Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VGam3r97
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:19 am 

I've been experimenting with my musical taste in metal, and after listening to bands like Blood Stain Child, Silent Descent, Timecry, etc., I've been interested in Trance Metal, especially bands that fuse Melodic Death Metal with Trance and Electronic music.

Are there any bands that you could recommend to me? I don't mind if there are Metalcore influences in the music but I'm not looking into the heavily "-core"-influenced bands like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack!.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:38 am 

Machinae Supremacy is the only band that comes to mind besides Blood Stain Child which you've already listed. I remember there were a few bands on Bandcamp tagged with trancecore that were interesting enough to follow up on but I never actually did. I'll see if I can find any of them.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:42 am 

Blood Stain Child are pretty much unbeatable in my opinion, but there's a number of other Japanese bands which have some trance influence, including Jormungand, Doll$boxx, Fruitpochette, Black Gene For The Next Scene, Mergingmoon, etc. Of those, Doll$boxx are probably the best to check out since their vocalist, Fuki, is absolutely incredible. The other band members' work as Gacharic Spin ain't bad, but it's not the same without Fuki.

Outside of Japan, I'd suggest Odyssea, 4th Dimension (their second album at least, the opening track has a fucking amazing trance synth solo), Hammerforce, Order of Tyr, Sympuls-E, and maybe Neurotech. Oh, and maybe Lifeform? Dunno, but they're neat anyways.

As for trancecore? I'm a huge metalcore apologist but I struggle to find anything redeemable there, aside from maybe Fail Emotions.

Last edited by RNG on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:46 am 

Here's some of them that I recognize. They're pretty djenty though, which I absolutely hate, which is why I didn't stick with them.

https://failemotions.bandcamp.com/album/renaissance
https://deathofapoet.bandcamp.com/album ... ld-to-gain

They're not quite what you're asking for, but you might like Sympuls-e:

https://sympulse.bandcamp.com/album/des ... e-barriers

They make an extremely polished and futuristic sounding death metal that I haven't really heard anywhere else.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:59 am 

Sympuls-E is one I mentioned, but thanks for linking their bandcamp - their latest single has a feature from a member of Illidiance, and that band is also probably worth bringing up. As are some of the other less aggrotech-y cyber metal bands like Herrschaft.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:04 am 

Xe-None from Russia combines electronic music(more dance I guess) with metal, mainly in their first album. Its music to have some fun.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:14 am 

The Browning has some trance or something related (not that familiar in that genre) combined with deathcore I guess, maybe that is something you like.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:41 am 

I realise you were looking for more along the melodic death metal side of metal, however I have to say that black metal has a number of quality bands you may want to give a listen to.

First off, Lunar Aurora's Hoagascht is, for me anyways, a pinnacle of atmospheric black metal. There is a lot of subtle industrial/electronica influences on this album, from synthesizers to a strange crashing percussion the drummer is using, to the vibe of the songs. The album is also thematically centered around the band's home region of Bavaria, so there is a unique fusion between nature-influences and electronica-influences at play throughout the album. Sterna is a great song introduction. I also really enjoy the album Mond by LA.

To cut right to the chase, U.M.A. by Progenie Terrestre Pura is exactly what you are looking for. Combining atmospheric black metal, psychedelic ambience and science-fiction themes, this album is a masterpiece. It evokes feeling such as a futuristic Summoning or Agalloch, a dash of Samael or Blut Aus Nord, mixed well with elements that remind me also of Devin Townsend's old project Ocean Machine and their singular album Biomech. Speaking of Ocean Machine, Seventh Wave is what I'm talking about here.

Of the Norwegian Second Wave bands, Windir was in particular mixing viking/folk metal with blackened riffs and electronica elements. Journey to the End goes into a full on trance/electronica closer, and in the years since the main songwriter Valfar passed on, Vreid still dabble in Windir's style (in particular on the Norwegian-titled songs). By no means do they always mix in these elements, but by far one of the finest bands to do so.

No songs in particular, but perhaps also check out Lustre, some superb ambient influences and sublime atmospheres. It isn't trance music, but it is good to meditate to.

I don't really count myself as much of a fan of Nachtmystium, but Instinct:Decay has some tasty psychedelic elements you may well appreciate. I also enjoy Oranssi Pazuzu and Njiqahdda if you find more psychedelic bands to your liking.

Blut aus Nord can get downright nightmareish in atmosphere, guitar strings sound like they are falling off the bridge, or mechanical groans from an ancient machina. Conversely, sometimes the industrial influences build towards a towering height, and it is sublime, such as in Our Blessed Frozen Cells. BAN can be hit or miss for me, but is one of my favourite one person bands. Very prolific and lots of material to go through. The earlier related project Children of Mäani is similar, with some interesting middle eastern or egyptian-sounding scales in use (if a small discography).

Rotting Christ in their mid-era began to experiment with industrial influences. Sanctus Diavolos was my introduction to RC, and is an immersive ritualistic album, not as guitar-centric as their earlier material, instead grooving with the synth elements. I really can't recommend this album/this band enough. I'm not as big a fan of Samael, but you may enjoy their music as well.

Finally, check out Inquisition, starting with the latest album and then work your way backwards. Hardly trance-influenced, but the songwriting creates a very trance-like atmopshere, or ritual energy, to the music.

I realize this reply is a little bit different than what you are looking for OP, but as an industrial and metal fan, I really enjoy bands that fuse electronic atmospheres with heavy metal. Hope this helps!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:02 am 

Silent Descent is maybe the best fit, but they have a lot of bad features. Crossfaith too.

Lots of Russian and Japanese bands play this sort of stuff.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:01 pm 

Rompestromper wrote:
The Browning has some trance or something related (not that familiar in that genre) combined with deathcore I guess, maybe that is something you like.

Like I said in an earlier post ITT, I'm a huge apologist for modern metalcore, but The Browning are fucking trash.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:48 pm 

I don't really have much to add other than a petty little rant that basically none of these bands have anything to do with trance, at least insofar as retaining the foundational production/composition pillars of which that genre rests on. Filtered supersaw arps does not make something trance, damnit!

/rant

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:35 pm 

RNG wrote:
Sympuls-E is one I mentioned, but thanks for linking their bandcamp - their latest single has a feature from a member of Illidiance, and that band is also probably worth bringing up. As are some of the other less aggrotech-y cyber metal bands like Herrschaft.

This was just a case of posting in super close proximity to each other. You hadn't posted yours by the time I started writing mine.

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:36 am 

How about The Rose Will Decay?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:05 am 

Try The Kovenant, especially "Animatronic" and "SETI".

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:53 am 

rexxz wrote:
Filtered supersaw arps does not make something trance, damnit!

But it does make it awesome!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Reply to topic