Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:26 pm 

Anyone here know any stoner metal bands similar to the Deliverance-era Corrosion of Conformity?

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 am 

Oheao wrote:
Anyone here know any stoner metal bands similar to the Deliverance-era Corrosion of Conformity?

Orange Goblin is an obvious candidate.

Alabama Thunderpussy

Fireball Ministry

Freedom Hawk

Spiritual Beggars. Though a bit more psychedelic.

Red Fang

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

nekrokvlt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:36 am 

Looking for bands along the lines of Bongzilla and Goblin Cock. I am a fan of movie samples being used as well. Any recommendations are welcome.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:46 am 

I'm looking for albums like

Tiamat - skeleton skeletron

I kniw it's not stoner or sludge but.....

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:46 pm 

I'm looking for doom metal songs of all sub-genres that have an anthem-quality to them. Candlemass' Solitude is obviously one example of what I'm talking about. Here are some others.

Spoiler: show

Clean vocals preferred but not essential.

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:36 am 

^ Here are a few:

This song is a bit different and not quite traditionally doom metal but more of a lighter anthem.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:24 am 

nekrokvlt wrote:
Looking for bands along the lines of Bongzilla and Goblin Cock. I am a fan of movie samples being used as well. Any recommendations are welcome.

Beelzebong, Weedeater, Buzzov'en, Dopethrone etc etc etc etc. Endless list of every Stoned Goat/Weed Priest/Electric Bong/Space Witch/Dopepotbongghostweedthronegoats.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:10 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
But speaking of Candlemass worship that no one talks about...now playing: Doomocracy - The End Is Written. Or I'd rather call it Solitude Aeturnus worship (incl. some great Rob Lowe-ish vocals) with a dash of early Veni Domine. I keep coming back to this album. A surprisingly focused and refined debut by a bunch of unknowns from Crete. I hope these guys get some real attention instead of suffering a fate similar to Forsaken from Malta. Overlooked talent is a terrible thing.

Seconding all this and then some! I am really enjoying this album.

I'm glad to see the epic doom style being kept alive by bands like Doomocracy and Below.

It's a really good year for doom in general, IMO. Speaking of which... I'm about to give The Skull's "For Those Which Are Asleep" a first listen :-D

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:33 pm 

Riffs wrote:
I'm about to give The Skull's "For Those Which Are Asleep" a first listen

Really good release, and I will definitely buy it soon, but I still prefer Blackfinger's (mostly forgotten?) self-titled debut album from January this year. The Skull is more straightforward doom metal like '80s Trouble, whereas Blackfinger let's the '60s and '70s influences shine through more. Sort of like '90s Trouble did, ya know? Gives it more variety and it feels more inspired overall. But The Skull proves they haven't lost touch with metal. So yeah, that's two victories for Eric Wagner this year.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:57 pm 

Is it mini-modding of me to ask doomster999 to use spoilers for a list of more than one or two vids? If I'm the only one who cares, I'll deal.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:07 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Riffs wrote:
I'm about to give The Skull's "For Those Which Are Asleep" a first listen

Really good release, and I will definitely buy it soon, but I still prefer Blackfinger's (mostly forgotten?) self-titled debut album from January this year. The Skull is more straightforward doom metal like '80s Trouble, whereas Blackfinger let's the '60s and '70s influences shine through more. Sort of like '90s Trouble did, ya know?

Again, totally agree with you regarding Blackfinger ! It felt more... genuine ? Spontaneous ? It certainly felt like musicians playing where their heart and capabilities were.

With the Skull, I think you nailed it: It's basically a statement about trying to match the earlier, glorious Trouble material.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:48 pm 

No idea if this has been posted yet

I'm loving Spacefog because they really sound like a 1970s-era proto metal band.
Like these guys

What I mean by that is that, like Iron Claw, Spacefog has a really thick, high end buzzed guitar tone. I love it.

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Is it mini-modding of me to ask doomster999 to use spoilers for a list of more than one or two vids? If I'm the only one who cares, I'll deal.

I'll keep that in mind....

Last.fm

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:28 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:

I don't care.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:19 pm 

I'm now looking for a band that has a wall of sound, makes the music sound wide.
No Electric Wizard!

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:41 am 

^ Wall of sound eh!? excluding Electric Wizard? You got it:

Last.fm

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:57 am 

Mutterficker wrote:
I'm now looking for a band that has a wall of sound, makes the music sound wide.
No Electric Wizard!

Conan, Amenra, Thergothon, Skepticism, Whitehorse.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:56 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:

I don't care.

I'll also ask some description when you provide bands, always cooler than a list.

To answer Mutterfucker's request, check out Monolord, pretty awesome Swedish doom/stoner. Sure they worship EW but they do it well.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I'll also ask some description when you provide bands, always cooler than a list.

I usually provide description with the links (see the previous page for instance where shouvince asked for some of the good doom albums this year). For to the point requirements such as "CoC-esque bands" or bands with a "wall of sound" production I don't think there's much to describe. Ultimately, it's up to the listener. I can say that this sounds stellar or this is average or that is bad but he/she might think otherwise.

I'll second Monolord only in terms of production but their material didn't impress me. ThrashManiacAYD's review is quite neat. They sort of worship the fuzz of Sleep, YOB and EW but they repeat the same riff over and over with bit more gain or less gain. There's not much variation in their sound.

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 am 

Doomsday wrote:
androdion wrote:
So, is anyone besides me expecting the new Anguish album to land next month? Can't say that I've seen much noise being made around it.

Can't say I care much. Will give it a listen when the time comes but unless something has changed it will probably leave me indifferent. I'm okay with Candlemass worship and shitty vocals but for Anguish it hasn't worked out so well yet.

But speaking of Candlemass worship that no one talks about...now playing: Doomocracy - The End Is Written. Or I'd rather call it Solitude Aeturnus worship (incl. some great Rob Lowe-ish vocals) with a dash of early Veni Domine. I keep coming back to this album. A surprisingly focused and refined debut by a bunch of unknowns from Crete. I hope these guys get some real attention instead of suffering a fate similar to Forsaken from Malta. Overlooked talent is a terrible thing.

The new album is up for stream here - http://www.sputnikmusic.com/blog/2014/1 ... in-stream/

I'm just getting into it and I'm not really minding the vocals. It does stand out like a sore thumb though. The other aspects of the album are pretty stellar.

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:03 am 

Artwork for the upcoming Torche album Restarter. Very simple yet quite subtle. I like it better than the clusterfuck artwork of Harmonicraft.

Last.fm

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:41 pm 

^This is gonna suck hard. They are the worst sludge band I've ever come across

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:11 pm 

^ Definitely not one of the best. But I don't think they're one of the worst either. Hell, I don't even care if they're sludge or not. I'm not a big fan of Harmonicraft but Meanderthal has some incredibly catchy tunes.

Last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:10 pm 

Just a friendly reminder that Horn of the Rhino>you.

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:31 am 

^ Yea, that song is killer. And Javier even outperforms Chris Cornell. But overall, Summoning Deiverance isn't that great. The more death metal oriented and thrashy songs just don't do it for me. That's just not their forte imho.

Last.fm

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:12 pm 

I loved Summoning Deliverance, and I thought it was an improvement from their 2012 release as well. That said, Horn of the Rhino are one of relatively few bands where I genuinely like their entire output to at least some extent.

dystopia4 wrote:
Just a friendly reminder that Horn of the Rhino>you.

Yep. Javier's one of the best vocalists in metal as far as I'm concerned.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:37 pm 

shouvince wrote:
I'm just getting into it and I'm not really minding the vocals. It does stand out like a sore thumb though. The other aspects of the album are pretty stellar.

At least he tries something different on Mountain. On the debut he did an Attila Csihar type of thing, but this time he adopted a death/doom style. Works better, I think. But the music isn't very good. Getting a very robotic vibe, like the human element/emotion is missing. Also the production sounds flat as hell. Meh, enough whining from my part. Anguish just isn't for me. Sorry. :wink:

Looking forward to some new Acolytes of Moros material instead! The new songs I heard live last weekend sounded great! If anyone here is interested. androdion, I'm looking in your general direction...

Here's a short live clip. The end of the song "Venerate the Dead".

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:44 pm 

Sorry for being absent from this thread for a while, and my thanks to whoever listed the stream of Mountain above. Haven't had much time to properly listen to it, though I had it playing once or twice I just wasn't paying much attention to it. It's Christmas time and I work in retail, which means time and a fresh head are really scarce right now. Though I have to say I got the same death/doom vibe about the vocals, but I'll have to take a better listen at it.

New Acolytes Of Moros too? Nice! I really liked the debut EP, although the vocalist can be a bit overly dramatic at times. There are some instances on the EP were he seems to purposely venture off into out of tune territory, but somehow it doesn't really detract me from listening to it. I do hope that in the future he shows some restraint in that department. Any predictions for a debut album then?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:42 pm 

So I had to raid the kitchen after a movie session and my previous post here, and I ended up putting Mountain up for appreciation while I was at it. You know, as much as the album picked up a few interesting riffs and a nice couple of songs at the beginning my attention slowly started waning. Granted, I haven't given it much playing time so far, but the album sounded very much out of ideas. As if aping Candlemass' riffing/lead style was enough to make an album. I was far from impressed really, although again I say, there were some genuinely good moments there. I just though the transitions were kind of sloppy and ill put.

It will make or break the next few times I get to hear it in full, but so far it seems to be subpar when compared against the debut. Now to wash it off with Illusions Of Progress. :)

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:05 pm 

androdion wrote:
New Acolytes Of Moros too? Nice! I really liked the debut EP, although the vocalist can be a bit overly dramatic at times. There are some instances on the EP were he seems to purposely venture off into out of tune territory, but somehow it doesn't really detract me from listening to it. I do hope that in the future he shows some restraint in that department. Any predictions for a debut album then?

No shit. :-P One take and be done with it was his philosophy. Almost 5 years now and he's still uncomfortable singing clean vocals, even if it gets easier. Debut album, eh? We'll see what happens in 2015. The songs are more or less ready. 4 new tracks + 1 they haven't decided on yet. Could be a re-recording of the demo track "Lost Realms", a song I would love to hear again. They hope a label is willing to support them financially so they can record the album in a proper studio, to make everything sound as good as possible including the vocals. No more DIY with all the nail-biting and the hair-pulling. Anxiety overload. Buuuut right now they're just looking for a label to release their 12" split with Church of Void. Acolytes' contribution will be "The World Belongs to Demons", one of their oldest songs, with ideas quite similar to Reverend Bizarre's "Slave of Satan", hmm... yeah, I don't think anything on the potential debut album will be THAT obvious. Add some Never Comes Silence-era Revelation and early Burzum, and you get the Acolytes of Moros of today. Sort of like "Illusions of Progress", but more refined (and better!).

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:16 pm 

Ha ha, inside knowledge is always a funny thing! :D

I was checking their FB page and they do seem to be more focused on the split right now. Love that song by the way, it was the first song from them I checked at their BC page and I immediately liked it. Shame it's vinyl only because I'd dig having that one around me (CD only guy, what can I do...).

I never said this one out loud, but I always get an Autopsy vibe from the intro on the EP. And I actually like the kind of lo-fi production, gives it a bit of a rough charm actually. I sure hope they can get the funds to make it right, but this kind of sound they have on the EP is actually interesting and makes them stand out more against their partners in doom. Sure, I'd like a meatier guitar tone and a more driving bass presence, but the dreary feel of the (probably forced) production does work very well. I mean, "Reduced To Acquiescence" is almost 20 minutes long and I love it!

Not familiar with Revelation myself, but that genre tag is putting me off. I don't really think that doom and prog combine well to be honest.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:13 pm 

androdion wrote:
Not familiar with Revelation myself, but that genre tag is putting me off. I don't really think that doom and prog combine well to be honest.

Try "Salvation's Answer" if nothing else. Trad doom all the way. After that they tried to combine Black Sabbath with Rush. To glorious effect, if you ask me, it's one of my favorite bands ever, with four masterpieces in a row, but if you like trad doom to be traditional you're best bet is the debut. The title of the EP, "Illusions of Progress", aside from being a lame joke, is a nod to Revelation. The guitarist brings that Revelation influence, the bassist brings the Burzum influence, and both love Reverend Bizarre. That's how it goes. The more you know...

I don't mind the EP production either but I want something different, something meatier for the album. They've done their time in the garage. Time to move up in the world. I'm sure they know what they're doing. It'll be a natural, heavy sound! And the album will be more cohesive. More thought will be put into the arrangements and lyrics. The band's not too pleased with the EP in hindsight. Too quickly thrown together, to paraphrase them. "Reduced to Acquiescence" works best, and is actually the song people enjoy the most. "Frozen Landscape" could be revisited at some point. I think the song has a lot of potential but the EP version feels rushed.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:33 pm 

Checking out the title track and it's all kinds of cool, although the vocals may be a bit of a deal breaker for me. I'll have to listen to it further on and with a fresher head. The lead section reminded me somehow of Pagan Altar, but the riffing style seems based mainly around that trudging Candlemass style with a bit of a Black Sabbath edge. Warm? ;)

I can definitely hear the influence on AOM's sound though.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:36 pm 

androdion wrote:
Checking out the title track and it's all kinds of cool, although the vocals may be a bit of a deal breaker for me. I'll have to listen to it further on and with a fresher head. The lead section reminded me somehow of Pagan Altar, but the riffing style seems based mainly around that trudging Candlemass style with a bit of a Black Sabbath edge. Warm? ;)

Perhaps more Trouble than Candlemass. I also remember John Brenner calling this obscure demo as a huge influence. Too bad the band doesn't want the demo to be re-released. "It's already circulating on the net" or some shit. Laaame. Yeah, Revelation has typical strange "cult band" vocals. You either get used to the vocals and start loving them for what they are or you don't. :-P Whenever I feel I'm becoming too critical, I just imagine Brenner as Eeyore (similar personality) and everything makes sense again.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:00 am 

Doomsday wrote:
androdion wrote:

Perhaps more Trouble than Candlemass. I also remember John Brenner calling this obscure demo as a huge influence. Too bad the band doesn't want the demo to be re-released. "It's already circulating on the net" or some shit. Laaame. Yeah, Revelation has typical strange "cult band" vocals. You either get used to the vocals and start loving them for what they are or you don't. :-P Whenever I feel I'm becoming too critical, I just imagine Brenner as Eeyore (similar personality) and everything makes sense again.

You're right, it goes more in line with Trouble than Candlemass. It was a bit late already last night, but it does have that distinctive US sound to it indeed (listening to the stream at Shadow Kingdom Records BC page). The vocals take a bit to get used to but they seem more acceptable today. I'll keep listening. ;)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 am 

I'm looking for ritualistic doom or sludge with gregorian chants or tuvian throat singing. Eagle Twin is a good example for instance.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:04 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for ritualistic doom or sludge with gregorian chants or tuvian throat singing. Eagle Twin is a good example for instance.

Otu - D.R.O.N.E. maybe. Has some throat singing here and there.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:48 pm 

Thanks for the rec, but I dislike the dude and his band. This is more what I'm looking for (at 6:23):

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Unearthly Trance maybe.

Last.fm

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:41 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Sink is a lot less stoner-ish than Eagle Twin and leans more on the ambient end of the spectrum, but the vocals should match what you're looking for.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 133  Next