Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrAshleigh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:28 am 

Sabbat's History of a time to come has to be one of my favourite (thrash) albums of all time.
Can anyone suggest something in a similar vein?

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:10 am 

DarkenedOne wrote:
I definitely recommend Deliverance (USA). The best metal band I've heard in a while; in the veins of Metallica, Kreator, Sodom, Exodus, Testament and the likes.

Love that band!

As for the above poster tell us what you like about Sabbat so much it should help.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

thrAshleigh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:56 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:

As for the above poster tell us what you like about Sabbat so much it should help.

Damn, it was really hard to not just say 'everything'

I really like the atmosphere of the whole album, kinda dark..
I like the vocals
And I like how they aren't afraid to play slow.. and I like the tempo changes mid song..
I just love it in general ... I can't say I'm fond of the band's other releases though.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:27 am 

I agree it is their best album. I haven't listened to it in a while the only thing off the top of my head would be Invocator's Excursion Demise, has some of the traits you mentioned. Sabbat is pretty popular around here i bet some more people will recommend other stuff when they start getting out of bed.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

thrAshleigh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 am 

Thanks! Great album ( so far) a bit more uptempo and for lack of a better word 'thrashier' than Sabbat.
But another one to add to the collection for sure .

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:18 pm 

I've got two recommendations for you, in regards to Sabbat. History of a Time to Come is one of my all-time favorite records, from any genre or subgenre. They just owned that album, with one perfect riff after another, and incredible subject matter/lyrics on the songs.

First of all, have you ever listened to Hell (UK)? Their leader/guitarist Dave Halliday taught Sneap (Sabbat) how to play guitar, and there ARE some similarities in the quirkiness. Obviously, as a nwobhm band, Hell aren't super thrashy. But they are incredible at writing quirky, evil heavy metal music. I personally would strongly recommend skipping their modern releases, and going straight for the demos from the 80s.

Secondly, I'd strongly recommend checking out the album Pagan Reality by Bifrost. They are blatantly influenced by Sabbat, although it's no where near a cloning attempt. I also think they exhibit similarities to Mortuary Drape, who is another of my favorite bands.

There's nothing that sounds like Sabbat, but I think if you give these two a chance you'll hear where I'm coming from. It's there spiritually. Plus, those Hell demos are some of the greatest heavy metal ever committed to tape.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:58 pm 

Cookiemonster16 wrote:
The only good modern Thrash Metal band that is brutal and originals is Nucleartor.

Anywhere I can check this out? Can't find anything online.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 am 

lucifersfriend wrote:
I am looking for some slower to mid-tempo thrash.

Asphyxia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1UO7xrBZOg

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:36 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Cookiemonster16 wrote:
The only good modern Thrash Metal band that is brutal and originals is Nucleartor.

Anywhere I can check this out? Can't find anything online.

I think they meant Nucleator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fbsk4PzYgI

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 pm 

That was fucking terrible and sounded nothing like any of the bands I posted or referenced. Shouldn't be surprised with that username. Maybe you should have just let me never know what he meant haha.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:44 pm 

That was fucking terrible and sounded nothing like any of the bands I posted or referenced. Shouldn't be surprised with that username. Maybe you should have just let me never know what he meant haha.

Well, you might like this band, somewhat similar to Demolition Hammer.

Deathraiser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcSXKpz6tEs

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:40 pm 

Calm down I was just trying to help you. What did you not like about nucleator?
The three links you posted are all different styles, Ressurection is pure Death, Solstice is Death/Thrash and Demolition Hammer is Thrash.
I am assuming you are referring to the Texas Devastation in your original post?
The Chicago one leans more towards Death well the Texas is pure Thrash.

How about this?

Some primitive Death/Thrash?

Probably one of the most Primitive and Raw Thrash Metal Demos ever

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:29 am 

That Deranged (CAN) is some mean, mean stuff. Almost verging on early death metal. :thumbsup:

Never heard Devastation before, but they sound pretty killer. And of course Poison (DEU) and IM kick ass - too bad their releases are so rare/expensive.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:02 am 

Any of you guys get round to checking out Pripjat yet? This is pretty killer stuff. I dont listen to as much thrash as I used to but these guys really attracted my attention. Strong old school Slayer vibe as well as others and for bonus points as per their name the lyrics and theme are all about Chernobyl. Check out the title track below, music kicks in after a minute or two.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:15 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
That Deranged (CAN) is some mean, mean stuff. Almost verging on early death metal. :thumbsup:

Never heard Devastation before, but they sound pretty killer. And of course Poison (DEU) and IM kick ass - too bad their releases are so rare/expensive.

If you like Poison, you should check out R.U.Dead?. It formed with some of the members for Poison after they broke up.

Leviation is another good Primitive Thrash group

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:17 pm 

Cookiemonster16 wrote:

Calm down I was just trying to help you. What did you not like about nucleator?

Haha sorry dude, that was an admittedly harsh response. Nucleator just came off really typical and I was hoping for something cool since I was unfamiliar. Fast but not fast enough, boring military theme, typical 'harsh' vocals, just kinda thrash by the numbers and not at all what I was looking for.

Was already familiar with those except for Devastation from Chicago but they were pretty cool, definitely got up to the speed I was looking for, though still not quite the overall vibe I'm looking for.

I'm also familiar with Deathraiser who are def fast enough but they don't have the punishing groovy parts in there that DH and Solstice have. I'm not really looking for primitive and raw so much as calculatedly punishing and fast.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:32 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Pripjat

This wasn't quite my cup of tea, though that triplet riff in the beginning is a ripper for sure. Reminds me of a local group my band shares a drummer with, Death of Kings, who you might dig.

http://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/knifehammer-7

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:16 am 

I want some thrash that's mid tempo,with a tough guy attitude,with breaks,and sounding like the new york death metal scene...but in thrash.
Lack of solos is a + but not necessary.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 am 

STORMM wrote:
Pripjat

This wasn't quite my cup of tea, though that triplet riff in the beginning is a ripper for sure. Reminds me of a local group my band shares a drummer with, Death of Kings, who you might dig.

http://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/knifehammer-7

Thanks I will check this out.

Amrator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:19 pm 

I'm looking for newer non-crossover thrash bands with thick/heavy guitar sound and aggressive vocals. So bands like Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, early Sepultura, post-Persecution Mania Sodom, etc. but newer. I already know Warbringer, so maybe bands that are lesser known. Thanks!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:25 pm 

Amrator wrote:
I'm looking for newer non-crossover thrash bands with thick/heavy guitar sound and aggressive vocals. So bands like Demolition Hammer, Exhorder, early Sepultura, post-Persecution Mania Sodom, etc. but newer. I already know Warbringer, so maybe bands that are lesser known. Thanks!

Check out these bands, non wimpy and non crossover thrash!
-Cruel Force (black/thrash)
-Antichrist (thrash)
-Nekromantheon (thrash)
-Deathhammer (thrash)
-Aura Noir (black/thrash)
-Hellish Crossfire (thrash)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:18 pm 

Amrator wrote:

Guillotine's album from 2008 'Blood Money' was largely overlooked but it was pretty raging. Worth a listen as far as newer thrash goes. Their album from '97 'Under the Guillotine' is good too but it's a totally different style of thrash.

You'd probably dig Condition Critical

Give Sadistic Ritual a shot too.
http://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ercenary-7

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:36 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Amrator wrote:

Check out these bands, non wimpy and non crossover thrash!
-Cruel Force (black/thrash)
-Antichrist (thrash)
-Nekromantheon (thrash)
-Deathhammer (thrash)
-Aura Noir (black/thrash)
-Hellish Crossfire (thrash)

Nice picks, and I would also add Nocturnal Witch (who, like Cruel Force, hail from Germany). They have a bit more of the old Brazilian sound (Sarcofago, Vulcano, etc. etc.) but overall are probably one of the best "retro" bands I've heard in quite a while. Give 'em a listen.

Amrator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:16 pm 

Thanks guys! These bands will keep me good for a while.

Also, I recently just found this band, for anyone into really heavy thrash:

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:38 pm 

Zanzir wrote:
I want some thrash that's mid tempo,with a tough guy attitude,with breaks,and sounding like the new york death metal scene...but in thrash.
Lack of solos is a + but not necessary.

guys?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:49 am 

Take Offense. Power Trip. That's all that comes to mind for hardcore-centric thrash.

TheCryptologist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:16 pm 

I'm trying to dig deeper into thrash. The only bands I listen to are Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament (old school), Lazarus A.D., Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch, and some Havok (new school). I'm looking for some old 80s thrash thats I guess "stereotypical" to the genre. Aggressive, heavy and downtuned, and preferably with screams or yelled vocals, although I do like melodic singing as well. Any recommendations?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:06 am 

The most glaring omissions from your list are the German "big 3" - Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction. Kreator-wise, I would suggest starting with their 'Extreme Aggression'/'Coma of Souls' period, since it's a little more accessible than their proto-death/black earlier stuff. Sodom's 'Persecution Mania' and 'Agent Orange' are near-unanimously considered classics of the genre, so check those out as well. As for Destruction, anything up through 'Release From Agony' would probably do nicely.

Some more obscure suggestions would be Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint, though they do lean a bit toward (early) death metal especially production-wise, but they certainly satisfy all of your criteria. On the more melodic speed/thrash end of the spectrum, I'd recommend Hallows Eve, though the vocals may take a bit of getting used to.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:21 am 

TheCryptologist wrote:
I'm trying to dig deeper into thrash. The only bands I listen to are Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament (old school), Lazarus A.D., Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch, and some Havok (new school). I'm looking for some old 80s thrash thats I guess "stereotypical" to the genre. Aggressive, heavy and downtuned, and preferably with screams or yelled vocals, although I do like melodic singing as well. Any recommendations?

Sepultura - Arise
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Overkill - Horrorscope
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
Atrophy - Violent By Nature
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Vendetta - Brain Damage
Realm - Endless War
Sacred Reich - Ignorance
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican (I hesitated to throw this one in because it isn't "stereotypical", but it is one of the most influential albums coming out of that period)
Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence (Same with this one)

If you want newer bands that sound like some of the ones you already listen to:
Suicidal Angels - Bloodbath (Slayer)
4Arm - Submission For Liberty (early Metallica)
Evile - Skull (Metallica)
Korzus - Discipline of Hate (Slayer, scattered in various songs)
Demiricous (Slayer)

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:05 pm 

^Warbringer is perfect for what you're looking for. They could fit right in with the big 4 imo. Check out their War Without End album first.

Older bands not mentioned yet:
Vio-Lence
Solstice
Infernal Majesty
Deathrow
Sodom
Despair
Razor
Defiance
Pestilence
Nuclear Assault
Xentrix
Acid Reign
Mortal Sin
Obliveon

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 pm 

TheCryptologist wrote:
Aggressive, heavy and downtuned, and preferably with screams or yelled vocals, although I do like melodic singing as well.

Good stuff mentioned so far.

Both of Demolition Hammers albums are worth a listen. (Ignore Time Bomb which wasn't even supposed to be released under that band name). Epidemic of Violence is heavier than Tortured Existence and I prefer it with it being my favorite brutal thrash album but both albums are excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyYCRvqtkCI

Seconding Atrophy. They tend to be a little more down-tuned than a lot of bands and sounds Slayer influenced with their crunchy riffs. Violent by Nature and Socialized Hate are both very good,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGzk3TdsK8Q

Seconding Exhorder. Slaughter in the Vatican is one of the heaviest thrash albums from this time period and you should really check it out. The Law is good too though is more groove oriented, but one of the only groove albums I really like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTTARyt7SoI

Infernal Majesty as mentioned is another fine example. None Shall Defy is very heavy and a very good album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbs_q7K0CI

Funeral Nation is one that hasn't been mentioned that is a little more obscure. Think Slayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ePc3UaV40

Evil Dead is another American band you should check out. They are pretty heavy and have pretty clean vocals at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPw9JfBgLUk

Sacrifice isn't as downtuned perhaps as what you are looking for, but I highly recommend Forward to Termination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjssGS-d9M

Artillery is a pretty big name in thrash and they became more melodic and technical later in their career. Their first 2 albums sound more along the lines of your description. I'd start with Terror Squad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzuSCj_bLZ4

Intruder. More very fine thrash, though not as heavy as most of the others I mentioned but they still have some heavy riffing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUB2LEv90qw

If you want something a little dirtier but heavy then check out Num Skull. More German influenced. Ritually Abused is an excellent album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR8neFpkV_o

Morbid Saint as already mentioned is an excellent, relentless thrash album. Nice combination of bay area melodic riffing with the razor sharp German brutality. This should be towards the top of your list to check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14btYfUBpoI

Agressor. Neverending Destiny is a little more obscure but it is a very fast and relentless thrash album. Almost death/thrash. Sounds very Slayer influenced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkp4CeemCLU

Rigor Mortis. Texas had a very good scene with numerous good bands you should check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktbPhGpfryA

Devastation. Both the Chicago and Texan one are worth looking into. The one from Texas is more well known and very heavy sounding not too far off of Exhorder. Kind of surprised this one wasn't mentioned yet. Another one that should be close to the top of your list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yvR94gkdA

Gammacide is another Texan one. Pretty heavy riffing. Another one you should really check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bovQXFJNNKY

Torture is the last one from Texas I will mention. Storm Alert can be a little long-winded in some songs but still some excellent stuff on it like Ignominious Slaughter, Terror Kingdom and Slay Ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JAkYQOL6E

Assorted Heap is another pretty heavy one without moving into death metal territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67bfUsn_27Y

Sepultura I will second. One of the biggest names in thrash, although you may want to ignore their later period. Beneath the Remains and Arise are the albums you probably want to start with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLvnqKOtJaw

Attomica is some solid Sepultura worship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBVLYunMKbM

A.R.G. is another one you should really check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9mPatu0M4

Last one I will mention is Archaic Torse. Just heavy thrash, though nothing mindblowing. Still worth a listen and fits your criteria well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAXBuw6v48

Thrashbag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:09 pm 

Hi. I'm looking for raw old-school thrash metal with catchy riffs. Like, I don't know, a much faster version of Battalions of Fear with harsh vocals and raw production. Imagine 80s Blind Guardian having a baby with Morbid Saint and Hellhammer. :-P Any ideas?

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:26 pm 

Thrashbag wrote:
Hi. I'm looking for raw old-school thrash metal with catchy riffs. Like, I don't know, a much faster version of Battalions of Fear with harsh vocals and raw production. Imagine 80s Blind Guardian having a baby with Morbid Saint and Hellhammer. :-P Any ideas?

Check this out!

Ulysses Siren - Above the Ashes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3vPZ0zeGQ

Thrashbag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 pm 

Umbersun wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3vPZ0zeGQ

Thanks! That was awesome! :headbang:

warlordoscar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:11 pm 

this band is very good, i recomend, is from Croatia https://www.facebook.com/VortexOsijek?fref=ts

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:05 pm 

bands like Insanity Alert. 15 songs in 30 minutes. So full speed ahead, compared to the short songs from Nuclear assault. Basically: Crossover/ Thrash but short bursts of energy.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:09 pm 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
bands like Insanity Alert. 15 songs in 30 minutes. So full speed ahead, compared to the short songs from Nuclear assault. Basically: Crossover/ Thrash but short bursts of energy.

Are you familiar with Evil Army?

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:41 pm 

androdion wrote:
OlderBudweiser wrote:

Thanks, nice rec. More are Always welcome.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:36 pm 

I'd recommend SSS as well, but they're probably too standard to be recommended to anyone. :lol:

Crossover isn't really my turf but from the top of my head do try Wehrmacht's both albums. I assume you're already familiar with D.R.I. though, but if not jump on it. ;)

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
androdion wrote:

Thanks, nice rec. More are Always welcome.

Stormtroopers of Death (SOD)
Municipal Waste
Gama Bomb
Iron Reagan

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 136  Next