Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:25 pm 

? I'm looking for thrash/black metal bands with intelligible vocals. Don't mind it if it's a modern band as long as the drums aren't too loud in the mix.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:40 pm 

Maybe Hellish Crossfire, awesome band : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvaOwcmwc8

also Talamyus, it's Thrash/Death, but fits your ''intelligible vocals'' request. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00eWHhB9W8

Later Darkthrone is quite thrashy at some places, Aura Noir too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheHeresySleep
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 am 

what about testament?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:40 pm 

colin040 wrote:
? I'm looking for thrash/black metal bands with intelligible vocals. Don't mind it if it's a modern band as long as the drums aren't too loud in the mix.

Toxic Holocaust is the obvious one. Also check out the list I made for someone else on the last page of black/thrash. Many of those have intelligible vocals.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:40 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:
Somewhat similar to Doom and Slogan in some ways is Romania's Psycho Symphony, whose album Silent Fall has a similar 'Voivod-esque-but-not' sound to Doom at some points. Psycho Symphony can be a bit interesting, though, because they also have some passages more reminiscent of early Psychotic Waltz, as well as more traditional technical thrash, so it can be a bit rough to get into at first. It's probably not as close to the request as the earlier recommendations, but if you like those it's worth checking out. The first song from their album can be heard here. You may also be interested in the band DBC, who have some quite pronounced similarities with Voivod's general earlier style, and their album Universe.

Psycho Symphony's full length is a pretty difficult listen for me. If it can be described as progressive/technical thrash it has to be at the edge of weirdness, almost kind of like the Atrox of thrash. The song Shadowed With Life actually has some fairly catchy riffage and doesn't have too many tangential moaned doomy sections or sudden bass-dominant instrumental parts, but aside from that one the album has yet to click. Are you familiar with Sore Plexus? There's some common ground between the two I think, but their songs are short enough for me to digest. Their sole full-length is like a seven year time capsule to the days of quirky German progressive/thrash.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:11 am 

I like the 'Atrox of thrash' label, it does seem quite appropriate. Come to think of it, though, Psycho Symphony with Atrox's vocals would probably somehow be even stranger than their current music. To be honest, I'm not sure that I've got their album completely yet either, even though I've given it quite a few listens over time.

When it comes to Sore Plexus, I think that I had found 'Visual Agnosia' at around the same time as Psycho Symphony's album, probably because both were occasionally compared to Psychotic Waltz and I was looking for Waltz-y music at around the time. I need to give their full-length more listens before coming to a conclusion on it, but on VA at least their song length is generally fairly digestible, although they do tend to change things up quite a bit in that length. I do tend to find myself wanting to listen to Psycho Symphony more often, though.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am 

The_Erlking wrote:
I need more technothrash and/or flashy semi-technical thrash. Just recommend me something I haven't heard and I'll do the judging.

DO NOT RECOMMEND ME:

Acid Reign
Anacrusis
Annihilator
Artillery
Aspid
Blind Illusion
Coroner
Cyclone Temple
Deathrow
Defiance
Depressive Age
Doom
Forbidden
Forced Entry
Heathen
Kinetic Dissent
Mekong Delta
Meshuggah
Nasty Savage
Obliveon
Realm
Rosicrucian
Sacrosanct
Secrecy
Sieges Even
Taramis
Toxik
Watchtower
Vektor
Vendetta
Voivod
Wolf Spider

Try:

TEMPLE OF BLOOD - Overlord
OSIRIS - Furitity and Human Depressions
TENSION - Breaking Point
DEADLY BLESSING - Ascend from the Cauldron
ALTERED STATE - demo
TARGET - both albums
IMMACULATE - Atheist Crusade
TOURNIQUET - Stop the Bleeding
DESTRUCTION - Cracked Brain (an underrated/ignored album from their catalog)
INTRUDER - Psycho Savant

chish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 pm 

Does anybody have any recommendations when it comes to raw, somewhat blackened thrash in the vein of Hellish Crossfire and Attacker Bloody Axe? I know of the big Teutonic thrash bands and I'm fairly well acquainted the likes of Sarcofago from Brazil.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:18 pm 

Ketzer, Desaster (though more obvious), Pentagram (Chile), Nifelheim, Death Yell, Holocausto, Chakal (early material), Genocidio, Vulcano, Sauron, Schizo, Bulldozer, early Sepultura.

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 pm 

I've been looking for a particular album for a while, but have so far been unsuccessful, any help would be appreciated. I don't remember the music, band name(99% sure they were neo-thrash), or the album name, all I remember is the cover, which had a skeleton in what looked like a bunker (or some nuclear launch control type room), pressing a big red button. I know that's a pretty vague description, but it's all I remember of it. :/

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 am 

Could anyone recommend me some modern thrash metal bands, that while obvious being influenced by the older legendary bands aren't completely worship stuff and play quality thrash (Vektor) OR do worship the right way? (see Hypnosia)

Production shouldn't be too clean. Don't mind wether stuff sounds melodic, brutal, technical or whatnot.

Akoros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:38 am 

METALLICA OWNZ ALL JOO BEST TRASH METAR EVEAR

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:41 am 

Colin try these.

Tornado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2518hS6GSU

Havok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7pRpnO3Jw4

Essence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouiDc-ogFKc

Cross Examination (crossover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-98o3GlhRs

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some modern thrash metal bands, that while obvious being influenced by the older legendary bands aren't completely worship stuff and play quality thrash (Vektor) OR do worship the right way? (see Hypnosia)

Production shouldn't be too clean. Don't mind wether stuff sounds melodic, brutal, technical or whatnot.

ELIMINATOR - "Breaking the Wheel"
LICH KING - "World Gone Dead"
TEMPLE OF BLOOD - "Overlord" (sorry for the plug, but it seems appropriate here)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 am 

Just thought I would pass on the rumor that there is a new ASPID album in the works for those who love technical thrash. (!!!!!!)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:10 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Just thought I would pass on the rumor that there is a new ASPID album in the works for those who love technical thrash. (!!!!!!)

Source for such mouth-watering rumours?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:23 pm 

androdion wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Source for such mouth-watering rumours?

http://www.thrashunlimited.com/forum/vi ... =2&t=12356

Looks like a new song but maybe no new album?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 pm 

Sounds very good. The vocalist seems to have held up well, as even though I'm not hearing any Extravasation-style venom spitting, he sounds pretty powerful in a rough way, kind of like a lot of Japanese power and thrash metal singers.

NoisyPanther
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 am 

Sorry if this hasn't been addressed yet...I haven't read all 80-some pages and I did a search which turned up nothing of the sort.

What are some good thrash bands to get started with? The only thing I listen to that's close to thrash is Volcano(Jpn), Subhuman(like, one song) and Warbringer. What are some good bands to get started with?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:39 am 

If you like Warbringer then you should check out the band they wish they were... Demolition Hammer.

I'm sure someone will come along and write you a huge fucking list of every thrash album ever but here's a couple of my favorites

Razor "Shotgun Justice" and "Violent Restitution" (Canada's finest thrash export)
Dark Angel "Darkness Descends" (Faaaaaaast. This one is pretty obvious but absolutely essential)

and for new stuff check out
Ramming Speed "Brainwreck"
Cross Examination "Menace II Sobriety"
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Mayhem1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:45 pm 

NoisyPanther wrote:
Sorry if this hasn't been addressed yet...I haven't read all 80-some pages and I did a search which turned up nothing of the sort.

What are some good thrash bands to get started with? The only thing I listen to that's close to thrash is Volcano(Jpn), Subhuman(like, one song) and Warbringer. What are some good bands to get started with?

May i suggest the amazingness of Kreator,Sodom,Destruction,Anthrax,Heathen, and Vektor?

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:25 pm 

Seconding Vektor only because they are so fucking awesome :bow:

Also try these for a similar vein:

Aspid (Rus)
Anacrusis
Imaculate

fux0r666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 pm 

I thrashed so hard to this shit

Sylence - Apocalyptic sacrifice

Good luck ever finding a fucking copy of this on ebay. Last time I checked there wasn't one for months.

May I had my tong out thrashing so hard dude.

fux0r666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:30 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Aspid (Rus)

Yes I second this suggestion it's fucking awesome

fux0r666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:33 pm 

Yo you want some sweet old school thrash?

Assault (Can)

fux0r666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm 

TOXIK

Rustic Existence
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:57 am 

Anybody know any Good thrash bands with Melodic vocals?

NoisyPanther
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:08 am 

Thanks for the suggestions, whoevers' suggestions were aimed at me. I'll be sure to somehow find a way to check out these albums.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 am 

Rustic Existence wrote:

Check out my band TEMPLE OF BLOOD. Links below.

Also check out:
TOXIK - World Circus
FLOTSAM AND JETSAM - Doomsday for the Deceiver, No Place for Disgrace
FORBIDDEN - Forbidden Evil

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 am 

fux0r666 wrote:
TOXIK

Ya know, for as much love as this band gets on here I was really stoked to check them out... boy, was I disappointed.

Rustic Existence
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Rustic Existence wrote:

Check out my band TEMPLE OF BLOOD. Links below.

Also check out:
TOXIK - World Circus
FLOTSAM AND JETSAM - Doomsday for the Deceiver, No Place for Disgrace
FORBIDDEN - Forbidden Evil

Thanks man I'm diggin these bands. You're band is pretty sweet btw what do you play?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:08 am 

Rustic Existence wrote:
Thanks man I'm diggin these bands. You're band is pretty sweet btw what do you play?

Thanks! I sing and write most of the songs. Our new album that is on the way will be MUCH more advanced than our previous stuff and we have some really great players on it. It's going to be a big step forward. Hope you'll check it out.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:02 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
fux0r666 wrote:
TOXIK

Ya know, for as much love as this band gets on here I was really stoked to check them out... boy, was I disappointed.

Care to elaborate that thought?!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm 

fux0r666 wrote:
TOXIK

Make sure you check out both of their albums before you pass judgment. I strongly prefer "World Circus" although "Think This" has its charms at times.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Ya know, for as much love as Toxic gets on here I was really stoked to check them out... boy, was I disappointed.

Make sure you check out both of their albums before you pass judgment. I strongly prefer "World Circus" although "Think This" has its charms at times.

Ah, I only listened to Think This so maybe I'll give World Circus a try.

As far as why I didn't like it... I don't exactly remember (it's been a few months since I checked out Think This) but I just remember being really turned off and not into it. If I remember correctly they're pretty noodly and don't actually do much straight up thrashing. I remember there being some riffs I enjoyed but the vocals were not my thing. I was expecting some technically proficient thrash but their emphasis was way more on the tech and not so much on the thrash which is a deal breaker for me.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm 

Haha, I really don't understand the people who put World Circus above Think This. Think This is a vastly more mature and refined album, with a better vocalist and more engaging songwriting, as well as an awesome concept.

Seriously, just listen to the title track - you have that ugly, mechanical-sounding riff work under Sabin's sort of muted vocal performance in the verse, until he just explodes for the pre-chorus and the entire thing descends into this chaotic storm of sound. It's fucking amazing. No, it's not a collection of simple catchy thrash riffs with pissed-off vocals, but it's not supposed to be, and the album wouldn't work if it were.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:25 pm 

Sabin is a more technically adapt singer, certainly ... and also more generic and boring. Carl Albert is technically a better vocalist than King Diamond but I'd much rather hear KD any day. The vocal melody to "There Stood the Fence", for example, is ultra-generic. The Led Zep cover is a total throw-away. I think he was great on the song "Spontaneous", which is one of the best songs on that album. Some of the progressive parts were very cheesy (possibly in a major key IIRC?). Even Josh Christian agrees that "World Circus" has the stronger songs.

I think the guitar solo on "World Circus" is probably the best solo they ever had. I can't think of many others that were anywhere near as memorable.

I enjoy both albums, but I can definitely see how a new fan wouldn't be blown away by "Think This". Strange muted production, a lot of annoying intros, lack of energy, some cheesy noodling, and a notch down in the songwriting department. It definitely has its moments and I understand why they wanted to go more prog with this album.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:40 pm 

There Stood the Fence is anything but generic. Yes, it's a trad metal power ballad, not a thrash metal track, but the melancholic atmosphere is almost palpable and I can't imagine it ever working with any vocalist other than Sabin. I can't think of any other ballad off the top of my head that impresses such a bleak picture so vividly.

But now that's gone, and I have to wonder
Is it worth the price we pay?
A long-range test has put us under
And made us go away, go away...

Also, I wouldn't call any of the guitar work "noodly" or "cheesy." Technical, sure, and extensive, but it's never unnecessary or forced.

Think This just has this union of theme and execution that World Circus does not - the songwriting and musicianship melds perfectly into the concept, and the entire album functions as a cohesive unit while World Circus felt, at times, disjointed and confused. I'll agree the Led Zeppelin cover is pretty dumb, but that's one out-of-place track on an otherwise genius album.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:53 pm 

If the sound clips help the concept, then that is one reason I find it annoying and preachy. Reminds me of those joke-y thrash songs that may be funny the first time but you never want to hear them again after that. I really dislike the chorus to "Machine Dream" too. To me, Sabin sounds like a talented studio singer who doesn't really care what he is singing about as long as he hits the notes.

Like I said, I enjoy both albums but "Think This" to me contains more filler and less entertainment. It was the right move to go in the prog direction though, I just wish their songwriting had been more concise/focused.

I wonder which album Tad and Brian prefer. I know Tad didn't really care for the high vocals.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:07 pm 

I'm with Oblarg on this one. World Circus is a more direct, more "thrash on" album with a banshee at the front that leaves you floored with its intensity, while Think This is an amazing conceptual album (and yes the samples work very good!) with a much more refined and technical approach. "Technical Arrogance" even has a nod to old Watchtower whom I adore, so it's as Oblarg says, a more mature, refined and technical album. As to which is better, I value both for what they are as they're clearly different. As for what singer is better same thing, different albums/styles/concepts.

Why choose between both in the end?

@ dontlivefastjustdie - Considering all the above writings you might like World Circus better, that is if you're prepared to get a singer that screeches higher than on the first Death Angel record.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 136  Next