Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:41 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
You're thinking of technical thrash metal. Melodic thrash isn't really a thing... unless you're Battlecross.

To me, bands like BLIND ILLUSION are far more melodic than technical. CORONER, for example, are very technical but generally not as melodic.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:04 pm 

Usually when thrash bands start using more melodies and traditional metal elements they tend to have "speed metal" or "power metal" appended to their genre on the website. Which is curiously true for all the bands you listed except for the last two. But then again Blind Illusion started out more traditional and then went proggier, so melodies are kind of part of the package anyway.

Melodic thrash was never really a thing yeah. At least not like melodic death where it became a separated scene from traditional death metal. There are a lot of thrash bands that abuse of melodies, that much is true. ;)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:02 pm 

The duder above me nailed it. Strong melodies in thrash are tied with the speed metal side of thrash. It really has nothing to do with technicality. Technical thrash metal generally has melody tied to it just because of the nature of writing technical riffs in thrash that usually end up having a galloping or driving pace which it turns gives it a melodic vibe.

I still don't know how Battlecross managed to write actual melodic thrash metal. They're so crazy good and it's... ridiculous.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:02 am 

Examples of such Battlecross songs? I'm listening to Never Coming Back right now and this sounds more or less like every other melothrash band that gets incorrectly labeled as metalcore.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 am 

looking for bands like mortillery. Female fronted thrash, but with a powerfull voice. Cara from Mortillery has a very powerfull voice, but she doesn't scream all the time, sometimes she gives me an Rob Halford vibe.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:41 pm 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
looking for bands like mortillery. Female fronted thrash, but with a powerfull voice. Cara from Mortillery has a very powerfull voice, but she doesn't scream all the time, sometimes she gives me an Rob Halford vibe.

What about ICE AGE, SENTINEL BEAST, ZNOW WHITE, or the second MEGACE album?

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:09 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
OlderBudweiser wrote:

What about ICE AGE, SENTINEL BEAST, ZNOW WHITE, or the second MEGACE album?

Thanks for the input, but already know these bands. Searching for more modern bands.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 pm 

OlderBudweiser wrote:

Mortillery are one of my favorite modern thrash bands and yes, Cara is a killer vocalist. Can't really think of another modern band that's female fronted and sounds like her. That's going to be a tough one.

Like your reviews?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:27 pm 

Mortillery is terrible. Utterly forgettable.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:55 pm 

Anyone here a fan of Ripper? Just heard one of their tracks today and thought it was pretty cool; raw early sounding thrash-death with obvious influences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwQORbhjIU

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:15 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Well I guess it's a matter of taste. They are a fun thrash band. Their first album is a bit stronger than their latest but I like them a lot.

Like your reviews?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:38 pm 

Znowhite rules! A criminally underrated band if you ask me - and their original line-up was three black dudes and a white chick, which is all kinds of awesome, especially for that time period.

That Ripper track is pretty awesome too. Reminds me of really early Sodom/Kreator/Destruction.

Mortillery I want to check out now, even though I'm not a big fan of modern thrash.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 am 

LeMiserable wrote:
Hey, that Invocator album is going in the right direction, I kinda want that without the squeaky vocals...

Well, if you find something let us know. That Demonic is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I can't think of any heavier thrash (groove/thrash/melo-death/core/whatever :) ), except Exhorder (24 years later I still think Desecrator is one of the heaviest songs of all time. Hell, I think The Law is still one of the heaviest albums.). But they don't sound like Demonic.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:07 am 

Well... I'm listening to Solstice's To Dust right now and it's kinda what i'm looking for, perhaps minus the blast beats, but not necessarily without...

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:11 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The duder above me nailed it. Strong melodies in thrash are tied with the speed metal side of thrash. It really has nothing to do with technicality. Technical thrash metal generally has melody tied to it just because of the nature of writing technical riffs in thrash that usually end up having a galloping or driving pace which it turns gives it a melodic vibe.

I still don't know how Battlecross managed to write actual melodic thrash metal. They're so crazy good and it's... ridiculous.

Where do Sylosis sit? IMO they're technical and thrashy as hell.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 am 

Cabecao wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Where do Sylosis sit? IMO they're technical and thrashy as hell.

Never having heard said band, and judging it only by the MA page, I have to wonder what your point really is. We were talking about actual thrash bands and not of some form of crossover between melodeath and thrash.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:28 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Music wise you may have a point. Vocal wise your point is invalid. She "blows" most male thrash vocalist right out of the water.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:59 am 

Mortillery is pretty bad, I went to a concert where they were a side act, it felt like they were on for 3 hours when they only played for 45 minutes.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:10 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
Mortillery is pretty bad, I went to a concert where they were a side act, it felt like they were on for 3 hours when they only played for 45 minutes.

Coming from a guy who thinks Coma of Souls is Gothenburg, I stick with my original thoughts on Mortillery! :roll:

Like your reviews?

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 am 

mjollnir wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:

Coming from a guy who thinks Coma of Souls is Gothenburg, I stick with my original thoughts on Mortillery! :roll:

Perhaps. It did have an influence on the Gothenburg sound they used later on, doesn't make the album Gothenburg indeed, but it did have a hand in it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 am 

I still wouldn't associate that album with any Gothenburg-ish stuff but whatever.

Are Metal Church's 00's albums worth hearing?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:47 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Not in my opinion but I did really enjoy the song "Leave them Behind" an well as the WAYNE solo album.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:23 pm 

colin040 wrote:

The Weight of the World is somewhat decent. Not close to what they did in their heyday, but decent. The albums after that have no redeeming qualities at all. After Kirk Arrington left, it's not Metal Church anymore. It's just Vanderhoof doing god knows what.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:27 am 

I think I'm the only person that likes Generation Nothing more than anything since Masterpeace. It's a lot more to the point than some of the others, and the vocalist actually put a bit of grit into that one.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 am 

It's been 3 years or so since I've heard Masterpeace. The music itself sounded cool but the vocals were totally akward. David Wayne really seemed to lost it then. The two new songs Metal Church played from their most recent album didn't do much for me when I saw them live. Maybe I'll check some of the other 2 00's albums soon.

Ezeekial Zoratium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:51 pm 

Does anyone know of some badass, heavy as fuck psychedelic thrash metal?

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:34 pm 

Overkill's last 2 albums are the best thrash metal i've heard in so many years.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:01 am 

Does anyone know of any decent thrash albums being put out this year besides Overkill's new album (that I haven't listened to)?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:46 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Does anyone know of any decent thrash albums being put out this year besides Overkill's new album (that I haven't listened to)?

Hirax put out a new album. I haven't heard it yet, but I've read some good reviews of it. Some other good ones:

Exmortus - Slave to the Sword - Super technical, non-stop soloing
Lost Society - Terror Hungry - Pretty similar to the first album. Crossoverish thrash
Paranorm - The Edge of Existence - Really awesome tech-thrash EP with some Malmsteen influence at times
Suicidal Angels - Divide and Conquer - Kind of reminds me of Evile but with less singing quality and a bit more thrash

I have some other recommendations, but these have been my favourites this year.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:54 am 

I think I've got at least twenty or thirty albums in my collection as of right now, so here's a few:

1. Bastardizer - Enforcers Of Evil (blackened thrash)
2. Battery - Armed With Rage (brutal thrash)
3. Dust Bolt - Awake The Riot (old school thrash)
4. Hammercult - Steelcrusher (deathrash)
5. Infest - Cold Blood War (brutal thrash)
6. Lost Society - Terror Hungry (tech-y, punk-y, groove-y thrash)
7. Nocturnal - Storming Evil (blackened thrash)
8. Phantom - Triumph Of Death (old-school blackened thrash)
9. Seprevation - Consumed (super old school brutal deathrash, one of my absolute favorites)
10. Vampire - Vampire (old school blackened thrash)

I'd recommend all of these, but it all depends on what you're specifically looking for.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:52 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Just as an aside here: I've played with these guys no less than 5 times over the past few years or so, and they used to really...suck. There was very much a core element to their sound, and the band Gumby was in before he joined them was just horrendous. They sure figured their shit out fast, and are right now one of the best exports from the Detroit area (weak scene I know) - so good for them.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 am 

Thanks guys, I'll check out those recs. I'd already heard a few:
Exmortus - it was definitely impressive technically, but not want I want to listen to all the time.
I didn't really like the latest Lost Society or the first album that much either.
Vampire was alright, but it was just lacking some punch. It wasn't worth the effort of finding the damn album lol. You can't just google "vampire".

Actually there's one album I've heard that you haven't listed (possibly because it's not that great) which is Nocturnal Breed - Napalm Nights. The music is alright, but the vocals were atrocious on this album.

Ezeekial Zoratium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm 

I found these guys accidentally while looking for jihadist music, and boy was it one of the best accidental finds I have ever found...pretty heavy, with great vocals and awesome lyrical themes...I'm sick of all the thrash bands making the U.S. military seem badass so it's nice to have some terrorist themed metal

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:04 pm 

Anyone ever heard any (death/)thrash metal bands similar to early Pestilence? Pestilence had a knack for creating these addictive and hypnotizing riffs that instantly stick to your mind the moment you hear them, anyone knows something like them?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:24 pm 

There's something hypnotic and relentless about Ripping Corpses' Dreaming With The Dead. That's all I have for you.

You're probably going to have an easier time with that in the death metal help thread. My references for the deathrash style really only go in the direction of Demolition Hammer, Epidemic, Incubus, etc.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:29 pm 

Dreaming With The Dead... Yeah I know that one, it's totally insane and indeed something among the lines i'm looking for.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:14 pm 

How about Hellwitch?

OSPF
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 am 

I am going to start my way in this forum with my first recommendation
Trallery -catalepsy ...good thrash from Spain

nexus001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:28 am 

i love EXPLOSICUM, they play old school (bay area) thrash metal, its hard to imagine that they come from china.
https://www.facebook.com/Explosicum
https://stresshormonesrecords.bandcamp.com/

Sir Vic Rattlehead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:07 am 

Slayer worship bands?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 136  Next