Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:04 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
If anyone is looking for an all female thrash band in the vein of Kreator and Destruction then check out Dracena. Pretty cool stuff. I think they may have had a male drummer though for the album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggMLKiQ ... re=related

This kicks ass regardless of the sexes of the members. Thanks dude.

- John Calvin.

luisX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:21 pm 

Quote:
Ah, yes. For Metal Church, I especially recommend the debut album and Hanging in the Balance. I'd hesitate to just call them thrash metal though, as there are quite a few traditional and power metal elements in their formula. As for Forbidden; HELL YES!!! The first two albums are unsung classics, and their last one is no slouch either. And Heathen is a strange case; I believe all their albums are good, but I think David R. White only became a truly great singer in their last one, as his voice matured a lot with the years and now sounds much more muscular and manly.

Yes i agree that Metal Church had many heavy metal elements,i think that their first two were the church at their most thrash. About Heathen,i think that the singer on breaking the silence was another guy,anyway i agree that the last album was David at his best vocal performance.

Laaz Rockit may count too,Realm are good also,then there is this band,Hallows Eve,the singer kind of mix operatic vocals with growls,and if we get into power/thrash territory,then there is Paradox,Iced Earth,Helstar,Charred Walls of the Damned,and many more.

Last edited by luisX on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:24 pm 

Nope, David R. White sang in all of Heathen's recordings to my recolletion, save for a very rare EP or something akin to that where Paul Baloff himself participated. Maybe you're confused because, if my memory serves me right, David worked in Breaking the Silence under a different name.

luisX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:28 pm 

Oh that is then,haha,at first i thought it was the same,just that his vocals changed after breaking,then i check on wikipedia and i thought that it was another guy because of the name he used.BTW The Dark by Metal Church is another essential in their catalogue in my opinion,well,this band never had a bad album,so sad that they split.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 pm 

So I happened across this little gem the other day. Judging by the songtitles and cover art I was expecting Pleasure to Kill-worshiping retro thrash like Avenger of Blood, which I'm cool with and all, but what I got instead was some pretty darn good tech thrash with chaotic teutonic riffs thrown on top of everything. Good stuff.

- John Calvin.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 am 

That is indeed pretty good

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:34 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Cyriis has no human cousins Xlxlx, his true kin are far beyond the scope of man :tinfoil:

On a tech thrash fix lately and really enjoying Obliveon's first album. Just kicks my ass every time I hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68upjls4SnA

Looks like the subsequent albums have equal, or better reviews so I am quite anxious to check them out.

Don't set your expectations too high. Only Nemesis is in the same style. The other two are more like a teched-up Fear Factory or something (although I still enjoy them for what they are).

I'm probably in the minority here but I find Obliveon's first album pretty boring effort. Nemesis was a little improvement and Cybervoid's their best (although I haven't heard the last album) and most original work. I think they were better as teched-up half-thrash than straight technothrash band.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:21 pm 

Cybervoid actually reminds me a bit of later Invocator, and funny thing is that both bands have clearly different styles in early and later albums. Both Invocator and Obliveon are very techy and aggressive in early albums, and very groovy in later efforts.

All of this to say, listen to Weave The Apocalypse if you enjoy later Obliveon. ;)

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:24 pm 

So I just started hearing Dr. Living Dead's material from the album and it is really good. I liked their demos years ago but found the songwriting rather bland and thought they could do better. Well the new material seems to kick ass and reminds me of Nuclear Assault more than anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7en1q2h4 ... re=related

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 pm 

Just discovered Hypnosia's Extreme Hatred, and fuck, this shit is intense. It's like early Kreator, Sodom, Sadus and Morbid Saint rolled into one, topped with some of the most batshit vocals you'll ever hear in thrash metal. Seriously, this guy sounds like he's gonna pop a vein at a moment's notice. Here is the titletrack for those who don't believe me.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:22 pm 

Yeah, Hypnosia is very good! Shame they've only released one EP and one album. The good thing is that you can get both in the same package. ;)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 am 

androdion wrote:
Yeah, Hypnosia is very good! Shame they've only released one EP and one album. The good thing is that you can get both in the same package. ;)

Really? Well, I guess I have some hunting to do. This stuff is too badass to not be in my collection.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:35 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
androdion wrote:

Really? Well, I guess I have some hunting to do. This stuff is too badass to not be in my collection.

The digipak version of the album has the EP as bonus, so that's the version you ought to buy! ;) Good hunting mate, I know I took some time to find my copy, and now I cherish it like a newborn baby! :lol:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:57 pm 

Anyone know which modern thrash band it is that sounds like Dissection? I recall the album cover was very blue. I recall their album had some positive reviews here on the archives.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Anyone know which modern thrash band it is that sounds like Dissection? I recall the album cover was very blue. I recall their album had some positive reviews here on the archives.

I don't know the thrash Dissection too well, but I think you want Havok's "Time Is Up" http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ha ... _Up/294511

I had to double check that this was the thrash thread because Thulcandra is the first to come to mind with blue album covers and Dissection worship.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 am 

Thanks, but it isn't either of those bands.

:edit: I found it.

Band is Deadnight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKOdEnBq_II

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:16 pm 

Hey guys, I need some help.

The other day, I looked at a thrash album from South America and the album art was a bear wearing a metal vest (kutte), I want to check it out, but can't remember the name :(
+10 Tony points for the one who will find it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:52 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Hey guys, I need some help.

The other day, I looked at a thrash album from South America and the album art was a bear wearing a metal vest (kutte), I want to check it out, but can't remember the name :(
+10 Tony points for the one who will find it.

I was thinking Alcoholic Force, one of them? But the art does not match your description Metantonie.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:

Deadnight, probably? Although their full length's artwork isn't exactly Necrolord-ish.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:43 pm 

Yeah I answered it above and I was the one that added them to the mini review thread that you answered. :lol:

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Yeah I answered it above and I was the one that added them to the mini review thread that you answered. :lol:

Oh snap, I forgot about that! :durr:

Now I want a rec; do you guys know any thrash bands that, while having very melodic, technical riffing (kinda like Artillery's, let's say) also have very harsh vocals? Doesn't matter whether they're screamed, screeched or hoarsely yelled, as long as they're pretty extreme for thrash standards. Plus, an impressive rhythm section is highly welcomed, along with a decent production. And try to mention something relatively obscure, as I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to thrash metal. Thanks in advance!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:10 pm 

Not melodic or technical, but you know Ketzer, Cruel Force and Hellish Crossfire right?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:49 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:

Oh snap, I forgot about that! :durr:

Now I want a rec; do you guys know any thrash bands that, while having very melodic, technical riffing (kinda like Artillery's, let's say) also have very harsh vocals? Doesn't matter whether they're screamed, screeched or hoarsely yelled, as long as they're pretty extreme for thrash standards. Plus, an impressive rhythm section is highly welcomed, along with a decent production. And try to mention something relatively obscure, as I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to thrash metal. Thanks in advance!

Hmm, the "melodic" part makes things a bit trickier otherwise I'd rec Cadaver from Norway. Deathrow's Life Beyond is a woefully underrated melodic/technical thrash album. The vocals are standard thrash yells, but there you go. Same thing with Crionic's Different. I'd also recommend Commando from Mexico which I mentioned a few posts up. Not as melodic, but there's an assload of harmonized guitar leads and a surprising amount of technicality for a band with cover art/song titles like they have.

- John Calvin.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 pm 

Save for Deathrow I'm not really familiar with any of those bands, so I'll have to check 'em out. Thanks 'toine and 0kill!

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:05 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Maybe you know the band, but Toxik?
Sunday I bought this album:

The vocals are a matter of taste, high pith, falsetto like(Although he does the job really well). But the guitarwork of Josh Christian is amazing. Fast, technical and the solo's fit in perfectly.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:26 pm 

Already know and utterly adore Toxik's two albums, but thanks anyway man.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 pm 

Xlxlx, you've referred you wanted harsh vocals on your melodic/tech thrash, I suppose you know the Russian band Aspid?! I can also recommend Aftermath, Abuser or Invocator, although I have no idea if that's really what you're after.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm 

How many good riffs do Skeletonwitch have?! Shit, if their vocalist had any actual talent and charisma, they would be one of the greatest bands in the world.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:49 am 

I always thought the bloke singing in Skeletonwitch was pretty charismatic. He just looks like he's having a blast when they play live.

Bringing up this band, I prefer the drumming on the previous albums. I'm not a drummer so I can't really tell if the previous dude is great, but he impresses me quite a lot on Permafrost and Breathing the Fire. That's not to say the new fella isn't good.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:22 pm 

androdion wrote:
Xlxlx, you've referred you wanted harsh vocals on your melodic/tech thrash, I suppose you know the Russian band Aspid?! I can also recommend Aftermath, Abuser or Invocator, although I have no idea if that's really what you're after.

Already know both Aspid and Abuser, although the other two should receive a listen just out of curiosity. Thanks!

And Necroticism174; are you dissin' one of the Skeletonwitch members? Cause if you got a problem with them, you got a problem with ME! :-P

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 pm 

Indeed I am. The dude just sounds so boring and all of his vocal lines are basically the same.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:56 pm 

I, on the other hand, can't seriously imagine anyone else behind the mic of Skeletonwitch who's not Chance. He might not be the most distinctive vocalist ever, but he compensates that with tons of power and charisma, although hey; perspectives. And now that you're here, may I ask; have you listened to Hypnosia's Extreme Hatred which we discussed in this very page? Because if you haven't, I think you should remedy that.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:00 pm 

He makes up for it live with his intimidating stage presence. Hypnosia is pretty intense, riff after riff after riff, I dig it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:08 pm 

Hypnosia are indeed pretty intense, but that's not all they have going for them, as the songwriting and riffs are top notch beyond the shadow of a doubt.

And on a more tech related note, Invocator's Excursion Demise is RAPING MY MIND!!! Who would've thought Artillery weren't the only interesting Danish thrash band? Thanks a ton for mentioning them, androdion. You're a good person.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:48 pm 

Xlxlx you will probably like Sadus then. They progressed towards a more technical sound throughout their career. Chemical Exposure is fast and brutal thrash with Arise being somewhat technical but still brutal and Visions being the most technical. All 3 albums are great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRX_cIA3wE

Geisha Goner will probably suit you. They use quite a variety of vocals over their technical thrash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmf6jsx6LCQ

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:59 pm 

I know and love Sadus' early albums, especially Swallowed in Black, but never heard of these Geisha Goner guys, although that song seriously picked my interest, especially the vocals. Tell me, does every band member take part in recording them? As it sounds like many different people got behind the mic at some point.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:32 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
And on a more tech related note, Invocator's Excursion Demise is RAPING MY MIND!!! Who would've thought Artillery weren't the only interesting Danish thrash band? Thanks a ton for mentioning them, androdion. You're a good person.

Well, this made me chuckle! :p

Speaking of Geisha Goner, there's another band from Poland you should check, Wolf Spider. Check their album Kingdom of Paranoia, you might get some kicks out of it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:19 pm 

Mmmmm..... Wolf Spider isn't doing much for me, to be honest. Geisha Goner seem miles above them right now, but then again it's only my first listen, so we'll have to see. Not a good first impression, though.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:43 pm 

Well, you can't win everytime! :p My last rec, Depressive Age, a rather peculiar and twisted tech thrash collective.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:59 pm 

Listening to Lying in Wait's titletrack right now. Love the use of dissonance, and I gotta say it; this is indeed very crazy for thrash. Almost disturbing. The clockwork rhythm of the drumming and unsettling vocals just make it all the more deranged. This is sweet man, thank you!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 136  Next