Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:33 am 

Sorry if i commiting some mistake by starting this thread.My intention is to earn Metalcore/Deathcore bands recommendations by describing their respective characteristics.

The only bands that i listened full discographies were Killswitch Engage (Metalcore/Melodic Metalcore) and Whitechapel (Deathcore).

I am listening to:Hatebreed,Earth Crisis,All Out War,Ringworm,Integrity,Botch,Coalesce,Merauder and Starkweather.I didn't listen yet another deathcore band.And i only listened the first Avenged Sevenfold album (Listened all Lamb of God discography,but i already said it at Groove Metal Thread).

I am looking for 90s metalcore vibe.So,which are your favorite bands from these genres?I don't mind if you put Melodic Metalcore names,but i especially looking for bands that sounds like Hatebreed or Earth Crisis early work.

Last edited by Spiderlix on Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:16 pm 

UPDATE

Finished Hatebreed and started Vision of Disorder.Man,Hatebreed it's definetely my most favorite metalcore band that i listened so far.It's Pantera with hardcore.

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:39 pm 

I went through my little metalcore phase about 20+ years ago. I remember liking stuff like Unearth (metalcore), Eighteen Visions (very early deathcore), and Poison the Well (more hardcore than metal). Probably anything those guys put out between '99 and '03 would be what you're looking for. I'll recommend you start with these albums:

Unearth - Stings of Conscience
Eighteen Visions - Until the Ink Runs Out
Poison the Well - The Opposite of December

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:11 pm 

ThrashTilDeath530 wrote:
I went through my little metalcore phase about 20+ years ago. I remember liking stuff like Unearth (metalcore), Eighteen Visions (very early deathcore), and Poison the Well (more hardcore than metal). Probably anything those guys put out between '99 and '03 would be what you're looking for. I'll recommend you start with these albums:

Unearth - Stings of Conscience
Eighteen Visions - Until the Ink Runs Out
Poison the Well - The Opposite of December

Thanks,man.Gonna listen it.

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:23 pm 

UPDATE

I added Eighteen Visions and Poison the Well.Unearth too,but it's hard to tell which i liked more between Coalesce and Eighteen Visions.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:13 pm 

If you like 90's style metalcore but with a more modern approach, Shadows Fall is a must! Their 2007 release, Thread of Life is as metal as 2000's metalcore gets, and it's thrashing, fast and unapologetic. Good stuff.

If you like metallic hardcore/metalcore with a more melodic twist and big emotionnal build-ups and choruses, Times of Grace should also be right up your alley. Their album The Hymn of a Broken Man, released in 2011 was absolutely solid, and basically as good as this whole subgenre gets, IMHO.

If you like some hard hitting, machine gun drums and a wee-bit industrial metalcore/melodic death metal, Threat Signal's first album is killer. It's called Under Reprisal and was released in 2006.

If you listen to any of these, let me know :)

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:06 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
If you like 90's style metalcore but with a more modern approach, Shadows Fall is a must! Their 2007 release, Thread of Life is as metal as 2000's metalcore gets, and it's thrashing, fast and unapologetic. Good stuff.

If you like metallic hardcore/metalcore with a more melodic twist and big emotionnal build-ups and choruses, Times of Grace should also be right up your alley. Their album The Hymn of a Broken Man, released in 2011 was absolutely solid, and basically as good as this whole subgenre gets, IMHO.

If you like some hard hitting, machine gun drums and a wee-bit industrial metalcore/melodic death metal, Threat Signal's first album is killer. It's called Under Reprisal and was released in 2006.

If you listen to any of these, let me know :)

Listened it.They are from the same school of Killswitch Engage.Thanks.I think i appreciated more Threat Signal.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:14 am 

Spiderlix wrote:
I am looking for 90s metalcore vibe.So,which are your favorite bands from these genres?

The following are all records I still listen to:

Barrit - Smiles Upon the Stroke that Murders Me
(this is a difficult album to listen to because it is very chaotic and nasty, but worth perservering as it is one of the best and most extreme in the genre)

Krakatoa - Channel Static Blackout
(This is a wonderful album that everyone seems to have forgotten about, this is the best example of how to integrate melody into hardcore without sounding cheesy. The guitarist is now in Obsequiae, I believe, which tells you something)

Harvest - Transitions
(Much more in the chunky metallic hardcore than the aforementioned. The vocalist was also in Krakatoa, great songwriting though. If you like Helmet then you'll like this)

Shai Hulud - Hearts Once Nourished...
(This is a very clever record, full of melody and interesting songs, good lyrics too)

There are hundreds of others from across the hardcore spectrum (which is massive), but these four records have all stood the test of time and they're great on a musical level rather than just as 'genre pieces'.

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:10 pm 

UPDATE

I finished Coalesce discography and it's very good,but unfortunetaly it's so short.To be honest it's been a long time i don't focus on metallic hardcore discographies.Must back to listening.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:11 am 

Throwdown, Adamantium, Eighteen Visions, Sinai Beach, Point of Recognition, Scars of Tomorrow, Strife, No Innocent Victim, Trial, Sworn Vengeance, Hoods, Skycamefalling, One King Down, Converge, Snapcase, Buried Alive, Vision of Disorder, Poison the Well, Morning Again, all their early albums are what your looking for.

But really if you only check out one recommendation, please check out Zao. Massively influential and highly underrated metallic hardcore band. They’re early stuff was Christian influenced but don’t let that dissuade you. Start with Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest and go from there. Every album is very different and some were quite experimental.

Cheers

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:22 pm 

https://xyotkx.bandcamp.com/album/no-love-lost

came out recently, p good

GodOfMalice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:13 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some Metalcore in the vein of these two rather obscure bands? The best I can find is In Flames, which was already on my radar. Sort of melodic, mid 2010s with clean vocal passages?

https://music.apple.com/us/album/it-sta ... 1112688074
https://norushforalie.bandcamp.com/album/lying-out-loud

Evil Entity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:37 am 

My #2 album for 2022 was Get The Shot - Merciless Destruction.

They have their own vibe. Deathy thrash with heavy hardcore breakdowns and a fantastic vocalist who can go from growls to psycho yelping like oldschool Vio-Lence.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:17 pm 

one of my fave records from last year was this one.
https://envisionhc.bandcamp.com/album/t ... t-tomorrow
Hardcore band with Dokken riffs, not all that different from Sumerlands actually.

Reply to topic