Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:06 pm 

wishiwasawhale wrote:
So I haven't paid much attention to thrash metal during the past couple of years but the recent releases by Vektor and Ripper really reignited my interest in the genre. What are some essential albums dropped in the past two to three years?

Try Chronosphere and Tantara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EiezWqDGq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbbB5l8H_NA

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:13 pm 

I wouldn't compare it to Vektor, but Birth A.D.'s I Blame You is a pretty good modern thrash album.

GuiltySpawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:38 am 

Anyone know of any thrash metal with some neo-classical guitar work, along the lines of Yngwie Malmsteen?

~Guest 342247
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:04 am 

GuiltySpawn wrote:
Anyone know of any thrash metal with some neo-classical guitar work, along the lines of Yngwie Malmsteen?

You might wanna check out this thread:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=89597

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:13 pm 

Does anybody know any modern thrash metal that has an emphasis on catchy riffs with cleaner vocals? Kind of like Anthrax? I've been in the mood for some less aggressive thrash lately, and I'm wondering if any modern bands fit that bill.

~Guest 342247
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:16 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Does anybody know any modern thrash metal that has an emphasis on catchy riffs with cleaner vocals? Kind of like Anthrax? I've been in the mood for some less aggressive thrash lately, and I'm wondering if any modern bands fit that bill.

What about Metal Church? Not pure thrash and not modern, but damn great

You might like Adamantine

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:04 pm 

JDM839 wrote:
wishiwasawhale wrote:
So I haven't paid much attention to thrash metal during the past couple of years but the recent releases by Vektor and Ripper really reignited my interest in the genre. What are some essential albums dropped in the past two to three years?

Try Chronosphere and Tantara.

Piggybacking homeslice, here.

Essence - Last Night Of Solace
Harlott - Origin (and) Proliferation

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:48 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Not sure if you've checked out my band, but you might like some of our stuff:

You also might enjoy stuff like:
GREEN DEATH
IMMACULATE - Atheist Crusade
AFTER ALL
ESSENCE

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:29 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Check out Mortillery. They do a mean cover of Madhouse.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 am 

brain hammer wrote:
Check out Mortillery. They do a mean cover of Madhouse.

Oof - Mortillery is fucking terrible.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

This is the one substyle I have yet to see much of in the current thrash movement. Armor Column has clean vocals. Artillery released a new album this year that's pretty good. Exarsis and ExMortus are two bands that utilize clean / high-pitched vocals at times.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:12 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Catchy riffs? Check. Clean vocals? Check. Less aggressive? Well, I think so. You decide.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:54 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

You might like Despair.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:34 pm 

Thanks peoples for all of your recommendations!

@FasterDisaster I know exactly what you mean. Thrash is the genre I'm most experienced with, and so far I haven't been able to find a band meeting those criteria nowadays. I'll check out what you suggested.

@Smitty I keep forgetting about that Reign of Fury album, it's good stuff. Very good actually.

@Temple of Blood I've know about your band for a while, and I like a lot of what y'all do. I love some of the riffs and I love the lyrics.

I feel that most modern thrash bands nowadays try really hard to be either really brutal or really technical and as a result the charm of thrash is lost.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:44 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
stainedclass2112 wrote:

You might like Despair.

Good band, but I think he only wanted a modern band. I could name tons of good 80s/90s bands that fit the description.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:45 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
@Temple of Blood I've know about your band for a while, and I like a lot of what y'all do. I love some of the riffs and I love the lyrics.

Have you heard our second album "Overlord"?

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:56 pm 

No, I haven't. I've heard the whole first album and I liked it. The mixing was a bit weak and as a result the guitars didn't sound as good as they could've and the vocals stood out too much, but other than that I thought it was a solid piece of metal. What's Overlord like? If it has better production I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

and yes, I was looking for a modern band. Despair was never to my liking anyway, no offence to he who recommended it.

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:29 am 

Can some one please help me find thrash or death metal similar to this album/band? The band's name is Protector and the Album is called Shedding of Skin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFO-jEenE7A

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:12 pm 

If you like Protector then you should definitely check out some of the other German thrash stuff, especially Pleasure to Kill. I'd also recommend Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death and Demolition Hammer's first two albums if you haven't heard any of those lately.

Here's some more really good death thrash that'll fit your bill I bet, check out Assorted Heap's Experience of Horror. https://youtu.be/H5EZztw4Wl8 Their second album - Mindwaves - is pretty cool too.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:53 am 

mikey22 wrote:
Can some one please help me find thrash or death metal similar to this album/band? The band's name is Protector and the Album is called Shedding of Skin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFO-jEenE7A

Ooh baby, you're right up my alley!

[Band Name, Album Title] Attomica, Disturbing The Noise. Morbid Saint, Spectrum Of Death. Torture, Storm Alert. DeathRaiser, Violent Aggression. HellCannon, Infected With Violence. Epidemic, Decameron.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:07 pm 

Greetings fellow thrashers!

Is tech thrash a legit genre (considering how huge tech death has become) or is it still a niche thing? If so what are some of the bands in this particular subset that need to be heard. Bands I am already familiar with Voivod (still in the discovery process), Revocation and recently, Vektor. I do like black/death-thrash hybrids but I'm looking for something that retains the thrash base without adding elements of black or death metal. Any help is appreciated.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:23 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

Is tech thrash a legit genre (considering how huge tech death has become) or is it still a niche thing? If so what are some of the bands in this particular subset that need to be heard. Bands I am already familiar with Voivod (still in the discovery process), Revocation and recently, Vektor. I do like black/death-thrash hybrids but I'm looking for something that retains the thrash base without adding elements of black or death metal. Any help is appreciated.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/terraasymmetry/technical_thrash_metal__an_exhaustive_study__1984_present_/

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 am 

IamDBR wrote:

It's a legit genre!

Coroner, watchtower, helstar (might qualify), sadus, depressive age, droys, aspid, annihilator, toxik, late 80s destruction, despair, deathrow, oblivion, artillery, forbidden, dark angel, elysium

~Guest 342247
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:47 am 

What about Voivod?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:17 am 

honzi97 wrote:
What about Voivod?

They'd be a great pick but He knows about them already.

~Guest 342247
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:41 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
honzi97 wrote:
What about Voivod?

They'd be a great pick but He knows about them already.

Sorry, didn't see that.

Maybe this list?
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/cosmicseas/progressive_technical_thrash_metal_must_haves/

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:44 am 

IamDBR wrote:

Violent Omen - Lunatic's Revenge

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 am 

Thanks for all the help guys!

PS: All these rec threads are awesome except the DM one, ignored twice there :(

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 pm 

Try also:

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:55 pm 

Smitty wrote:
Violent Omen - Lunatic's Revenge

Holy shit, really really like this! Why aren't these guys fucking huge or atleast known to more than 10 people? Much better than most new thrash bands I have listened to. Thank you!

@klun222 I know already know about them, thanks!

Amjs2000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:14 pm 

Does anyone know any good thrash metal bands that are satanic and Anti-Christian?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:28 pm 

Amjs2000 wrote:
Does anyone know any good thrash metal bands that are satanic and Anti-Christian?

Too obvious?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:12 am 

Uh...does Goatwhore count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8rVrUDgRU

How about Toxic Holocaust?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MK9bJdclc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKanmLGBEJA (I strongly urge that you watch this video if you already haven't)

Pretty obvious picks I know but give them a try.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:01 am 

Which 80's thrash albums have the best production? I want to listen to something that won't sound like shite in my car.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:09 am 

Pretty much anything by a well-known band after their sophomore. Could you be more specific?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:18 am 

theagentcoma wrote:
Which 80's thrash albums have the best production? I want to listen to something that won't sound like shite in my car.

Anything produced by Terry Date.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:14 pm 

I guess anything not made by the Big 4. Destruction's early stuff doesn't sound that great, but The Legacy by Testament sounds much smoother. The drums on Sentenced to Death/Infernal Overkill just sound so awful and tinny at times, almost like en E-kit.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:59 pm 

Blackened thrash w/ rock 'n' roll energy/vibe, if that makes any sense. Bands I already know: Destroyer 666, Goatwhore & Toxic Holocaust.
Something like these bands but with a bit of Motorhead & Venom thrown in, thanks.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:23 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:
I guess anything not made by the Big 4. Destruction's early stuff doesn't sound that great, but The Legacy by Testament sounds much smoother. The drums on Sentenced to Death/Infernal Overkill just sound so awful and tinny at times, almost like en E-kit.

For some reason Sentence of Death sounds way better than Infernal Overkill. The drums at the start of Tormentor are terrible, even though I do love that album.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:28 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Blackened thrash w/ rock 'n' roll energy/vibe, if that makes any sense. Bands I already know: Destroyer 666, Goatwhore & Toxic Holocaust.
Something like these bands but with a bit of Motorhead & Venom thrown in, thanks.

Division Speed with their self titled album comes to mind instantly.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:42 am 

IamDBR wrote:

Maybe HATEWORK

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 136  Next