* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:41 am 

PatientZero wrote:
iAm wrote:
Thanks a shitload, for all of those recs.

Damn, I've seen a Population Reduction promo at this store here in Reno for like $2.98, but it shut down. I didn't know they were Grind.

Yea, it's great stuff, old school and a bit of dm influence in it. Some of the guys from Insanity are in it too.

I really wish I bought that PR album now, really regret not doing so :brick:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:09 am 

I'd like to know everyone's favorite death metal albums from 2008 thus far. I've enjoyed:

Septic Flesh - Communion (kings of atmospheric death?)
Unleashed - Hammer Battalion
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels (very old school sounding)
Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War
Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception (similar to the new Origin)
Origin - Antithesis
Martriden - The Unsettling Dark (death/black, has its moments)
The Monolith Deathcult - Trivmvirate (has electronic influences that are well done)
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:10 am 

I think the only one I've listened to is Watershed :uh oh:

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:37 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I'd like to know everyone's favorite death metal albums from 2008 thus far. I've enjoyed:

You missed Necrovation's "Breed Deadness Blood" - that one was quite good (probably my fave death metal album from this year).

[edit] On a random sidenote, anyone else here like Genocrush Ferox's "The Sepulchre Strangulation"? Pity they didn't produce more material.

Exmachete
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:14 am 

Nahsil wrote:

Top 2 so far are Origin - Antithesis and Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception both really good albums, but as you said pretty similar in sound.

PatientZero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:20 am 

iAm wrote:
PatientZero wrote:
iAm wrote:
Thanks a shitload, for all of those recs.

Damn, I've seen a Population Reduction promo at this store here in Reno for like $2.98, but it shut down. I didn't know they were Grind.

Yea, it's great stuff, old school and a bit of dm influence in it. Some of the guys from Insanity are in it too.

I really wish I bought that PR album now, really regret not doing so :brick:

Haha, I would be pretty angry if I missed that one. At the Throats of Man does get a little boring after a while, definitely not the kind of stuff you can binge listen, but it does warrant a few spins every now and again :P

Nahsil wrote:

Septic Flesh - Communion (kings of atmospheric death?)
Unleashed - Hammer Battalion
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels (very old school sounding)
Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War
Origin - Antithesis
The Monolith Deathcult - Trivmvirate (has electronic influences that are well done)
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom

Seems we have pretty different tastes, I found Septic Flesh, Hail of Bullets, Origin and Arghoslent pretty awful lol

Anyway, Dead Congregation would be by far my favourite of this year (and the last few). Necrovation - Breed Deadness Blood is another great one, I was listening to the new Battallion today although wasn't paying much attention, but it did sound pretty good. Arhont is an interesting one, I enjoyed that. Other than that there wasn't much:
Aborted, Belphegor, Deicide, Dismember, Emeth, Hate Eternal, they are all pretty run-of-the-mill (at best). Prion were ok but a bit of a Conquering the Throne ripoff. Brain Drill, Arsis: wankery. Diocletian was great as expected and Proclamation was decent. That's all I can really think of, there's probably more though...

Oh yeah! In Flames! Damn that was good, reminded me of Korn (the fathers of metal)

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:18 am 

Deicide was very average
Hour of penance- awesome
Origin- kick ass
Prostitute Disfigurement- another good one
Debauchery- 6FU ripoff, but ive enjoyed
Flesh Consumed- good album(sevared records stuff is usually good or shit)
hate eternal-overproduced, no variety

heres some upcoming ones im getting
Putrid Pile- could be good
being killed
cannibal corpse dvd(this could be my fav of the year)
disfigured
Six feet under
Unburied(sounds like a razorback band)
cant think of anything else

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:24 am 

Origin's Antithesis is impressive, and I did enjoy it quite a bit, which is quite an achievement for tech death with me. :P

From what I've heard so far (AKA not much), Unleashed's Hammer Battalion is on top of the '08 pack so far.

ODIN, SET ME FREE!
THIS DAY, BELONGS TO ME!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:07 am 

So how good is that Arghoslent? I sort of fell out of liking them a while ago, and if the new album is really fantastic then maybe I should check it out anyway.

levasty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 am 

Any recs for AMAZING tech death?
So far I have
Demilich and Gorguts

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:24 am 

Demilich isn't really technical, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Maybe Pavor is something you'd like, people seem to be getting wet in their pants anytime that band is mentioned.

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:30 am 

levasty wrote:
So far I have
Demilich and Gorguts

Iniquity (Especially on Five Across The Eyes) is some brilliantly catchy technical stuff, Psycroptic's first two albums are nearly essential for modern tech death listeners, and a final addition, though I personally don't tie them with DM, Martyr is good.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:31 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Origin - Antithesis

Origin and Martriden are great. Haven't heard Hour Of Penance, but if it's like the new Origin, I could be in for a treat.

I've enjoyed:

No Emotions - My Will (seriously, check it out)
Origin - Antithesis
Martriden - The Unsettling Dark
Infinitum - Behold Eradication
InAllSenses - The Experience
Hate (pol) - Morphosis
Emeth - Telesis
Aborted - Strychnine.213 (only heard this once, but seems pretty good)
Perimeter - Odium Humani Generis (way worse than their debut, but has some cool moments)
Brain Drill - Apocalyptic Feasting
Hate Eternal - Fury & Flames
Trinacria - Travel Now Journey Infinitely
Kataklysm - Prevail

There's going to be a lot more, for sure. I'm looking very much forward to Severed Savior, Gojira (if that's counted), Hectic Patterns, Neuraxis, and whatever else I discover. This has been one hell of a year for death metal, and metal in general.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:33 am 

levasty wrote:
So far I have
Demilich and Gorguts

Atheist
Gorod
Disharmonic Orchestra

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:37 am 

Obligatory mention of Cynic and Pestilence.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:44 am 

Empyreal wrote:
So how good is that Arghoslent? I sort of fell out of liking them a while ago, and if the new album is really fantastic then maybe I should check it out anyway.

I like it, but it's nothing to get incredibly excited over. "Incorrigible Biggotry" still seems better. Damn, I actually realise now that that's the only death metal album I've heard in full from this year that I've liked. I may have to check out some of the bands mentioned here.

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:54 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Emeth - Telesis

THIS. People aren't talking about this album enough.

Also Hate had an awesome release.
Arsis.
Krisiun.
Prostitute Disfigurement.
Unleashed.

The Monolith Deathcult, anyone?

'Thrashing like a Maniac' was the only thrash release this year, other than Testament's FoD.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:37 am 

Prodd wrote:
'Thrashing like a Maniac' was the only thrash release this year, other than Testament's FoD.

Whatchoo talking 'bout? Bonded by Blood's LP was released in June, Warbringer's LP was released in January, Torture Squad's Hellbound came out in March, Headshot's As Above, So Below also came out this year, plus Avenger of Blood's Death Brigade was released as well. Just to name a few.

EDIT: Whoops getting of topic there. Anyways, can someone recommend me some prog/death? Preferably something along the lines of Death.
we sail across the sea!

Nguruvilu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:06 am 

MMM88 wrote:
Cynic
Esqarial (excellent band from Poland, start with "Discoveries").
Atheist
Edge of Sanity (the two Crimson albums)
Textures
Nocturnus (sort of.. but they are pretty technical)

I finally managed to check out both Esqarial and Textures, though they weren't what I was looking for to be honest. Thanks for the recommendations however.
Kruel wrote:
Try Babylon Sad. There's a very good review of their album Kyrie.

Thanks for this recommendation. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Also, thanks to rexxz for making me check out Atrophy again. I guess I was having an off day when I first checked them out haha. Ultimately, Abominatrix, thanks for the recommendations but Atrocity doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. To each his own applies I guess hehe.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:11 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
Prodd wrote:

Whatchoo talking 'bout? Bonded by Blood's LP was released in June, Warbringer's LP was released in January, Torture Squad's Hellbound came out in March, Headshot's As Above, So Below also came out this year, plus Avenger of Blood's Death Brigade was released as well. Just to name a few.

EDIT: Whoops getting of topic there. Anyways, can someone recommend me some prog/death? Preferably something along the lines of Death.

Prog death? Cynic, Atheist, Pestilence (latest 2 albums) and Sadist.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:11 am 

colin040 wrote:
Wra1th1s wrote:
Prodd wrote:

Thanks! I knew about Cynic (fuck the vocoder!) Atheist (me likey) and Sadist, but thanks for recommending Pestilence! Will get them ASAP.
we sail across the sea!

SiorehymLincoln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:26 pm 

Pathological_Frolic wrote:
levasty wrote:
So far I have
Demilich and Gorguts

Iniquity (Especially on Five Across The Eyes) is some brilliantly catchy technical stuff, Psycroptic's first two albums are nearly essential for modern tech death listeners, and a final addition, though I personally don't tie them with DM, Martyr is good.

I have to complement you for your wonderful choice of recommending Iniquity for this category, not enough people pay attention to this band unfortunately, amazing stuff.

Their first album Serenadium is one of my favorite death metal albums of all time, though not nearly as 'tech' as Five across the eyes, its a very original piece of old school death metal, i haven't heard many things like it.

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:28 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:

WTF. Sorry, I seem to have spoken out of my ass that day. I have all those releases. Lol, college is screwing my head over. :D

Back to death metal, I don't see Krisiun discussed much on this forum and they happen to one of my favourite bands. Yeah, they're monotonous as fuck, but still, I haven't seen their name pop up once in all these months.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:56 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I'd like to know everyone's favorite death metal albums from 2008 thus far.

Cadaveric Crematorium - Grindpeace

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:22 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Wra1th1s wrote:
Prodd wrote:

Thanks! I knew about Cynic (fuck the vocoder!) Atheist (me likey) and Sadist, but thanks for recommending Pestilence! Will get them ASAP.

Hehe, you're welcome, and yeah i fucking hate those robot vocals on Cynic's focus. >.>

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:39 pm 

Prodd wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Emeth - Telesis

It's good, isn't it? Everything Emeth have done has been quality, and Telesis is no exception.

I've ordered some more death metal from 2008, including Hour Of Penance's "The Vile Conception" and Hectic Patterns' "Random". I'll ge getting Neuraxis' new one, as well as Krisiun and Severed Savior when they come out. Like I said earlier, this is a good year.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Sinvocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

It's good, but it's nowhere near as good as the previous albums. It seems more black metalish this time around, but with more melody than before. I don't want more melody, I want riffs! The riffs are decent, but just not as gratifying as before. IB is still supreme.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:06 pm 

Sinvocation wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It's good, but it's nowhere near as good as the previous albums. It seems more black metalish this time around, but with more melody than before. I don't want more melody, I want riffs! The riffs are decent, but just not as gratifying as before. IB is still supreme.

Hmm, well that sucks. Guess no band can keep it up forever, though.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:13 pm 

Prodd wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Emeth - Telesis

Also Hate had an awesome release.
Arsis.
Krisiun.
Prostitute Disfigurement.
Unleashed.

The Monolith Deathcult, anyone?

Man, I've been listening to TMDs newest cd and its really good. Too bad they're not very well known.

Sinvocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Sinvocation wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Hmm, well that sucks. Guess no band can keep it up forever, though.

It's still a good album, I think what I said was a little too harsh. Everyone else seems to be calling it their favorite Arghoslent yet, so.....

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:16 pm 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
Man, I've been listening to TMDs newest cd and its really good. Too bad they're not very well known.

Hmm, this quote is enough to get me to check them out. Once I'm done listening to Vomitory, I'll give these guys a listen.

EDIT: Hearing it. It's okay, but I don't know. Definitely different, that's for sure. Some parts are really good, but then they'll go into something else that's not quite as good. It needs some growing time.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:42 am 

MikeyC wrote:
MaliciousAwesome wrote:

Hmm, this quote is enough to get me to check them out. Once I'm done listening to Vomitory, I'll give these guys a listen.

EDIT: Hearing it. It's okay, but I don't know. Definitely different, that's for sure. Some parts are really good, but then they'll go into something else that's not quite as good. It needs some growing time.

Definitely give them a few goes before you judge them, I think its a fantastic album.

Anyone know of old school-ish albums that are still really 'brutal' sounding? I suppose something like Incantation's 'Onwards to Golgotha' and Convulse's 'World Without God'. Please avoid the too obvious examples.

Also, any more modern bands that play old school swedish death metal? Stuff like Repugnant, Nominon and Deathevocation.

Last edited by Hybrid_Killer on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:43 am 

Baphomet is one of the most brutal death metal bands to hav graced our presence with their music.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=953

Far more intense than these watered down, over produced death metal bands today.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:44 am 

rexxz wrote:
Baphomet is one of the most brutal death metal bands to hav graced our presence with their music.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=953

Far more intense than these watered down, over produced death metal bands today.

Thanks, but I'm already a big fan of The Dead Shall Inherit. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though, very good album.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:45 am 

Ok, how about Morpheus Descends? I'd place them even higher than Baphomet, which is by no means an insult to them.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:46 am 

rexxz wrote:
Ok, how about Morpheus Descends? I'd place them even higher than Baphomet, which is by no means an insult to them.

Great band. Ritual of Infinity is a monster of an album. Too bad I can't find it anywhere.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:47 am 

Bah! Search harder, padawan. Within yourself (or long hours of google) to find the answers you must seek.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:49 am 

Or ebay.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

rexxz wrote:
Bah! Search harder, padawan. Within yourself (or long hours of google) to find the answers you must seek.

The only place I'll probably be able to find it is eBay. But they usually have the original version. I want the reissue.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

Viral wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Great band. Ritual of Infinity is a monster of an album. Too bad I can't find it anywhere.

True, I've actually forgotten about getting into this band after trying and failing to locate a copy of either of their albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 290  Next