Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 pm 

Judging from his signature and the fact that he was dursted, his tastes are probably extremely bad.

Quote:
There are bands out there that are way better than what these bands above were. The reason why they don't get much acknowledgements is because people always think that 'we must listen to the roots of BM and praise them' bla bla bla.
And this tripe proves that he is an idiot and, also, probably listens to terrible music.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:54 pm 

samrit86 wrote:
Time has changed. I'm not saying you should actually neglect it, no.

Have a listen or two. Yeah they were good. But the amount of praises they are getting, not good. And before you start, I'm not against raw or low quality production.

It's just that, Emperor is getting high praises, and I can't see what's so special in them? Same as Bathory, Darkthrone, Mayhem. I heard their music. Nothing special.

There are bands out there that are way better than what these bands above were. The reason why they don't get much acknowledgements is because people always think that 'we must listen to the roots of BM and praise them' bla bla bla.

My 2 cents anyway.

Wow ill give him balls for publically expressing his oppinions such as those, but Emperor and Bathory overrated? I think not. You can not be a black metal fan and truly believe that.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:58 pm 

Ok well reccomendations for me...
I'm looking for like Melo-Black Metal in the Vein of Covenant (Nor). That is all. I don't care about lyrics or anything. just some bands like Covenant before their industrial phase as "The Kovenant"

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:02 pm 

Winterkald wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

It's just that, Emperor is getting high praises, and I can't see what's so special in them? Same as Bathory, Darkthrone, Mayhem. I heard their music. Nothing special.

:boo:

But it's your opinion I guess. To each his own my friend. But what exactly isn't so special about those bands? Could you name a few bands that you find much greater :) ? Just curious because I would really like to hear them (no, not sarcasm).

Haha. No worries. Loads of them. I rather listen to unknown, self-producing, underground bands.. than these hyped up old wave bands.

Liveride, Petrychor, Misanthropic Art, Forest Silence, Ash Pool, Woe, Skaldic Curse, Winterfylleth.

Alot of them. They make really brilliant music. The best I've heard. I mean, when you open your mind up and take your time discovering music, it feels really good. And you'll appreciate it.

I rather buy a rare cassette demo than buying a Darkthrone boxset.
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:10 pm 

Best prepare yourself for the cries of "hipster this" and "hipster that".

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:42 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Judging from his signature and the fact that he was dursted, his tastes are probably extremely bad.

Quote:
And this tripe proves that he is an idiot and, also, probably listens to terrible music.

so when I have my own opinion rather than following the crowd, I listen to terrible music? And I was dursted? What does 'dursted' mean anyway?
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:55 pm 

samrit86 wrote:
Haha. No worries. Loads of them. I rather listen to unknown, self-producing, underground bands.. than these hyped up old wave bands.

Liveride, Petrychor, Misanthropic Art, Forest Silence, Ash Pool, Woe, Skaldic Curse, Winterfylleth.

Alot of them. They make really brilliant music. The best I've heard. I mean, when you open your mind up and take your time discovering music, it feels really good. And you'll appreciate it.

Petrychor and Forest Silence, both good bands, but better than Emperor.... ?

...ehh, no. Not trying to fanboy here, but Emperor's written some seriously amazing and unique music. You can appreciate the new along with the old; neither of them render the other irrelevant. Emperor was the first black metal band I ever heard and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just because second wave shit might be passé to you doesn't mean it is to someone completely new to the scene. We're talking introduction points here.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:05 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
samrit86 wrote:

Petrychor and Forest Silence, both good bands, but better than Emperor.... ?

...ehh, no. Not trying to fanboy here, but Emperor's written some seriously amazing and unique music. You can appreciate the new along with the old; neither of them render the other irrelevant. Emperor was the first black metal band I ever heard and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just because second wave shit might be passé to you doesn't mean it is to someone completely new to the scene. We're talking introduction points here.

Yeah you have a point. Hence why I said, my opinion anyway. For me they are not that great. Good, but some crazy undeserved ratings they received.

I've heard people talking about Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk and In the Nightside Eclipse being the greatest black metal albums ever made. I honestly can't see what's so great in it. Why is it better than BAN's Ultima Thulée? Or Trist's Zrcadlení Melancholie?

Me : So what black metal bands you listen to?
BM Fan : Oooh. Emperor, Darkthrone, Cradle of Filth, Ancient.
Me : Heard of Altoriou Seseliai?
BM Fan : No.
Me : Trist? Evilfeast? Silencer? Njiqahdda? Blut Aus Nord?
BM Fan : No. who are they?
Me : GTFO.

Seriously. All of them! That's real talent gone to waste right there.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 am 

samrit86 wrote:
Yeah you have a point. Hence why I said, my opinion anyway. For me they are not that great. Good, but some crazy undeserved ratings they received.

I've heard people talking about Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk and In the Nightside Eclipse being the greatest black metal albums ever made. I honestly can't see what's so great in it. Why is it better than BAN's Ultima Thulée? Or Trist's Zrcadlení Melancholie?

Me : So what black metal bands you listen to?
BM Fan : Oooh. Emperor, Darkthrone, Cradle of Filth, Ancient.
Me : Heard of Altoriou Seseliai?
BM Fan : No.
Me : Trist? Evilfeast? Silencer? Njiqahdda? Blut Aus Nord?
BM Fan : No. who are they?
Me : GTFO.

Seriously. All of them! That's real talent gone to waste right there.

I know what you mean, and hell, I love Blut Aus Nord too, but I wouldn't recommend them as a starting point for newbies. Albums widely regarded as classics are worthy points of departure and of reference, because whether or not they are up to snuff in your eyes, they embody an essence and the history of the art form, lending context to many aspects of what will be a given individual's perception of, and search through, the works of a genre. Lesser known albums are of course always treasures to be unearthed, but I can't see anything wrong with laying down some fundamental keystones on which to then build a more esoteric knowledge of the genre. They're not necessary, obviously, but it never hurts to give them the recognition they've earned.

Certain artists or albums are always going to get their share of 'excessive' praise in any realm of art. It mostly has to do with what is high-visibility and what is low-visibility. And there will always be people who are staunch, unwavering servitors of the classics. It's probably best to just not let it get to you and instead spread the knowledge of artists you appreciate much more so that their fame can be more widely celebrated.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am 

samrit86 wrote:
Evilfeast

This bands deserves more attention. Yesterday I received 'Lost Horizons of Wisdom'. Amazing!
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

Ablaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 am 

Yeah Evilfeast, great polish bm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:19 am 

Winterkald wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
Evilfeast

This bands deserves more attention. Yesterday I received 'Lost Horizons of Wisdom'. Amazing!

Agreed, Evilfeast are/is a wonderful band, new album in the works also.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:26 am 

samrit86 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Quote:

so when I have my own opinion rather than following the crowd, I listen to terrible music? And I was dursted? What does 'dursted' mean anyway?
To neglect 90s black metal is to have a shitty taste. You are a moron for neglecting bands like Bathory, not for "following the crowd". Jesus, follow the crowd? Nice argument. 90s black metal is so mainstream.

To be dursted is to be banned from using your profile on metal-archives (dursting doesn't affect forum usage though) for doing something extremely stupid, like plagiarising reviews, adding fake bands, etc. When banned in such a way, it will say on your profile page that your rank is Fred Durst, thus, dursted.

gravlagtieljudne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:12 am 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
Ok well reccomendations for me...
I'm looking for like Melo-Black Metal in the Vein of Covenant (Nor). That is all. I don't care about lyrics or anything. just some bands like Covenant before their industrial phase as "The Kovenant"

Mundanus Imperium's Ode to the Nightsky perhaps?

mckickflip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm 

if anyone knows any other BM like this, please let me know - crushing relentless dirty raw black metal!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eVCv7F4Y60

it's Haemoth's "Abomination". the rest of the album is kind of weak but that one track slays.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:02 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Quote:

To neglect 90s black metal is to have a shitty taste. You are a moron for neglecting bands like Bathory, not for "following the crowd". Jesus, follow the crowd? Nice argument. 90s black metal is so mainstream.

To be dursted is to be banned from using your profile on metal-archives (dursting doesn't affect forum usage though) for doing something extremely stupid, like plagiarising reviews, adding fake bands, etc. When banned in such a way, it will say on your profile page that your rank is Fred Durst, thus, dursted.

So you saying that people who don't listen to Bathory have shitty taste? I've said it earlier... I found many bands that are way better than them. I didn't say neglect (maybe the way I said it was wrong, sorry then).

And I didn't know I was dursted. I admit, during the first few weeks I was here I did 3 reviews (2 copied and 1 of my own). They warned me, I didn't do it again. Doesn't matter to me anyway. Some, if not most of the reviews here are terrible.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:16 pm 

samrit86 wrote:
So you saying that people who don't listen to Bathory have shitty taste? .
Nope.

samrit86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
Nope.

You said it. "people who neglect the 90's scene have shitty taste"

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:41 pm 

samrit86 wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
samrit86 wrote:
Nope.

You said it. "people who neglect the 90's scene have shitty taste"
You're taking my words out of context and twisting them. What I said was "to neglect 90s black metal is to have a shitty taste", meaning, in the context, something entirely else than "people who don't listen to Bathory have shitty taste". Surely you are not so stupid not to see it. You're instead a troll.

mckickflip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:32 pm 

how about everyone stop bitching about some comments that don't fucking matter and recommend me some damn black metal? for fucks sake

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 am 

Ok mckickflip, you will be given some black metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc4ugWL_-YE

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 am 

Hey guys, so far into my metal journey BM has been really hit and miss for me. Some stuff I've loved, but I've met plenty that I can't get into at all. I even a lot of the classics I've found to be more than a little dull. I've found the best way to find stuff I like is just to find more albums similar to what I've discovered I enjoy in my most recent black metal run.

With this in mind could the more experienced BM people rec. stuff that is similar to the cds I list next?

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse/Wrath of the Tyrant (don't really like their later stuff although Anthems is ok)
Summoning - (I own a few of their cds and love them all...anything similar to them would be appreciated)
Gris - Il était une forêt...
Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions
Trist - Zrcadleni melancholie
Azaghal - Of Beasts and Vultures
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Dawn - Slaughtercult
Behexen - By the Blessing of Satan
Deviser - Unspeakable Cults (big fan of the Greek BM that I know of...I probably know all the even slightly obvious ones).
Nyktalgia - S/T
The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure

...there's more but I think that paints enough of a picture of what I've enjoyed so far. Thanks guys.

magniloth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:03 pm 

You've listed a pretty diverse lot of albums, so I'll just rec a few I really enjoy

Panopticon - Panopticon
Dødsengel - Mirium Occultum
Arckanum - Fran Marder & Kostogher
Agatus - Dawn of Martyrdom
Carrion Wraith - Carrion Wraith
Xibalba - Ah Dzam Poop Ek (especially if you enjoy Immortal)

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:10 pm 

I think you will enjoy these as well:

Leviathan - The Tenth sub level of Suicide
Kataxu - Hunger of Elements
Gontyna Kry - Welowie
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Satanic Warmaster - Carelian Satanist Madness
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:25 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Long post.

Some of those, like The Ruins of Beverast and Gris, are pretty damn unique, but I'll try my best.

Try Germany's Nagelfar - a band Alexander of The Ruins of Beverast was in. Also, try: Sombres Forêts and Miserere Luminis

If you happen to enjoy Carrion Wraith, check out both Sui Caedere and Monarque.

For bands like Summoning, try Helgrindr and Kinstrife & Blood:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo0VHgy-xUQ
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCrlggyxCFI

As well as bands like Falkenbach, Windir, Rivendell and Elffor.

For Abyssic Hate, Burzum, Trist and Nyktalgia sounding bands, well, there's and endless list:
Canis Dirus
Strid
Austere
Nargaroth
Hypothermia
Total Negation
Life Is Pain
ColdWorld
Judas Iscariot
Silencer
Make A Change... Kill Yourself
Forgotten Woods
Wigrid
Sterbend

You may also care to check out Hate Forest, Blood of Kingu, Astrofaes.

I have loads more suggestions, just none that spring to mind at the moment.

Last edited by Perplexed_Sjel on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:26 pm 

Oh, if you enjoy Leviathan, be sure to check out Lurker of Chalice and Westering.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Oh, if you enjoy Leviathan, be sure to check out Lurker of Chalice and Westering.

And Twilight (USA) ;) .

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 pm 

Thanks for all the recs guys...keep them coming. I'll be back with another list of what I like after I've had a listen to some of this stuff.

As for Leviathan/Westering etc...my only exposure to US black metal is like the one full length by Lurker of Chalice. So I'll be sure to try some more USBM during this round of exploring.

Void_Eater
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:25 am 

Anybody got an album similar to Marduk's Opus Nocturne?

iamntbatman wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Fuckin' irony; how does that work?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:04 am 

If you can imagine liking a band which is something like a mix between Drudkh and Judas Iscariot, try Walknut. They have those melancholic tremolopicked major and minor third riffs, much like Wolves in the Throne Room.

Edit: This was a response to Hybrid_Killer's post

JunkyardGod227
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:11 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Thanks for all the recs guys...keep them coming. I'll be back with another list of what I like after I've had a listen to some of this stuff.

As for Leviathan/Westering etc...my only exposure to US black metal is like the one full length by Lurker of Chalice. So I'll be sure to try some more USBM during this round of exploring.

Nightbringer make some pretty good USBM. Doesn't sound like Lurker of Chalice, but worth mentioning IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uUoGcD2IAM

If you like Burzum and Drudkh, maybe you'll like Skagos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGc5lWDL ... re=related

I also 2nd the Walknut suggestion. They kick ass.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:53 am 

Recently i bought both Angst Skvadron albums and thats great, wierd, eerie, progressive black metal. Reminds a little bit Ved Buens Ende, Virus etc. stuff. Any bands you could recommend? Mostly slow-paced, progressive, eerie atmosphere. Lyrics doesnt matter, Angst Skvadrons ufo-theme is kinda unique for black metal.

magniloth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:40 am 

So, there's a new Angantyr album out. Thoughts? I've always really liked these guys and the new album (thus far) does not disappoint. They've always felt neo-romantic to me, what do you guys think?

TheAmmonite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:23 pm 

I'm relatively new to Black Metal and am looking for some recommendations regarding foundational and/or influential USBM of either a traditional or DSBM strain. Any feedback is appreciated.

magniloth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:25 pm 

Profanatica, Black Witchery/Irreverent, Von, Havohej, Judas Iscariot.. really can't go wrong here. Wind of the Black Mountains owns too.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 am 

best symphonics in black metal?

glyndwr_2002
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:05 am 

mckickflip wrote:
how about everyone stop bitching about some comments that don't fucking matter and recommend me some damn black metal? for fucks sake

Black Funeral
Bekhira

glyndwr_2002
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 am 

mckickflip wrote:

Black Funeral
Bekhira

TheAmmonite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:32 pm 

magniloth wrote:
Profanatica, Black Witchery/Irreverent, Von, Havohej, Judas Iscariot.. really can't go wrong here. Wind of the Black Mountains owns too.

Thanks for the recommendations; I dig Havohej, Profanatica, and Judas Iscariot in particular. Anything similar in sound to Judas Iscariot? Also, what would you recommend in the vein of Leviathan (I already know of Lurker of Chalice).

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:47 pm 

TheAmmonite wrote:
Also, what would you recommend in the vein of Leviathan (I already know of Lurker of Chalice).

Westering.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 231  Next