* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 am 

I can help you with a couple of names. Check the following out:

Coffin Dust - Ancient Rites of Buried Evil
They're pretty awesome. Vocals are guttural though, but that shouldn't take away from the music.

Funerot - Invasion from the Death Dimension
I fuckin' love this. Not the easiest of thrash/death crossover albums to get into, but once you do, it's kickass.

Dr Living Dead - Dr. Living Dead!
A slightly modern take on crossover but they're still pretty fun. They've got a gimmicky getup.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am 

Coffin Dust - Sounds good, but the vocals doesn't work for me

Funerot - Better, will check out their debut album, is their second album similar?

Dr. Living Dead - Sounds alright, but gets a bit repititive over time.

Thanks, please keep 'em coming everyone!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:41 am 

You did mention 'underground crossover' but at the same time you've mentioned bands like Carnivore, Corrosion etc. So my question would be, did you purposely omit DRI from the list you mentioned because of sheer obviousness? If not, then check out 'Crossover' and 'Dealing with It'

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:16 am 

I left DRI out because they were obvious and the fact that don't really like them. I have heard both of those albums though.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Funerot - Better, will check out their debut album, is their second album similar?

Everything up to ...And Then You Fucking Die, Man is similar to Invasions... and well worth checking out. The Stranded in Time EP is my favorite thing they put out and the Nova II EP is also really good. ATYFD,M also rules but it's definitely a departure from the sound they'd established up to that point, way more punk and also rock ala Thin Lizzy influence and less thrash and crossover vibes.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:02 pm 

The thing I've realized with D.R.I. is their vastly different styles. I'm not a fan of Crossover beside 'The Five Year Plan', but I think Thrash Zone is a masterful beast.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:20 pm 

Dealing With It rules them all.

Batakanda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:42 pm 

What do you guys think about this?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Hi everyone! I need some underground crossover thrash recs, since the more punkish thrash metal is what I prefer. I've listened to quite a bit of thrash, so nothing too obvious. Some crossover albums I dig:

Wehrmacht - Shark attack(probably my favourite), biermacht
S.O.D. - Speak English or die
Corrosion of conformity - animosity, blind(not sure if this counts as crossover)
Iron Reagan - worse than dead (probably more hardcore than crossover)
Carnivore - carnivore, retaliation

Hope some of you can help me out!

Crumbsuckers - Beast On My Back

English Dogs - Where Legend Began

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Coffin Dust - Sounds good, but the vocals doesn't work for me

Dr. Living Dead - Sounds alright, but gets a bit repititive over time.

Thanks, please keep 'em coming everyone!

Hey Zombie, try SSS and RDP. RDP have quite a large discography, its been a while since Iistened to them but as I remeber Brazil was a good album.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:04 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Hi everyone! I need some underground crossover thrash recs, since the more punkish thrash metal is what I prefer. I've listened to quite a bit of thrash, so nothing too obvious. Some crossover albums I dig:

Corrosion of conformity - animosity, blind(not sure if this counts as crossover)

Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted http://youtu.be/323jnOT-SSo
Cryptic Slaughter - Life in Grave http://youtu.be/CJRAEGystHw
Psychic Possessor - Toxin Diffusion http://youtu.be/e_erLRPkBFM
Rose Rose - Kill Your Brain http://youtu.be/ROnVeLD6qQE
Rose Rose - Skatehead '88 EP http://youtu.be/upMl7I2TJ5k
D.F.C. - Igreja Quadragular do Triâgulo Redondo http://youtu.be/gC2B243XHKg

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:57 am 

STORMM wrote:
Hey Zombie, try SSS and RDP. RDP have quite a large discography, its been a while since Iistened to them but as I remeber Brazil was a good album.

Ratos De Porao is a great rec, the Brasil album in particular, i've always been partial to Crucificados pelo Sistema myself but it doesn't fit the request as well

Since you like the more punk side of crossover check these out:

Concrete Sox

Sacrilege

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:09 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Sacrilege

Not my request but thanx, great record!

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
i've always been partial to Crucificados pelo Sistema myself but it doesn't fit the request as well

Get the '82 demo and Periferia compilation as well if you like their hardcore days!

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:

Check out Suddent Impact and Beyond Possession. Thinking of best crossover acts from 80's!

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:01 pm 

Hey guys, I've been wanting to expand my thrash playlists lately. What I'm looking for is both a style and a feel; on Metallica's album ...And Justice For All, you've got that tight, very technical and almost mechanical sound but also a strong vibe of aggression and pessimism in the lyrics. I'm not really looking for Metallica worship, but basically I want something technical, progressive, very cold and precise and with accusative/cynical lyrics.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

Been jamming this one lately, pretty cool album that may fill your request. ;)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:21 pm 

captaincrunchy wrote:
Hey guys, I've been wanting to expand my thrash playlists lately. What I'm looking for is both a style and a feel; on Metallica's album ...And Justice For All, you've got that tight, very technical and almost mechanical sound but also a strong vibe of aggression and pessimism in the lyrics. I'm not really looking for Metallica worship, but basically I want something technical, progressive, very cold and precise and with accusative/cynical lyrics.

Would Heathen's 'Victims of Deception' and 'Evolution of Chaos' be too obvious? If not check them out.

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:09 pm 

androdion wrote:
Been jamming this one lately, pretty cool album that may fill your request. ;)

Not bad at all, I dig the riffs and the feel's about how I wanted. Vocals are kind of weak, though.

STORMM wrote:
captaincrunchy wrote:

Would Heathen's 'Victims of Deception' and 'Evolution of Chaos' be too obvious? If not check them out.

I've tried them before, but the music isn't as aggressive as I'd like. Still a very talented band, though.

T h a n a t o s
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 am 

Tantara might be what you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRWJHZs-Vg
The fourth album by Dominus definitely has that Metallica feel (while not being a total worship), although it is neither very technical nor progressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9AHiaqgg_M
Also, how about Dark Angel (I know it is quite obvious)? Not close to Metallica, but amazingly fits this request: "technical, progressive, very cold and precise and with accusative/cynical lyrics". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBbY7pSH-M

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:41 pm 

captaincrunchy wrote:

Justice is a unique masterpiece. It may surprise you that the closest thing I've heard to its sound and structure is early Meshuggah. I don't pay much attention to lyrics, so I can't help you there.

Here's another Justice-like cut off the album.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:23 pm 

Thrash similar to Slayer 83-90, Sepultura 86-91, Kreator 86-90, Sodom 84-89, Destruction 84-86, Sarcofago 87-91, Hellhammer/Early Celtic Frost, Demolition Hammer, Morbid Saint you get the picture. I will always never be to proud or afraid to ask for recs on the basis that I might not look like a little know it all who can no longer consume useful info. I would like to say NO METALHEAD knows everything so everyone stop acting like you do.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:33 pm 

the_heathen wrote:
Thrash similar to Slayer 83-90, Sepultura 86-91, Kreator 86-90, Sodom 84-89, Destruction 84-86, Sarcofago 87-91, Hellhammer/Early Celtic Frost, Demolition Hammer, Morbid Saint you get the picture. I will always never be to proud or afraid to ask for recs on the basis that I might not look like a little know it all who can no longer consume useful info. I would like to say NO METALHEAD knows everything so everyone stop acting like you do.

This is a recent thrash find that I reviewed recently. Maybe you'll like it.

Like your reviews?

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 pm 

Thanks mjollnir! They sound great!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:39 pm 

the_heathen wrote:
Thanks mjollir! They sound great!

Anytime bro. Also check out the black metal thread. I left you some recs there too.

Like your reviews?

MetalL777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 am 

captaincrunchy wrote:

I found a recent thrash metal underground project of Brazil, I think it is recent because it only has one song so far.
Sounds like a mix of Metallica and Testament.
I quite enjoyed it, see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7EjfsXwSKY

SveaUltima
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 am 

It's quite embarrassing for me to admit this but I don't know anything about thrash really. Except the big four. Could somebody link some good bands that would give me a good start on the Genre?

Thank you.

MetalL777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:12 am 

Has a new band that I really liked, called Lost Society.
Check for Testament to!

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:59 pm 

SveaUltima wrote:
It's quite embarrassing for me to admit this but I don't know anything about thrash really. Except the big four. Could somebody link some good bands that would give me a good start on the Genre?

Thank you.

Well you'll need a couple of early Sepultura records:

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:33 pm 

SveaUltima wrote:

Thank you.

You need some Kreator in your life....

Like your reviews?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:24 am 

SveaUltima wrote:

Listing all the good ones could take a week. I'll suggest a few excellent modern ones and throw in a few classics. I'm sure others will fill in the other classics.

Modern:

Onslaught - Sounds of Violence

Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine

Warfect - Exoneration Denied

Classics:

Overkill - Horrorscope

Testament - Legacy

Sepultura - Arise

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 pm 

Just stumbled upon this one I completely forgot about. The vocalist is the Mexican Steve Souza and the riffs are very solid too. Certainly one of the best thrash albums during the resurgence period.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:00 pm 

I'm interested in checking out some thrash metal bands where you walk away from it thinking not only "whoa those were some killer riffs" but also "and what a great singer too!". I'm not looking for any specific kind of singing, so long as it's pitched (not harsh vocals as cool as those can be, but gritty stuff is great) and plays a big role in the quality of the music in some way.

Last edited by Metantoine on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to the thrash help thread.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:44 pm 

SveaUltima wrote:

Thank you.

Are you looking for origin stuff or just "good" albums?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
where you walk away from it thinking not only "whoa those were some killer riffs" but also "and what a great singer too!".

This is more like "whoa that was some killer singer" but also "and what great riffs too!", and leans toward a more complex, groove side of thrash. Here's a couple of songs that shows his versatility. He can go from Phil Anselmo to Geoff Tate.

Biomechanical - The Empires of the Worlds

Biomechanical - Relinquished Destiny

Mikrofob
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:35 am 

Nice vibe, Panikk from Slovenia!

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:41 pm 

I'm looking for Mexican thrash or death/thrash albums from the 80's through early 90's. Old school only, no exceptions. I'm also looking for bands that released full length albums, not just demos. I would prefer albums with decent sound quality and production. More on the thrash than death side of things. Any help with this would be appreciated.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 pm 

Sounds like you'd have better luck using the search function on the site with such objective, specific parameters. Give it a whirl.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:13 pm 

Ok i recently got into Coven (i guess they changed their name to Coven 6669, kinda stupid) and i was wanting more late 80's early 90's thrash that brings the fuckin riffs. For context, i prefer Morbid Saint's second album to the first one, i like chunky heavy riffs that mean business, production is not a factor. I'm aware of just about all the staple bands, so no need to recommend Vio-lence or Coma of Souls. That second and third tier is expansive though and if i missed a band like Coven for so long then i'm anxious to see what else i might be missing. Again not just any thrash from the 80s/90s i want something heavy perhaps bordering on death metal as long as it riffs crunchy and hard. Also yes i know of Massacra, Invocator, Messiah, and Demolition Hammer they would be good recs but i know them already. I'm also big on Attomica and Sepultura if that helps. Just a shot, if there's nothing then thanks for reading anyways.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Ok i recently got into Coven (i guess they changed their name to Coven 6669, kinda stupid) and i was wanting more late 80's early 90's thrash that brings the fuckin riffs. For context, i prefer Morbid Saint's second album to the first one, i like chunky heavy riffs that mean business, production is not a factor. I'm aware of just about all the staple bands, so no need to recommend Vio-lence or Coma of Souls. That second and third tier is expansive though and if i missed a band like Coven for so long then i'm anxious to see what else i might be missing. Again not just any thrash from the 80s/90s i want something heavy perhaps bordering on death metal as long as it riffs crunchy and hard. Also yes i know of Massacra, Invocator, Messiah, and Demolition Hammer they would be good recs but i know them already. I'm also big on Attomica and Sepultura if that helps. Just a shot, if there's nothing then thanks for reading anyways.

I assume you're talking about the Death Walks Behind You album.

How about ...

D.A.M. - Inside Out
D.A.M. - Human Wreckage
Protector - A Shedding of Skin
Devastation - Idolatry

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:

Some bands/albums that bring the riffs (though you've probably heard most of them):

Razor - Everything
Sadus - Illusions/Swallowed In Black (insanely speedy stuff, particularly Illusions)
Blood Feast - Kill For Pleasure
Cyclone - Brutal Destruction
Morbid Scream - The Signal To Attack: 1986-1990 (not riffs upon riffs in the same way as Eternal Nightmare, for example, but the riffs that are here are great)
Sindrome - Into The Halls of Extermination/Vault of Inner Conscience
Assassin - The Upcoming Terror
Gammacide - Victims of Science
Metal Messiah - Honour Among Thieves
Paradox - Heresy (pretty technical, but the riffs are great)
Incubus - Beyond The Unknown (this one is a major ripper. On par with Demolition Hammer for heaviness)
Arachnid - Arachnid
Torture - Storm Alert (this album is brutal beyond belief. There are some questionable moments, but is essential nonetheless)

Edit: I'll second that Devastation recommendation above. Not sure how I missed that one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 136  Next