Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zatorys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 am 

very good thanx

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:28 am 

mgjerv wrote:
So, I recently discovered Keep of Kalessin. I'm loving their style on Kolossus and Armada. If anyone could point me in the direction of quality music like that, I'd be grateful. I'm not really a black metal fan, but KoK's style really did it for me. Basically, I only really enjoy two bands of the sort, that being Enslaved and Keep of Kalessin. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I don't like Kolossus personally but Armada remains a great album. It kind of goes on on their previous album but I think you have to listen to BM for awhile to appreciate this more raw form and hear it.

Anyways I'd start with albums like:
Watain - Sworn to the dark
Immortal - At The Heart of Winter
Immortal - Damned in Black
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Negator - Die Eisernen Verse
Negator - Old Black
Naglfar - Pariah
Old Man's Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion
Old Man's Child - Vermin
Satyricon - Now Diabolical
Ajattara - Äpäre
Craft - Fuck The Universe

mgjerv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 am 

Crypt666 wrote:
mgjerv wrote:
So, I recently discovered Keep of Kalessin. I'm loving their style on Kolossus and Armada. If anyone could point me in the direction of quality music like that, I'd be grateful. I'm not really a black metal fan, but KoK's style really did it for me. Basically, I only really enjoy two bands of the sort, that being Enslaved and Keep of Kalessin. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I don't like Kolossus personally but Armada remains a great album. It kind of goes on on their previous album but I think you have to listen to BM for awhile to appreciate this more raw form and hear it.

Negator - Old Black
Naglfar - Pariah
Old Man's Child - Vermin
Ajattara - Äpäre

Thanks for the list, man. I'll be sure to check those albums out, hopefully they'll all be on Spotify *grin*. It always takes a while for me to get into bands, genres or whatever though, so I'll try to be patient when giving them a listen! Even getting into death metal took a while. I had to repeatedtly listen to Bloodbath for ages before I could step further :P.

What appeals to me with KoK though is the clear production, and the rather unique vocals. To me, they don't even sound remotely like the typical black metal shrieks.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:12 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Wow, Lunar Poetry is very highly rated on it's review section. A straight flush of one hundred percents. I have heard some of their other stuff here and there and did not dig it at all but have not heard anything from Lunar.

Certainly not worth 100%, but nonetheless this is a pretty killer demo. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like their post-Goat Horns material. The keys are just majestic, and you'd want to wander in those landscapes any of the several covers depict.

MetalDave42
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:51 pm 

Named wrote:
MetalDave42 wrote:
@NAMED

check out Unhold, he the vocalist/one man behind the band Luror and a few other projects I've yet to check out. His vocals are quite distant and slightly insane on the "The Iron Hand of Blackest Terror" album and particularly on the song "Smoke and Stardust". You can still find that song on his myspace the last time I checked.

And unless you have something against christian black metal, check out Evroklidon's full length, "The Flames of Sodom". They are actually a decent black metal project overall and the vocalist sounds rather demented.

I was responding to Joeltl1349's request, so that should be aimed at him.

If anybody wants to help me find more black metal like Lutomysl or Mgla though I'd be greatly appreciative.

dammit, I miss the the subtle, bracketed quotes at the end of responses sometimes and post to the wrong person. My bad, I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 pm 

mgjerv wrote:
Crypt666 wrote:
mgjerv wrote:

Negator - Old Black
Naglfar - Pariah
Old Man's Child - Vermin
Ajattara - Äpäre

Thanks for the list, man. I'll be sure to check those albums out, hopefully they'll all be on Spotify *grin*. It always takes a while for me to get into bands, genres or whatever though, so I'll try to be patient when giving them a listen! Even getting into death metal took a while. I had to repeatedtly listen to Bloodbath for ages before I could step further :P.

What appeals to me with KoK though is the clear production, and the rather unique vocals. To me, they don't even sound remotely like the typical black metal shrieks.

Shrieks aren't typical for black metal, it's called deppressive black metal and if you ask me it isn't black metal at all. I hope you'll enjoy some of it! It took me a long time to get into black metal as well!

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:20 am 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
What are some good depressive black metal bands to start with? I'm looking to explore this sub-genre.

Gris (as mentioned) Sombres Forets, Coldworld, Lifelover, Hypothermia, Wedard, Anti, Nykalgia....

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 am 

LunarisCZE wrote:
Pretty good Bathory worship would be Morrigan from Germany, particularly the album Celts. The pagan era of Bathory.

I know them but that's not really what I'm looking for now.

Ohtar_Elenion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:00 am 

Crypt666 wrote:

Shrieks aren't typical for black metal, it's called deppressive black metal and if you ask me it isn't black metal at all. I hope you'll enjoy some of it! It took me a long time to get into black metal as well!

Are you kidding me? Shrieking (high-pitched harsh vocals if you will) is predominant vocal style in black metal. Depressive black metal probably sometimes cares less about vocal quality, but that does not differentiate DSMB vocals as separate entity from typical black vocals called shrieks.

saxty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:15 pm 

This will probably be a strange request as I am rather new to Black Metal, and am not a big fan of most the of classics and the bands mentioned in this thread a lot.

Looking for fast, agressive stuff with clean, modern production. (like Anaal Nathrakh), but with some of the symphonic influence seen in Blut Aus Nord's latest, and I hate to say it but, later Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir.

I am also a big fan of catchy Black/Death metal like Necrophobic and Melechesh, so any reccs like this would also be appreciated. Good production is a must.

MetalDave42
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:05 pm 

saxty wrote:
This will probably be a strange request as I am rather new to Black Metal, and am not a big fan of most the of classics and the bands mentioned in this thread a lot.

Looking for fast, agressive stuff with clean, modern production. (like Anaal Nathrakh), but with some of the symphonic influence seen in Blut Aus Nord's latest, and I hate to say it but, later Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir.

I am also a big fan of catchy Black/Death metal like Necrophobic and Melechesh, so any reccs like this would also be appreciated. Good production is a must.

Dreamscapes of the Perverse. I actually wrote a review for their debut. While the writing may be a bit amateurish, you'll get the just of its sound from it if you are interested.

I would also recommend Vesania, a great symphonic/melodic black metal band from Poland.

Try Luna Ad Noctum's latest "The Perfect Evil In Mortal", they play symphonic laden, melodic black metal that exhibits crisp & clear production.

Crimson Moonlight are a Christian-oriented black metal band, but don't let that deter you from checking them out. Their most recent album "Veil of Rememberance" is really spectacular, and while the production is good, it is not as glossed up as Dimmu Borgir and the like.

An obligatory rec. would also be Catamenia. Specifically, their later albums "Location:Cold" and "Winternight Tragedies" fulfill your request.

Lastly, Immortal's latest "All Shall Fall" is very well produced and while not their best release, may interest you well enough as it exhibits a fair share of melody. In addition to ASF, I think you would be pleased with the previous "Sons of Northern Darkness".

enjoy

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:05 pm 

STORMM wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
Wow, Lunar Poetry is very highly rated on it's review section. A straight flush of one hundred percents. I have heard some of their other stuff here and there and did not dig it at all but have not heard anything from Lunar.

My favourite NM release, and well worth a listen and a lot better than their other releases, you will not go wrong with this one.

I've now heard it. A very good effort from a band that I previously was less than impressed with on other albums. I would say it's decent but far from great and it's nothing that Emperor in their early days haven't done much, much better.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saxty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:10 pm 

MetalDave42 wrote:
saxty wrote:

Dreamscapes of the Perverse. I actually wrote a review for their debut. While the writing may be a bit amateurish, you'll get the just of its sound from it if you are interested.

I would also recommend Vesania, a great symphonic/melodic black metal band from Poland.

Try Luna Ad Noctum's latest "The Perfect Evil In Mortal", they play symphonic laden, melodic black metal that exhibits crisp & clear production.

Crimson Moonlight are a Christian-oriented black metal band, but don't let that deter you from checking them out. Their most recent album "Veil of Rememberance" is really spectacular, and while the production is good, it is not as glossed up as Dimmu Borgir and the like.

An obligatory rec. would also be Catamenia. Specifically, their later albums "Location:Cold" and "Winternight Tragedies" fulfill your request.

Lastly, Immortal's latest "All Shall Fall" is very well produced and while not their best release, may interest you well enough as it exhibits a fair share of melody. In addition to ASF, I think you would be pleased with the previous "Sons of Northern Darkness".

enjoy

This is SUCH a helpful post, thank you. I actually love all the reccomendations and they're exactly what i'm looking for (normally I only like 1 or 2 reccs people give).

At first listen, Dreamscapes of the Perverse is my favourite, and I love the range of vocals on Crimson Moonlight. Obviously i'd already heard of Immortal, but did NOT know they had a new one out. Should have put them in my original post actually, as another example of what I was looking for. Thanks very much!

MetalDave42
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:44 pm 

saxty wrote:
MetalDave42 wrote:
saxty wrote:

enjoy

This is SUCH a helpful post, thank you. I actually love all the reccomendations and they're exactly what i'm looking for (normally I only like 1 or 2 reccs people give).

At first listen, Dreamscapes of the Perverse is my favourite, and I love the range of vocals on Crimson Moonlight. Obviously i'd already heard of Immortal, but did NOT know they had a new one out. Should have put them in my original post actually, as another example of what I was looking for. Thanks very much!

glad I could help. Hopefully, this additional band you'll like as well.

Vesperian Sorrow from Texas. Their most recent "Regenesis Creation" is a symphonic black metal masterpiece. They have some fairly long songs however, most over 5 minutes. If you can tolerate longer songs, then you will love these guys.

saxty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:34 pm 

MetalDave42 wrote:
saxty wrote:
MetalDave42 wrote:
saxty wrote:

enjoy

glad I could help. Hopefully, this additional band you'll like as well.

Vesperian Sorrow from Texas. Their most recent "Regenesis Creation" is a symphonic black metal masterpiece. They have some fairly long songs however, most over 5 minutes. If you can tolerate longer songs, then you will love these guys.

These guys are great too. I love longer songs- infact I tend to dislike songs under 3 minutes long.

F_B_M
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:51 pm 

Hi

I want some instrumental black metal, or at least minimal vocals.
I like stuff like Forest of Fog's Rabenflug album.

ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr8gEqVNZXU

Thanks in advance.

Peter31095Metalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:28 pm 

1) I also want to know about more stuff that sounds like Rabenflug.

2) I'm looking for bands that sound like Obtained Enslavement.

xfrostovawakeningx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:58 pm 

i'm looking for something musically similar to Satanic Warmaster,(perhaps without keys, however) but i'd like to it to also have the vocals and rawness of something in the vein of Ithdabquth Qliphoth... too much to ask?

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:14 am 

Horna could be worth checking out.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 pm 

xfrostovawakeningx wrote:
i'm looking for something musically similar to Satanic Warmaster,(perhaps without keys, however) but i'd like to it to also have the vocals and rawness of something in the vein of Ithdabquth Qliphoth... too much to ask?

Ad Hominem, Urgehal and Judas Iscariot Maybe? Both have some excellent albums. Start with their debuts.

Also:
Azaghal - Mustamaa
Bilskirnir - In Flames of Purification
Vlad Tepes - March To The Black Holocaust
Kristallnacht - Blooddrenched memorial
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves and In the Glare of Burning Churches

defyexistance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:48 pm 

This is a cool thread. Black metal is by far my favorite metal sub-genre, but there are a lot of crappy bands out there. My black metal tastes are quite varied, so bear with me. My favorite albums would have to be Battles in the North by Immortal, because of its frosty, blizzard-y feel, I like Nord by Sethereal for the same reason. Sons of Northern Darkness by Immortal, it just sounds so noble and majestic to me. Anthems... by Emperor, along with some of Alghazanth's stuff, because it is so complex. Lunar Poetry by Nokturnal Mortum because of its wild, woodsy feel, along with absolutely perfect songwriting and stunning musicianship.
I am looking to get into more traditional, grimmer black metal. I want to hear more bands that, if someone asked you to define black metal, you would show them. By this I mean bands like Darkthrone, Judas Iscariot, Profanatica, etc...
What would you recommend? feel free to recommend anything outside of this genre as well.
"Our bodies will turn to ashes, our bones will fade to dust, our lives will be forgotten, all our dreams crushed... reality, perception, biased by our egos, mutilated by our superegos, I transcend these for now I am one with the void."-Eclipse Eternal

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:40 pm 

defyexistance wrote:
This is a cool thread. Black metal is by far my favorite metal sub-genre, but there are a lot of crappy bands out there. My black metal tastes are quite varied, so bear with me. My favorite albums would have to be Battles in the North by Immortal, because of its frosty, blizzard-y feel, I like Nord by Sethereal for the same reason. Sons of Northern Darkness by Immortal, it just sounds so noble and majestic to me. Anthems... by Emperor, along with some of Alghazanth's stuff, because it is so complex. Lunar Poetry by Nokturnal Mortum because of its wild, woodsy feel, along with absolutely perfect songwriting and stunning musicianship.
I am looking to get into more traditional, grimmer black metal. I want to hear more bands that, if someone asked you to define black metal, you would show them. By this I mean bands like Darkthrone, Judas Iscariot, Profanatica, etc...
What would you recommend? feel free to recommend anything outside of this genre as well.

check out ARCKANUM (esp. "Kostoher" and his latest "ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ" album), TAAKE's debut, BORKNAGAR's s/t debut... pfff.. there are tons more... ULVER's "Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden".
Though some slight acoustic parts also appear on some of them, this is mostly grim, frosty and mighty BM!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:17 pm 

I hate how at some point it's always agalloch, darkspace, drudkh, verdunkeln and coldworld that get recommended when someone asks for "atmospheric black metal". :annoyed:

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:02 pm 

I need some black metal similar to the album "Distant in Solitary Night" by Judas Iscariot. Any suggestions?
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm 

Early Darkthrone. :P

xfrostovawakeningx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:48 pm 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
Horna could be worth checking out.
if that was directed at me, i listened... with all the talk of them previously why the hell haven't i checked them out before? nice and fast as raw, really cool.

Crypt666 wrote:
Ad Hominem, Urgehal and Judas Iscariot Maybe? Both have some excellent albums. Start with their debuts.

Also:
Azaghal - Mustamaa

thankyou, i really dig Vlad Tepes already, in face i've been getting into the LLN stuff for a little while. Graveland are awesome too. I actually have a Judas Iscariot album someone gave to me but I haven't given it a listen let.
Of the others, i tried Kristallnacht first. Despite my misgivings i have to admit there's something about this sort of "noble sounding" NSBM that gets me everytime. When i have some time i will give the others a listen. thanks for the suggestions!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:49 am 

Can someone please point out which guy is Wrest in the current Twilight band photo on their M-A page?

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:41 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Can someone please point out which guy is Wrest in the current Twilight band photo on their M-A page?

I think he's the second guy from the left.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:06 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I need some black metal similar to the album "Distant in Solitary Night" by Judas Iscariot. Any suggestions?

Early Darkthrone offcourse start with Transilvanian Hunger and Under A Funeral Moon. Something I'm listening to right now you might like: Maleficarum - The Unholy Falldown Of Christianism

Also:
Ad Hominem
Urgehal
Beastcraft - Dawn Of The Serpent
Azaghal - Mustamaa
Veles - Triumph Of Pagan Beliefs
Dark Fury - Vae Victis!

Last edited by Crypt666 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:22 am 

I'm looking for awesome blackmetal / war demo's. please advise demo's only!!!

Not just demo's that were kind of ok or worth a listen or look this band definitely has some talent. No! I mean demo's that were these bands their best work and are awesome enough to listen to over and over again. Let's stick to pure old school black / war metal please, no ambient, atmospheric or deppressive stuff.

Here are some of my favourite:
Tulus - Samlerens Kammer
Baalberith - A Escalada Triunfante
Proclamation - Imperious Jaws of Ire
Conqueror - Anti-Christ Superiority
Von - Satanic Blood
Veles - Triumph Of Pagan Beliefs
Old Wainds demos are awesome
Hate Forest - Scythia
Beherit demos
Mastema - Inhuman Satanik And Evil
Blodulv - Kristkrossare
Death Yell - Vengeance from Darkness
Goat Semen - Goat Semen
Old Funeral demos
Graveland - In the Glare of burning Churches

Peter31095Metalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 pm 

Peter31095Metalhead wrote:

Anyone?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:58 pm 

Anyone?

No. There is no such thing.

Peter31095Metalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 pm 

Slag wrote:

Anyone?

No. There is no such thing.

Damn! Although I can't say I was surprised.

deaThrash_Andy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am 

I can not for the life of me bring myself to actually enjoy a black metal band. When i started out listening to "extreme" metal I enjoyed listening to death metal "purists" and I would occasionally listen to Darkthrone's Soulside Journey album, but it was never very memorable for me. I noticed that the majority of the bands on this site are Black metal so i must be missing out on something. How could a Black Metal newbie like me get into this genre. I do enjoy Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane from time to time and Diabolical Masquerade's Nightwork.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:57 am 

I know it's not straight-up black metal, but I'm looking for stuff along the lines of Primordial's "A Journey's End", or any of their albums up to "Storm Before Calm". Their later stuff is great as well, but I'm looking for other bands that manage to attain that haunting sound that Primordial used to have.

Thanks.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:33 am 

Anyone?

Try Gorgoroth, Pentagram is the only album I like but many will disagree... Also maybe Immortal - Fullmoon Mysticism. Maybe even Galgeras or Fluisterwoud.

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:06 am 

i've been trying to re-find a Black Metal album i found through these forums awhile ago

they hailed from New York, the cover for the 1 album they had an that i listened to was black and gold and i think they had only 2 members. was quite Darkthrone-y if i remember correctly. i think they had a large name too
sorry if this doesn't really help but it's all that seems to come to mind, i could just be making shit up in my head....but i'm sure it's a band

any help would be appreciated, thanks

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 am 

sorry, can't help directly. But I tried the "advanced search" function with "black" (genre) and "new york" (city/state) which then gives a list of 120 bands. Not too many to check out and maybe one of the names rings a bell?

Peter31095Metalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am 

Crypt666 wrote:

Anyone?

Try Gorgoroth, Pentagram is the only album I like but many will disagree... Also maybe Immortal - Fullmoon Mysticism. Maybe even Galgeras or Fluisterwoud.

I don't think Gorgoroth and Immortal sound like Obtained Enslavement, but I'll check those other bands.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:38 am 

Crypt666 wrote:

Anyone?

I don't think Gorgoroth and Immortal sound like Obtained Enslavement, but I'll check those other bands.

Obtained Enslavement's debut album definately borrow from Fullmoon Mysticism and I do think the vocals are kind of similar with Pentagram sometimes. But no none of these bands sound just like Obtained Enslavement. Not at all actually but I hear influences and just thaught you might like them.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 142  Next