Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:28 am 

Heya,

I was listening to Nile's latest album and I really really like it mainly because of how Dallas Toller-Wade sings.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdqnylEmQYc, especially when he sings this part "Her Nakedness the Skin on Which the Stars Rest" and the following sentence too.

His growling doesn't sound like and indistinguishable gurgling mess... he uses his voice like a percussive instrument complementing the drumming.

Do you know any other singers that sing like in this song?

Note: my request shouldn't be reduced to "bands featuring intelligible singers"...

Thanks!

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:11 pm 

I hate And Then You'll Beg... but Mike DiSalvo from Cryptopsy Whisper Supremacy - ATYB era pretends to be a percussion instrument.

BlackRainbowFT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:58 pm 

Thanks!

I own a few Cryptopsy albums but never gave "And then you'll beg..." a listen. I... don't think I like it (although I can't judge it based on one song), but it was interesting.
The singer has indeed that "percussive" quality I'm looking for, but not as much as Nile's.

Thanks again

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:22 pm 

I linked Whisper Supremacy, though. It is better out of the two DiSalvo albums. ATYB is more for wanky tech death fans (On ATYB he is even more percussive) while Whisper Supremacy is kinda standard tech death metal. You might also try Despised Icon. They're deathcore but its lotsa on the death side and its more like death metal + hardcore than death metal + metalcore. There are two vocalists and they exchange lines etc. Albums I'd recommend would be The Ills of Modern Man and Day of Mourning. MVP, Furtive Monologue, Compelled to Copulate and The Sunset Will Never Charm Us are my overall favorite songs from Despised Icon.

Need4Power
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:27 pm 

Hmm...

This makes me want to ask if anyone knows an example of this percussive style of growling, but higher and with each note really short and fast, like a staccato tapping almost like a snare drum sound? If you could post that here too I'd appreciate it

Reply to topic