Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:29 am 

Not a metal request but I'm hoping people here can help. Ive been revisiting this genre lately. When I was young I listened to a lot of this stuff but my tastes changed and I stopped following some of my favorite bands, and now it's great to see what they've put out in recent years. Can anyone recommend anything that sounds like pennywise, newer strung out, rise against, and ignite? It should be fast, aggressive and melodic, and can be new or old, although I know most of the obvious old ones. Really for me it's all about vocals. Strong clean shouts and singing is what I prefer. I know there's probably a ton of new bands doing this stuff but I'm old now and out of the loop. Thanks everyone

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:22 am 

Post removed, I don't think I gave the right kind of music.
In the light of Christ

Last edited by DCCLXXVII on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:15 pm 

Skate punk / melodic hardcore is definitely one of my biggest niche non-metal genres. One of the first ones I'll usually recommend is Hit the Switch, both of their albums (they may have a new one now or an older one I don't know about, but Domestic Tranquility & Social Justice and Observing Infinities are the ones I know) are both total bangers. Their best song ("Tidal Wave") isn't on Youtube, but trust me when I say that their second album is worth checking out just for that song.

The Decline is another one I find myself going back to very frequently. The link has a full album, but it's only because the first song on it isn't on Youtube by itself and that's the one I wanted to link. Super strong Aussie accents with the vocalists so they always kinda stood out amongst the floods of bands that sound like this. In fact, honestly, a lot of them sound pretty much the same, just some of them really stand out for whatever reason. Usually it's just something special about the vocals or melodies, and that brings me to Mighty Midgets. Usually they scream a bit harsher than what I think you're looking for, but I just absolutely love it when they do gang shouts. You know how whenever a band will do a gang shout, they all kinda harmonize with each other on the same note or at least on a nice harmony with similar voices? Yeah not this band. Every member of the band has a crazily distinct voice, none of them sound even remotely alike, so when they do gang shouts it's just this insanely melodic cacophony and I adore the shit out of it. It shouldn't work, but it totally does.

Pour Habit is one of the few punk bands in this style that stands out for incredible musicianship. Once you get past the reggae intro to this song, you'll hear one of the most intense melodic hardcore songs in eons, and it's just amplified by the fact that the band was super poor when recording this so they had to do all the drum tracks in one take. Listen to how fucking busy and active the drumming is and you'll understand why it's so impressive. Not to mention near constant guitar soloing. It's weird to say out loud because I'm just making it sound like the opposite of what punk should be, but really it's just that the band had such an absurd amount of energy during this time and it really shows in how batshit crazy a lot of the songs are. They do have more normal songs that are equally as good, but there's just something special about Zion.

I could go on for hours, but I'll just leave those for you for now and see what you think (oh no, I dropped a couple names on my way out! Implants (I think they may have some connection to Strung Out but I could be wrong), Mute (very technical, also it's cool to see a drummer sing), Atlas Losing Grip (I think this has the vocalist from Satanic Surfers, but I've never listened to SS so I could be remembering wrong), and many many others).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:07 pm 

I do listen to a bit of melodic hxc punk from time to time. Here are some of the recommendations off the top of my head:

Mel Team Plugs: French band who play a mix of melodic hardcore and skate-punk. Check out this album "Be Poor and Die"
http://chanmaxgeekos.bandcamp.com/album/be-poor-and-die

5050: Here's a Dutch melodic hxc punk band.
Full album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sE903_eySQ

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:11 am 

Damn Shouvince, Mel Team plugs is fucking great. Good find.

As for the request I have one you may like:

Damage case: Fucking obscure but amazing band that put out a single EP, and and one album before disbanding. Fast as hell music and one of my personal favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77DfwLA7IbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THAIkNEiZUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrNfJDglaE

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 am 

Oh brilliant! Yeah, they're an ace band. I've only heard that one album though.

@OP and Apex, if you dig Japanese melodic hxc punk, then check out these bands:

1000 Travels of Jawaharlal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-CJgD-nd2U
Minority Blues Band - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keOpeT23AyA
Sunsgrind -https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sunsgrind

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:37 pm 

Give Avail a spin:

And I'll take this opportunity to remind you about Bad Religion :oh shit:

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:11 pm 

Not to be obvious but you should definitely listen to Anti-flag

~Guest 265447
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:09 am 

Melodic Hardcore (or skate punk as called by some) is my all time favorite kind of music (yes, more than any metal genre) and I'm pretty happy of someone in here asking for this. Check out the Fat Wreck Chords bands, is the record label owned by Fat Mike from NOFX. There's also some pretty good brazilian and japanese bands.

Lagwagon
No Use for a Name
Propagandhi
Belvedere
Millencolin (played melodic hardcore, ska punk, pop punk... it really depends on the album)
88 Fingers Louie
Good Riddance
H2O
Strike Anywhere
All the Postcards
Dead Fish
Sugar Kane
Pense
Bullet Bane
Street Bulldogs
Back Lift
F.I.B.
Sunsgrind
Shank
4NO1

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:34 am 

Wow haven't listened to Propagandhi since the 90s but just checked out their latest album. They've really stepped up their sound from the bratty punk rock to angry political hardcore with atmosphere (never thought is use that word describing this kind if music). The new album is awesome

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:20 am 

I suggest checking recent posts in the Punk rec. thread. There's several melodic punk/HC bands that've been rec'd there recently.

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:03 pm 

Treblinka from Finland (not a nazi band)
Paintbox from Japan
Esteem from USA
Fingerprint from France

Not really my cup of tea but i highly recommend Treblinka, they were really good

I totally forgot about 16 Blåsare Utan Hjärna from sweden, They were great, they have a Discography cd out called "Aldrig Mer En Mohikan 1986-1987" Melodic, but also ripping hardcore

~Guest 265447
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:24 pm 

pbarb wrote:
Wow haven't listened to Propagandhi since the 90s but just checked out their latest album. They've really stepped up their sound from the bratty punk rock to angry political hardcore with atmosphere (never thought is use that word describing this kind if music). The new album is awesome

They really evolved and matured their sound, I can hear some metal influences there and also alternative rock stuff. I still prefer the first three albums, but they did something really great in the last ones. And I forgot Frenzal Rhomb and This is a Standoff, a great canadian band formed by ex-Belvedere members after the band split-up, pretty fast and technical stuff, similar to some Strung Out stuff.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:57 pm 

Check out Token Entry. They're a NYHC band from the 80s but much more melodic than Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front etc.

untappd: patrick_g

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:54 pm 

I too love this kind of music to death at the moment.
Check out Such Gold; super fucking tight musicianship. They should knock your tits off:

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:54 am 

Rites of Spring's S/T could impress you;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbbdjzWbgGM

Reply to topic