Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm 

Didn't realize Slaughter broke up and essentially turned into Strapaddo. Pretty cool stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnh5Ra3 ... re=related

Kirvis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:35 pm 

Maybe someone could recommend something similar to Voivod?

P.s don't recommend Anacrusis, Obliveon and Vektor.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:09 pm 

Kirvis wrote:

Depending on what period of Voivod you want, try Holocaust (Killing/Hatross-esque), Slogan (Nothingface/Angel Rat-esque), Wartech (Hatross clones), and Doom (who don't sound particularly like any given Voivod album but have a similar weirdness all the same).

EDIT: Calhoun Conquer, too.

Kirvis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:04 am 

Thanks, I will check these bands.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 am 

I'm just throwing this band out here for whoever cares. Band is Tension, basically riding along the line that seperates the more agressive NWOBHM from thrash. Thrashy enough to be called thrash in the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2lJKtp_ ... re=related

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:40 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
I'm just throwing this band out here for whoever cares. Band is Tension, basically riding along the line that seperates the more agressive NWOBHM from thrash. Thrashy enough to be called thrash in the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2lJKtp_ ... re=related

Agreed :nods: Tension is an awesome band. Now if you are not aware of these two bands, War Dog, and ballistic are subsequent projects by Tom, the vocalist. Basically tension mk2 and mk3 :metal:

Wardog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eECgn3TjWs&feature=related

Ballistic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfinH3KSan8

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:15 am 

^Yup, that's good stuff. Gonna throw out Apothesary for whoever cares. Thrash band that formed in 2009, has a slightly modern edge, but are easily one of the best thrash resurgance groups out there. They should have an album coming out later this year.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Apothesary/190893285914

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:17 am 

I need more technothrash and/or flashy semi-technical thrash. Just recommend me something I haven't heard and I'll do the judging.

DO NOT RECOMMEND ME:

Acid Reign
Anacrusis
Annihilator
Artillery
Aspid
Blind Illusion
Coroner
Cyclone Temple
Deathrow
Defiance
Depressive Age
Doom
Forbidden
Forced Entry
Heathen
Kinetic Dissent
Mekong Delta
Meshuggah
Nasty Savage
Obliveon
Realm
Rosicrucian
Sacrosanct
Secrecy
Sieges Even
Taramis
Toxik
Watchtower
Vektor
Vendetta
Voivod
Wolf Spider

You can be pretty sure I'm familiar with the late 80s/early 90s releases by the big bands such as Metallica, Testament, Destruction, Dark Angel etc. and also mind you I am not looking for technical death/thrash. I enjoy stuff like Solstice, Sadus and Hellwitch but I think they have more in common with technical death metal.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:33 am 

You already listed pretty much every tech/prog-thrash band above the first few tiers, but into the demo and self-published realm, there's Antagonist (aggressive Exodus-esque stuff with tech-y riffs), Believer (maybe you consider them death/thrash? because they're top-grade tech-thrash to me), Butcher (Bra) (sort of groovy, shred-filled, and melodic all at the same time), Calhoun Conquer (Voivod-esque stuff with more punk influence), Holocaust (UK) (this is their only prog/thrash release), Maelstrom (USA) (hyperactive epic power/thrash), Sore Plexus (weird emotive melodic stuff, kinda like Depressive Age and Secrecy), and Spectral Incursion (gloomy punky stuff like the first couple Anacrusis albums).

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:56 am 

Ah yes Spectral Incursion! I've heard them before and they sounded great back then but for some reason I totally forgot the band. Have to revisit them immediately. Thanks for the other recs too.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:15 pm 

The_Erlking wrote:
I need more technothrash and/or flashy semi-technical thrash. Just recommend me something I haven't heard and I'll do the judging.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Arcane/1467
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ulysses_Siren/9079
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mordred/1625
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dyoxen/3098
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Alastor/15892

All those bands should be up your alley for what you are looking for. They are also all from the 80s and early 90s. Mordred is a little different in the way they mixed in funk with thrash. And I am sure you already know Vio-lence.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:36 pm 

Hexenhaus for tech thrash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5lAtZSA5E

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:17 pm 

I'm looking for bands that sound like Cerebral Fix -- their slower, more ponderous pace, and the relatively simple riffing style seems to click with me more than other Thrash bands. Any thoughts?

EDIT: just to get the obvious slow-thrash recs out of the way, I know Celtic Frost, Seventh Angel and the slower Slayer material.

DemonofDarkness
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:50 pm 

Been working on developing my thrash metal knowledge for a while so I'm wondering if anyone of you can write me a list of essistenal albums that a thrash metal fan must get .

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:28 pm 

Since all replies for your query thus forth will be essentials for the biggest bands whom I don't really listen to much, I will recommend some lesser albums thats get over-shadowed quite a bit in these type of requests.

Pyracanda - Two sides of a coin (Victim of being late on the scene, this album is one of the catchiest thrash albums I have heard.)
Necronomicon - Escalation (Ridiculously catchy thrash album with the best use of gang shouts I have ever heard.)
Aspid - Extravasation (Just listen!)
Exhumer - Possessed by fire (Early thrash when it was just beginning it's assent into new forms of destruction (pun intended) Lots of speed, crazy vocals, and ripping speedy riffing)
Hexenhaus - A Tribute To Insanity (Semi-technical gem, lots of great musicianship on this one)
Holy terror - Both albums (It is said that if you ask any serious thrash fan about 'Holy terror' they will smile with nostalgia, and tell you that you are missing out.)
I.N.C. - The Visitor (Very catchy. One of the greatest guitar tones I have heard.)
Impact - Take The Pain (Riffs are insane. This seeps with 80's thrash attitude.)
Nuclear Simphony - Lost in Wonderland (Dystopian themed thrash, with a crossover undertone.)
Ulysses Siren - Above The Ashes (With a name like this, you know you just need to hear it!)

Have fun.

DemonofDarkness
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:16 pm 

Thanks a lot I'll check them out really soon . I guess I'm familier with the sounds of the big bands maybe except Anthrax

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:36 pm 

balbulus wrote:
I'm looking for bands that sound like Cerebral Fix -- their slower, more ponderous pace, and the relatively simple riffing style seems to click with me more than other Thrash bands. Any thoughts?

EDIT: just to get the obvious slow-thrash recs out of the way, I know Celtic Frost, Seventh Angel and the slower Slayer material.

I'm not too sure how close these come to Cerebral Fix, but Dream Death and Excruciation are on the raw, simplistic, and doom-y side of things.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:01 am 

DemonofDarkness wrote:
Been working on developing my thrash metal knowledge for a while so I'm wondering if anyone of you can write me a list of essistenal albums that a thrash metal fan must get .

Tier 1
Slayer - Reign in Blood (You can't go wrong with any of their material up to and including Seasons in the Abyss. They are all fairly mandatory)
Destruction - Eternal Devastation, Release from Agony
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill, Coma of Souls
Sodom - Persecution Mania
Metallica - (Any of their first 3 albums)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace, Peace Sells
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Possessed - Seven Churches
Overkill - (First 4 albums)
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

Others
Holy Moses - Finished with the Dogs
Anacrusis - Screams and Whispers
Annihilator - Alice in Hell
Exumer - Possessed by Fire
Evil Dead - Annihilation of Civilization
Iron Angel - Hellish Crossfire
Darkness - Death Squad
Deathrow - Deception Ignored
Testament - The Legacy
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Artillery - By Inheritance
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Sarcofago - INRI
Vendetta - Brain Damage
Nuclear Assault - Game Over

Last edited by AcidWorm on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm 

balbulus wrote:

Scepter - I'm Going to Hell
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sc ... _Hell/5071

I've never heard Cerebral Fix but this should be right up your alley based on your description of what you're looking for.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Majestic122
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:32 am 

DemonofDarkness wrote:

[/quote]
Some other good stuff that hasn't been recommended:
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare if you can stand the vocalist
Kreator - Terrible Certainty if you think Pleasure to Kill is taking it a bit too far
Sacrifice - Forward to Termination, Soldiers of Misfortune for overall awesomeness

Thrashlete
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am 

I'm looking for any bands in the same field as modern Onslaught (Killing Peace, Sounds Of Violence).

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Onslaught/782

Apep
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 pm 

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify a band. It was modern, fast death/thrash, with Teutonic influence. One of their EP covers had three hands with spiked bracers grabbing a battleaxe. I remember a song being linked on the forum, and I'd really like to listen to the group again.

Last edited by Apep on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 pm 

Bit of a long shot but are you thinking of VIndicator? One guy with 2 arms and spiked bracers holding a halberd. The music is a mix of bay area and german teutonic thrash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dbDDta6hg

Apep
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:39 am 

Thanks, but it wasn't them. Not a bad band, though.

EDIT: After quite a bit of digging, I managed to find them. Attacker Bloody Axe

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 pm 

Condition Critical has been nicknamed Demolition Hammer Jr. and for good reason. Their demo is available for free and legal download on the internet and they are one of the most promising acts of the new thrash wave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEkaAMiWN40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzsaaW3RtNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgDpSkP ... re=related

Listen to the end of Time Wave Zero. Pure Demolition Hammer worship!

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm 

Promising they are seeing as my neck feels raw after a single song :headbang:. thanks for pointing us to this band!

Katorevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:24 am 

I'm looking for Thrash with Black Metal influences/vocals. Stuff like Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust and Deströyer 666 please :headbang:

Edit: Obviously, don't recommend Kreator or the Teutonic bands. Thought it was fairly clear I was already aware of them, but you never do know...

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:35 am 

Corrupted, Sauron, Witchburner, Witchaven, Witchmaster, Witchtrap, Witchery, Nocturnal Graves, Nifelheim, Urn, Gospel of the Horns, Sithlord, Blasphemous Creation, Nocturnal Breed, Megiddo, Cruel Force, Ketzer, Hellish Crossfire, Desaster, and Hellcannon.

That should keep you occupied for a while.

Katorevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 am 

Thanks pal! :beer:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:01 pm 

You're welcome. There are a lot of bands playing black/thrash and most of those are amongst the best ones.

Katorevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm 

Yeah, just discovered Bestial Mockery too. What a band! :np:

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:31 pm 

I need some help here. Having listened to the early releases (as they came out) from a number of at least 'metal' bands in the early 80s and still following the heaviest music I can find to this day, I need some help clarifying some genre/sub-genre questions.

What distinguishes Death Metal
from
Thrash?

I like bands from early Destruction, Sodom, and Possessed to recent finds Decaptitated, Jungle Rot, Hail of Bullets, and Vomitory. What categories or genre do these bands fit into (for discussion purposes) - generally - and also perhaps more specific to sub-genre? I'm having a hard time finding the line between Thrash and Death Metal, in particular.

If I described my main taste in 'metal' it's probably Death Thrash! (or, Tech Death and Death Metal, lol) WTF. PS: I'm posting this in the Thrash Help Thread, too.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:22 pm 

Thrash is characterized by the fast choppy riffing. A lot of death metal bands are thrashy, particularly the early bands. I am limited on music theory as I do not play any instruments nor have I studied it much but death metal tends to have a lower tuning than thrash.

Destruction and Sodom are gritty and have some proto-death elements but they are just thrash as there are not enough to call them death/thrash though some people do. Possessed is mostly thrash but they are one of the first bands to really begin stepping into death metal territory and are characterized as death/thrash.

Decapitated I am not that familar with as I never cared for them. They fall into fairly straightforward death metal. Jungle Rot and Hail of Bullets are groovy death metal. Vomitory use a fair bit of groove in their death metal as well but all of those bands are just labeled as death metal.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
You're welcome. There are a lot of bands playing black/thrash and most of those are amongst the best ones.

Yup, if a band plays thrash and has either Witch or Hell in their name, chances are they'll play what you're looking for.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

wreckingcrew1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:17 pm 

Thrashlete wrote:
I'm looking for any bands in the same field as modern Onslaught (Killing Peace, Sounds Of Violence).

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Onslaught/782

Dude. Havok. They aren't exact copies of Onslaught, but I recommend them to everyone. They are definitely in the same field. I absolutely loved Killing Peace, couldn't get into Sounds though. I sound like a broken record with this band, but Havok fucking rules new thrash right now (yes, Vektor is awesome too....)

For christ's sake, listen man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyHzro50MCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVDFkOvqxGs

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:24 pm 

Killing Peace takes influence from modern Exodus so try those albums beginning with Tempo of the Damned.

Sounds of Violence just copies Slayer and Sepultura so try those if you haven't heard them yet.

Also check out Demiricous, Horrorscope, and Vendetta - Hate for for more new bands or releases you may like.

That Havok album is my favorite thrash album of the year so far. Really good stuff.

wreckingcrew1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:32 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Killing Peace takes influence from modern Exodus so try those albums beginning with Tempo of the Damned.

Sounds of Violence just copies Slayer and Sepultura so try those if you haven't heard them yet.

Also check out Demiricous, Horrorscope, and Vendetta - Hate for for more new bands or releases you may like.

That Havok album is my favorite thrash album of the year so far. Really good stuff.

hmmm. I can see a little of Tempo in KP, but not much past Tempo. Dukes kills the newer records with his shitty vocals, so I can't be a good judge, really. Demiricous is an alright band... Not familiar with the other 2, have heard of Vendetta and the only Horrorscope I know is the Overkill record, of course.

On Havok. They have it nailed almost perfectly. I missed when they played here last time, I will absolutely NOT make that mistake again.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:03 am 

Yeah I can agree with Tempo of the Damned being more similar than the other Exodus albums. I can't stand Dukes either and I don't like any releases with him.
Vendetta's Hate is very different from their other stuff. It has much more of a modern metal sound with a groove influence.

Vendetta (Hate album)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty_-HXzXqyY

Horrorscope. Evoking Demons is one of the better groove influenced thrash albums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ER_qUSSdDw

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:25 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Kirvis wrote:

Depending on what period of Voivod you want, try Holocaust (Killing/Hatross-esque), Slogan (Nothingface/Angel Rat-esque), Wartech (Hatross clones), and Doom (who don't sound particularly like any given Voivod album but have a similar weirdness all the same).

EDIT: Calhoun Conquer, too.
Somewhat similar to Doom and Slogan in some ways is Romania's Psycho Symphony, whose album Silent Fall has a similar 'Voivod-esque-but-not' sound to Doom at some points. Psycho Symphony can be a bit interesting, though, because they also have some passages more reminiscent of early Psychotic Waltz, as well as more traditional technical thrash, so it can be a bit rough to get into at first. It's probably not as close to the request as the earlier recommendations, but if you like those it's worth checking out. The first song from their album can be heard here. You may also be interested in the band DBC, who have some quite pronounced similarities with Voivod's general earlier style, and their album Universe.

Otherwise, HamburgerBoy's post seems to have covered things well, as per usual.

Quote:
That's a pretty extensive list. Perhaps it would be worth checking out the female band Ice Age with their 'Instant Justice' demo, which is very solid technical thrash, featuring Debbie Gun from Sentinel Beast. As is perhaps appropriate to the vocalist, they're more on the aggressive, thrashy side of things, although they can still be emotional and such in the meantime. On the more abstract side of things is Aeons End, who also have a female vocalist, but play something which is essentially between progressive metal and techno-thrash, and quite well. They're not afraid to go all-out technothrash at times, but they generally keep to the space between the two genres. The vocalist can be a bit off at times, but generally they're a pretty good band, and definitely worth a listen.

You probably already know about Altered State, which was a band involving Deadly Blessing vocalist Ski, and had some definite technical leanings. Definitely check out Omnitron, who are a pretty strange and dark band, very different from most other bands which could be placed inside the genre. They were also known previously as The Krixhjälters, which is actually what persuaded me to check them out initially. Holland's Usurper is some pretty weird stuff as well, with the closest comparison perhaps being Rosicrucian. Quite emotional, although I still don't think that I've fully grasped that album. You can listen to 'Behind Mandela's Mask' off their album here.

That should be enough for now, and hopefully it helps somewhat. I think that I've already mentioned Sider's Labyrinth elsewhere, so I won't go into that here. I might be doing some reviews on the genre soon, which will probably include a few more bands as well.

In other news, Cryptic Lord's Speak to Defy is very competent on the straightforward thrash front, with a pretty charismatic vocalist up front as well (for example, on 'Inhuman Condition'). They don't do anything particularly complex, but what they do they do well.

Katorevenge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:38 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:

Yup, if a band plays thrash and has either Witch or Hell in their name, chances are they'll play what you're looking for.

It would seem so... A lot of Bestials as well

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 136  Next