Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:53 am 

I need more music like this. Super catchy riffing, upbeat drums, bad quality. Any recs?

Frostpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:08 am 

STORMM wrote:
Frostpunk wrote:
Hello, I posted this thread already apparently on the wrong board. But I'm quite unused to these forums

I'm looking for some traditional medieval black metal. By that I mean not something like summoning or not something with cletic instruments but rather metal with stereotypical medieval music. When you think of knights and epic fights for example "hardcore middle ages party" on youtube but mixed with metal. With instruments such as a lute a harpsichord etc. Not really like king diamon, a bit more traditional.

Are you familiar with Nerthus Frostpunk? If not they should be exactly what you are looking for, Black Medieval Art is probably their most popular release.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nerthus/5279

This request also screams out Jaldaboath (if you dont mind a bit of comedy) but they are not black metal so may not be to your liking.

This is not bad at all, maybe a bit similar to viking metal but definitely different. Certainly has something in it I never heard before thanks for the share! And now that you talk about Jaldaboath, though it's not black metal the medieval music is exactly what I mean like the intro from "Warrior Monks of Whitehawk".

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:58 am 

Commandaunt wrote:
I need more music like this. Super catchy riffing, upbeat drums, bad quality. Any recs?

I thought I was the only one who ever heard this EP, I love it, wish they would make more music. I can't think of much off the top of my head besides some old Moontower stuff, Sacrificium Carmen's first demo and... I'll have to look through my collection again.
? sort of

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:17 pm 

Noenum is fucking awesome. Finland just wins hard almost every time when it comes to black metal for me. Especially when it comes to creating cold and raw atmospheres. Can't think of anything too similar though. Sorry dude!

However, I'm (once again) looking for more super evil, disgusting, vile sounding black metal.

Also, has any one else listened to the new Taake album? Fucking incredible! I'd love to find more bands that really try to stretch outside of the traditional second wave riffs without being labeled "experimental". Yellow Eyes are another band that do that achieve this, but I'd really be into finding something new.

As always, no NS/racist/nationalist bullshit. There's no room in my collection for fascist scum.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:27 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:

Reminds me a bit of Soter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUg3yR1PN8

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:48 pm 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Commandaunt wrote:

Reminds me a bit of Soter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUg3yR1PN8

I love Noenum too and am on a never-ending quest to find music half as good. A few decent comparisons (some obvious maybe) are Sargeist, Satanic Warmaster, Bilskirnir, some Horna.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:18 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:
I need more music like this. Super catchy riffing, upbeat drums, bad quality. Any recs

Would the awsome Virvatulet meet your request, they also hail from Finland :) Just wish they had more material to offer :(

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:44 pm 

OK, so I was listening to Rotting Christ and got a bit curious about Thou Art Lord, which I admittedly never heard before. Any pointers as to where to begin with the band?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:51 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:

You may be already familiar with them, but the first band I thought of was Moonblood. They definitely have some of the upbeat, triumphant feel, with catchy, sometimes almost rock'n'roll style riffing, and of course, raw-as-shit production.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:10 pm 

androdion wrote:
OK, so I was listening to Rotting Christ and got a bit curious about Thou Art Lord, which I admittedly never heard before. Any pointers as to where to begin with the band?

I only have the vinyl of their latest album ('The Regal Pulse of Lucifer') but it's quite a good one. Definitely recommended if you like thrashy black metal.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:17 pm 

Virvatulet is nice!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:37 am 

Commandaunt wrote:
I need more music like this. Super catchy riffing, upbeat drums, bad quality. Any recs? (Noenum . Cult of the Black Sun)

Prevalent Resistance is pretty similar. Start with Dynamics of Creation, of course. Also check out anything by Cosmic Church before the full-length, especially the demos.

Also might fit the bill:
Sarkrista
Nattfog (the drums actually are quite upbeat)
Sielunvihollinen

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:28 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
androdion wrote:

I only have the vinyl of their latest album ('The Regal Pulse of Lucifer') but it's quite a good one. Definitely recommended if you like thrashy black metal.

Heard the album on BC, yeah it's good stuff. :)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:05 am 

androdion wrote:
Hey Stormm, did you happen to check out Aurvandil's Thrones? Man, that album has really grown on me, to the point where I'm thinking it's better than Yearning! It's more mature in terms of dynamics but it does take a few spins to sink in.

For those who care I'll leave the full album stream link here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... s-thrones/

Don't listen to the leaked version that's floating around, it's the tape rip and it sounds like shit!

Clicking with me alot more now drodi, that link is def alot better and you can really hear the bass. Summon the Storms is a beast of a track. Physical copy might be in the pipeline.... :thumbsup:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:13 am 

Yeah Moonblood also came to mind for me I just always assume everyone already knows them for some reason. Also what Ilwhyan said, I just already recced some of that stuff to death. Also if anyone wants some good BM to review for the challenge I have a nice list of virgin albums and even bands with large discographies and 0-2 reviews total. Send me a PM if you want some suggestions, don't think I have the time or drive to write any this week :/

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:20 pm 

androdion wrote:

First album Eosforos is a true classic in greek black metal. First 7" Diabolou Archaes Legeones is basically the be-all-end-all of the old Greek black metal sound from Molon Lave/Storm Studio. As someone suggested Regal Pulse, well it might be well produced but that's about it. It's not the Thou Art Lord that I know.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:40 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:

Plaga :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:53 pm 

ancientorder wrote:
androdion wrote:

First album Eosforos is a true classic in greek black metal. First 7" Diabolou Archaes Legeones is basically the be-all-end-all of the old Greek black metal sound from Molon Lave/Storm Studio. As someone suggested Regal Pulse, well it might be well produced but that's about it. It's not the Thou Art Lord that I know.

I think I get what you mean by that. What I've heard I liked though, so I guess I'll start from Regal Pulse and work my way backwards from there. But I'll be sure to check out Eosforos then. ;)

STORMM wrote:
androdion wrote:
Hey Stormm, did you happen to check out Aurvandil's Thrones? Man, that album has really grown on me, to the point where I'm thinking it's better than Yearning! It's more mature in terms of dynamics but it does take a few spins to sink in.

For those who care I'll leave the full album stream link here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... s-thrones/

Don't listen to the leaked version that's floating around, it's the tape rip and it sounds like shit!

Clicking with me alot more now drodi, that link is def alot better and you can really hear the bass. Summon the Storms is a beast of a track. Physical copy might be in the pipeline.... :thumbsup:

Yeah, the bass is really audible on the CD version, and there isn't any kind of crackling or any of those analogue noises. It sounds miles above the tape version! The CD sounds pretty much like the streaming but with better definition (i.e. clarity), although the production is purposely raw and almost "hissy" (but without any real hiss that is). The master volume is also low so you need to pump it up a notch, but it sounds great! It kind of reminds me of the production on Das Tor if it was a bit more polished.

If you decide to purchase it talk with JB at Cold Void Emanations. It's his band and he's super cool. Got my copies of Ferd, Yearning and Thrones from him.

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:

Maybe Sahar from France. I love the riffs in the song "The King's Dying".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAUkDCnUe4

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:50 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Yeah Moonblood also came to mind for me I just always assume everyone already knows them for some reason. Also what Ilwhyan said, I just already recced some of that stuff to death. Also if anyone wants some good BM to review for the challenge I have a nice list of virgin albums and even bands with large discographies and 0-2 reviews total. Send me a PM if you want some suggestions, don't think I have the time or drive to write any this week :/

I can't help but feel I recommend 3-5 from a list of 15 same bands every time. :lol:

triciadellgrime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:52 am 

Thanks for all these great band suggestions in this thread! <3

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:15 pm 

^ @triciadellgrime Anytime!
^^ @Ilwhyan no kidding, sounds like we need some new material even though i already got some 200 bands in my library!

oh btw the new Satanic Warmaster is sounding quite good, giving it my first full listen right now. It sounds nothing like previous material at all really. Could probably do without keyboard in some parts, but they are used tastefully and sparingly enough. I will definitely be listening to this more.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:00 pm 

If anyone is looking raw black metal Pirunkultti from Finland are well worth checking out
pirunkultti.bandcamp.com :)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:31 pm 

@ androdion Thanks for the tip bud :thumbsup: I will get round to ordering from him.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:50 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
Commandaunt wrote:

Plaga :)

Listening to the title track from 'Magia...' right now, good stuff. Almost reminds me of a less raw/weird Cultes des Ghoules.

triciadellgrime wrote:
Thanks for all these great band suggestions in this thread! <3

Seconded. Probably enough recs to last me months, if not years. :)

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:49 am 

Plaga are definitely an awesome rec.

I know this request might be a little hard, but do any of you know of good active chilean bands? I tried searching but came up with way too many bands and I just can't listen one by one.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:25 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, it just didn't seem right for the black metal thread. I was looking for some bands similar to Wolves in the throne room - celestial

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:21 pm 

Ash Borer, Woman Is the Earth, maybe some Blut Aus Nord (e.g. 'Dialogue With the Stars')...

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:56 pm 

lowtide85 wrote:
do any of you know of good active chilean bands?

Thy Antichrist, off the top of my head, although they haven't released much of anything in recent years.

Pentagram Chile (they actually changed their name to that) released a good "comeback" album pretty recently.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:29 pm 

Well, on the archives it says that Pentagram are Death/Thrash Metal but will check them anyways. As for Thy Antichrist I'll give them a listen since their only record has a good review. Thanks a lot!

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:18 pm 

From Chile, I suggest Hades Archer (Black Thrash) and Wrathprayer (Black/Death). Also Depressive BM bands Black Void and Howling Pain

AquarianUmbralnaut
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:54 am 

Commandaunt wrote:

A couple songs off of Falkenbach's first album come to mind

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:56 am 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Well, on the archives it says that Pentagram are Death/Thrash Metal

True, but they date from a time when the various genres of extreme metal were still in somewhat embryonic form, and hadn't fully differentiated themselves. Hence why Pentagram Chile are considered an important early influence on both death and black metal, especially in South America.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:08 am 

Black metal in the vein of Windir? I know Mistur and such!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:22 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Black metal in the vein of Windir? I know Mistur and such!

Just incase you have not covered all from that area, did you mean you already know Sigtyr, Feigd and Cor Scorpii? Windir are and have always been one of my absolute favourite bands but sadly there is very few other bands doing this style to be honest. Some reviews mention Windir as an influence on the excellent Ifing debut so you could try that. Also check out Galar especially the debut.

France's Vindland have a very clear Windir influences but good luck tracking it down :( These guys were showing so much promise in this style but fell silent after the release of the below. I really hope to hear more from them someday.

Enjoy.

Last edited by STORMM on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:24 pm 

Haven't been able to find a suitable discussion on Fen anywhere else.
This is not a crying for help, this is a question to anybody if you consider normal a limited edition of 5 (FIVE) copies of the wooden box of the latest Fen CD
5 Copies? Who do they own them? Only the band members themselves, I guess. I miss the real meaning of such a thing

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:29 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:

try all you can find out of
BEKHIRA
SAPTHURAN
DESOLATION TRIUMPHALIS
and things like these

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 am 

I'm getting deeper into German black metal, especially inpired by bands like early Todtgelichter, Geïst/Eïs, Wolfsmond and some others. Any recommendations in that style? Dramatic and strongly melancholic, but powerful. Not limp-wristed like dsbm, but really aggressive, while melancholic at the same time.

Todtgelichter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDYA_jKDRU
Non-German similar: Verge

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:47 pm 

I don't recall ever listening to those German bands you posted, maybe Wolfsmond, that Todtgelichter sounds promising as well and I will check out the others...

I'm sure you know of the long defunct Nagelfar from Germany? Can't think of anything that obscure at the moment besides like Permafrost, Paria, Katharsis, Odal and Luror. Last 2 probably not what you are looking for and I'm sure you already know most of those. Also you've seen me rec Zorn a million times, but dunno if you ever got around to them :) Still one of my favorite German bands with a very extreme attitude. Here's a few awesome tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koKN6vyyCwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgVG0e3FoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9ew0Y-uHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIF40enP1yg

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:59 pm 

Zorn sounds a bit like Wolfsmond, though possibly Polished up slightly. I don't know why I've never listened to them, maybe because the name makes me think of John Zorn? :P

I also haven't listened to Paria or Permafrost (I think the latter shared labels with Wolfsmond at some point). Todtgelichter's early style is pretty instrumental to my request though. The first riff of the song I posted is pretty simplistic, obviously, and the second one is more like what I'm looking for.

I'm finally going to cast away my misgivings and check out Nocte Obducta.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 231  Next