Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Illiyad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:50 pm 

Mutterficker wrote:
On that note, can somebody give me a doom metal song from an admittedly NON doom metal band?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuGwk0VDYYQ
Rage against the machine has Settle For Nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3jRK-sdTSE
Led Zeppelin's In The light is totally Black Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORr1riA3HEE
Jack off Jill has Surgery

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:39 pm 

Mutterficker wrote:
On that note, can somebody give me a doom metal song from an admittedly NON doom metal band?

Overkill - Skullkrusher is the one I usually recommend.

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:24 pm 

I'll probably get flack like I've never seen in the history of everything for it but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xPaeONSn_8
It really is sorta doomy.

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:09 pm 

Mutterficker wrote:

Morbid Angel's song He Who Sleeps is solidly death-doom. Morbid's always kinda flirted with the style.
Iced Earth's song Creator Failure is mostly slow, doomy parts too, from a usually fast-paced power metal band.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:33 pm 

Yes it is I in the doom sticky thread. It's not an anomaly on your screen. :p

I'm fairly green when it comes to trad doom, but I'm very fond of the first couple of works by Reverend Bizarre and Candlemass, and lately I've found myself listening to that Acolytes Of Moros EP a bit repetitively. Thing here is the following, I'd like for some pointers on the Rev Biz similar artists page, as to not approach it blindly. I like the repetition of the debut as much as the rocking persona of the sophomore, and old Candlemass is just boss. So I guess that what I enjoy about those works is the mix of good riffs in a good measure with a really powerful singer on top. Guitar and bass work is the primary focus of what I'm after, as well as a charismatic singer.

A little help here doom mongers?! ;)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 pm 

Ok since Doomsday is too lazy to answer, I'll do it but that's a very vague request, Andro :) You're looking for metal with good riffs and a powerful singer? Aren't we all haha! I'll rec you some stuff and you'll tell us what you like and didn't like so we could give you some more precise bands. There's some of the stuff here that I reviewed too if you want some longer explanations. This will keep you busy for a while!

I guess you could check out Serpent Warning and The Wandering Midget both with the same singer, Samuli Pesonen.

Be a good doomster and check out this marvelous release by Magic Circle from Boston, probably 2013's best trad doom album.

Oh and a more obscure rec with the Frenchies of Weird Light, pretty similar to RevB and since you're a fan of Albert, check out his latest solo album under the monicker Opium Warlords as well. The song I linked is a bit more experimental than RB's albums but it's nearest thing to trad doom he did outside after the split if we exclude Spiritis Mortis, oh yeah check them out too!

And finally, the American classic doom band Oroduin is greeeeeat!

Tony out.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:03 pm 

Yeah Tony, that will hold me out for a while. ;)

The whole "good riffs and a powerful singer" thingy was supposed to be a guideline to what I'm after in the Rev Biz similar artists tab, not the whole doom world mate. For instance, I've listened to The Gates Of Slumber before and they're not my thing. But since the similar artists tab on Rev Biz has some 15 bands I have no idea what they sound like (and checking all of them one by one would take me forever, which I don't have nowadays) all I wanted was a bit of spoon-feeding in that shortlist. ;)

I'll take a look at those bands you listed and try to come back rapidly. Next week is Hellfest time so preparations are already in motion and my time frame is rather limited.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:10 pm 

First impressions (I've been updating this as I listen to the bands):

- Orodruin seems like an insta-keeper. Very cool atmosphere, great guitar/bass work and an apparently marvellous voice. Really spot on actually.

- Spiritus Mortis is leaving me in a mix of confusion and bewilderment. It seems to be much more theatrical/melodramatic than Rev Biz and has apparently a darker approach. It's actually demanding from a musical standpoint, but there's some great material in that album. I love how that riff in "The Man Of Steel" reminds me of Celtic Frost. :nods:

- Opium Warlords... I don't know how I feel about this one. I've read your review of it Tony, and without trying to listen to them I'd say the first two albums aren't really for me, and this is the one that may hit home. The songs do seem a bit hit and miss though, but since it's an Albert project I guess I'll have to give it a proper spin. Not really sold on it though.

- Weird Light isn't bad, but the guy's accent is kind of annoying. They're also a demo only, no physical edition band. I'd prefer recs for releases that I can actually buy. :p (PS: CD format only, unfortunately...)

- Magic Circle's vocalist isn't really what I'm looking for. :(

- The Wandering Midget seems alright, nothing really extraordinary but very well played and with sentiment. The guy is a good singer, even though his inflexion his quite peculiar. I'm getting a slight Candlemass vibe from the guitars, which is a good thing. The ending of "She-Wolf" has this epic vibe I'm really appreciating. ;)

- Serpent Warning. Same singer different band, so it should prove alright, right?! Actually I find that it kind of drags onward without any real interesting progression, and the voice doesn't act as a saving grace. His register seems to be a bit higher here than on The Wandering Midget too, but that may be the advancing hour kicking in. Too laid back and relaxed with little bite on the guitars as well.

Guess I ran that list quite fast. :D I'd be interested in getting your opinion about Lord Vicar and Cardinals Folly too, if you don't mind me asking (or anyone else who'd like to pitch in really).

Last edited by ~Guest 82538 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:34 pm 

You can try Blood Farmers and Pale Divine if you enjoy Orodruin.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:51 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
You can try Blood Farmers and Pale Divine if you enjoy Orodruin.

Will do, but tomorrow. It's already 2AM and I need to get some sleep. I'll get back at you with some impressions on those.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:50 pm 

Just heard the new Cardinals Folly today, it was ok but they're a subpar band with mediocre vocals, I'm not recommending them.

Lord Vicar are marvelous but I thought they were a bit too obvious for my list considering Kimi is the key member, both their full lenghts are excellent. Oh perhaps you'll like Funeral Circle, very good Canadian epic doom, think of Solstice + Candlemass. I can't wait to see them live in August.
Check them out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFBSPcatr9M

I'm sad you don't dig Magic Circle :(

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:41 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Just heard the new Cardinals Folly today, it was ok but they're a subpar band with mediocre vocals, I'm not recommending them.

Just once I would like to hear them perform a song with a different vocalist. Karnstein is just too horrible. He knows it, of that I have no doubt, but still he keeps on singing and I can't even respect his determination because of how horrible he is. 10 years of not getting any better. Fucking hell mate, stick to slapping the bass and get someone else to do the vocals. Anyone else will do! Some nice musical moments on the new album, though. The title track especially has premium riffwork. No amount of questionable production can hide that.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Lord Vicar are marvelous but I thought they were a bit too obvious for my list considering Kimi is the key member, both their full lenghts are excellent. Oh perhaps you'll like Funeral Circle, very good Canadian epic doom, think of Solstice + Candlemass. I can't wait to see them live in August.
Check them out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFBSPcatr9M

I'm sad you don't dig Magic Circle :(

Going to check out Lord Vicar and Funeral Circle then.

With Magic Circle it's not like the guy is a bad singer, which he isn't, and he really has an emotive approach. It's just of a kind that I cant properly appreciate. By the way, check the queue Tony. You'll understand it once you see it. ;)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:08 am 

Impressions then:

- Blood Farmers has a bit of a stonerish vibe doesn't it?! Not very fond of the "hazy" vocals, although they do have some interesting moments here and there. I'm just not too much into the psyched up spectrum of doom. ;)

- Pale Divine has really excellent guitar work, colour me impressed! Not really sold on the vocals yet, as I think they could use a rougher edge, but the axework is too good to dismiss this one. :nods:

- Funeral Circle's guitar work is clearly taken from Leif's book, yeah. And despite finding that the production has probably too much reverb for my liking, as well as the mix seeming strange but that could be just YT, I'll have to take a closer look on this one.

- Lord Vicar I have mixed feelings about. It seems to be more traditional than Rev Biz, more by-the-book trad doom if you will. And if it wasn't readily apparent until now then I'll just say it out loud. I'm not very fond of "granddaddy of doom" vocals. You know, that wailing higher pitched croon that's reminiscent of the older bands in the style. I actually prefer a lower register, just with a bit of vibrato when it changes towards a higher tone. Take Albert as the prime example of that. I don't know, this vocalist isn't cutting it for me... :(

Have to run to work now, doom hour is over.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:21 pm 

I know Fridays are usually very quiet on the MA boards, but do hit me with more bands based on my impressions of the ones recommended so far. I'll be waiting. ;)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:53 pm 

My suggestion: take your time with what you've been recommended. :)

Oh check out God Shroud! http://god-shroud.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:50 am 

Well yeah, I do have five bands to properly listen to, that much is true. Thanks for the effort in spoon-feeding this baby in doom. ;)

Tony, no digital only bands mate. I want to buy stuff! :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:15 pm 

It was a joke since this band is terrible.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:33 pm 

The second Mercy (Swe) album is absolutely awesome. Increased the Sabbath influence, added some Celtic Frost, and holy shit. Messiah has an awesome falsetto, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eX4Uuutr88

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:16 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
It was a joke since this band is terrible.

You know, I was thinking to myself why you'd rec me a band to which you gave an album of theirs 10%... :p Don't mind me, it's just the tiredness caused by a lot of things. And guess what?! I work tomorrow as well. :(

homewrecker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:09 pm 

I really like the track Vinum Sabbathi, by Electric Wizard. I mean I enjoy the whole Dopethrone album but what really makes that first track stand out for me is the faster tempo. So if I want something that has downtuned and fuzzy guitars, distorted vocals that are kind of washed into the mix, and a relatively fast tempo, what other albums (from EW or from any other band) should I be checking out? Thanks in advance for the help.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:23 am 

homewrecker wrote:
I really like the track Vinum Sabbathi, by Electric Wizard. I mean I enjoy the whole Dopethrone album but what really makes that first track stand out for me is the faster tempo. So if I want something that has downtuned and fuzzy guitars, distorted vocals that are kind of washed into the mix, and a relatively fast tempo, what other albums (from EW or from any other band) should I be checking out? Thanks in advance for the help.

Have fun.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:08 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm also looking for doom/sludge in the vein of Toadliquor/Khanate. For some reason I couldn't edit my previous post.

Burning Witch for an obvious one.

No shit.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:13 am 

Also, recommend great, fuzzy riffs. At least as heavy as Conan.

homewrecker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:40 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

*snip*

Have fun.

Thanks for the recommendations and for the fact that you provided Youtube links, I appreciate the help.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:08 am 

The newly released Iron Void debut album is pretty damn awesome! The band's been active for over a decade so it was about time they released a full-length. They have an urgency to their sound that I haven't heard much in doom this year. Traditional and heavy. Goes down smooth. Track 1 is available on YouTube. It's only the tip of the iceberg, though. Great catch by Barbarian Wrath.

Illiyad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:39 pm 

What's the chance of there being an uptempo stoner rock track akin to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMoHXEhblo
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjYb2sH7OY

Sort of punk in that it is very much "uptempo" and doesn't have all the stops and breaks of other, more technical metal songs (no slowing down either), but stoner rock in that it's definitely riff/Sabbath oriented?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:09 pm 

I can't listen to your examples right now, but if you're looking for doom (stoner rock means nothing to me) that sounds like Sabbath but also hits some speedy parts, let me change your life:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sa ... ctim/17772

It's Circle Pit Doom. I guess all the SST bands they toured with were rubbing off on them or something, because that album straight up CHARGES but the riffs and tone are Sabbath filtered through even more caveman tendencies.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm 

After being taken to task on another part of this site for stating "new doom travels at a snail's pace", I'm here looking for some that doesn't. Let me first say that after all these years Trouble's Psalm 9 and Candlemass' Nightfall are still my two favorite doom albums of all time. So that gives you an idea of what kind of doom I like. I'm open to anything that doesn't drag, doesn't have raspy guitars, doesn't drag, doesn't have muddy or thin production, and oh yeah, doesn't drag. I also like the new Crowbar album (yes, I know it's sludge, not doom, but it's slower than most stuff I listen to). The only newer doom I've thought was worth buying was Hooded Menace's Never Cross The Dead, but realistically, except for the song I linked to, most of it is still too slow.

I've gone back quite a few pages here and haven't heard anything that fits the bill. So what do you have in the way of some mid-tempo (relatively speaking), high quality doom?

Thanks

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:15 am 

Pentagram.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:50 am 

The new Kröwnn album! You're gonna love it if you're a fan of the demo. :bow: :bow: :bow:
June is shaping up nicely. Might end up becoming the best month of the year for doom with new releases from Kröwnn, Zaum, Ocean Chief, Iron Void, and Return from the Grave. Still got Cross Vault, Serpent Venom, and Purple Hill Witch to look forward to. And who knows what else? So much satisfaction.

dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:09 am 

Smitty wrote:
After being taken to task on another part of this site for stating "new doom travels at a snail's pace", I'm here looking for some that doesn't. Let me first say that after all these years Trouble's Psalm 9 and Candlemass' Nightfall are still my two favorite doom albums of all time. So that gives you an idea of what kind of doom I like. I'm open to anything that doesn't drag, doesn't have raspy guitars, doesn't drag, doesn't have muddy or thin production, and oh yeah, doesn't drag. I also like the new Crowbar album (yes, I know it's sludge, not doom, but it's slower than most stuff I listen to). The only newer doom I've thought was worth buying was Hooded Menace's Never Cross The Dead, but realistically, except for the song I linked to, most of it is still too slow.

I've gone back quite a few pages here and haven't heard anything that fits the bill. So what do you have in the way of some mid-tempo (relatively speaking), high quality doom?

Thanks

Argus
http://cruzdelsurmusic.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-martyrs
Pale Divine:
http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... tery-earth
Gates of Slumber:
http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/conqueror
Solstice:
http://solstice-englander.bandcamp.com/ ... is-victory
Ogre:
http://ogrereal.bandcamp.com/album/seven-hells
Sinister Realm:
http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... ster-realm
Seamount:
http://seamount.bandcamp.com/album/iii-sacrifice
Blood Farmers
Age of Taurus
Blood Ceremony
Dark Castle:
http://darkcastlemetal.bandcamp.com/alb ... m-download
Pagan Altar
http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... f-the-dead
Subrosa
http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com ... n-the-gods
Windhand
http://windhandva.bandcamp.com/releases
Bongzilla:
http://bongzilla.bandcamp.com/album/gateway

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:58 am 

I'm looking to explore my worldview on Sludge. Now, I'm trying to get into bands that play the atmospheric side of Sludge and to my knowledge people call them post-Metal (I think it's a silly moniker for such good music). Now I already enjoy Cult of Luna so I'm looking for bands that are similar or at least play on the same base and expand on that.

So any recs?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:00 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Pentagram.

I have an 80's release from them. I haven't played it in so long I can't remember which one. Don't really care for their new stuff, but I didn't realized they released stuff in the 90's, so I'll check those out.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:47 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
I'm looking to explore my worldview on Sludge. Now, I'm trying to get into bands that play the atmospheric side of Sludge and to my knowledge people call them post-Metal (I think it's a silly moniker for such good music). Now I already enjoy Cult of Luna so I'm looking for bands that are similar or at least play on the same base and expand on that.

So any recs?

- Neurosis, take it up from Times Of Grace onwards, which is their mellower phase. But by all means do hit their entire discography (minus the first two albums) when you feel like you're up to the task.
- Isis is another obvious choice, and they have a very similar evolution over their career. Like COL they start more aggressive and begin to mellow down over the course of the next few albums.
- Callisto is also a no-brainer, if you like the Salvation/Somewhere Along The Highway period of COL. I'd say their debut is the closest to COL they get, but I personally prefer Noir over it for having a bit more of character.
- Light Bearer's debut album is also very cool, and has a lot of bits that verge more on post-rock crescendos and ambient sections. Their sophomore is a bit of a letdown, too little going on in terms of dynamics when compared to the debut. But if you favour the more ambient sections found on Lapsus you might still enjoy it.

Not sure which COL albums you prefer, so take the following with a pinch of salt:

- Process Of Guilt's last album, Faemin, is a beast of an album but shows more of an aggressive stance rather than a mellower tone. Also check Erosion since you're at it, it's a bit of an experimental crossover between their death/doom material and their sludgy aspects.
- Amenra for a bit more of a hardcore oriented sludge sound, that is still quite atmospheric here and there. I'd say try Mass V, which seems to be their most atmospheric effort and work your way backwards.
- Gigandhi. OK, so this isn't really sludge but it's a band that lives between the more experimental and tribal sound of Neurosis and has a lot of Godflesh influences. You might like it, particularly the sophomore which is more laid back.
- Pelican is another band that is more sludgy than sludge, and they actually mix a lot of different things. Try Australasia or the sophomore, although don't expect them to sound like Salvation.

PS: Sorry for the horrible "paragraph formatting".

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:20 pm 

dragonclaw7 wrote:

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to put this list together.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:54 pm 

Yeahhhh... ok, if you do lists like these, at least include a short description. A sentence or two won't kill anyone.

Ohhhhh, new Krownn, nice! I also need to check the new Wo Fat, it has a killer cover.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wo ... ing/403144

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 pm 

Holy shit that Magic Circle rules! I'll be buying their LP as soon as I can.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 pm 

If you like their singer, check out Stone Dagger, it's trad metal and also awesome.*

*I can provide you with a rip of the demo if you ask nicely!

Oh and the new Wo Fat freaking rocks!

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:55 am 

androdion wrote:
ScratchMyBack wrote:

So any recs?

- Neurosis, take it up from Times Of Grace onwards, which is their mellower phase. But by all means do hit their entire discography (minus the first two albums) when you feel like you're up to the task.
- Isis is another obvious choice, and they have a very similar evolution over their career. Like COL they start more aggressive and begin to mellow down over the course of the next few albums.
- Callisto is also a no-brainer, if you like the Salvation/Somewhere Along The Highway period of COL. I'd say their debut is the closest to COL they get, but I personally prefer Noir over it for having a bit more of character.
- Light Bearer's debut album is also very cool, and has a lot of bits that verge more on post-rock crescendos and ambient sections. Their sophomore is a bit of a letdown, too little going on in terms of dynamics when compared to the debut. But if you favour the more ambient sections found on Lapsus you might still enjoy it.

Not sure which COL albums you prefer, so take the following with a pinch of salt:

- Process Of Guilt's last album, Faemin, is a beast of an album but shows more of an aggressive stance rather than a mellower tone. Also check Erosion since you're at it, it's a bit of an experimental crossover between their death/doom material and their sludgy aspects.
- Amenra for a bit more of a hardcore oriented sludge sound, that is still quite atmospheric here and there. I'd say try Mass V, which seems to be their most atmospheric effort and work your way backwards.
- Gigandhi. OK, so this isn't really sludge but it's a band that lives between the more experimental and tribal sound of Neurosis and has a lot of Godflesh influences. You might like it, particularly the sophomore which is more laid back.
- Pelican is another band that is more sludgy than sludge, and they actually mix a lot of different things. Try Australasia or the sophomore, although don't expect them to sound like Salvation.

PS: Sorry for the horrible "paragraph formatting".

Thanks! The weird part is that I've heard of Giganndhi but not Process of Guilt before. Can't say I enjoy Gigandhi that much after the novelty ran out on the 3rd listen.

I know I should've have said this earlier but I love the earlier Cult of Luna albums compared to the later ones though Vertikal is slowly growing onto me. Lovely beast. I'll be going through Isis and Pelican, since you're not the 1st to recommend me them. I sort of know the existence of those 2 bands but some weird feeling in me needed a confirmation bias. Thanks again! :D

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 133  Next