Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:59 am 

Well, this may be some sort of oxymoron, but I have this issue with crusty/grind bands - I like the sound, but as soon I get engaged in the music, the song is over, this, breaking my focus span. So, I'm looking for something ala Wormrot/Napalm Death/Brutal Truth/Scour but with longer songs, like 5+minutes or more. Any ideas?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:00 pm 

Amebix has several 5+ min songs, and in general, I believe they sit at around 4’ per track.
You might want to look into the sludge-afflicted part of crust to find longer songs, tho you’ll necessarily lose some of the speed. Bands like Skaven, Dystopia, or Axegrinder tend to favor the longer format.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:22 pm 

Look, my man, the closest thing to the one you are looking for is deathgrind. Their songs are similar in speed as in grindcore but with the difference that they focus more on slams and heavy riffing than fast and short songs and they are a little bit longer, around 3 to 4 minutes, even 5 in some songs. You have to understand that grindcore is a hardcore punk derivation, not a metal one, so the songs of that genre are always going to be on the shorter side of the spectrum.

But I can recommend some death metal style of grindcore, also known as deathgrind. A couple of good albums of that genre

1 - Aborted - Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done, Engineering the Dead, The Purity of Perversion
2 - Dying Fetus - Killing on Adrenaline, Destroy the Opposition, Grotesque Impalement, Purification Through Violence
3 - Misery Index - Retaliate, Discordia, Traitors, Heirs to Thievery
4 - Cattle Decapitation - Karma.Bloody.Karma, The Harvest Floor, Monolith of Inhumanity
5 - Exhumed - Slaughtercult
6 - Cephalic Carnage - Lucid Interval, Anomalies, Xenosapien, Misled by Certainty

And that's like 19 different albums I am sure you are going to like some of them, keep it grinding my friend.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:53 pm 

I assume you've heard "Symphonies of Sickness" already?

Beyond that, perhaps try the Structure of Lies cover of Deviated Instinct's "Resurrection Encore" for starters....

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:26 am 

This is less grindy than the examples you give, but how about bands like Cruz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9TUEKftrPg

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:10 am 

Thank you guys, surly will check em out!

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:03 pm 

desticles
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:15 pm 

grind will mostly always be short! if you like grind in general i suggest deathgrind ore even animegrind.. goregrind is also a good subgenre if you know where to look. some goregrinder songs can be 5-6mins long.

Xavlegs- Gore
I know this may not be a super creative band to recommend but the songs are more than a min or two long.

Cheerleader Concubine- The Divine Union of Serrated Death
28 min long compilation if you can get behind animegrind!! I guess its also considered animeslam but i think youd enjoy it otherwise.

Im not much of a grind listener but more of a Brutal Slam type of guy. I think youd enjoy Brutal Slam if you enjoy grind. It has some similarites if you think about it, and the songs are usually longer. But theres are the only grind albums that i can think about that are somewhat long.

Reply to topic