Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:05 pm 

Try Desaster

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:14 am 

Warlord Wossman, Temple of Blood, metroplex, thanks a bunch guys!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:55 am 

theagentcoma wrote:
Which 80's thrash albums have the best production? I want to listen to something that won't sound like shite in my car.

Sacred Reich - first two
Annihilator - first two
Forbidden - first two, esp. Twisted into Form
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Sodom - Agent Orange

...all sound excellent in the car. They are all very clean but also strong and warm. Should work for you.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

mbp84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:11 pm 

I have a question for you guys: What would a list of the First Wave of US, German Thrash Metal be like? It doesn't have to be only the most famous bands or yes whatever I'm really interested in your opinion!. You can also include if you want south america, uk or europe lists.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:53 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
theagentcoma wrote:
Which 80's thrash albums have the best production? I want to listen to something that won't sound like shite in my car.

Sacred Reich - first two
Annihilator - first two
Forbidden - first two, esp. Twisted into Form
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Sodom - Agent Orange

...all sound excellent in the car. They are all very clean but also strong and warm. Should work for you.

Thanks! Will look into these.

ImFloooyd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:13 pm 

Aspid - Extravasation (1992)
Toxik - World Circus (1986) / Think This (1989)
Artillery - By Inheritance (1990)
Stone - No Anaesthesia (1989)
Sacrifice - Forward to Termination (1987)
Heathen - Victims of Deception (1991)
Annihilator - Alice in Hell (1988)
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil (1988)
Kreator - Extreme Aggression (1989)
Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care (1989)
Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986)

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:06 pm 

So I've noticed something kind of interesting. I tend to enjoy the bands with one-word names like Overkill, Testament, Sepultura, Destruction, Sodom, etc, but I stay away from bands with longer names. I don't know if I do this consciously or not but I think it's kind of funny. For example, I've never listened to Toxic Holocaust, Municipal Waste, Suicidal Tendencies, or Flotsam & Jetsam. They just don't sound as thrash-y to me, I guess.

So does anyone have a good suggestion with there to start with these bands?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:45 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:
So I've noticed something kind of interesting. I tend to enjoy the bands with one-word names like Overkill, Testament, Sepultura, Destruction, Sodom, etc, but I stay away from bands with longer names. I don't know if I do this consciously or not but I think it's kind of funny. For example, I've never listened to Toxic Holocaust, Municipal Waste, Suicidal Tendencies, or Flotsam & Jetsam. They just don't sound as thrash-y to me, I guess.

One word names are the coolest IMO. As for your request, not overly familiar with Toxic Holocaust, but for Municipal Waste start with The Art of Partying, for Suicidal Tendencies start with the debut (more of a hardcore punk album, but it's awesome), and for Flotsam & Jetsam start with Doomsday for the Deceiver.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:45 pm 

If you don't mind a slightly goofy vibe, Lights... Camera... Revolution is one of the coolest thrash records. It's my fave from Suicidal Tendencies for sure.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:08 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
If you don't mind a slightly goofy vibe, Lights... Camera... Revolution is one of the coolest thrash records. It's my fave from Suicidal Tendencies for sure.

I saw it at the record store last week and I was thinking of buying it because I had heard good things about it, but I couldn't get past the name or album cover.

I'm such a shallow person.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:31 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:

I never noticed, but it does seem the preponderance of band names are single words.

Yeah, ST's Lights is good ... if you can take the voice. IMO, most newer thrash, like Toxic Holocaust and Municipal Waste, while tight and good at first listen, get monotonous real fast. How about some other multi-word bands with a little variety in the songs?

Old stuff:
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Sacred Reich - Ignorance
Laaz Rockit - Know Your Enemy

Newer stuff:
Angelus Apatrida - The Call
Just One Fix - Let Them Hate ... So Long As They Fear
Lethal Outcome - Divide and Rule
Nocturnal Fear - Excessive Cruelty
Savage Messiah - Insurrection Rising

If you don't mind the monotony this one is ridiculously super tight:
Gama Bomb - Citizen Brain

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:37 am 

Do you know what we should make?
I listen to a lot of thrash. I mostly listen to old bands, but I am actively searching for new ones (from this millenium) and yet I find them only a few. I think most of new thrash bands are retro bullshit and thats why I rarely find a modern thrash band which I like.

So I came up with an idea: Everyone proposes 1, 2 or 3 thrash bands with their best album listed along. A band you propose must have been formed after a year 2000. After that we make a list of them, we vote and get a top 10 best thrash bands with their best albums of this millenium so far.

The rules are: - you can propose (almost) all forms of thrash including crossover
- band you proposed must have been formed after a year 2000
- retro thrash, grove, nu and metalcore mixed thrash bands are forbidden
- only albums - no eps, singles, demos and compiliations
- orginality of an album (band) is important
- it would be nice if an album or a playlisted songs are on youtube
- you can propose max 3 bands (with only 1 link for each band)
- genre proof of a band liked near an album you proposed (a link from MA)
- no superbands (if thats what they are called), basicly no new bands with members of old skull thrash or other genres. Simplified: No Hatriot because Zetro (exodus) sings for them also no Pasadena Napalm Division because Kurt Brecht (D.R.I.) sings for them and such stuff.

I will start: I propose: - Deathhammer - Onward to the Pits
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Deathhammer/57061

- Black Fast - Starving out the light
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Black_Fast/3540368826

Last edited by klun222 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:29 am 

I mentioned 6 thrash bands in a post on the "Worthwhile albums of 2016" thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113254&p=2662043#p2662043

Harm* - October Fire

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Harm/25734
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nervosa - Agony

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nervosa/3540350698
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crisix - From Blue to Black

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crisix/3540336895

* Band formed in 1997 but all their material has been released after 2004 so they kind of qualify. Right?
Black Fast are fucking awesome, love them!

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:36 am 

Great job IamDBR, now we need more posts comming and some sort of voting system, anyone cares to help?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:05 am 

I'll state the obvious to get it out of the way:
Vektor - Black Future Best thrash band that was not formed in the 80s.

Trallery (Spain) - Catalepsy
My favorite Spanish metal album. Lots of variety and awesome influences. Started as a Metallica tribute band (and still play gigs like that) but they have very different vocals and incorporate stuff from loads of thrash, deathrash and power/heavy sources. First song on the album above is their most Metallica composition but you can get an idea of their musical range by sampling Disease (razor sharp thrash) and then In the Wings of the Night (a straight heavy/power oddity) and Path of Life (my favorite). Fantastic solos too.

Nekromantheon (Norway) - Rise, Vulcan Spectre
Since you posted Deathhammer I am sure you are aware of these close friends of theirs. My favorite 2012 release.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:09 am 

Speaking of Vektor, after three great demos Teleport's debut EP is ready for release.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:28 am 

theagentcoma wrote:

I don't know where these would rank as 'goofy' and not thrashy to you but...

Laaz Rockit - Know Your Enemy
Laaz Rockit - Annihilation Principle
Laaz Rockit - Nothing' Sacred

A fantastic trilogy of some of the best thrash ever recorded and always overlooked. Their earlier stuff is kinda cheesy traditional metal and their latest reunion album was terrible but for one golden moment in time, Laaz Rockit was killing it.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 pm 

I'll cast my vote for Ripper.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:49 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tem ... lood/49138
Spoiler: show

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Expulsion/51905

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Immaculate/51827

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:08 pm 

Opus wrote:
Speaking of Vektor, after three great demos Teleport's debut EP is ready for release.

Whoa. That was actually pretty cool but it's a bit unnerving how much they sound like they only could have formed after hearing Vektor. That may not even be the case but the sound, the logo...sheesh. I guess this is a thing now! I'm not particularly mad at that. Vektor, Droid, Teleport...cool bands, man.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:22 pm 

Checked out Teleport and it is killer shit. I for one welcome this new wave of progressive black/thrash or celestial/space thrash (I'm sure we can compromise on the genre name :p). Thanks @ Jonpo!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:25 pm 

Don't thank me thank Opus! I just heard them right along with you. I'm still a little sketchy about how MUCH it sounds like Vektor, but I'm not mad at this becoming a thing.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:41 pm 

Nexus 6:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nexus_6/101009

This particular song is pretty thrashy with prog elements, however, the genres are all over the place with this band. Very underrated and they've been at it since 1994.

Also check out Violent Omen:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vio ... 3540311061

Yeah, I scrolled back up and realized so thanks Opus, the provider of sublime thrash!

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:42 pm 

klun222 wrote:
So I came up with an idea: Everyone proposes 1, 2 or 3 thrash bands with their best album listed along. A band you propose must have been formed after a year 2000.

For me, number one is easy. Warfect - Exoneration Denied (MA link)

As I think that's the only brilliant principally thrash album by post-2000 bands, beyond Warfect it gets a little tougher.

If thrash/death is acceptable (MA has them as death/thrash, but one listen tells you that's bass-ackwards, if there's any death at all in it), Besieged - Victims Beyond All Help (MA link)

Wow. Tougher than I thought. There's a lot of really good death/thrash albums, and even a few groove, but not many where thrash is the principle genre. Hmmm ... hell, let's go with Nocturnal Fear - Excessive Cruelty (MA link)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 am 

Warfect is awesome. Discovered them a few months ago. Their newest album is fantastic. They've got the Lost Society style of playing where they're hit you over the head with sledgehammer riffs and then switch to a super technical and groovy riff that slots in perfectly.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:18 pm 

I've got another one and it's a 2016 debut album by a band formed in 2011 no less :

Euphoria (US) - Operation: Genesis (released independently 2016)

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Euphoria/3540411937
^ 4 bands are currently sharing the same name. Why do certain kickass bands name themselves after a super-generic possibly 'taken' word/phrase? I will never know.

Melodic thrash with progressive flourishes, high pitched vocals and sci-fi theme/lyrics. Nobody is talking about this, probably overshadowed by Vektor's masterpiece, Terminal Redux, which is unfortunate considering how fucking good this is :

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:23 pm 

So any thoughts on voting system anyone?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:50 am 

While the voting system is decided upon, three more suggestions:

Nylithia - Hyperthrash Great guitarwork. Ordinary vocals (that's the weak spot in most new thrash though), a sense of frenzy and tech throughout. Very good stuff.

Mosh-pit Justice - Justice is Served

FORBIDDEN clone, which is impressive in itself, esp. vocal-wise. They write very good songs too. Very much recommended.

Endless Recovery - Revel in Demise Greeks that love speed and violence, bullet belts and all that good stuff, very good album last year on Witches Brew.

The Greek scene has released plenty of very good stuff the past years. Also check out Benefactor Decease (Xtreem Music, techy and with hints of death, great bass) and Released Anger (one of the first in the scene, with members who were playing thrash way before the revival - they achieve a very authentic old school vibe because of that)

----

From the bands mentioned, I dig Immaculate very much, Black Fast (again, my complaint is with the very ordinary vocals), Deathhammer (no complaints, fucking love them and Sgt. Salsten is one of the best extreme metal vocalists of all time) and I really dig a couple of Crisix tunes (namely the surprisingly popular Ultra Thrash. Teleport was really good, didn't know them :thumbsup:

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:01 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Warfect is awesome. Discovered them a few months ago. Their newest album is fantastic. They've got the Lost Society style of playing where they're hit you over the head with sledgehammer riffs and then switch to a super technical and groovy riff that slots in perfectly.

Generally most newer thrash bores the crap out of me, but the thing Warfect really has going is they are ridiculously, unbelievably tight, with interesting song structures. The other band I'd say is as tight, but more monotonous with less interesting song structures, therefore not mentioned in my post, is Gama Bomb ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NnXLqaMl4

MLG_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:24 pm 

A very good band and album to be mentioned more.
Tantara -Trapped in Bodies off of the "Based on Evil" album.

Also. Meshuggah's first album "Contradictions Collapse". Very good thrash album. Wish they played it live.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:08 pm 

That Tainted DickMen record mentioned earlier in this thread is absolutely awesome and the band's video for ''Don't Be Afraid'' is without a doubt the best video clip of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3Tn8qJrrs

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:19 am 

Hey guys this thread has been stagnant for a while, we had a good thing going with that 2016 hidden thrasterpiece thi....hey guys?.....guys? Is anybody there? I guess I'll just leave this here then:

Nuke - Nuke:
https://nukedetroit.bandcamp.com/
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nuke/3540396500

Bat - Wings of Chains:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bat/3540373219

More speed metal than pure thrash imo, let me know what you guys think.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:04 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Hey guys this thread has been stagnant for a while, we had a good thing going with that 2016 hidden thrasterpiece thi....hey guys?.....guys? Is anybody there?

Well, I didn't find this until 2016, but it was released the last month of 2015.

Here's a couple stand-outs released in 2016.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:25 am 

Ranger (Finland) - Where Evil Dwells (2015):

Not particularly original stuff but still pretty awesome speed/thrash goodness.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ranger/3540279861

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:33 am 

^ I am a total sucker for that kind of stuff. Their 2013 and 2014 EPs are also highly recommended.

This fucker starts with the Victim of Fate thunder (I'm pretty sure it's the actual sound from Helloween) and it's such a great, old school song, with that addictive chorus:

I assume you already know Evil Invaders from Belgium? Very similar approach and just as good imo.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:17 am 

Yeah, Evil Invaders are pretty good too. Their vocalist is fucking awesome.

Poopman25
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:48 am 

I want the craziest, fastest, most aggressive and brutal Thrash in existence! Thrash with serious Death Metal influence. Something like Demolition Hammer, Morbid Saint, Protector! So lets hear it Metal Archives, gimme what you got! Ripping Corpse maybe? Been meaning to check them out for quite some time now.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:36 am 

Poopman25 wrote:
I want the craziest, fastest, most aggressive and brutal Thrash in existence! Thrash with serious Death Metal influence. Something like Demolition Hammer, Morbid Saint, Protector! So lets hear it Metal Archives, gimme what you got! Ripping Corpse maybe? Been meaning to check them out for quite some time now.

Fastest thrash album ever, brought to you by Sadus:

How about Sadistik Exekution? Underrated Aussie death/black/thrash attack:

Witchery is catchier but still pretty kickass:

Found Sadokist recently, they play filthy blackened thrash w/ fitting shit production:

Blood Division are pretty killer too, couldn't find the full album though:

Euphoria are more melodic but they are so good you need to hear them anyway:

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:37 pm 

Poopman25 wrote:

Cranium for craziest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGFDhNjOEv4

And Italian Schizo for the rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JGau1OLEo
According to one of the youtube comments: "these guys make Kreator sound like fuckin' Maiden" :-D

Serious DM influence? Danish Invocator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loCxyKbFhpw
And a obscure band called Lycantrophy from Finland http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lycantrophy/38654

Enough of that! I am looking for goofy Crossover Thrash, band like Lawnmower Deth, Metal Duck, Apple Maggot Quarantine Area, Retards On Caffeine, Spazztic Blurr, Wehrmacht etc.
Songs about beer, cheeseburgers, videogames, b-movies, skating and you know satanic trampolines or about blast beating your kids. :lol:
No modern sounding stuff please.
Thanks!

Poopman25
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:50 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Poopman25 wrote:

Fastest thrash album ever, brought to you by Sadus:

How about Sadistik Exekution? Underrated Aussie death/black/thrash attack:

Witchery is catchier but still pretty kickass:

Found Sadokist recently, they play filthy blackened thrash w/ fitting shit production:

Blood Division are pretty killer too, couldn't find the full album though:

Euphoria are more melodic but they are so good you need to hear them anyway:

Thank you thank you! I love Metal Archives, im so glad I joined. Thanks for the recs! I know what im doing tonight :headbang:
I have Operation: Genesis from Euphoria, I liked it after the first listen and that doesnt happen too often! Cyberschizophrennnnnniiiiiaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Cranium for craziest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGFDhNjOEv4

I see Cranium pop up on these forums all the time, must be good!!

And Italian Schizo for the rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JGau1OLEo
According to one of the youtube comments: "these guys make Kreator sound like fuckin' Maiden" :-D

With Schizo in their name I can imagine hahaha :-D

Serious DM influence? Danish Invocator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loCxyKbFhpw
And a obscure band called Lycantrophy from Finland http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lycantrophy/38654

I have lots of homework to do tonight, have to sit down and focus :headbang:

Enough of that! I am looking for goofy Crossover Thrash, band like Lawnmower Deth, Metal Duck, Apple Maggot Quarantine Area, Retards On Caffeine, Spazztic Blurr, Wehrmacht etc.
Songs about beer, cheeseburgers, videogames, b-movies, skating and you know satanic trampolines or about blast beating your kids. :lol:
No modern sounding stuff please.
Thanks![/quote]

I wouldnt mind hearing some goofy Crossover either, very interesting band names haha!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 136  Next