Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:12 am 

For anyone wondering about Torture's plans I was talking to Nick Nielsen, the guitarist yesterday and he told me...

Nick Nielsen wrote:
Torture played last weekend at the Thrasho De Mayo show in LA. It was a sold out show and everybody had lots of fun. Our next upcoming shows will be in El Paso on August 25th with Testament and probably in LA again in October with Obituary. I'll keep you posted.

There were several record label reps at the Thrasho show we are trying to woo. They liked us but said we were not 100%. They said they will come see us again at the Obituary show so we'll be practicing like mad until then. If we can get a new record deal, then of course we'll start recording new material. Until October though, looks like we'll be practicing our stage act.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:17 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Don Doty is a family man now with an established career.

I find it highly disturbing for the guy who sang on what I consider to be the most brutal thrash album ever to be an honest family man. This is just...wow. Ya know?
we sail across the sea!

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:52 am 

Remnants_Of_Gore wrote:
For anyone wondering about Torture's plans I was talking to Nick Nielsen, the guitarist yesterday and he told me...

Nick Nielsen wrote:
Torture played last weekend at the Thrasho De Mayo show in LA. It was a sold out show and everybody had lots of fun. Our next upcoming shows will be in El Paso on August 25th with Testament and probably in LA again in October with Obituary. I'll keep you posted.

There were several record label reps at the Thrasho show we are trying to woo. They liked us but said we were not 100%. They said they will come see us again at the Obituary show so we'll be practicing like mad until then. If we can get a new record deal, then of course we'll start recording new material. Until October though, looks like we'll be practicing our stage act.

Goddamnit damnit fuck. Why is it every time I'm not in California, they play a gig there.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 am 

For those wondering about black/thrash (from that other, newer thread), one that comes to mind is Devastator.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=18620

That one, actually. There are like 6 of them heh.

I own their album The End and it's pretty cool. Really intense, but noticably more black metal than thrash.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:14 pm 

rexxz wrote:
For those wondering about black/thrash (from that other, newer thread), one that comes to mind is Devastator.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=18620

That one, actually. There are like 6 of them heh.

I own their album The End and it's pretty cool. Really intense, but noticably more black metal than thrash.

Its nice to know at least one other person digs this band. I own all of their full-lengths except "Morbid Force" and you're definitely right about The End, it's the most BM-oriented out of all of them. Strange that it also seems to have the most low-end (out of the three I own, anyways). I think Nuclear Proliferation is probably the most accessible record they've made and the best starting point for people trying to get into Devastator. The End is fucking amazing in my opinion, but those first two song lengths probably tend to scare away the casual thrash listener.

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:07 am 

Hmm, looks like my question must have gotten buried in the middle of a retro thrash discussion. But anyways:

aces_high wrote:
Speaking of Type O Negative, I am looking for some thrash with vocals that sound like Peter Steele. Low and bassy ones. Anybody similar to Matt Barlow is also cool. I've just heard to many screamers lately. Also, does Steele sing the same way in Carnivore as he does in Type O Negative? I haven't heard any Carnivore yet so I wouldn't know.

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:36 am 

does any one here regard motorhead as thrash metal?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:38 am 

motorhead92 wrote:
does any one here regard motorhead as thrash metal?

Not me.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:41 am 

why not? i would definitely say they were at least the main inspiration of many thrash bands. state your reasons.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:41 am 

A huge influence, yes, but the music is heavy/speed metal.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:45 am 

you make a very valid point, i don't wanna sound like an idiot but please elaborate on just exactly what speed metal is.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:47 am 

motorhead92 wrote:
you make a very valid point, i don't wanna sound like an idiot but please elaborate on just exactly what speed metal is.

Fast heavy metal, maybe?

There is actually a thread on it.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=38724

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:01 am 

ok, thanks i will definitely check that out. i still think motorhead is pretty thrashy, especially in their later stuff like inferno, what bands would you reccomend?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:05 am 

Recommend? Thrash?

Dark Angel, Morbid Saint, and Demolition Hammer are my favourite bands.

You could just skim through this thread and check bands out, if you don't have any specific request.

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:07 am 

ok, ill take a look.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:44 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
Have you not heard the demo?

It has been three years since that demo, A LOT can happen in three years. Joining Exodus, for example.

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
Who says I'm riled up? You? You said one little blasphemous thing. I know Lee, and I've had this conversation with him many times before, dating back to 2005.

:lol: I'm known for my blasphemies so it's best to take me lightly, VERY lightly. I do believe that you know Lee and pals, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, I'll probably buy their album anyway. Surely it'll be the best thrash release in recent memory? Yay? Nay?

Sidenote: Why did Lee join Exodus anyway? It just takes him away from his much better band.

Lee joined Exodus because he is/was an Exodus fanboy, essentially. He doesn't even write any material for them. Maybe a few guitar lines here and there, like the intro to Children Of A Worthless God, and some solos, but that's it. He joined Exodus, mainly because of how good of a friend he is with Gary, and how he feels about the album Bonded By Blood, in particular. Imagine being able to join your favorite band. That's how it was for him...

He has openly stated he hates downtuning and shit. However, it's Gary's band, so he can't do much about it.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:10 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
Amerigo wrote:
Have you not heard the demo?

It has been three years since that demo, A LOT can happen in three years. Joining Exodus, for example.

Who says I'm riled up? You? You said one little blasphemous thing. I know Lee, and I've had this conversation with him many times before, dating back to 2005.

:lol: I'm known for my blasphemies so it's best to take me lightly, VERY lightly. I do believe that you know Lee and pals, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, I'll probably buy their album anyway. Surely it'll be the best thrash release in recent memory? Yay? Nay?

Sidenote: Why did Lee join Exodus anyway? It just takes him away from his much better band.

Lee joined Exodus because he is/was an Exodus fanboy, essentially. He doesn't even write any material for them. Maybe a few guitar lines here and there, like the intro to Children Of A Worthless God, and some solos, but that's it. He joined Exodus, mainly because of how good of a friend he is with Gary, and how he feels about the album Bonded By Blood, in particular. Imagine being able to join your favorite band. That's how it was for him...

He has openly stated he hates downtuning and shit. However, it's Gary's band, so he can't do much about it.

So, it's kinda like the whole "Tim Owens in Priest" thingy again. Both Exodus and Priest got fantastic new members but wrote utter shit for two albums and neither Owens or Altus was involved in the writing process. I guess you can't blame a guy for wanting to join his favorite band.
we sail across the sea!

sarcotalica
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:26 pm 

Hey I'm looking for some good middle late 80's raw brazilian thrash/death/black metal along the lines of sacrofago, Vulcano, and holucsto can anyone recemmend anything? i know that its a pretty sepcific (sp?) request but I've fallen in love with sacrofagos INRI album and i've come here to beg for more stuff like it

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 pm 

sarcotalica wrote:
Hey I'm looking for some good middle late 80's raw brazilian thrash/death/black metal along the lines of sacrofago, Vulcano, and holucsto can anyone recemmend anything? i know that its a pretty sepcific (sp?) request but I've fallen in love with sacrofagos INRI album and i've come here to beg for more stuff like it

Most of the 80's output on Cogumelo records was in the same vein as the records you mentioned. You can login and do a search on the archives for "Cogumelo" under labels and get a big fuckoff list of bands to look into.

More specifically I'd check out Mutilator (Bra), Psychic Possessor (Bra), and Attomica (Bra). If you're interested in a newer band that SOUNDS like the old 80's death/black/thrash movement look into Anal Vomit. I prefer their second album, but they're both great.

edit: One of the users here put together an INCREDIBLY comprehensive list of Cogumelo releases. If you comb through this you will find some great albums that have been long buried.

http://www.geocities.com/peterott/labels.html#F1

edit again: I can't believe I forgot Sextrash. Definitely get "Sexual Carnage" featuring D.D. Crazy.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:31 pm 

sarcotalica wrote:

Here are some more Brazilian releases in the same vein.
MX - Simoniacal
Chakal - Abominable Anno Domini
Mutilator - Immortal Force

Some non Brazillian releases in a similar vein are:
Schizo - Main Frame
Patecabra - El Horror
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

ichabod_cranium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:28 pm 

could someone point me in the direction of some great thrash in the vein of witchery, with lyrical topics that exclusively involve various dark subjects: satan, evil, zombies, shadows, skeletons, hordes of undead warriors, torturing small children, blahde fucking blah

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:47 pm 

Ok, After thinking about it for a while, I decided I'd probably get more results if I put this in here.

Could you recommend me bands that sound anything like Absu, especially their newer material (Tara)?

I really like their take on the black/thrash style, but I can't seem to find too many other bands that have a similar playing style. Any recommendations you could give me would be much appreciated.

TwistedFire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 pm 

I'm looking for something along the lines of Eternal Nightmare and The Ultra-Violence. Good, fast thrash with a bit of melody added to it, but not enough melody to make it any less brutal. Also, vocals like Vio-Lence's singer is a big plus.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 pm 

TwistedFire wrote:
I'm looking for something along the lines of Eternal Nightmare and The Ultra-Violence. Good, fast thrash with a bit of melody added to it, but not enough melody to make it any less brutal. Also, vocals like Vio-Lence's singer is a big plus.

This should be of some help.
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... 75&start=0
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 pm 

TwistedFire wrote:

You probably know this band, but try Overkill. Great riffs, and "melodic." The vocals aren't actually like Vio-lence's, but they're similar in that Blitz and Killian are both very unique.

Edit: Never mind... follow Visionary's link.

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 pm 

sarcotalica wrote:

i know it's pretty generic, but i like sepultura quite a bit.

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:55 pm 

DiscoDan wrote:
Ok, After thinking about it for a while, I decided I'd probably get more results if I put this in here.

Could you recommend me bands that sound anything like Absu, especially their newer material (Tara)?

I really like their take on the black/thrash style, but I can't seem to find too many other bands that have a similar playing style. Any recommendations you could give me would be much appreciated.

Bump.

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27 am 

does anyone have any tips for playing fingerstyle thrash bass?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 am 

You may enjoy the "For the Musicians" board.

sarcotalica
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 am 

thanks people for all your help I plan on sticking around for a while this is an awesome forum

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:39 am 

motorhead92 wrote:

I'm a fingerstyle thrash bassist (two fingers) and I can tell you this: your picking hand is going to suffer. A lot. Because of insane speeds you'll need to develop stamina. At any given moment when you're not playing the bass, run your fingers against an object to practice. If you do it a lot this really helps. As for the other hand, it will need to practice specifically on patters that are frequent. Examples:

8-6-5 or 8-7-5. You'll be amazed to find out how much those two runs are used. You can "cheat" on the fast parts if you're having difficulties (doing half the amount of notes in a tremolo riff) but you can't cheat with your other hand ... so make sure both are strong.

Oh and don't forget to warm up. Ever. Anyway, you'll probably find more help in the musicians forum.

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:46 am 

DGYDP wrote:
motorhead92 wrote:

I'm a fingerstyle thrash bassist (two fingers) and I can tell you this: your picking hand is going to suffer. A lot. Because of insane speeds you'll need to develop stamina. At any given moment when you're not playing the bass, run your fingers against an object to practice. If you do it a lot this really helps. As for the other hand, it will need to practice specifically on patters that are frequent. Examples:

8-6-5 or 8-7-5. You'll be amazed to find out how much those two runs are used. You can "cheat" on the fast parts if you're having difficulties (doing half the amount of notes in a tremolo riff) but you can't cheat with your other hand ... so make sure both are strong.

Oh and don't forget to warm up. Ever. Anyway, you'll probably find more help in the musicians forum.

thanks alot for the help, i will definitely try these things out in the future.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:11 am 

If you're doing finger style then you should definitely be playing on three or more fingers. As DGDYP said, you're gonna need stamina, and playing with three fingers is much less tiring then playing with two.

Also, practice chromatic patterns (1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5-etc..) to really get used to moving around with your left hand (or right hand if you're a lefty) and making small jumps easily.

I do the running my fingers across any surface whenever I'm sitting down somewhere and my mom always yells at me to shut up :lol:

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:21 pm 

Does anybody know when Get Thrashed is coming out? It looks promising. Also, when IS the new Heathen coming out?
we sail across the sea!

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 pm 

Wra1th1s wrote:
Does anybody know when Get Thrashed is coming out? It looks promising. Also, when IS the new Heathen coming out?

I think Get Thrashed came out already.

motorhead92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:45 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
If you're doing finger style then you should definitely be playing on three or more fingers. As DGDYP said, you're gonna need stamina, and playing with three fingers is much less tiring then playing with two.

Also, practice chromatic patterns (1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5-etc..) to really get used to moving around with your left hand (or right hand if you're a lefty) and making small jumps easily.

I do the running my fingers across any surface whenever I'm sitting down somewhere and my mom always yells at me to shut up :lol:

thank you as well, when you say 3 fingers do you mean alternating like(1-2-3-2-1-2-3) or (1-2-3-1-2-3)? and what would be a good thing for a novice to learn? thanks again.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:00 pm 

So, I revisisted Vendetta (Ger) recently ... holy fuckle berries. These guys are downright insane. My net was down for awhile so I couldn't look their information up, but I wouldn't have guessed they came out of Germany, then again I think it'd be impossible to guess either way. There's so many different influences it's insane and the guitar work is just fucking crazy.

Don't do what I did and let them get thrown in a pile of other random stuff for so long, damn they're good.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:01 am 

Xeogred wrote:
So, I revisisted Vendetta (Ger) recently ... holy fuckle berries. These guys are downright insane. My net was down for awhile so I couldn't look their information up, but I wouldn't have guessed they came out of Germany, then again I think it'd be impossible to guess either way. There's so many different influences it's insane and the guitar work is just fucking crazy.

Don't do what I did and let them get thrown in a pile of other random stuff for so long, damn they're good.

Yup, I <3 Go and Live...Stay and Die! :headbang:
we sail across the sea!

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:19 am 

So, I'm always up for more retro-thrash bands, fucking love this movement. I have so far:

Warbringer
Fueled by Fire
Avenger of Blood
Merciless Death
Nocturnal Breed
Dekapitator
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder
Ares Kingdom
Bonded by Blood
Evile
Fastkill
Municipal Waste
Skeletonwitch
Blood Tsunami
Lich King
Toxic Holocaust
and most importantly Violator...

So what I ask you fellow thrashers, is there any other retro-thrash that I am missing that is essential?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:21 am 

Gama Bomb!!

The newest album Citizen Brain is one of the best retro thrash albums for sure.

Oh, and you're missing Sauron, too. Dirty raw black/thrash.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 136  Next