* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:13 pm 

Kruel wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
[Fastkill's vocalist is kinda, shrieky. That and semi-possessed.

I think the vocals of Fastkill are almost "harsh falsettos." Did I mention this earlier...?

Yes, but that was in reference to a different rec. This was to someone after that post.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:00 pm 

I already asked in the FFA thread, but I'll ask here for extra results, too. I'd like to know of more thrash bands that use female vocals (minus the obvious like Holy Moses).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:19 pm 

Are you familiar with Detente?

edit: Actually Gutterscream's Detente review contains a brief who's who of female vocalists from the 80's (not all thrash, though). You could reference that as a decent starting point...

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:23 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:
Indeed, I've heard Coroner (Tommy Vetterli doubling tracking himself is the best guitar duo in metal) as well as Realm, which is right on the money of what I'm looking for with songs like "Slay the Oppressor". I've been meaning to check out Anacrusis, though, so I will go with them.

Hades (US) might work for you, especially their second album. It's a bit more on the power/thrash side of things, but no more than a step or two away from Realm's Endless War.

EDIT: Ulysses Siren too, maybe. The vocalist isn't squeaky clean but he's still high-register and not growly. Not to mention that the riffage is excellent.
I've heard Ulysses Siren, but I'll check out Hades and Fastkill as I haven't heard anything from either. Power/thrash is accurate of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:54 pm 

Just Checked out this instrumental Thrash (just the album Lethal Legacy) band called Mastery. Good shit, since they focus more on the sound rather than following the vocals.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:59 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
I've been trying to find more thrash like Toxik's 'World Circus' (I think I picked up that rec from a thread you made earlier last month, DGYDP). Laaz Rockit is another good example, now that I think about it.

Basically something very fast-paced, shrieky vocals, and catchy intense riffing. Time period isn't really an issue, I'd actually like to see some more current bands in this style since most seem to be doing the more Exodus/Kreator thing. I'd say the main criteria is fast and shrieky.

Dude, Accuser is all you need. "The Conviction" is all you need. It's pretty technical and it's by far the most fun and creative thrash metal album I've ever heard. It's so fucking awesome, haha. Go get it now!

Also, check out Intruder and Agony. All three of those bands are very much in the thrash/speed metal category.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:00 pm 

InfernoNecrosis wrote:
I already asked in the FFA thread, but I'll ask here for extra results, too. I'd like to know of more thrash bands that use female vocals (minus the obvious like Holy Moses).

Sentinel Beast and Znowhite.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:02 pm 

Blackend wrote:
Just Checked out this instrumental Thrash (just the album Lethal Legacy) band called Mastery. Good shit, since they focus more on the sound rather than following the vocals.

The problem with instrumental thrash is that it fails to deliver aggression. Mastery has great riffage, both in terms of quality and quantity, but the riff-only sections sound amazing in normal thrash only because at some point the vocals come in to give variation and explode the aggression. When you listen to instrumental thrash, it just feels like it's building up all the way, ready to explode at some point, but never does it. It gets frustrating. By the way, I'm not talking about epics like those Metallica's, which are not very thrashy and work quite well.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:00 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:
Indeed, I've heard Coroner (Tommy Vetterli doubling tracking himself is the best guitar duo in metal) as well as Realm, which is right on the money of what I'm looking for with songs like "Slay the Oppressor". I've been meaning to check out Anacrusis, though, so I will go with them.

Hades (US) might work for you, especially their second album. It's a bit more on the power/thrash side of things, but no more than a step or two away from Realm's Endless War.

EDIT: Ulysses Siren too, maybe. The vocalist isn't squeaky clean but he's still high-register and not growly. Not to mention that the riffage is excellent.
I've heard Ulysses Siren, but I'll check out Hades and Fastkill as I haven't heard anything from either. Power/thrash is accurate of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I think everyone who likes Ulysses Siren could get a kick out of Onslaught's "The Force".

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:33 pm 

has anyone ever heard of a band called Lich King? Are they any good? I heard there like classic Exodus ala Bonded By Blood, is that any true?

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:39 pm 

noobsofsocialreality wrote:
has anyone ever heard of a band called Lich King? Are they any good? I heard there like classic Exodus ala Bonded By Blood, is that any true?

Quality-wise, it doesn't match Bonded By Blood, of course, but it does have the classic Bay Area sound.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:39 pm 

Visionary and others are a huge fan I'm pretty sure, from what I hear they do have kind of retro edge to their stuff.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:43 pm 

k, sounds good guys :)

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:01 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Dude, Accuser is all you need. "The Conviction" is all you need. It's pretty technical and it's by far the most fun and creative thrash metal album I've ever heard. It's so fucking awesome, haha. Go get it now!

Also, check out Intruder and Agony. All three of those bands are very much in the thrash/speed metal category.
I'll check out Accuser and Agony, I've got both Intruder albums but I only remember 'Psycho Savant' (which has a 67% for some reason on this site).

Xeogred wrote:
I think everyone who likes Ulysses Siren could get a kick out of Onslaught's "The Force".
I was actually listening to that this morning :)

I'm liking what I've heard from Hades so far (Alan Tecchio :bow:).

Fastkill isn't exactly what I'm looking for but it too is quite awesome; very frantic. Kind of reminds me of early Sadus.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:56 pm 

I've only heard Onslaught's In Search Of Sanity album. I quite like it a lot since it had the singer from Grim Reaper on it. Adds a nice touch to the sound.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:08 pm 

Dammit, not knowing when Heathen's new album is going to be released, much less if it's going to be released at all, is really starting to get to me. It's supposedly supposed to be released spring/summer of this year, but summer is almost around the corner, and I think they'd release some new information about it by now. :annoyed:

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:14 pm 

I'm thinking of putting Assassin - The Upcoming Terror on my wish list.

Suggestions?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:20 pm 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
I'm thinking of putting Assassin - The Upcoming Terror on my wish list.

Suggestions?

That album is kinda' really frickin' awesome. "Interstellar Experience" is a decent album but it feels too scattered and unfocused - not to mention the really crappy production. "The Club" is passable. It has some really thrashy moments but it also has some really scattered moments as well.

SouthofHeaven11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:07 pm 

Nocturnal Breed - Fields of Rot
ExMortus - In Hatred's Flame
Lich King - Necromantic Maelstrom
Torture Squad - Pandemonium (or Hellbound)
Victimizer - The Final Assault
Deathchain - Deathrash Assault (best death/thrash album around IMO).
Ritual Carnage - Every Nerve Alive
Sekhmet - The Last Stand
Sodomizer - The Dead Shall Rise to Kill
Hyades - ...And the Worst is Yet to Come

Those are probably the best modern thrash albums I can think of (obviously excluding the big names such as Destruction, Sodom, etc.)

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:55 am 

I've only heard Onslaught's In Search Of Sanity album. I quite like it a lot since it had the singer from Grim Reaper on it. Adds a nice touch to the sound.

Seen my review? "The Force" is like a totally different world man. ;)

As for Hades (US) I'd have to say I liked their debut the most. It definitely seemed more USPM driven, but damn was it still heavy and awesome. Reminds me a bit of Tyrant's Reign, awesome stuff too. Definitely don't overlook that one Masked Jackal and others. ;)

And yeah, Alan Tecchio kicks ass on vocals. (also, reminds me of Tyrant Reign's singer, lol).

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:59 am 

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
Are these bands worth checking out?
Holy Moses
Mekong Delta
Onslaught
Atrophy
Defiance
Hirax
Whiplash

Onslaught's "The Force" is one of the greatest ever albums. "In Search Of Sanity" is a different vibe but still very nice. Their latest was crappy nu exodus worship tho...

"Finished With The Dogs" by Holy Moses is mandatory thrash. Furious stuff with cool vocals. "Socialized Hate" by Atrophy is another must have.

I've never found Whiplash particularly appealing with the horrible vocals and riffs that aren't too interesting but you might find something you like seen as so many people like 'em.

Hirax and Defiance are disposable bands and Mekong Delta are pretty hard to get into and not impressive from a riff perspective.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:46 am 

Dammit, not knowing when Heathen's new album is going to be released, much less if it's going to be released at all, is really starting to get to me. It's supposedly supposed to be released spring/summer of this year, but summer is almost around the corner, and I think they'd release some new information about it by now. :annoyed:

They were just adding some finishing touches on some pre-production last week.

Also, they SIGNED a deal a long time ago. The album has to be released. It was signed in ink, with Mascot records.

My very reliable sources have been feeding me some good info lately, so fear not. :lol:

They're just very ninja-like when they work, trust me.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:54 am 

Any thrash bands with any sort of virtuosic or neoclassical influence?

If not, how about some very, very melodic stuff?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:03 am 

Snowgrave wrote:

Exmortus is exactly pure fucking virtuostically neoclassical madness of shredfully tainted guitar wizardry.

For VERY melodic stuff: Artillery.

Last edited by Kruel on Sun May 18, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:11 am 

Snowgrave wrote:

Cacophony

Thats all you really need. Marty Friedman and Jason Becker are both on guitars so you know this band is nothing but mind blowing shred

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:14 am 

Oracle (US) (the one with the As Darkness Reigns album) should work. If it weren't for the riffs it'd be hard to call thrash metal at all (it's more US power/traditional/thrash) and as a result is very melodic. I'm no expert on classical music or what 'neo-classical' is strictly defined as, but every solo sounds classical and if BaronVonK's review is accurate a lot of them are taken from classical pieces anyways.

Last edited by HamburgerBoy on Sun May 18, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:17 am 

Snowgrave wrote:

Cacophony

Thats all you really need. Marty Friedman and Jason Becker are both on guitars so you know this band is nothing but mind blowing shred

Cacophony is thrash???

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:23 am 

Thank you fellas, I will check out all 4 of those bands.

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:29 am 

Kruel wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Cacophony

Cacophony is thrash???

Yeah...First time I've heard them tagged as that...

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:56 am 

Kruel wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Cacophony

Cacophony is thrash???

No, they are not. Speed metal actually. Yea, that never really crossed my mind sorry. When someone said neoclassical/shred I just have to blabber Cacophony. I don't even like em that much.

Sorry, Cacophony is not THRASH

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:10 am 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:
Are these bands worth checking out?
Holy Moses
Mekong Delta
Onslaught
Atrophy
Defiance
Hirax
Whiplash

I've never found Whiplash particularly appealing with the horrible vocals and riffs that aren't too interesting but you might find something you like seen as so many people like 'em.

@TheFourHorsemen666: Don't listen to him! ... :P

Whiplash kicks ass in my opinion and I love the vocals.

Onslaught's 'The Force' is indeed epic.

I've been listening to Atrophy a bit lately. They're not bad, but not that inspired. Sounds a bit like Violence's 'Eternal Nightmare' with less of a flare. I've only heard 'Socialized Hate' though. I'm pretty sure Defiance is the same case here from what I remember. Not bad, but not exactly too exciting. Hirax is okay.

Don't know much about those other bands. But, if you haven't, check out Rigor Mortis' s/t and Torture 'Storm Alert'. I think a thrash fan of any kind should be able to dig these.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:13 am 

Kruel wrote:
Exmortus is exactly pure fucking virtuostically neoclassical madness of shredfully tainted guitar wizardry.

On the subject of Exmortus, wasn't their debut album supposed to come out last month? Any news on that?

Lick King are good but I'd rather listen to other bands than them, not sure why though. Rigor Mortis and Torture kick ass. Can't wait for the new Heathen either, that 2005 demo is better than some of their classic songs!

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:44 am 

The_Boss wrote:
There's nothing wrong with singing about killing posers? Are you a poser??

Of course I am, I listen to At The Gates and secretly jack-off to Slipknot while claiming that Thrash is my favorite genre when all I know is St. Anger era Metallica ;)

It's not that I DON'T like songs about killing posers, it's just that the whole theme becomes really-really tired after 5 songs in one fucking album.
we sail across the sea!

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:49 am 

But, as I mentioned before, thrash is not really about the lyrics. Sure, some bands make them sound "intelligent" but most of the time they're not. The riffs are the basis of an awesome thrash record and if that record has good lyrics too then great, but if it doesn't, who cares?

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:04 am 

DGYDP wrote:
But, as I mentioned before, thrash is not really about the lyrics. Sure, some bands make them sound "intelligent" but most of the time they're not. The riffs are the basis of an awesome thrash record and if that record has good lyrics too then great, but if it doesn't, who cares?

Very true! Possessed have absolutely shit lyrics yet they're one of favorite bands. But in the thrash revivalist scene, it seems to be a requirement for bands to sing about killing posers (well maybe just the ones from SoCal.) So let me end by saying I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SONGS ABOUT KILLING POSERS. I just find it peculiar for Fueled by Fire to not sing about something else for a whole fucking album!
we sail across the sea!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:22 am 

DGYDP wrote:

Yup. Even if the vocalists are utterly sloppy and hard to understand, also ... who cares? :P

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 am 

I'm looking for some thrash that sounds like Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" album. There's some pretty cool death/thrash out there but nothing I've listened to besides Sodom's "Obsessed by Cruelty" bears much similarities to PTK. The thing I really loved about PTK was that its proto-death riffs featured a strong punk influence, unlike most early death/thrash that mostly comprised of downtuned thrash riffs. The drumming on PTK was also sloppy and wildly out of control, which made it so much fun to listen to. PTK is quite possibly my favorite album, so it would be awesome to hear more stuff like it. Any suggestions?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 am 

aces_high wrote:
I'm looking for some thrash that sounds like Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" album. There's some pretty cool death/thrash out there but nothing I've listened to besides Sodom's "Obsessed by Cruelty" bears much similarities to PTK. The thing I really loved about PTK was that its proto-death riffs featured a strong punk influence, unlike most early death/thrash that mostly comprised of downtuned thrash riffs. The drumming on PTK was also sloppy and wildly out of control, which made it so much fun to listen to. PTK is quite possibly my favorite album, so it would be awesome to hear more stuff like it. Any suggestions?

Sepultura's first two seem to be the closest to PtK. Death/thrash, quite sloppy (at least, they're not exactly the most technical players ..), and some great riffage. Raw-produced, of course.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:04 am 

Kruel wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:

Cacophony

Cacophony is thrash???

No, they are not. Speed metal actually. Yea, that never really crossed my mind sorry. When someone said neoclassical/shred I just have to blabber Cacophony. I don't even like em that much.

Sorry, Cacophony is not THRASH

LOL.

"Neoclassic influenced thrash?"

"BLEURGH CACOPHONY."

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:20 am 

Kruel wrote:
aces_high wrote:

Sepultura's first two seem to be the closest to PtK. Death/thrash, quite sloppy (at least, they're not exactly the most technical players ..), and some great riffage. Raw-produced, of course.

Agreed. Also you might like Overkill's sideproject Speed/Kill\Hate. The production is neater, but it's pretty all over the place. Vocals sound a little metalcore, but other than that they might be up your alley.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 136  Next