Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:01 am 

Arrggh, finally Mansion's third EP, "Uncreation", has arrived. It's by far their doomiest material yet. I remember them playing "Divining Rod" (fourth track on the EP) at Muskelrock. Crushing stuff, could not stop banging my head to those riffs. Released very late in the year but I am certain this will end up on my best of 2014 list. Somewhere high.

The tongue-in-cheek member application form for Mansion Congregation that was included is pretty funny. Although Kartanoism is no laughing matter, you heathens. Wrote it down for those who are interested, because I don't think many of you will buy this release for different reasons.

Spoiler: show
I, [your name], accept One God, His Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit in my heart and as a part of my life. I accept the teachings of the Holy Mother Alma Kartano as my Divine Guidance on this earthly path. I will join the Congregation with the intention to leave my old life behind. I will dedicate my life to follow the teachings of the Holy Mother Alma Kartano. I will drink the Blood of the Son and eat His Flesh to recognize my Faith. I will renounce carnal thoughts and deeds. I will only recognize the family of the Holy Mother. I will renounce friends and relatives from my old life. I will take part in the Altar Sermon. I will accept any punishment to reconcile my sinful actions. I will renounce all social activity outside the Fold. I will convert or condemn the heathen. As a member of the Congregation I look forward to the Judgement Day, which will send me on my Journey towards the Light.

Photo dress code: Black turtleneck or collar shirt fully buttoned. No make-up or piercings. Hair tied or combed down. No smiling.

So c'mon, Tony. Dress up, take a pic and send it to Mansion! You know you want to. No smiling.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:18 pm 

I now need a turtleneck! Pretty good candidate for doom album of the year!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

heavyrocks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:53 pm 

Anyone know of any doom bands with lyrics about Tolkien? Like the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit and all that.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:52 pm 

Hopefully we see a slew of applications in the photo thread.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:08 am 

heavyrocks wrote:
Anyone know of any doom bands with lyrics about Tolkien? Like the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit and all that.

Olórin from Illinois.

Then there's this beast of a track.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:52 pm 

I'm currently looking for doom that is heavy on the Christian religious themes/imagery. I think this is one area of metal that works well with Christian themes, they lend themselves to that immense, portentous and solemn feel. Revelation's "Salvation's Answer" and Griftegård's "Solemn, Sacred, Severe" are prime examples of what I'm looking for. I quite liked Pÿlon, but the poor vocals spoilt it for me. I'm fully familiar with Solitude Aeturnus and Trouble, and I don't like epic stuff like Candlemass. Not keen on anything too far into stoner, sludge or epic territory. Just slow, solemn, churchy doom.

Anything to suggest?

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:05 am 

^ Pantheist perhaps, especially their last s/t album. They even shot the video for "Be Here" inside a church.

Cross Vault's lyrical theme may not revolve around Christianity, more on the introspective side of things but they create a very solemn church-like atmosphere.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:44 am 

doomster999 wrote:
...Pantheist perhaps...
...Cross Vault...

Cheers, both of those weren't bad, and I can see how they do fulfil what I described. Both were a bit too melodic for my tastes however, but thanks for the suggestions. Anyone got anything else?

I think Griftegård's sense of crushing Biblical power and judgement is what I'm after here.

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:55 am 

^ If melodic isn't quite your cup of tea and if you're after the crushing nature of Griftegard then Fall of the Idols is right up your alley.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:20 pm 

You're right, Fall of the Idols is up my alley -- "The Seance" is one of my favourite doom albums! Strangely, I don't get much of a religious feeling from them though, at least not in an overt way. Thanks again for your efforts, I do appreciate it.

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:52 pm 

balbulus wrote:
You're right, Fall of the Idols is up my alley -- "The Seance" is one of my favourite doom albums! Strangely, I don't get much of a religious feeling from them though, at least not in an overt way. Thanks again for your efforts, I do appreciate it.

Anytime man. :) And yea, they're not overtly religious but in a more introspective metaphorical way I guess.

Last.fm

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:43 pm 

Hello folks. I'm in the mood for some new good melodic traditional doom metal. What I'm looking for is something that has some emotion to it but avoids putting you to sleep with constant wall-of-distortion dirge but instead relies on melody just as much as pure atmosphere.

If it sounds like the Wounded Kings, chances are it's going to have trouble keeping my attention. I like Dawn of Winter however, so that should be a good example of what I'm looking for.

Epic doom is fine, but I find that much of that genre lacks in quality nowadays. Most new bands I hear that get labelled as "epic doom" aren't really that great.

Extreme doom and sludge aren't really what I'm after here.

I've heard most of the obvious stuff, so more obscure recs are appreciated.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:47 pm 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:
good melodic traditional doom metal.
more obscure recs are appreciated.

Well then, Semlah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-1ZaUi3_g4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNRmfir2puA

dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:20 am 

Looking for some mid-tempo, bass heavy, mainly instrumental doom. Basically sounds like a jam session. The key is a steady rhythm, little variation.

A 50 min version of Third Mind here would be amazing:
https://inthecompanyofserpentsdoom.band ... g-in-light

This would be perfect to get into a deep trance. Dopesmoker is obvious similarity to what I need but other stuff would be nice.

Jam sessions may be good. Thanks

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:42 pm 

Well, I'm looking for the heaviest sounding stuff that still has a groove. Any ideas?

dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:25 pm 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Well, I'm looking for the heaviest sounding stuff that still has a groove. Any ideas?

Beast in the field
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW0gpC16DE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-z-QkMic4

https://sleepbringer.bandcamp.com/album/residuum track: Witness of the Stars

https://inthecompanyofserpentsdoom.band ... g-in-light track: Thrid Man

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:09 pm 

dragonclaw7 wrote:

Pretty good stuff. I just wish it was about a quarter of the speed.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:10 pm 

dragonclaw7 wrote:
Looking for some mid-tempo, bass heavy, mainly instrumental doom. Basically sounds like a jam session. The key is a steady rhythm, little variation.

A 50 min version of Third Mind here would be amazing:
https://inthecompanyofserpentsdoom.band ... g-in-light

This would be perfect to get into a deep trance. Dopesmoker is obvious similarity to what I need but other stuff would be nice.

Jam sessions may be good. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yCzN7pPQHE ?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:23 pm 

Methinks some of you who listen to Warning and bands of similar ilk will like The Temple - As Once Was. I know I do. Ordered the CD tonight. But another "Footprints" cover so soon after Cross Vault's? I know it was Warning's "big hit" but ughh...

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:58 pm 

For those who enjoy Funeral - Tragedies as much as I do, I've found the band Paradigma and their sole album 'Mare Veris' is somewhat similar. Not really funeral doom, but death/doom with a fairly similar atmosphere and beastly growls combined with tasteful female clean vocals. Had been into Black Lodge for awhile due to their similarity to Tragedies, and found this band under the similar artists for Black Lodge. If you like any of the aforementioned bands/albums, check out the others, they're all fantastic and in a relatively similar vein.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
For those who enjoy Funeral - Tragedies as much as I do, I've found the band Paradigma and their sole album 'Mare Veris' is somewhat similar. Not really funeral doom, but death/doom with a fairly similar atmosphere and beastly growls combined with tasteful female clean vocals. Had been into Black Lodge for awhile due to their similarity to Tragedies, and found this band under the similar artists for Black Lodge. If you like any of the aforementioned bands/albums, check out the others, they're all fantastic and in a relatively similar vein.

Ditto on The Slow Death and Unholy's album Gracefallen.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:28 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
But another "Footprints" cover so soon after Cross Vault's? I know it was Warning's "big hit" but ughh...

Personally, I'm waiting for the singer/songwriter style cover of Footprints. Then it will all have come full circle.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:10 am 

I just discovered ex-Church of Misery guitarist Thomas Sutton (Houses of the Unholy album, a slew of other releases) is in a new doom metal band called The Order of Israfel, and they put out an album called Wisdom last summer. I was hoping it would sound similar to Church of Misery, but when I looked at the similar artists tab, not only was Church of Misery not there, the ones that were are Cathedral, Count Raven, and Lord Vicar. Whoa! I listened to the album, and the closest thing to Church of Misery rifffage in it is the riff that comes in at about 1:13 in this video for the title track, and that's it. On the whole, the album is pretty quality (though not amazing) traditional doom metal, with some nice low and mournful acoustic sections (such as with the beginning of the clip I posted) and some guitar harmonies. The vocals are handled by Sutton, and he does a good job. His vocals definitely don't sound professional, but it works. All in all, I recommend it. Just don't expect anything stoner or Church of Misery like.

Xithyl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:50 am 

I'd love any recommendations in the vein of Kyuss, QotSA and especially Mondo Generator's first record ('Cocaine Rodeo').

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:59 pm 

Have you heard Truckfighters? Not on M-A because they're more stoner rock than stoner metal, but they're definitely playing in the Kyuss/QotSTA tradition.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:05 am 

Xithyl wrote:
I'd love any recommendations in the vein of Kyuss, QotSA and especially Mondo Generator's first record ('Cocaine Rodeo').

You're familiar with Slo Burn's Amusing the Amazing EP I reckon. Apart from them Sigiriya, Fu Manchu, Colour Haze (for more psychedelic side of things like "Space Cadet"), The Mushroom River Band, Freedom Hawk etc.

Last.fm

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:13 pm 

Are there any particularly good epic doom styled bands with a gothic type of singer? As a big fan of both I'm kinda curious.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 pm 

The Hyle from Denmark. The riffs and lyrics remind me of Electric Wizard but the production and vocals remind me of early Pallbearer. Weird. Especially the last song, "Children of the Divine", sounds like a combination of the two bands. Who knew this would become a thing? I'm not complaining though, the sound has potential if they keep at it. But right now they're aping EW too much in the riffing department.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:20 pm 

Hey guys !

I'm trying to find information about a Canadian epic power/doom band going by the name of Heretic. They are listed in the archives but I can't find a trace or any samples online. Does anyone know how this sounds? Is it worth chasing?

Thanks in advance for any info !

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:54 pm 

Does anyone have slow, crushing, epic doom with clean vocals? I'm looking for something like "The Self Made Man" by Opium Warlords, which is available on spotify. I would prefer riff centric.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:32 am 

For the Kyuss rec, I'd like to second Sigiriya, especially their first album. Truck Fighters are cool, too. Yawning Man would also be a good place to look. Unida (which Garcia was in) is also pretty awesome. Honestly, there are probably more stoner rock/metal bands that have a Kyuss influence (at least to some degree) than bands that don't.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:43 am 

Abethedemon wrote:
Does anyone have slow, crushing, epic doom with clean vocals? I'm looking for something like "The Self Made Man" by Opium Warlords, which is available on spotify. I would prefer riff centric.

Is Sami Hynninen's previous band Reverend Bizarre too obvious? Since The Self-Made Man was originally supposed to be recorded by Reverend Bizarre with the title A Grave Among the Trees. It never happened, though, so it was saved for the Opium Warlords project. The debut album In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend would be a good place to start, if you somehow missed this band completely.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:56 am 

I'm curious to know if there are any doom bands that play in standard E tuning? Although I fully understand the concept of down-tuning to produce a deeper, darker sound, I also feel it shouldn't be a "requirement", and I personally feel it's an over-used trick in the metal scene.

I suspect some of the older classic and proto-doom bands might (some Sabbath stuff is, although Iommi did favour downtuning due to his severed fingertips), but I'd be especially interested to hear some more modern examples, especially of a more extreme style. I'm not too interested in the stoner side of things, either.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:22 pm 

Not sure where to post this but here's another new track by Crypt Sermon - http://www.guitarworld.com/crypt-sermon-premiere

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:49 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Are there any particularly good epic doom styled bands with a gothic type of singer? As a big fan of both I'm kinda curious.

Might not be exactly what you want, and you probably already know them, but what about My Dying Bride?

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:14 am 

shouvince wrote:
Not sure where to post this but here's another new track by Crypt Sermon - http://www.guitarworld.com/crypt-sermon-premiere

Wow! Seems they're getting a hell lot of coverage. :wink: Solid tune nonetheless.

Last.fm

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:51 am 

Looking for quality traditional or stoner doom that has come out in the past couple years (2013-2015). Preferably bands that a still together or maybe even on tour so I can see them live. Thanks.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:54 am 

doomster999 wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Wow! Seems they're getting a hell lot of coverage. :wink: Solid tune nonetheless.

Yeah, guitarworld, who'd have thunk it?! I enjoyed 'Heavy Riders' more than this. This song lacked the dynamism of the first song. I guess it all comes down to the riffs. Not complaining that much though as the excitement for the album overshadows these minor gripes.

doomster999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:51 am 

Attaboy! Monolord. That's more like it. :headbang:

https://soundcloud.com/easyriderrecords ... ng-the-one

Last.fm

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:07 am 

Opus wrote:
Cry_In_The_Night wrote:
good melodic traditional doom metal.
more obscure recs are appreciated.

Well then, Semlah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-1ZaUi3_g4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNRmfir2puA

I've listened to this a few times now, and it's really good. Lots of memorable riffs. Thanks for the rec.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 133  Next