Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for obscure, lo-fi black metal. Not just any noisy black metal band. I need ritualistic, black metal that sounds out one way or another.
May it be through hypnotising vocals, enchanting riffs, sounding like a ritual; you get it. I hope.

No one?

Recluse - Stillbirth in Bethlehem
It's comparable to a demon summoning ritual or some other fucked up shit, at least that's how I felt when I first listened to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWVY4Uhmw4

Hguols
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:38 pm 

So, I was scouring YouTube for some new music to buy. I wanted some intense and raw black metal - I don't care where it comes from or what they talk about. Some keys are ok, but nothing that sounds like a music box party or belongs in an "atmospheric" sub-genre. (don't get me wrong, I like symphonic stuff, but sometimes, I need something straight forward and guitar driven)

Its been a while since I've looked for new music and I figured I'd look and see what 2017 and the last half of 2016 had to offer.

Is it me, or does every intense black metal release sound like it came from a stagnant pond?

Previewing 2016-2017 album after album, it seems like everything I listened to was one of the following:
- Had amazing drums, but the guitarwork was one dimensional and boring. (like old repetitive death metal played higher on the fretboard)
- Had amazing guitars, but the drummer sounded like they struggled or the drum machine was goofy.
- Claimed to be black metal, but had bouts of weird folk/gothic/operatic bellowing
- Sloppy. What the heck? And you're signed? Come on fellas. The instruments need to play together.
- Sloppy mix. I'm all for a dirty sound, but when that goofy guitar lead drops everything else out, nope.
- The first 50% to 75% of every song makes me think the CD belongs more in the New Age section than the Metal section
- One song is blistering black metal, exactly what I'm looking for and the next track is... rock?
- Black and roll. Black and doom. Black and something else slow.
- Black and thrash which really just sounds like thrash with black vocals.
- Poor song structure. ie: awesome riff the first 8 times I hear it, but the next 8, nope.

I found one ALBUM that fit what I was looking for, and its available for preorder. Not only is the rest of their discography some of the junk I mentioned above, but its on a major record label. Since when is awesome underground black metal not on an awesome underground black metal label?

I want intense drums, filled to the brim with blasts. Wall of sound guitars that play dark melodies. CONSISTENT tracks without lots of gawd awful filler. The band you recommend should sound like they love Dark Funeral.

It shouldn't be that hard to ask for - tons of bands from the late 90's did it. It just really seems to me that this new music is like getting handed a glass of water that a room full of people have already drank out of.

Anyone know of anything that's been released in the last year that I would like?
I know I'm being picky here. HAHA!! Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:41 pm 

Hguols wrote:
Is it me, or does every intense black metal release sound like it came from a stagnant pond?

It's just you, but only because you seem to have missed Death Fortress's new album.

Also, go to fucking Quebec.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:08 pm 

@Hguols

Some of my favorite stuff from the last year, and 2017 that I think you might like are:

Author - Lopun alku (first album just came out)
Murg - Gudatall (and their album from 2015 is amazing)
Eternal Alchemist - Demon Summoning (sounds like a rawer version of Sargeist)
Antaeus - Condemnation (You've maybe heard this one, chaotic, raw and brutal)
Sekhmet - Spiritual Eclipse (Very overlooked, very aggressive)
Draugsol - Volaða land (More of a mixture than straight black metal, but really good)
Convulsing - Errata (Black/Death fairly technical, evil and riffy)
Forgjord - Uhripuu (not released yet, but should be raw and ugly)

Hguols
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:16 pm 

Oh hell yeah. Death Fortress is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I'd heard some of that new Author. Its good, but it didn't quite blow me away.
I'll have to check out the rest.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:31 pm 

Forgot about the new Djevel album too, if you haven't heard it. I need to listen to Death Fortress apparently.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:45 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Forgot about the new Djevel album too, if you haven't heard it. I need to listen to Death Fortress apparently.

Here is another new one for you to enjoy Sick6Six, more Swedish goodness ;)

https://daphelium.bandcamp.com/releases

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:53 pm 

@ Hgouls

Try the new Arkona album (not that one, the TRUE Arkona from Poland :) ). I found it a pretty killer album personally. In places it reminds me of Mayhem 'De Mysteriis...' mixed with Dissection. I hope it is to your liking.

https://dmp666.bandcamp.com/album/lunaris

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 am 

seriously: why listen to lunaris if you have imperium, zeta reticuli and the demos to listen to? just because it's recent? sounds cliché, but old arkona > new arkona by miles.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:25 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
seriously: why listen to lunaris if you have imperium, zeta reticuli and the demos to listen to? just because it's recent? sounds cliché, but old arkona > new arkona by miles.

A simple answer if you read his post, the OP is looking albums released in the past year... ;)

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:23 pm 

I did read it, and I wasn't addressing you at all. ;) OP seemed like a weird request to me personally.

actually, the longer I've been delving deeply into black metal, the less I keep up to date with new releases. the only recent release I can wholeheartedly recommend is the new warloghe EP (not really what OP was looking for though, I guess)
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:29 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
I did read it, and I wasn't addressing you at all. ;) OP seemed like a weird request to me personally.

actually, the longer I've been delving deeply into black metal, the less I keep up to date with new releases. the only recent release I can wholeheartedly recommend is the new warloghe EP (not really what OP was looking for though, I guess)

No worries at all mate. Funnily enough the last few years I have been listening to less of the older albums , forever searching for those new future classics! I must admit the last year or so personally for me has been awesome!

Thoth Amon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:33 pm 

STORMM wrote:
No worries at all mate. Funnily enough the last few years I have been listening to less of the older albums , forever searching for those new future classics! I must admit the last year or so personally for me has been awesome!

This last year I've really discovering alot of "new" black metal bands. Or at least new to me.

Epic black/thrash.

FearAbsentia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:58 am 

I'm looking for some more black metal on the thrash-y, melodic, or old-school end. Any recommendations? Here's a list of my favorites:

Absu
Melechesh
Satyricon (Volcano especially)
Dissection
Immortal
Samael
Astarte (Demonized especially)
Oblomov

Metal is forever!

EpitomeOfPantalgia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:13 pm 

FearAbsentia wrote:
I'm looking for some more black metal on the thrash-y, melodic, or old-school end. Any recommendations? Here's a list of my favorites:

Absu
Melechesh
Dissection
Immortal
Samael
Oblomov

You might like Noctes' Pandemonic Requiem.

FearAbsentia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:49 am 

^Thanks, I'll check it out.

Metal is forever!

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:39 pm 

I repeat my request for bands similar to Graveland (Fire Chariot of Destruction-era onwards.)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:52 am 

IamDBR wrote:
I am looking for obscure, lo-fi black metal. Not just any noisy black metal band. I need ritualistic, black metal that sounds out one way or another.
May it be through hypnotising vocals, enchanting riffs, sounding like a ritual; you get it. I hope.

No one?[/quote]
Recluse - Stillbirth in Bethlehem
It's comparable to a demon summoning ritual or some other fucked up shit, at least that's how I felt when I first listened to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWVY4Uhmw4[/quote]

Hated it, sorry. Also, any black metal band that uses immature lyrics using words like "faggot", puts me off. So childish.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:37 pm 

Lowtide85 wrote:
I repeat my request for bands similar to Graveland (Fire Chariot of Destruction-era onwards.)

The most recent Nokturnal Mortum is similar to this. You may also consider checking out a recent Countess album if you are interested in something more stripped down and trad metal influenced.

Last edited by ~Guest 226319 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:42 pm 

FearAbsentia wrote:

Absu
Melechesh
Dissection
Immortal
Samael
Oblomov

There's the first Holocausto for something primitive and thrashy, the first Infernum for something more melodic and old school, the first Therion for something more painful, and the first Aura Noir for something more fun.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:49 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello, I am looking for obscure, lo-fi black metal. Not just any noisy black metal band. I need ritualistic, black metal that sounds out one way or another. May it be through hypnotising vocals, enchanting riffs, sounding like a ritual; you get it. I hope.

I hope you like laughing:

Jewicide fits the bill: https://youtu.be/8wkdakUo97Y?t=1m16s
Xenophobia too: https://youtu.be/Zrqp1RyePqE?t=15m10s

:lol: That was fun.

For actually good recommendations, Ithdabquth Qliphoth's "Fyre Walk with Me" and Nastrond's "Muspellz Synir" are full of hypnotic riffs while also being very dynamic and original (IQ has solos, Nastrond is "bouncy", and etc). For aggressively simple ritualistic metal, you can always try the "sounds like ildjarn" tag on last.fm.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:33 pm 

For ritualistic, hypnotizing stuff... do you know Njiqahdda?

p.s. Much of their stuff is very hard to come by and I'm selling a bunch of their CDs so if you're interested... send me a PM. :)

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:49 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello,

Hello there. I definitely recommend you check out Necromantic Worship, from the Netherlands. Both demos are great!

UnknownBlasphemer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:12 pm 

FearAbsentia wrote:

Absu
Melechesh
Dissection
Immortal
Samael
Oblomov

If you are fan of 90s style melodic black metal you might find this interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bWLQKl47_c

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:00 pm 

UnknownBlasphemer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bWLQKl47_c

Yes, I'm sure your band ranks right up there with Samael and Immortal. :P

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:32 am 

FearAbsentia wrote:

Absu
Melechesh
Dissection
Immortal
Samael
Oblomov

Zemial's Nykta leans very heavily on the thrash metal end. Very out there, could be seen as a more mellow version of Absu, but way more atmospheric.

FearAbsentia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:30 am 

^Thanks for the links, I really loved those songs. I'm going to have to listen to the whole thing, is the rest of Zemial's stuff similar?

Metal is forever!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:34 am 

While you're at it, you should check out Ravencult.

Morbid Blood

Snakes Crawl

My collection

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:48 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Jewicide fits the bill: https://youtu.be/8wkdakUo97Y?t=1m16s

It's a real shame the good-sounding guitar tone is buried under horrible production, idiotic riffs, and "don't wanna wake up my mom" vocals.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 pm 

This is kind of a broad request, but I've been digging Behexen's By the Blessing of Satan lately, and love that the prominence of the bass in the mix adds a lot to the nastiness of the sound of the album. So can anyone recommend some aggressive black metal with upfront bass? I'm looking for loudness more than anything. I'm not concerned with flashy playing or anything.

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:13 am 

battle_axes wrote:
This is kind of a broad request, but I've been digging Behexen's By the Blessing of Satan lately, and love that the prominence of the bass in the mix adds a lot to the nastiness of the sound of the album. So can anyone recommend some aggressive black metal with upfront bass? I'm looking for loudness more than anything. I'm not concerned with flashy playing or anything.

I can't think of anything that explodes out of the speakers like the album you just mentioned, but as far as prominence goes there's Marduk's Opus Nocturne, Dodheimsgard's Kronet til konge, and Carpathian Forest's Black Shining Leather. Anything buy Countess will work to. None of these match the intensity of that Behexen album though.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:56 am 

^^ I appreciate the recommendations. While it ticks all the boxes, the Marduk album just doesn't hit the spot somehow. Maybe I'm looking for something more distorted? (I don't play an instrument or know anything about music, so it's tough to describe what I want.) The Dodheimsgard and Carpathian Forest albums are spectacular though. I feel like what I'm looking for is the intensity of the former mixed with the sound of the latter, but each album is excellent anyway. I haven't given Countess a go yet.

You're right, though, nothing really throws it down your throat like that Behexen album. By the way, if there are other Behexen albums with a similar sound, let me know. I only have the one I mentioned and the split with Horna.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:16 am 

Impious Havoc's Infidels has a loud, warm bass sound. However, compared to Behexen's blistering intensity, it trudges at a crawling pace.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 am 

Impaled Nazarene's Latex Cult had a loud and very raw bass tone, and it's incredibly intense and aggressive.. you may like that! :)

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 am 

battle_axes wrote:

Check out Barathrum, especially "Saatana". They have three basses.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:25 pm 

battle_axes wrote:

This is one of my favorite albums lately, it's fairly raw and ugly like earlier Behexen without the "overbearing" treble, has crushing headbanging riffs and I think the bass is quite prominent. Everyone should check these guys out.
https://urzeit.bandcamp.com/

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:41 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
This is one of my favorite albums lately, it's fairly raw and ugly like earlier Behexen without the "overbearing" treble, has crushing headbanging riffs and I think the bass is quite prominent. Everyone should check these guys out.
https://urzeit.bandcamp.com/

Motherfuck this is some gnarly shit right here. :headbang:

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:42 pm 

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone! I'm a bit busy the next few days, but I hope I can get to listening to those albums by the weekend.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:05 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Motherfuck this is some gnarly shit right here. :headbang:

My thoughts exactly! I'm trying to listen to a lot of new stuff lately, but I just end up playing this album instead. It's seriously fucking perfect :thumbsup:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:11 pm 

Yeah, this is awesome! I actually never even gave this a shot before out of pure prejudice - I thought that Mizmor album was pretty dull/not really my thing, and for some reason I just assumed a collab between Mizmor guy and Ash Borer dudes would be super bland. Glad to find out I'm wrong!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 231  Next