Black Sword Thunder Attack
Brothers of Sword
Lordian Guard
Grendel's Sÿster
Gotham City
Randy
Ursa Rust
Blackholicus

Some of the listed might fall into another category or style, but sometimes I end up stumbling upon bands with a slightly similar sound or sentiment.

I'd love genuine recommendations for more artists to look into.

Thank you.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm 

We have a whole section of our forums dedicated to recommandations :)
viewforum.php?f=11

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:14 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
We have a whole section of our forums dedicated to recommandations :)
viewforum.php?f=11
Are you staff? I'd like my thread moved there if there is a staff member who can see.

Thank you.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 pm 

Moved.

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:45 pm 

Don't forget Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol and Pagan Altar.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:51 pm 

I'm sure you could like Doomsword, classic italian epic metal: Let the Battle Commence is their most beloved one, but i have a soft spot for their last album

Also if you are not familiar with them check out Cloven Hoof, Sultan's Ransom is my favorite and it's pure heavy metal goodness, even if the production is not optimal

Also Also: Crimson Glory. Their first two are classics!

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:01 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'm sure you could like Doomsword, classic italian epic metal: Let the Battle Commence is their most beloved one, but i have a soft spot for their last album

Also if you are not familiar with them check out Cloven Hoof, Sultan's Ransom is my favorite and it's pure heavy metal goodness
I bought a re-issue All Souls' Day - Into the Mourning last year but that's something else totally, I do particularly tend to enjoy Italian doom as opposed to others.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:17 pm 

Prajna from Colombia (relocated to Canada) is one of those obscure projects people into epic and power metal seem to dig. I don't like them personally, programmed drums (when they're too obvious) are always a big no-no from me and I think his vocals suck, but it has gained some sort of following over the latest few years so perhaps you might like it as well.

Also, you're probably already familiar with these ones given you named some more obscure stuff, but in case you don't, you might want to check out Cauldron born (a personal favorite of mine) and Legend (us) - from the fjords.

Omitting some obvious stuff such as visigoth or eternal champion as it find it highly unlikely you don't know them already.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 pm 

A couple stuff that just came to mind. Might be useful to others reading this thread.
Inquisicion from chile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yigdiE7Lo (full 94 demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbp8GowTVLs)
Dantesco (epic doom) from puerto rico: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHsrv6KxmYo

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:34 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Prajna from Colombia (relocated to Canada) is one of those obscure projects people into epic and power metal seem to dig. I don't like them personally, programmed drums (when they're too obvious) are always a big no-no from me and I think his vocals suck, but it has gained some sort of following over the latest few years so perhaps you might like it as well.

Also, you're probably already familiar with these ones given you named some more obscure stuff, but in case you don't, you might want to check out Cauldron born (a personal favorite of mine) and Legend (us) - from the fjords.

Omitting some obvious stuff such as visigoth or eternal champion as it find it highly unlikely you don't know them already.
I don't particularly enjoy most power metal, but I have appreciation for the bands who sound less synthy, speedy, but more obscure and put those early heavy and doom elements in. Not a big fan of visigoth, they were fun to listen to for a little while and help gateway my way into indulgence, especially their first album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:35 pm 

For stuff like Dark Quarterer, I'd definitely recommend Adramelch's Irae Melanox, amazing album, a little more power metallish but in a very similar vein and with a dark, ominous atmosphere. Based on some of those names I'd also recommend Defender from Sweden, their album They Came Over The High Pass is excellent. And since you mentioned Iron Griffin and doom elements, not my personal favorite but Shelder has some definite similarities to Iron Griffin and play heavy/doom metal, their album God of Vikings would be worth checking out I think.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:45 pm 

Wyrmbane wrote:
Which Cirith Ungol album you recommend the most, the only one with songs I continually go back to is from Paradise Lost.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:15 pm 

Air Raid (Sweden)

Blind Fury (UK)

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:41 am 

WolfyAmbassador wrote:
Wyrmbane wrote:
Which Cirith Ungol album you recommend the most, the only one with songs I continually go back to is from Paradise Lost.

I'd say the second one is their best album.

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:29 am 

tahu157 wrote:
Air Raid (Sweden)

Blind Fury (UK)

Air Raid is pretty dope, more upbeat stuff, I would tie them into a bands like Anthem, Racer X, Impellitteri and neoclassical type stuff.

Wyrmbane wrote:
I'd say the second one is their best album.
Will def give a re-listen if I haven't heard all of it.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:45 pm 

Check out the albums below, most should fit nicely into your list, enjoy.

Slauter Xstroyes “Winter Kill”
Medieval Steel “The Dungeon Tapes”
Desolation Angels “S/T”
Chastain “Ruler Of The Wasteland”
Blitzkrieg “Absolute Power”
Brocas Helm “Into Battle”
Cloven Hoof “S/T”
Quartz “Stand Up And Fight”
Taipan “Snakes” & “Metal Machine”

Domine “Stormbringer Ruler” & “Emperor Of The Black Runes”. In terms of power metal that has a good true metal feel I would definitely recommend Domine, damn I miss them and Doomsword.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:12 pm 

Wouldn't the first two Blind Guardian fit?

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:27 pm 

Opus wrote:
Wouldn't the first two Blind Guardian fit?
Sorry man, personally ever really enjoyed much of BG; a lot of people love that band.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:08 pm 

From your list I'm only familiar with Iron Griffin, who I really really enjoy, so I've got a few recommendations based off that.

Demon Bitch - Hellfriends. Both bands have imperfections and somewhat lo-fi production. Demon Bitch is a lot faster, but I get similar vibes. I especially like the drum production for both bands.

Vulture's Vengeance - Where the Time Dwelt In. This also has drum production that really does it for me. Their recent album is bloody great too.

Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire. You might already know this band but I always listen to these bands together. Great drums, great riffs and really nice reverb on everything.

Ashbury - Endless Skies. An older album but great sound, excellent song writing, it just rocks.

Some other bands worth checking out for you might be Haunt, Stone Dagger (Only one demo but it's good), Cauldron (The canadian heavy metal band), Cloven Hoof (I find their music to be hit or miss, but I love their song 'Reach for the Sky'), Leather Heart, Borrowed Time, Gatekeeper... I usually listen to all these bands when I am in this sort of mood.

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:40 pm 

Earthshine wrote:
From your list I'm only familiar with Iron Griffin, who I really really enjoy, so I've got a few recommendations based off that.

Demon Bitch - Hellfriends. Both bands have imperfections and somewhat lo-fi production. Demon Bitch is a lot faster, but I get similar vibes. I especially like the drum production for both bands.

Vulture's Vengeance - Where the Time Dwelt In. This also has drum production that really does it for me. Their recent album is bloody great too.

Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire. You might already know this band but I always listen to these bands together. Great drums, great riffs and really nice reverb on everything.

Ashbury - Endless Skies. An older album but great sound, excellent song writing, it just rocks.

Some other bands worth checking out for you might be Haunt, Stone Dagger (Only one demo but it's good), Cauldron (The canadian heavy metal band), Cloven Hoof (I find their music to be hit or miss, but I love their song 'Reach for the Sky'), Leather Heart, Borrowed Time, Gatekeeper... I usually listen to all these bands when I am in this sort of mood.
Nice! Will give them a listen. Thank you guys.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:26 pm 

Looks like USPM would be up your alley, and just epic 80s traditional metal.

These Canadians had a demo and an EP in the 80s, and very solid epic heavy metal.

Warlord. 80s epic metal band that reformed and have had a bunch of stuff since the early 2000s again. This is from their 2015 album.

Tyrant has a darker, and doomier style than most of the USPM bands so I think you will like it. They have some new stuff out soon and it is sounding really promising.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:27 pm 

Here's a Heavy Load-sounding band: Gauntlet from Greece

ClovenWoof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:56 pm 

These are up my alley too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpaICj0UAHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSrZpeevoV0

Reply to topic