I'm looking for more in the same vein as something like Toxik

Realm? :p

That'll work. Now, to find them.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
That'll work. Now, to find them.

Funny thing about Realm, their discography and sonic evolution is pretty similar to Toxik's. First album is more balls out speedy and hectic while the second is more progressive and with more technical phrasing. Just so you know what you're dealing with here. ;)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:28 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Still being a newbie to thrash that I am, I'm looking for more in the same vein as something like Toxik, Artillery, or early/2010- Overkill. Anyone got a few suggestions for moi?

TEMPLE OF BLOOD - Overlord
REALM - Endless War
INTRUDER - Psycho Savant
FLOTSAM AND JETSAM - Doomsday for the Deceiver
ANNIHILATOR - Never Neverland
BRAINICIDE - demo
FORBIDDEN - Forbidden Evil

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 pm 

I already have all of Flotsam and Jetsam's material. Guess I forgot they're part thrash. :V

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:59 pm 

Zelkiiro you need to check out Heathen if you have not already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NCCbJ13 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdbFhiUG9U8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EIoREtC ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psqi1XQk ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQcMCrvV ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_QFCmiT ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__yGjEz7 ... ure=relmfu

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:51 pm 

Alrighty, that's a lot on my plate for the upcoming week. 'Twill be a thrash-travaganza of preposterous proportions.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:43 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Alrighty, that's a lot on my plate for the upcoming week. 'Twill be a thrash-travaganza of preposterous proportions.

I will add the Uk's Hospital of Death to the list, an enjoyable band.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZwL8jgLcI

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:58 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Still being a newbie to thrash that I am, I'm looking for more in the same vein as something like Toxik, Artillery, or early/2010- Overkill. Anyone got a few suggestions for moi?

Pretty much power/thrash and technical thrash then.

Ulysess Siren, Paradox, Powermad, Holy Terror, Tyrant's Reign, Hallows Eve. Watchtower, Aspid, Essence (Big Artillery influence), Realm, Arcane, Shah, National Suicide (Big Overkill and Exodus - Tempo of the Damned worship) etc.

I bet you would love Holy Terror if no one has mentioned them to you yet.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:22 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Pretty much power/thrash and technical thrash then.

Ulysess Siren, Paradox, Powermad, Holy Terror, Tyrant's Reign, Hallows Eve. Watchtower, Aspid, Essence (Big Artillery influence), Realm, Arcane, Shah, National Suicide (Big Overkill and Exodus - Tempo of the Damned worship) etc.

I bet you would love Holy Terror if no one has mentioned them to you yet.

Oh God, what have I unleashed? :o

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:48 pm 

An assload of good music to discover. :)

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 pm 

Damn, that's some obscure shit you got there AcidWorm. I don't even know half of those, and I thought I was an expert on thrash... :bow:

Zelkiiro, I doubt you need any more reccommendations after all those, but nobody mentioned Coroner, which you probably know already, and may I also suggest Sabbat (UK).

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:39 am 

tehfoks wrote:
but nobody mentioned Coroner, which you probably know already,

Like I said, I'm a thrash newbie. Of course I've never heard of them. :V

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:13 am 

AcidWorm wrote:

A lot of good stuff here, though I have to say that Essence are kind of lame, sorry mate. :p Arcane is decent Watchtower worship but the vocals might throw you off, Aspid and Shah are some of the best stuff to ever come out of Russia, and I pretty much love Paradox in particular Collision Course which has too many good riffs! As I said, a lot of good stuff.

Zelkiiro wrote:
tehfoks wrote:

Correct this, immediately!!! ;)

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
tehfoks wrote:

Track down No More Color and Punishment for Decadence now. No More Color is the pinnacle of Tech Thrash imo. It's not that easy to find it though, so you can start with PfD. However, there's a sweet Japanese release (this is the one I have) that's 2-in-1, with a double booklet and everything. It goes for like $25, but it's worth it, since No More Color alone goes for 50-60 bucks if my memory serves.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 pm 

androdion wrote:
A lot of good stuff here, though I have to say that Essence are kind of lame, sorry mate. :p Arcane is decent Watchtower worship but the vocals might throw you off, Aspid and Shah are some of the best stuff to ever come out of Russia, and I pretty much love Paradox in particular Collision Course which has too many good riffs! As I said, a lot of good stuff.

Essence are on the upper end of the retro-thrash for me but nothing great. Night's Destruction and Unlimited Chaos are excellent songs from their album though. Unlimited Chaos is very much an Artillery worship with the middle eastern riffs. The vocals are a bit on the bland side though.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
androdion wrote:

Essence are on the upper end of the retro-thrash for me but nothing great. Night's Destruction and Unlimited Chaos are excellent songs from their album though. Unlimited Chaos is very much an Artillery worship with the middle eastern riffs. The vocals are a bit on the bland side though.

I was actually listening to their album last week (or was it this one, damn memory...) and I agree with your reasoning. But then again I don't give a crap about retro-thrash, most of it bores me to death. Maybe it's the constant recycling of ideas or the slick production, I can't exactly pinpoint why it doesn't tick with me but it just doesn't. Even when it's actually good! :p

With that being said, the bass on their album sounds great, I'd have to give them that.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:31 pm 

Yeah I agree with all of that. It is nice to hear a thrash band where you can really hear the bass. Fog of War is another retro-band who has outstanding bass work.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 pm 

Good lord, my downloads folder is anarchy right now. I've got a bunch of folders and files to clean up and make presentable for Last.fm, there are 3 torrents stuck at ~99% with no seeds (Ulysses Siren and 2 Intruder albums), and Temple of Blood and the last Intruder album are being assholes and not downloading at all.

If I weren't so poor, I'd just buy this stuff and save myself a headache.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Good lord, my downloads folder is anarchy right now. I've got a bunch of folders and files to clean up and make presentable for Last.fm, there are 3 torrents stuck at ~99% with no seeds (Ulysses Siren and 2 Intruder albums), and Temple of Blood and the last Intruder album are being assholes and not downloading at all.

If I weren't so poor, I'd just buy this stuff and save myself a headache.

While not everything is available on Spotify, they do have a lot (even a fair amount of the more obscure music). Of the ones you mentioned now, only Ulysses Siren - Above the Ashes is availbalbe though. For people that listen to a lot of varied music it's a very affordable solution. Only 5 Euro a month (or 10 Euro for higher quality, offline support and mobile support). There will still be a lot of music you won't find, but it's excellent as a basis. Spotify also supports Last.fm scrobbling, and let's you import local MP3 files.

You should also probably also check out Heathen, Sadus and Vektor. Vektor - Black Future being the first choice.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am 

Welp, everything's downloaded nice and dandy except for Ulysses Siren, Intruder, Paradox, and Temple of Blood. They'll just have to sit in purgatory until they decide to man up and finish.
Spoiler: show
The progress is as follows:
Ulysses Siren's Above the Ashes - 99.9 fucking percent, 0 seeds
Intruder's A Higher Form of Killing - 98.9%, 0 seeds
Intruder's Live to Die - 98.5%, 0 seeds
Paradox's discography - 19.3%, 0 seeds
Temple of Blood's discography - 5.0%, 1 very uncooperative seed
Intruder's Psycho Savant - 0.0%, 0 seeds

Megadeth wrote:
You should also probably also check out Heathen, Sadus and Vektor. Vektor - Black Future being the first choice.

Someone already mentioned Heathen, but alrighty.

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am 

Yeah I believe I purchased Ulysses Siren's album from the iTunes store. It was like 10 dollars.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:09 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Yeah I believe I purchased Ulysses Siren's album from the iTunes store. It was like 10 dollars.

Eh, well, the good news is the piece that was unfinished was a piece of cover art, so for all intents and purposes, it's complete. Whoo-hoo!

Vulkan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:04 pm 

Greetings! Can you recommend bands in the vein of Warbringer, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer? Something I can bang my head with, less wankery as much as possible and more on riffs.

TIA!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:50 pm 

Vulkan wrote:
Greetings! Can you recommend bands in the vein of Warbringer, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer? Something I can bang my head with, less wankery as much as possible and more on riffs.

TIA!

Perhaps Hellcannon?
http://youtu.be/pIZ_Mq0-6hY

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 pm 

Laceration, and Condition Critical are a couple modern bands that take a heavy influence from Demolition Hammer. And of course there is Solstice for an oldschool thrash band like Demolition Hammer.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 pm 

Vulkan wrote:

TIA!

SADUS - A Vision of Misery, Elements of Anger
HYPNOSIA - Extreme Hatred
DEVASTATION - Idolatry

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:01 pm 

Vulkan wrote:

TIA!

I just rediscovered Epidemic. Death/thrash in the vein of Dark Angel, Morbid Saint, Agressor, Num Skull, and the Sadus debut. Lightning fast and very brutal, full of headbanging riffs. Not sure why they never seem to get mentioned. And Vulkan check out the other bands I compared Epidemic to as they are in the same vein of what you are looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLZ-hI64Ug

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:30 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Vulkan wrote:

TIA!

I just rediscovered Epidemic. Death/thrash in the vein of Dark Angel, Morbid Saint, Agressor, Num Skull, and the Sadus debut. Lightning fast and very brutal, full of headbanging riffs. Not sure why they never seem to get mentioned. And Vulkan check out the other bands I compared Epidemic to as they are in the same vein of what you are looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLZ-hI64Ug

Decameron is a pretty good album indeed; heavy, fast and pretty brutal, with a myriad of great riffs.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:06 pm 

Silent Scream is pretty good extreme thrash. Not as heavy as Demolition Hammer, but nothing is. Has some pure death metal riffs once in a while also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYalmEOR ... ure=relmfu

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:21 pm 

Update on my recent thrash binge:

In the middle of Watchtower, still need to hear Paradox, Temple of Blood, and Ulysses Siren. I've had nothin' but a thrashin' good time so far.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:15 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
still need to hear Paradox

Collision Course for the win! :p

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 pm 

Watchtower is awesome, they have some great guitar passages. For tech thrash my fav album would have to be Coroner's Mental Vortex, it's catchy as fuck and really a solid album all the way through, just like most Coroner albums.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:28 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Anyone got a few suggestions for moi?

Doesn't seem like anyone really recommended Destruction so far. It's probably obvious, but I'm just mentioning it because it seems like most of their albums, like The Antichrist, will be spot on some of the type of thrash you are looking for.

Once in Germany, check out Tankard, for example the album Beast of Bourbon.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:04 pm 

Holy shit, they have a lot of albums and EPs (and I think I found the "Neo-Destruction" stuff that I should be avoiding). I'll have to check 'em out as soon as I can.

But anyhoo, in that onslaught on thrash I've gone through, I could never quite get any of the Intruder albums and the only group I was lukewarm about was Temple of Blood, and I think that's because it felt too soft in both the delivery and the production. I want to see more volume on the next album, guys!

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:03 pm 

Dude Intruder is a fun band. I like their song "MIB" a lot and their album art is fuckin outstanding. I think Assassin from Germany do many of the same things Intruder does but better.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Dude Intruder is a fun band.

I'll bet they are.

But the internet's not playing nice.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:44 am 

My favorite Destruction is the Sentence of Death EP, Eternal Devastation and The Antichrist. Those are the only ones I really focus on.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:46 am 

Just got this album:

After All - Dawn of the enforcer
F*cking great album. Nice 80ies thrash with a beautiful Ed Repka cover.
Love the vocals. Great falsetto's and the cleans and aggresive vocals are great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQN6hJjQDRc

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
The Antichrist.

What a fucking intense album.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 pm 

You can't mention Destruction without Release From Agony. That album is, to use an overused metaphor, a maze of riffs that always hold's your interest. It's a shame that they're destined to always be in the shadow of Kreator.

So yeah, you guys should totally check out Arachnid, Morbid Saint style thrash but even more intense. They almost have a death metal feel at times, not because of death metal riffs, but just because the music is so damn intense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl3F7fuX ... ure=relmfu

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 136  Next