Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:30 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
On a sidenote: Can someone recommend me some brutal thrash? I already know the German bands, D.F.A., Morbid Saint, Brazilian bands, etc. Anymore good brutal thrash bands?

The search function will bring you many recs. Try the search with the word "Demolition Hammer." And of course, don't forget to check Demolition Hammer out before you do the search. Also, Merciless from Sweden is one of the best brutal thrash bands. Other great bands include, but are not limited to, Epidemic, Energetic Krusher, Exhorder, Devastation, Num Skull, Necrosis...
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:33 am 

I'm really, really, really loving Darkness Descends. Can't get the title track out of my head.

Self-reference is generally bad unless it's in humor - Type O Negative are a good example. Unintentional self-parody lyrics (poser killings, etc.) are to me the equivalent of rappers rapping about rapping. Instead of gettin money and bangin hoes, they're stomping emos and destroying false metal. Lyrics like those are trite and make me take the music less seriously.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 am 

Chaos_Llama wrote:
I'm really, really, really loving Darkness Descends. Can't get the title track out of my head.

Self-reference is generally bad unless it's in humor - Type O Negative are a good example. Unintentional self-parody lyrics (poser killings, etc.) are to me the equivalent of rappers rapping about rapping. Instead of gettin money and bangin hoes, they're stomping emos and destroying false metal. Lyrics like those are trite and make me take the music less seriously.

Agreed on both, espeacially the first point (Darkness Descends). ;)
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 am 

Kruel wrote:
Chaos_Llama wrote:

Agreed on both, espeacially the first point (Darkness Descends). ;)

:thumbsup:
we sail across the sea!

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:04 pm 

Speaking of Type O Negative, I am looking for some thrash with vocals that sound like Peter Steele. Low and bassy ones. Anybody similar to Matt Barlow is also cool. I've just heard to many screamers lately. Also, does Steele sing the same way in Carnivore as he does in Type O Negative? I haven't heard any Carnivore yet so I wouldn't know.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:18 pm 

If anyone here hasn't heard of Cranium (Swe) ... get on that, right now.
(and don't let the years of their releases fool you)
:np:

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:28 pm 

All this retro-thrash talk keeps reminding me of... HEATHEN. When the FUCK is that damn album going to be released? It's already spring/summer and there hasn't been any new information on it :cry:.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:39 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Reminds me a bit of Tyrant's Reign, awesome stuff too. Definitely don't overlook that one Masked Jackal and others. ;)
Sorry, this is going back a day or two, but I just checked these guys out and their EP is ripping my ass apart.

Another case of "WHY DIDN'T THESE GUYS MAKE IT" in the history of thrash :nono:

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:45 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Reminds me a bit of Tyrant's Reign, awesome stuff too. Definitely don't overlook that one Masked Jackal and others. ;)
Sorry, this is going back a day or two, but I just checked these guys out and their EP is ripping my ass apart.

What seriously? I always thought their EP was bland as fuck. Not to say anything against the band itself. A lot of their other songs were really awesome. But once they started to go all Ride the Lightning in terms of composition it all started sounding unimpressive. I'd recommend their s/t compilation over the EP anyday. There they don't do that polished ballad this, song structure that--they just flat out thrash all over the goddamn place and it sounds damn fucking awesome. At least for the first half of the record, then it gets back to the EP style...

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 pm 

Amerigo wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

What seriously? I always thought their EP was bland as fuck. Not to say anything against the band itself. A lot of their other songs were really awesome. But once they started to go all Ride the Lightning in terms of composition it all started sounding unimpressive. I'd recommend their s/t compilation over the EP anyday. There they don't do that polished ballad this, song structure that--they just flat out thrash all over the goddamn place and it sounds damn fucking awesome. At least for the first half of the record, then it gets back to the EP style...
The only song that really seems like a ballad is the last one (which isn't that bad) but 'Jack the Ripper', 'Deadly Eyes' and 'Reign of Terror' were all awesome. Maybe I just like generic thrash :|

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:03 pm 

Meh. I'd say they at least deserved more than what they got, like a full length release. I dig em', their s/t song is insanely catchy!

@Masked_Jackal and others: If you like the wailing higher pitched vocalists in thrash, then I'd recommend Deus Vult (Soul Assault EP is awesome) and Realm's 'Endless War' (for the bit more obscure). I dunno, they just kind of randomly came to mind right now.

Though I'll admit, I originally loved 'Endless War', but it kind of lost its touch after time for me.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:07 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Meh. I'd say they at least deserved more than what they got, like a full length release. I dig em', their s/t song is insanely catchy!

@Masked_Jackal and others: If you like the wailing higher pitched vocalists in thrash, then I'd recommend Deus Vult (Soul Assault EP is awesome) and Realm's 'Endless War'. I dunno, they just kind of randomly came to mind right now.

Though I'll admit, I originally loved 'Endless War', but it kind of lost its touch after time for me.
Realm is good stuff, but I tend to skip around Endless War a bit and I'm not too big on Suiciety.

I believe I'm the one who recomended you Deus Vult a little while back (*oh snap*) :D

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:09 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

@Masked_Jackal and others: If you like the wailing higher pitched vocalists in thrash, then I'd recommend Deus Vult (Soul Assault EP is awesome) and Realm's 'Endless War'. I dunno, they just kind of randomly came to mind right now.

Realm is good stuff, but I tend to skip around Endless War a bit and I'm not too big on Suiciety.

I believe I'm the one who recomended you Deus Vult a little while back (*oh snap*) :D

Touche'! XD

Yeah, I do think that was you.

I gotta agree with Suiciety, I could never get into that one at all.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:06 pm 

I love Tyrant's Reign EP. The song Jack the Ripper is killer.

I don't like Realm though. The vocals are to much for me.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:36 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
If anyone here hasn't heard of Cranium (Swe) ... get on that, right now.
(and don't let the years of their releases fool you)
:np:

Cranium is a must have! Speed Metal Satan, Slaughter, Sentence are all awesome. Such funny and clever harsher thrash metal, definitely fooled me when I first heard there stuff, woulda never guessed it was late 90's work.

Top quality heavier/harsher thrash :metal:

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:20 am 

Bonded By Blood's debut album leaked ... not among the best retro-thrash but not bad either. Probably going to slide in the "good, but not good enough to listen to on a regular basis" category.

Cranium and Realm kick ass!

Speed metal sentence! Sentence of death!
Speed metal sentence! Sentenced for life!
:headbang:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:21 am 

DGYDP wrote:
Bonded By Blood's debut album leaked ... not among the best retro-thrash but not bad either. Probably going to slide in the "good, but not good enough to listen to on a regular basis" category.

omglink?

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:04 am 

It's on Thrashmageddon, first page in the "new releases" section. Too lazy to go and copy the link.

Oh and apparently Guillotine (SWE) are working on a new album ... the samples on their myspace are fucking great. 2008 is turning out to be one of the greatest years for thrash since 1992!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:55 am 

DGYDP wrote:
Oh and apparently Guillotine (SWE) are working on a new album ... the samples on their myspace are fucking great. 2008 is turning out to be one of the greatest years for thrash since 1992!

Wow, badass.

Though I wonder how the hell this works with two members from Nocturnal Rites. :lol:

edit: I am seriously digging these guys. Is their 1997 release good? Okay, I'm listening to a track from it now ... downloading from TM. :D

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:47 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
It's on Thrashmageddon, first page in the "new releases" section. Too lazy to go and copy the link.

UNFORTUNATELY SOME OF US AREN'T LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE THRASHMAGEDDON INVITES.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:50 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

Check your pms.

SouthofHeaven11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:05 pm 

Man, Thrashmaggedon really pissed me off. I sent them three links, the guy responded back and said they weren't formatted properly. So I formatted them right, sent them back, and never heard from them again.

So...could I get an invite? :)

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:59 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

Check your pms.

Can I get an invite to?
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:43 am 

Visionary wrote:
DGYDP wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

Check your pms.

Can I get an invite to?

Me too! PLEEZ DGYDP! Soulseek's kinda shitty when it comes to new music!
we sail across the sea!

Gooner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:47 am 

I myself have a few T-mag invites so who wants one just pm and I'll send you one

Classic.

http://www.last.fm/user/gooner_89

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:46 am 

Got an invite from Gooner. :thumbsup:

Bloody Butcher (POL) - 1994 - Uncover The Justice

A must have thrash album. PM me if you have trouble finding it. I believe it's their only release.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:57 am 

I don't have enough invitations left so I wont be able to reply to the requests in this topic. Sorry.

The new Merciless Death leaked and it definitely wasn't worth the hype. Not that impressive, to be honest.
Oh and new Pitiful Reign in a couple of days! Can't wait.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 am 

Where is the sister and brotherhood of heavy metal. It's not a good attitude Thrashmageddon to piss off.. Take all those albums and put your head down and your ass in the air or put your ass into it..

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 am 

NNeverland wrote:
Where is the sister and brotherhood of heavy metal. It's not a good attitude Thrashmageddon to piss off.. Take all those albums and put your head down and your ass in the air or put your ass into it..

Uh... what?

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:45 am 

DGYDP wrote:
I don't have enough invitations left so I wont be able to reply to the requests in this topic. Sorry.

The new Merciless Death leaked and it definitely wasn't worth the hype. Not that impressive, to be honest.
Oh and new Pitiful Reign in a couple of days! Can't wait.

Yeah if you search on last.fm, there's a track for free on the new album up there. I heard it, and... the dude changed his vocals... and now they're even worse than what they were before. I read an early review on some site and the reviewer said, "this album was already made in 1983. It's called Show No Mercy."

So, yeah.

PS. DGYDP wasn't talking about Thrashmageddon invites.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:52 pm 

Prodd wrote:
Got an invite from Gooner. :thumbsup:

Bloody Butcher (POL) - 1994 - Uncover The Justice

A must have thrash album. PM me if you have trouble finding it. I believe it's their only release.

Thanks for your recommendation. I could easly download it. I need band's biographie..

KilluA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:04 pm 

This is a discussion thread also?

Have anybody heard Toxodeth?
I've been listening to them lately

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:30 am 

NNeverland wrote:
Thanks for your recommendation. I could easly download it. I need band's biographie..

I think you'll find it on the Metal Archives list. :)

Also try Death Mechanism - Human Error/Global Terror, it's pure mad riffage.

CarpathianSpirit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:25 pm 

I started intensely listening to thrash a month ago, of course i have listened to it before but it never quite clicked for me.
Now i find myself liking Annihilator, Anthrax, Slayer, Kreator, Vio-lence, Testament, Tankard, Razor and few other bands.

Now what I want is a recommendation of big bands that I neglected and are of great importance in thrash scene. thx

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 pm 

CarpathianSpirit wrote:
I started intensely listening to thrash a month ago, of course i have listened to it before but it never quite clicked for me.
Now i find myself liking Annihilator, Anthrax, Slayer, Kreator, Vio-lence, Testament, Tankard, Razor and few other bands.

Now what I want is a recommendation of big bands that I neglected and are of great importance in thrash scene. thx

Dark Angel, Possessed, Schizophrenia-era Sepultura, Flotsam and Jetsam, Watchtower...those are the first few that come to mind. The instant I heard them, it was the moment I declared thrash metal as my favorite genre,
we sail across the sea!

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:14 pm 

What are some really good live thrash albums? I picked up Destruction's Live Without Sense yesterday and really enjoyed it. I really want that live atmosphere but some decent production. Would Dark Angel's Live Scars be a good choice?

CarpathianSpirit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:37 pm 

Slayer`s Live Undead maybe?

SouthofHeaven11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:25 pm 

I 2nd Slayer's "Live Undead".

And yeah, new Merciless Death was real weak, but they weren't that great to begin with.

New Gama Bomb, however, fuckin' kills \m/

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 pm 

SouthofHeaven11 wrote:
New Gama Bomb, however, fuckin' kills \m/

I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. When I first heard "Survival of the Fastest" I liked it, but I felt like the band had a lot of potential and the next record was going to be better. I am not let down in the least by Citizen Brain.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:18 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
What are some really good live thrash albums? I picked up Destruction's Live Without Sense yesterday and really enjoyed it. I really want that live atmosphere but some decent production. Would Dark Angel's Live Scars be a good choice?

Dark Angel didn't have Don Doty on the live album.. don't bother.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 136  Next