Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm 

Hi to all my brothers of metal, I have a request to all of you. Do you guys know any bands or full length albums that play in the style of thrash metal but with rock n roll and heavy metal influences? To illustrate what I mean I will show you three Sodom songs that have the kind of sound that Iam looking for.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:08 pm 

Those songs sound more like Motorhead-styled speed metal to me, maybe a bit tougher but barely even thrash. I'm sure you've heard Motorhead already (a lot of their stuff isn't as heavy as those songs but they definitely have some material that is, like Orgasmatron), but the modern, slightly "blackened" speed metal stuff that's become popular might be up your alley. Have you heard Midnight?

But if you're really just looking for thrash with heavy metal influences, I'd say Overkill's debut would be a good place to start. Very heavy metallish and melodic.

I don't know how much you already know but if you're versed on all this stuff already I might not be the best person to help. Just figured I'd give some input since no one else has! Hope it helps.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Those songs sound more like Motorhead-styled speed metal to me, maybe a bit tougher but barely even thrash. I'm sure you've heard Motorhead already (a lot of their stuff isn't as heavy as those songs but they definitely have some material that is, like Orgasmatron), but the modern, slightly "blackened" speed metal stuff that's become popular might be up your alley. Have you heard Midnight?

But if you're really just looking for thrash with heavy metal influences, I'd say Overkill's debut would be a good place to start. Very heavy metallish and melodic.

I don't know how much you already know but if you're versed on all this stuff already I might not be the best person to help. Just figured I'd give some input since no one else has! Hope it helps.

Thanks for the Midnight recommendation my friend, I know them by name but I haven't listened to them with attention, I will check them out! As for Motorhead Iam a big fan, I had the luck of seeing Lemmy live two times, love his music, rest in peace. I love Overkill too, the first album is amazing, to give you another example of what Iam looking for.

Is like thrash metal, but heavily influenced by traditional heavy metal and rock n roll, I have only picked a handful of this songs because most thrash bands don't play this style or only have one or two songs in this style and I wanted to know if there are any that play this slower, more melodic and rocker kind of thrash, that is an almost like traditional heavy metal but with a thrash metal twist and feel.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm 

Hmm okay, that does give me a little bit of a better idea of what you're looking for. It's definitely not a sound I've heard a ton but I think Headhunter from Germany might fit the bill.

Metal Church comes to mind as well, though I'm guessing you're familiar with them. Something like Blessing in Disguise provides a good blend of heavy and thrash metal with a bit of rock and roll I think.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Hmm okay, that does give me a little bit of a better idea of what you're looking for. It's definitely not a sound I've heard a ton but I think Headhunter from Germany might fit the bill.

Metal Church comes to mind as well, though I'm guessing you're familiar with them. Something like Blessing in Disguise provides a good blend of heavy and thrash metal with a bit of rock and roll I think.

Love both Metal Church and Headhunter, excellent recommendations, thank you very much my friend! And I agree is not a very usual sound in thrash bands, Surf Nicaragua by Sacred Reich has a surf rock solo in the middle of the song that is pretty cool. If you remember stuff like that feel free to recommend it to me!

Reply to topic