Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cheap Vodka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:47 pm 

Any suggestions for OSDM with atypical lyrics for the genre? As in, stuff other than gore or religious themes? I've tried using MA's Advanced Search feature but I mostly get a shitload of Brutal DM bands and that's not what I'm interested in.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:01 pm 

Cheap Vodka wrote:
Any suggestions for OSDM with atypical lyrics for the genre? As in, stuff other than gore or religious themes? I've tried using MA's Advanced Search feature but I mostly get a shitload of Brutal DM bands and that's not what I'm interested in.

Bolt Thrower, Hail of Bullets, War Master all sing about Battles and War.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:31 am 

Cheap Vodka wrote:

Dark Millennium's Ashore the Celestial Burden and Caducity's Whirler of Fate might appeal. Both have fantasy-themed story-driven lyrics that would have fit in a more 80s epic metal context, the former touching on religious themes a bit but not in the typical way. Caducity's are written in a dialogue/play format and are especially unusual for OSDM.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:57 pm 

I want some extremely fast-paced and high energy death metal with enough galloping riffs to make Jon Schaffer shit his pants in jealousy. I'm not picky beyond that but I'll stress the fast and galloping riffs point here.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:43 pm 

Cheap Vodka wrote:

Molested(unusual style as well as lyrics), Rottrevore(mostly vaguely political stuff), Unleashed(norse mythology, pretty rare for death metal, especially of that era). Nocturnus maybe assuming you count them as 'OSDM'.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:01 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
I want some extremely fast-paced and high energy death metal with enough galloping riffs to make Jon Schaffer shit his pants in jealousy. I'm not picky beyond that but I'll stress the fast and galloping riffs point here.

Struggling to think of something with a ton of galloping riffs...

Give Oath of Cruelty a shot.
http://warfarenoiseproductions.bandcamp ... cimation-2

How do you feel about grindcore?

PLF
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:59 am 

I like grindcore and that album was pretty good and I'll definitely check out that bad but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, and alas I did not enjoy Oath of Cruelty but thanks for the effort. I guess I'm basically looking for some power metal played as death metal if that makes any sense, but not melo death (unless of course it fits). Like if I could get a death metal version of a song like Helloween's Still We Go, or something along those lines, that would be perfect. Here's the song in case you don't know it. Maybe not the best representation of what I'm looking for to be turned into death metal but it's close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8rU0tXPl0

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:37 pm 

Dude, does such a thing even exist?! I'm hard pressed to think it does...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:11 pm 

That's why I'm here mate, to ask the wise.

Azmodes wrote:

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:00 pm 

Uh... total shot in the dark here, but maybe these?

Bones (US, not UK :lol:):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbAAGFS7GO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyNJzl4ttZc

Cauldron Black Ram:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8xxIBbHr-Q

Last edited by Gypaetus on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:26 pm 

That's why I'm here mate, to ask the wise.

I know, I know. I'm out of ideas on this one though... :(

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:05 pm 

That particular Bones is from the US, not the UK. Chi-town death metal!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 pm 

:lol: my bad.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:06 am 

My trad doom binge just ended. Now I need something vicious.

Does anyone know of any fast and heavy as shit death/thrash?

Nothing advanced, techy or anything like that. Just fast as hell, heavy as fuck ballsy death/thrash.

Serpent Obscene kind of fits what I'm after. Production is thinner and weaker than I'd like on Devastation, but Chaos Reign Supreme sort of fits.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:47 pm 

Wasn't familiar with Serpent Obscene, that's some solid thrashing!

For more in that vein check out Demolition Hammer, Solstice, Devastation (TX), Morbid Saint, Nekromantheon, etc. In fact, check the last couple pages in the Thrash help thread as those are the type of bands that have been getting rec'd/asked for lately.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:48 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

For more in that vein check out Demolition Hammer, Solstice, Devastation (TX), Morbid Saint, Nekromantheon, etc. In fact, check the last couple pages in the Thrash help thread as those are the type of bands that have been getting rec'd/asked for lately.

Nekromantheon and Devastation I haven't really checked out before. Will check 'em, thanks. Regarding Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint I'm already a fan of those bands (my old vest sported a Spectrum of Death backpatch, unfortunately it didn't survive me being drunk in a mosh pit around 2010-2011 or so and now has a big tear in it). Solstice is also pretty good, but I've already heard them and I own the first album (been meaning to get the second one as well).

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:25 pm 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:

Nekromantheon and Devastation I haven't really checked out before. Will check 'em, thanks. Regarding Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint I'm already a fan of those bands (my old vest sported a Spectrum of Death backpatch, unfortunately it didn't survive me being drunk in a mosh pit around 2010-2011 or so and now has a big tear in it). Solstice is also pretty good, but I've already heard them and I own the first album (been meaning to get the second one as well).

Yeah dude, both are solid. Nekromantheon has a newer one than I linked below but both rule. The Devastation albums before and after Idolatry are rad too.

Check out Invocator too if you're not familiar

Maybe Hypnosia too? Thrashier than the others but definitely heavy and punishing

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:52 pm 

Also, Protector

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:02 pm 

Thanks dude. Protector I'm already a fan of, but will check out the others you mentioned.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:05 pm 

The Devastation albums before and after Idolatry are rad too.

Idolatry is the third (and last) album of the band, and the debut sucks balls. Just stick to Signs Of Life and Idolatry, particularly the later which is a complete beast!

Also check out Thanatos and Massacra, two bands that everyone seems to know but that no one ever seems to mention in these discussions. Oh, and Torturer's debut is also very cool.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:15 pm 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:

Nothing advanced, techy or anything like that. Just fast as hell, heavy as fuck ballsy death/thrash.

Serpent Obscene kind of fits what I'm after. Production is thinner and weaker than I'd like on Devastation, but Chaos Reign Supreme sort of fits.

Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican
Epidemic - Decameron
Torture - Storm Alert (Some songs are very aggressive like Ignominious Slaughter)
Torture Squad - Pandemonium
Sadus - Illusions
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the Dead
Incubus - Serpent Temptation
Num Skull - Ritually Abused
Malevolent Creation - 10 Commandments
Merciless - The Awakening
Agressor - Neverending Destiny (Very fast and aggressive, although closer to Slayer perhaps than death metal)
Armoros - Pieces
Cancer - Death Shall Rise (Hung Drawn and Quartered will nail you to the wall if you turn that up)
Legion of the Damned (All their stuff sounds very similar)
Deathchain - Deaththrash Assault
Tribulation - The Horror (Very thrashy death metal and one of my favorite albums in recent years)
Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness (This album is right up there with Tribulation, also from Sweden).

Enjoy

Oh and this album recently came out. 2 reviews so far at 100%.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:03 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Oh and this album recently came out. 2 reviews so far at 100%.

Sounds like old Kreator. Maybe a bit too much even. :boo:

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 am 

I like grindcore and that album was pretty good and I'll definitely check out that bad but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, and alas I did not enjoy Oath of Cruelty but thanks for the effort. I guess I'm basically looking for some power metal played as death metal if that makes any sense, but not melo death (unless of course it fits). Like if I could get a death metal version of a song like Helloween's Still We Go, or something along those lines, that would be perfect. Here's the song in case you don't know it. Maybe not the best representation of what I'm looking for to be turned into death metal but it's close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8rU0tXPl0

Arghoslent?

gravemaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:42 am 

death metal with psychedelic elements?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:26 am 

Try the new Tribulation, Morbus Chron, Obliteration, Diskord, Flourishing, that Swallowed album, and Korpse. Lotta different vibes in those recommendations but maybe something you'd dig.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:26 am 

^ Adding 'Execration' to the above list. The band is a mixed bag. They've got OSDM (Autopsy-ish), psychedelic, experimental and proggy elements.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:45 am 

gravemaster wrote:

This was a fairly off the wall album last year. Good stuff.

OSDM with experimental elements.

OSDM from Italy and pretty progressive, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it psychedelic, but check it out.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:17 pm 

gravemaster wrote:

Skeleton of God - Primordial Dominion

And maybe also

Undertaker - Necro Thievery

The 3rd Faction
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:12 am 

Hi Guys,

as the title says, I am searching the Band / the Title of the following Song (recorded from a Music Cassette on Soundcloud):
https://soundcloud.com/the-3rd-faction/ ... track-no-1

Please Help..
Thank You!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:41 pm 

First off try posting that here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44082. Secondly, death metal that isn't. It sounds like some terrible Soulfly experiment.

Also just realized I never replied to Gypaetus... anywho, those Bones tracks are the closest thing I've heard to what I'm looking for so thank for that. I know of CBR but I really hate the one album of theirs I own. I've heard good things about their other material so one of these days I'll eventually get around to checking it out. :lol:

Azmodes wrote:

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:54 am 

Also, Protector

Protector is awesome. Too bad their releases are evidently so rare/expensive... :-(

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:56 am 

andersbang wrote:

Arghoslent?

Check out House of Atreus as well. I think of them as the non-racist Arghoslent. ;)

TheCryptologist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:07 am 

Looking for some Old School Death Metal similar to Cannibal Corpse's "Eaten Back to Life", Entombed's "Left Hand Path", and Grave's "You'll Never See..."

Something fast, heavy, blast beats, low growls, etc. Any recommendations?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:12 am 

Honestly, it's tough to narrow down to specific recommendations since you've pretty much described most of OSDM. However, here are some bands that you should dig:

Deicide and Malevolent Creation since you mentioned CC. The first two Deicide albums are mandatory listening. Malevolent Creation are a mixed bag. Check out 'Retribution' for starters.
For Swedeath (ie. bands like Entombed and Grave), check out Carnage's 'Dark Recollections', Gorement's 'The Ending Quest' and Uncanny's 'Splenium for Nyktophobia' (I'm quite certain you'll dig this album. It's one of my favorites).

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:20 am 

TheCryptologist wrote:
Looking for some Old School Death Metal similar to Cannibal Corpse's "Eaten Back to Life", Entombed's "Left Hand Path", and Grave's "You'll Never See..."

http://chamberoftorture.bandcamp.com/

Very similar vocals to mid 90's Barnes and obviously Cannibal Corpse influenced.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:31 am 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:

First Serpent Obscene album is killer also.

Firstly from Sweden, is Ensnared. Cool, vicious thrashy death.

With Roots Below
Adorations (The Dance Of Madness)

Secondly again from Sweden is Degial. With heavy Morbid Angel and Sepultura influences this is a brutal, raw, riff-fest.

Chaos Chant
Swarming

Lastly (and yep, again from Sweden) is the killer Vampire. Similar to Repugnant and awesome all the way.

The Fen
The Bestial Abyss

My collection

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:54 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
TheCryptologist wrote:

http://chamberoftorture.bandcamp.com/

Very similar vocals to mid 90's Barnes and obviously Cannibal Corpse influenced.

^that kills, nice art too.

Give Organ Donor a listen as well, for CC style death metal.
http://organdonor1.bandcamp.com/

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:13 pm 

Thanks to all the people who reccomended stuff. Have heard some of it, but the stuff I haven't heard should keep me occupied for a while.

Degial, Vampire and Devastation sound really promising so far. Will see what sticks once I get some more listening done.

:beer:

traditiondieshere
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:47 pm 

Okay, this may be a bit long winded and over-specified. I am looking for old school death metal/early tech death. No contemporary technical death metal, nothing beyond the year 1998. I want an old school vibe and sound, mixed with technicality, particularly dynamic drumming involving a lot of hi-hat and snare interplay. Please don't recommend staple bands like Morbid Angel, Death or even lesser known, but still of high status, like Nocturnus or Demilich. I want hidden diamonds in the ruff, bands that released one album or even demos only (not strict on this).

If I'm being too specific, or not clear enough, the first few seconds of each of these songs should give a little insight into what I'm looking for:

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:59 pm 

traditiondieshere wrote:
Okay, this may be a bit long winded and over-specified. I am looking for old school death metal/early tech death. No contemporary technical death metal, nothing beyond the year 1998. I want an old school vibe and sound, mixed with technicality, particularly dynamic drumming involving a lot of hi-hat and snare interplay. Please don't recommend staple bands like Morbid Angel, Death or even lesser known, but still of high status, like Nocturnus or Demilich. I want hidden diamonds in the ruff, bands that released one album or even demos only (not strict on this).

If I'm being too specific, or not clear enough, the first few seconds of each of these songs should give a little insight into what I'm looking for:

Jumpin Jesus

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230 ... 290  Next