is remembered as a slump in an otherwise excellent string of records, or it's another dud, and Virgin Steele slide into oblivion. I mean, they're not getting any younger, and it takes them forever to release a new record these days. I just don't think they have enough of a career left in them to get bad for a while and then have a comeback later. Their last truly great record was in 1999, so honestly I'm not holding my breath. Things have been slipping since Atreus Part II, and it would take a lot of changes to turn that around.

Lensherr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:58 pm 

Anyone knows of a site that only lists release of power metal album, preferably per year? That would be handy so I can just listen to everything.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:34 pm 

Lensherr wrote:
Anyone knows of a site that only lists release of power metal album, preferably per year? That would be handy so I can just listen to everything.

Here you go, 7990 releases. Tell me which ones were good.
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... cal#albums

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:18 am 

If anyone here is into fast, heavy, symphonically (is that a word?) tinged metal with serious balls, I can highly recommend the Greek band Crosswind. It's all about the riffs, the symphonic stuff is really just to add a bit more of an epic quality to it, which I really enjoy, considering the large number of bands who do it the other way around and base the riffs on the symphony. Oh, and the singer has a great voice (although maybe he uses his head voice a bit too much). I found this band by clicking the "random band" link here a bunch, and this one has honestly impressed me the most of the bands I've found through that method.

Crosswind - Vicious Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIR0CPhY0g

PS, I'm pretty much brand new here, so hi! Hopefully I will stick around!

Obey the dolphin!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475 ... 625  Next