Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:29 pm 

I've been looking for stuff that's like Orchid for a long while because I just really, really hate the rest of Opeth's catalogue.

What I'm specifically looking for: the riffing style, that sort of power metally/trad heavy twin guitar melody work, (think, say, the intro of "In Mist...") where both guitars are playing slightly different melodies or harmonies at the same time (counterpoints) as opposed to have one playing melodies and the other doing chords, yet with a certain rock 'n' roll sloppiness to it. Important that there's little to no tremolo picking and the riffs are never chunky or groovy. Also that it has a dry, thin guitar tone. Also, and this is primordial, NO blast beats!

What I'm NOT looking for: stuff that's also melodic but is heavy on tremolo and blasts (literally any melodic black metal), stuff that is just atmospheric but has nothing on the riffing style (Agalloch, Deafheaven, Tiamat, Swallow the Sun, Saturnus, In Mourning, Vehemence, In The Woods...), or bands that sound like Opeth (Scythe, Gwynbleidd). Also, Morningrise. Just no.

The albums I've found the closest thus far are:

Dreichmere - Dispair the Withered Shadows
Autumn Requiem - As I Beheld the Blazing Glory of the Rising Dawn
Ophthalamia - A Journey in Darkness, Via Dolorosa
Orphaned Land - El Norra Alila
Garden of Shadows - Oracle Moon
Autumnal Winds - Venerari Sacra Mysteria
All 3 Obsequiae releases
The first 3 Katatonia releases (Dance of December Souls, Brave Murder Day, For Funerals to Come)
Anathema - The Crestfallen EP
October Tide - Rain Without End
Ablaze my Sorrows - If Emotions Still Burn
Ceremonial Oath - Carpet
Ancient Ceremony - Under Moonlight we Kiss
The Morningside - The Wind, The Trees and The Shadows of The Past
Sorrows Lament - ... When I'm Gone
Atropos - Créature Chthonienne
Ethnocide - Tearful demo

I should also mention Amorphis, Dark Tranquility, Edge of Sanity, In Flames, Asphodelus, Fatal Embrace and Eucharist, who don't really sound like what I'm looking for, save the odd song. Thanks in advance!

Reply to topic