Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:20 am 

Hey guys
I'm trying to find some unusual genre bands among obscure bands, preferably a metal genre blent with a non-metal one, but if you recommend an unusual genre blend out of that context it's also ok. By unusual I mean something that was rarely done before, meaning that it's very hard to find another combination of those genres.
Some examples on the top of my head: Bluegrass Brutal Death, Ska Grindcore, Sludge/Japanese Folk..

Also I'm after the underground examples, I mean... I know that Diablo Swing Orchestra mixes swing and metal and the concept is good and all but hey, everybody already knows them, right? =P

Post your recs, please. Doesn't need to be a good band. What is not good for you may be good for me =]

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:13 am 

A lot of grind bands do sort of "novelty" songs here and there... which means my recs are just single songs, not full albums of this kind of genre-bending, but that Le Scrawl track reminded me of one of my favorite Patareni songs, which blends a sort of 50's-sounding pop melody with gruff vocals and low-tuned, distorted guitars:

Real Reggae's name is mostly a joke, but they occasionally do mix some reggae elements into their songs (I guess that's not very uncommon in HC music, though):

Either way, I consider them criminally overlooked.

Naked City is no doubt too obvious. Pain Killer might be as well, but check them out if you haven't... Sort of in that vein, there's also Seige's dirge-y, freeform "Jazzscape", Grim Reaper:

I'm sure that sounds pretty trite by modern standards, but I do think they were one of the earlier bands out there to do this kind of thing, mixing Jazz improv and brooding HC elements in such a way.

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:17 am 

I'd say to check out Deveykus, Klezmer/funeral doom/post-rock

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:34 pm 

For an unsual blend of metal genres, check out these guys who blend technical thrash metal with doom metal.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:51 pm 

A fairly popular unusual band atm is Tengger Cavalry who blend central asian folk with melodic death metal. The riffs are mediocre but that is more than made up for.

Psychofagist are a cool jazzgrind band

sort of godflesh mixed with electronic music instead of just industrial

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:20 am 

droneriot wrote:
For an unsual blend of metal genres, check out these guys who blend technical thrash metal with doom metal.

This is insane.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:58 pm 

If i remerber well Iblis's only album "menthell" was highly unusual black metal with funky basslines and very weird vocals..
and it was pretty good!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:54 pm 

Even in a single subgenre you can find some odd combinations. Try the first Mangled Torso album (Drawings of the Dead) for a blend of goregrind, death/doom metal and melodic death 'n' roll.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:38 pm 

I've always loved Angizia. Their first two albums are some strange combination of simplified black metal (as in minus the tremolos and aggression) plus...some kind of 19th century orchestral stuff (this definitely isn't symphonic in any way), and their side of their debut split with Amestigon even keeps the tremolo-y aspect of black metal. The albums after those (even including) gradually transition towards more outright Victorian cabaret-type avant-garde and get less metal, but the guitars and certainly drums still hang around (after their 5th they sort of settle stylistically and bring the guitars back a little more), and they still remain pretty darn weird. (And, I find the musical evolution through their first five albums plus their side of that split is so fluid that it's a perfectly cohesive experience to sit through all five of them in one sitting, helped even by chronological dates in several song titles; which I certainly enjoy doing when I'm in the mood for it)

Something from their second album:

They seem to have similarities to/influence from Devil Doll, to place them in a musical context (though certainly not beholden to them).

LakeErieWatershed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:00 pm 

Lonesummer. Think black metal as played by the Pixies.

GrindingBlackness
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:28 am 

Leper play a pretty cool mix of Ska and Grindcore.

https://youtu.be/Vp7nwlgZNJo

Insin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:29 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Semargl/35756: Black metal and pop - 'Satanic Pop Metal'
Worthless musically, but the it has value in its novelty.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am 

Acrania (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Acrania/112670) plays a combination of (some kind of) death metal and...well, I'm just gonna post the description from the band's page:

Quote:
...it is a project that proposes a different musical style, with strong Melodic Death influences, complementing music with different Latin rhythms and melodies and with other instruments that aren’t the classical "metal" ones such as: Jarana, Teponaxtle, Congas, Pailas (Latin Instruments), saxophone etc.; searching for a new concept combining different musical styles such as: Samba, Bossanova, Songo, Jazz, different typical Mexican rhythms such as: Son Jarocho, La Bamba (Just to give an example) with Death Metal.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:47 pm 

@Red_Death
Acrania is amazing! Sounds a little odd at first, but it somehow works out and is actually enjoyable (contrary to some joke projects posted here).

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:42 pm 

Igorrr fits the non-metal part of the OP. In this album there's breakcore, classical, black metal, grindcore, among many others.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Reply to topic