Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:48 am 

Mikeandrd9215 wrote:
Looking for bands similar to Suicidal Angels, Cowboys From Hell Pantera, Kill em All Metallica, The Blackening Machine Head.

Mid-nineties Sepultura, Demiricuous, Legion Of The Damned, A Fistful Of Metal. I got nothing for Machine Head. Maybe go check out some Vio-Lence instead?

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 346608
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:26 pm 

I'm looking for bands similar to Sepultura and Slayer, which have a lot of riffs and are somewhat close to death metal.
Think about the songs in Beneath The Remains and Hell Awaits.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:33 pm 

gzorze_ wrote:
I'm looking for bands similar to Sepultura and Slayer, which have a lot of riffs and are somewhat close to death metal.

Are DARK ANGEL and SADUS too obvious? Great bands worth listening to if you haven't already.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:19 pm 

Morbid Saint, Protector, Attomica, Demolition Hammer.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:41 pm 

Some more bands or albums you might dig (because death/thrash is the best thrash)

Invocator - Excursion Demise
Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead
Panic - Rotten Church
Torture - Storm Alert
Cabal - Midian
Aggression - The Full Treatment
Num Skull - Ritually Abused
Assorted Heap - The Experience of Horror
Devastation - Signs of Life
Necrodeath - Into the Macabre
Energetic Krusher - Path to Oblivion
Insanity - Death After Death
Thanatos - Emerging from the Netherworld
Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather
Slaughter - Strappado
Silent Scream - From the Darkest Depths of Imagination
Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred
Overthrow - Within Suffering
Epidemic - S/T

Last edited by ~Guest 74046 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:10 am 

Looking for some slow tempo thrash. Can you guys recommend please?

Not quite sure but Meshuggah fits the bill this. Although they aren't thrash, they have thrash elements with a slow doom-y feel to their songs.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:27 am 

Dream Death is the first band that comes to mind. Journey into Mystery is a classic, but their recent album Somnium Excessum is really cool too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1XmmU_s0f4

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:19 pm 

Check out Cerebral Fix and Seventh Angel too, especially Tower of Spite from the former and The Torment from the latter.

Uncle Slayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:06 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db47yvnvJwc

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:56 pm 

Anti - Anger

The Belarusian Sergey "Bear" offers us a full-lenght quite original which would have had to come out in 1995. The guitars pass in turn, crazy or catchy (also thanks to the bass), the sound of singing, sometimes sung in clear voice or same version new wave (I do not know) or more traditionally... recess.

FridolinMM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:40 am 

gzorze_ wrote:

gggbfxfdhedf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:19 am 

Progressive Thrash in the vein of this:

Vocal/guitar style (ie. screaming, growls, down tuning) doesn't really matter much, but I would like the music to have kind of an aggressive but at the same time melodic feel to it. I like to hear unconventional song structures, but at the same type it can't be super pretentious and boring (ie. Dream Theater).

Thanks in advance.

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:43 am 

gggbfxfdhedf wrote:
Progressive Thrash in the vein of this:

Vocal/guitar style (ie. screaming, growls, down tuning) doesn't really matter much, but I would like the music to have kind of an aggressive but at the same time melodic feel to it. I like to hear unconventional song structures, but at the same type it can't be super pretentious and boring (ie. Dream Theater).

Thanks in advance.

There's this relatively new band called Reek who I've fallen in love with, they're the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. Listen to hypochondriac. Best of all their album is free on Bandcamp! https://reekofficial.bandcamp.com/
YouTube:
https://youtu.be/IpHHtQSEng4?si=SkrRhwSLhz6MLjsq

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:49 pm 

Anything like Artillery's Fear of Tomorrow?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:32 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Maybe TARGET's first album?

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:50 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Maybe Mekong Delta's first 2 albums? I don't listen to FoT much, I'm just going by 'Into the Universe' that came on at random.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:54 pm 

Target's sound was kind of similar to FoT, but the style was totally different. Mekong Delta's were a bit closer, but not enough. To make the suggestion broader (and easier) I'm looking for OS, dark and groovy thrash/speed metal

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:16 am 

Holy Terror's first album. Realm's Endless War. I assume any of the tech-thrash acts from the eighties would do, (but fuck Watchtower).

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:46 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Some more bands or albums you might dig (because death/thrash is the best thrash)

Invocator - Excursion Demise
Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead
Panic - Rotten Church
Torture - Storm Alert
Cabal - Midian
Aggression - The Full Treatment
Num Skull - Ritually Abused
Assorted Heap - The Experience of Horror
Devastation - Signs of Life
Necrodeath - Into the Macabre
Energetic Krusher - Path to Oblivion
Insanity - Death After Death
Thanatos - Emerging from the Netherworld
Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather
Slaughter - Strappado
Silent Scream - From the Darkest Depths of Imagination
Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred
Overthrow - Within Suffering
Epidemic - S/T

Awesome list thanks!! Have been searching for more stuff like this after going on recent Possessed binge.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:02 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Holy Terror's first album. Realm's Endless War. I assume any of the tech-thrash acts from the eighties would do, (but fuck Watchtower).

Oh yeah, I actually have heard those two, beast albums

Ass Thrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:10 pm 

I've been getting into more thrash lately, can I get some recommendations similar to Megadeth and Annihilator, with long instrumental sections and solos and stuff? Overkill is pretty cool too, but I'm not a fan of the vocals.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:26 am 

Ass Thrash wrote:
I've been getting into more thrash lately, can I get some recommendations similar to Megadeth and Annihilator, with long instrumental sections and solos and stuff? Overkill is pretty cool too, but I'm not a fan of the vocals.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:07 am 

Anybody know of any thrash bands with vocals reminiscent of 80s Geoff Tate? Like really aggressive backing music but clean and dramatic vocals.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:41 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Anybody know of any thrash bands with vocals reminiscent of 80s Geoff Tate? Like really aggressive backing music but clean and dramatic vocals.

More groove than pure thrash ...

Another album in this vein is listed in MA as groove/progressive, so I guess as "groove" it can go under thrash, although it certainly isn't typical thrash, or groove for that matter. Great album, great epic vocals. Nothing like their early stuff. One of the more professional and epic sounding albums I've heard in a long time.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:32 pm 

Ah yeah I love The Year the Sun Died. Warrel's one of my favorite singers and that album has some super memorable songwriting, although I wouldn't call it thrash at all really.

Biomechanical is a band I've recently started listening to. John K's voice is definitely more on the raspy Painkiller type side of things than what I'm looking for this particular request, but I'm enjoying checking them out regardless.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:26 am 

Maybe Haven. A bit of power/trad mixed in with the thrash riffing, and the singer isn't quite a Tate-clone although still on the melodramatic, upper-range side of things.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:46 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:

My favorite kind of music! (the only real Tate clone in this list is IMHO the guy from HAVE MERCY)

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:09 am 

Recommend me thrash metal bands that have the most consistent discographies. Bands that have released top quality albums throughout their career

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:29 am 

Purabid wrote:
Recommend me thrash metal bands that have the most consistent discographies. Bands that have released top quality albums throughout their career

Tankard - I think most people would say their first 2 or 3 albums are their best, but I like their newer work the most. I haven't heard all of the mid-era stuff, but even up to their 5th album, Stone Cold Sober, they were awesome. Tankard has no equal when it comes to thrash consistency.

Heathen - Only 3 albums, but I think most people are incredibly receptive to their new album, and the old 2 are undisputed classics. If you can find it, I'd also seek out their 2005 demo, which has way better versions of songs that would later appear on the new album.

Hirax - Haven't heard them all, but what I have heard is very convincing. In fact, I've never really heard anyone say a bad word about any of their albums, subject to the fact that you can deal with Katon's voice.

Intruder - Also only 3 albums, but each one is awesome, as they transformed from a speed/thrash band into a more technical thrash group.

Razor - Haven't heard Decibels or Custom Killing (arguably the two most questionable), but they still made consistently awesome records throughout their career, and did so with two different vocalists. Even though they changed their sound, each album undeniably sounds like Razor.

Depending on how far outside the boundaries of thrash metal you're willing to go, I would also check out Anvil's discography. They only have one truly out of character/bad album (Strength of Steel), and everything else ranges from decent (some of the later stuff) to outright incredible (the first 3), to super underrated (Speed of Sound, which is practically a thrash album, and Plenty of Power).

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:52 am 

Agree fully with Tankard, really excellent overall discography!

Coroner is an obvious mention: their first three discs are legendary, but even the other two less thrashy their full lenghts are more than solid

Bulldozer has a really consistent discography, all their full lenghts are worth owning if you are a fan of the style!

the Japanese black/thrash band Sabbat also deserve a great mention: The Dwelling may be one of my all-time favourite records, but all their albums are loaded with high quality riffs

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:10 pm 

Been listening to a lot of Hypnosia, Desaster, Ritual Carnage lately. Looking for more thrash in that style: recent but retro yet with a dark, menacing vibe (ie. not party-thrash ala Municipal Waste, etc) -- black/crust influence acceptable .

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:21 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Been listening to a lot of Hypnosia, Desaster, Ritual Carnage lately. Looking for more thrash in that style: recent but retro yet with a dark, menacing vibe (ie. not party-thrash ala Municipal Waste, etc) -- black/crust influence acceptable .

EXPLUSION - Wasteworld
ELIMINATOR - Breaking the Wheel

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:45 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
televiper11 wrote:

EXPLUSION - Wasteworld
ELIMINATOR - Breaking the Wheel

Well, Eliminator sure is promising. Great riffs and vocals, not too sold on the drums (slightly staid patterns, kinda sounds like a drum machine).

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:22 pm 

Really diggin' this Nervosa album:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:51 pm 

As a huge VIO-LENCE fan, I was just wondering what are the best MACHINE HEAD songs since Phil Demmel joined the band?

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:48 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
As a huge VIO-LENCE fan, I was just wondering what are the best MACHINE HEAD songs since Phil Demmel joined the band?

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Machine Head, but I can recommend a couple of songs that I enjoy quite a lot. But, I would suggest checking out The Blackening. It's definitely not as bad as people say it is, but I can't say it's ball-busting either. Check out "Clenching The Fists Of Dissent"; its straight up thrash metal guitar savagery with some interesting progressions. But as a whole, I find the band to be incredibly generic.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:54 pm 

Any bands out there that have vocals similar to Metallica? Testament for example.

IcyScythe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:49 am 

Ok so I tend to dislike trash, but I LOVE the aggression of songs like "Black City Black Fire" - Destroyer 666 and this little gem I stumbled on:

http://orkbastards.bandcamp.com/

I don't care about solos, so it's actually a plus the less solos there are (I'm fine if they're more in the background ala the solos on Emperor - ATWAD, I just dislike those super flashy bluesy ones), but if anyone could recommend me some music along the lines of the above that would be awesome. I don't care where it sits on the punk-thrash-BM continuum.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:52 pm 

nestee8 wrote:
Any bands out there that have vocals similar to Metallica? Testament for example.

4Arm and Trivium come to mind.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:43 pm 

I was wondering if anyone knew of any power thrash groups along the likes of Meliah Rage, particularly their first two efforts. I like the switch-ups between the faster, thrashier stuff and more mid-paced, traditional metal-type stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 136  Next