Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 pm 

Madsorceror wrote:
You know, the new Death Angel record is pretty fucking rad. Yeah, I know it's not anything like The Ultra-Violence, but who cares. But then, I preferred Act III over that anyway, so that's no surprise.

Why do thrash freaks insist that everything sound pure, with no other musical influences or change whatsoever? I'm just as happy listening to this stuff as a Kreator clone (hello, Avenger of Blood).

Go find Grinder The 1st EP. Now. If you like funk influences in your thrash, the song Reeling on the Edge is going to own you as much as it owned me. But then again the entire EP is just pure fucking genius. It's like a combination of Act III, and Heathen's Victims... maybe with a little Rigor Mortis thrown in.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:54 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
VictimsOfDeception wrote:
Lee doesn't write any Exodus material, and you don't know him. That's not his way of things. He doesn't even like downtuning, but that's how Gary does things. Lee's favorite album of all time is Bonded By Blood and he has been friends with Gary (A total fucking asshole, who does everything at the expense of his friends) for years.

The new Heathen will not have any of that groove bullshit, dude. Simple as that.

Oh c'mon I say one little thing and you get this riled up? I'm not saying that it's for sure, I'm saying that it's a fucking possibility. I'm pretty sure that Heathen will not go 'geigh' on us, but you can't deny the possibility.

Have you not heard the demo?

There is no such possibility of groove bullshit.

It is the same case if Holy Terror manages to reunite to make a new album.

Also when Torture finally releases their new album. These three bands are above the influence of groove.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:34 pm 

There is NO FUCKING WAY Heathen are getting groove influences. The universe will combust if they somehow do. At least I will. Damn, that thought is depressing :(

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:38 pm 

Pretty sure VoD knows Lee and the guys personally. ;)

Amerigo: Whoa, this Torture?

If so, holy shit snapples. Yeah, they're one I could not see going the groove route at all.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:41 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

If so, holy shit snapples. Yeah, they're one I could not see going the groove route at all.

Yeah, I'm sure he was referring to that Torture. I didn't know they reunited... now, what are the members of Morbid Saint doing? Demolition Hammer? Dark Fucking Angel??
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:29 pm 

I talked to the new guy Torture recruited, Nick Nielsen, recently over youtube and he said they were recording new material I think. I therefore asked him whether they were gonna have any groove influence and he denied it and said they were "classic thrash all the way" :hyper:

This is his youtube account if anyone wants to message him...
http://www.youtube.com/user/SWAGshow

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:35 pm 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:
I talked to the new guy Torture recruited, Nick Nielsen, recently over youtube and he said they were recording new material I think. I therefore asked him whether they were gonna have any groove influence and he denied it and said they were "classic thrash all the way" :hyper:

I find it funny that the first band he lists on his favorites is Pantera and then Damageplan :lol:

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:37 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

I find it funny that the first band he lists on his favorites is Pantera and then Damageplan :lol:

As well as In Flames and Children of Bodom...

But he also has Morbid Angel, Slayer, etc. so let's hope he has the idea of "classic thrash" right.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Last edited by Kruel on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:37 pm 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Haha, videogame reviews ... I like him.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:40 pm 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Onslaught promised no groove. This is a regular occurance with reunited thrash bands. Though hopefully Torture won't do the same though I would not put money on it.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:43 pm 

Visionary wrote:
Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Onslaught promised no groove.

Haha ... I listened to that again recently (their newest release), ugh. What the hell is up with all these thrash bands throwing in lame vocal effects nowadays? It's atrocious.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:55 pm 

By the way, since nobody ever talks about them ... Destructor is hands down easily one of the best "comeback" thrash bands out there ... seriously, go listen to Forever In Leather and let it destroy you. Absolutely no bullshit on this one and even their earlier 2000 releases (Sonic Bullet) are awesome.

Also get Maximum Destruction if you've never heard it, or I'll throw diarrhea at your window. :metal:

http://www.myspace.com/maximumdestructor
(Skull Splitter. And Storm Of Storm fucking slays, but the original version off the 87' demo is superior)

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:01 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:
Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

As well as In Flames and Children of Bodom...

But he also has Morbid Angel, Slayer, etc. so let's hope he has the idea of "classic thrash" right.

See bold. Tom Hicks knows classic thrash right. They have Infernal fucking Majesty as one of their influences.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:45 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
Lee doesn't write any Exodus material, and you don't know him. That's not his way of things. He doesn't even like downtuning, but that's how Gary does things. Lee's favorite album of all time is Bonded By Blood and he has been friends with Gary (A total fucking asshole, who does everything at the expense of his friends) for years.

The new Heathen will not have any of that groove bullshit, dude. Simple as that.

Oh c'mon I say one little thing and you get this riled up? I'm not saying that it's for sure, I'm saying that it's a fucking possibility. I'm pretty sure that Heathen will not go 'geigh' on us, but you can't deny the possibility.

Who says I'm riled up? You? You said one little blasphemous thing. I know Lee, and I've had this conversation with him many times before, dating back to 2005.

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:12 am 

Visionary wrote:
Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:

Onslaught promised no groove. This is a regular occurance with reunited thrash bands. Though hopefully Torture won't do the same though I would not put money on it.

Apart from Onslaught I don't really know of any other bands that promised they wouldn't be groove and lied but yeah I'm not completely convinced they'll be classic sounding.

Last edited by Remnants_Of_Gore on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:25 am 

I love thrash but never heard any late 90's thrash album so i dont know what "groove" means, any examples or songs i could listen to get an idea of what groove is?

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 am 

metroplex wrote:
I love thrash but never heard any late 90's thrash album so i dont know what "groove" means, any examples or songs i could listen to get an idea of what groove is?

Pantera are groove, dude. Complete faggotry, they are.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:28 am 

metroplex wrote:

For all out groove, see Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power". For examples of an actual thrash band playing grooveish stuff check out late era Overkill. Or you could choose to spare your ears, as you've honestly been lucky to make it this far without hearing this garbage.

Depths_of_Depravity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:44 am 

Could anyone rec. me some good Crossover bands? I'm looking for some heavy thrash/crossover. Bands related to D.R.I., Suicidal Tendencies, and S.O.D. are acceptable

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:46 am 

Depths_of_Depravity wrote:
Could anyone rec. me some good Crossover bands? I'm looking for some heavy thrash/crossover. Bands related to D.R.I., Suicidal Tendencies, and S.O.D. are acceptable

Check out Cryptic Slaughter, Wehrmacht and Carnivore.

Depths_of_Depravity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:48 am 

Kruel wrote:

Cryptic Slaughter are good, and Carnivore.
I'll check out Wehrmacht though, thanks.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:57 am 

Kruel wrote:

Wehrmacht are indeed fucking amazing. Especially the debut, pure speedy goodness. I'd also suggest looking into Cro-Mags, (early) English Dogs, Ludichrist, Crumbsuckers, Fearless Iranians from Hell, and (early) Ratos de Porao.

For some more recent Crossover I'd look into Short Sharp Shock, their debut is fairly solid, with great bassy production.

Depths_of_Depravity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Wehrmacht are indeed fucking amazing. Especially the debut, pure speedy goodness. I'd also suggest looking into Cro-Mags, (early) English Dogs, Ludichrist, Crumbsuckers, Fearless Iranians from Hell, and (early) Ratos de Porao.

For some more recent Crossover I'd look into Short Sharp Shock, their debut is fairly solid, with great bassy production.

Cro-Mags and Crumbsuckers are excellent. I love crossover bands with good bass in the production, I'll check that band out

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:29 am 

I mentioned it earlier but...are there any thrash metal bands that incorporate folk elements?

Xeogred suggested maybe early Skyclad (thanks, btw), but does anyone know any others?

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
DGYDP wrote:
All of you people stop whatever you're doing and listen to Satan - Trial by Fire (yeah yeah, I know it's not thrash). Particularly to the riff at 0.16. The riff intrigues me quite a bit, I'm looking for more information ...
You know about Pariah...right?

Yeah, I sort of forgot about them. So apparently Satan were the first ever band to use this type of riffs in heavy metal?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:45 am 

Highly, highly doubting that right there.

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:12 am 

hey, can anyone recommend something along the lines of slayer, anthrax, or EARLY metallica?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:16 am 

motorhead92 wrote:
hey, can anyone recommend something along the lines of slayer, anthrax, or EARLY metallica?

They all sound quite different. We need more description.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:19 am 

motorhead92 wrote:

None of those bands are that similar, other than being thrash pioneers. You'd probably be best to do some more research on your own until you can make a more narrow request. Search the archives for thrash releases that came out from 83-89 and study up. You can also look up "thrash metal" on wikipedia and get a decent starting list of bands to work with.

edit: I can't fucking sleep so I did some of the legwork for you. Read this stuff and you should have a decent list of bands to check out. Remember that everything on Wikipedia isn't fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_thrash_metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Area_thrash_metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_thrash_metal

I don't know why there isn't a decent write up for east coast thrash but fuck it, just get the early releases from Overkill and Whiplash.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:31 am 

Amerigo wrote:
Have you not heard the demo?

It has been three years since that demo, A LOT can happen in three years. Joining Exodus, for example.

Who says I'm riled up? You? You said one little blasphemous thing. I know Lee, and I've had this conversation with him many times before, dating back to 2005.

:lol: I'm known for my blasphemies so it's best to take me lightly, VERY lightly. I do believe that you know Lee and pals, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, I'll probably buy their album anyway. Surely it'll be the best thrash release in recent memory? Yay? Nay?

Sidenote: Why did Lee join Exodus anyway? It just takes him away from his much better band.
we sail across the sea!

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:22 am 

The Spudmonsters - Stop the Madness, maybe?
Mix of Thrash and Hardcore, crazy vocalist that kinda reminds me of Vio-lence.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:35 am 

I'm going to throw up a pretty random question here now myself, any other thrash bands quite like Detente? Well specifically, I really can't get enough of the way Dawn's vocals come out ... in most of the tracks it seems like her voice soars down some huge cavern or something, echoing away. Uh, I dunno how to really explain it:

http://www.myspace.com/detenterna

Give at least "Holy Wars" a listen or whatnot, maybe that'll illustrate what I'm interested in. "Losers" has some of this towards the middle too.

Not thrash, but it kind of reminds me of Glen May's singing on Tyrant's "Too Late To Pray" a bit. Pretty random, but yeah ...

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:38 am 

Look at the line-up. What do you notice? Yes, many of Detente's members are in Fear of God. The logical choice is? Click it.

Fear of God sounds very unique, and with the same female vocals as Detente. Well, those two are the only ones that sound like each other, as far as I know.

levasty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 am 

Any Melodic or Groovy Thrash bands like Annihilator?

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:49 am 

levasty wrote:
Any Melodic or Groovy Thrash bands like Annihilator?

Most of modern thrash sound like this, pick up Death Angel's latest or Exodus's Tempo of the Damned.
we sail across the sea!

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 pm 

For melodic thrash:

Visionary wrote:
Megadeth - Rust in Peace (Number 1 in the Thrash metal album survey thread)
Artillery - Fear of Tommorow (Vocals not as high pitched as By Inheritance, though the production is a tad rawer but I would still say somewhat melodic)
Mastery - Lethal Legacy (modern instrumental thrash)
Annihilator - Alice in Hell (melodic and technical)
Vendetta - Brain Damage (Not sure if melodic is the right word but it is very cean sounding and quite influenced by NWOBHM with riffs that are quite different in style from other thrash. Some good ballads here to)
Deliverance - Deliverance (Bay area sounding christian thrash)
Gama Bomb - Survival of the Fastest (new band with modern production but done well . Sounds like Nuclear Assault meets Agent Steel.
Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction (Not to far off Ride the Lightning era Metallica)
Ultimatum - Into the Pit (Quite progressive Christian thrash with a very heavy metal sound and even includes an excellent Maiden cover)

I'll add Hexen to the list.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:05 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure he was referring to that Torture. I didn't know they reunited... now, what are the members of Morbid Saint doing? Demolition Hammer? Dark Fucking Angel??

Dark Angel isn't returning. Don Doty is a family man now with an established career. Ron was told by doctor that if he wishes to walk for the rest of his life, he needs not sing anymore. He had a condition with his spine that ended up in this situation.

And none of the members of Morbid Saint ever did anything with any other metal band, so they aren't returning ever.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:16 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
And none of the members of Morbid Saint ever did anything with any other metal band, so they aren't returning ever.

Ugggghhh. I bet those guys have awful, monotonous desk jobs just like me. Picturing the people who wrote "Assassin" filling out mindless reports and reading mundane memos in some random office with dull, soul-sapping lighting makes me sick to my fucking stomach.

edit: Er, what is this Hallowcore business on the Morbid Saint page? I don't remember seeing this. The only thing a google search turns up are various comments about how bad it is. Anyone know where I can hear some samples?

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Dark Angel isn't returning. Don Doty is a family man now with an established career. Ron was told by doctor that if he wishes to walk for the rest of his life, he needs not sing anymore. He had a condition with his spine that ended up in this situation.

I didn't know that, that's quite sad ... I also remember reading that the bassist of Morbid Saint is now repairing pc's. How fucked up is that? These people really deserved more back then.

rexxz wrote:
Highly, highly doubting that right there.

Do you know of any other bands that used it before Satan, I'm dying to hear them.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:52 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Ugggghhh. I bet those guys have awful, monotonous desk jobs just like me. Picturing the people who wrote "Assassin" filling out mindless reports and reading mundane memos in some random office with dull, soul-sapping lighting makes me sick to my fucking stomach.

edit: Er, what is this Hallowcore business on the Morbid Saint page? I don't remember seeing this. The only thing a google search turns up are various comments about how bad it is. Anyone know where I can hear some samples?

www.morbidsaint.info

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 136  Next