Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Quorthon88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:50 pm 

PlagueRages wrote:
I listen to a few BM bands, but I'm looking for more albums in the vein of Gorgoroth's Under The Sign Of Hell, which I fucking love, I'm more of a death/thrash metal fan so I don't know much about the Black Metal genre really. Anybody got any suggestions?

Check Enthroned's Armoured Bestial Hell, I think you'll love it.

mikeabo123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:12 am 

Hey guys. Im kind of a newb when it comes to black metal, really, I just havent heard a whole lot of stuff. Right now im looking for a band that is fucking COLD! Im not into alot of brutality, not my stuff. Atmospheric stuff that makes you feel like your walking through a dark forest, surrounded by the snow and the ice and death awaits you as you keep walking....Bit dramatic there, but yeah. Bands kind of like:

Imperial Crystalline Entombment (Very polished, but amazing wintery stuff! WE ARE FUCKING ICEEEEEEEE)
Paysage D'Hiver (RAW)
Xasthur (not so cold, but he/they have that dark, deathly sound..)
Darkthrone (Pretty chilling, great sound. Especially Transilvanian Hunger-era)

Yeah, thanks for all the help everyone.

Chrystus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:57 am 

Sacramentum, preferably the album "Far Away From The Sun" moledic snowstorm and is light on brutality just like you mentioned and Although their music has some "beautiful parts" it is still "Cold".

When I read the second part of your sentence a particular song came into mind and that is "Manchmal Wenn Sie Schlaft" by Nargaroth from the album "Geliebte Des Regens" so check that out. That album definetly embodies the sort of feeling you are looking for.

Your BM request seems rather generic as many bands fit the criteria you are looking for, but these two are what first jumped into my mind so here you go.
Let us ride the winds of blood

mikeabo123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:36 am 

Im sorry I couldnt be more descriptive. Will go check out the stuff you recommended, I appreciate it, and thanks.

Chrystus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:41 am 

Don't be sorry I don't mind.
Let us ride the winds of blood

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:24 am 

Kvisling wrote:
I'm looking for bands that use that vocal style that suicidal bands always have, that really high pitch wail that's sometimes seems far away, but that are not suicidal/depressive bands themselves. I hate that style of black metal, with way overlong song and patently homosexual "melencholy" melodies.

Aaskereia should do the trick. Vocals are very much alike Burzum's, but the music is quite fast with lots of blastbeats and doublebass drums.

GoatSodomyGasMask wrote:
Can anyone recommend anything similar to the strange post-punk black metal Amesouers and Alcest play, preferably with similar vocals?

Keep an eye on the band Onryō ( http://www.myspace.com/onryokaidan , you can download that song from last.fm). As far as I know the guy is writing a release now.

DarkenedOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:19 am 

I want my black metal with a very dark atmosphere and varying from very fast tempos to ambient like fillers or from very fast drumming to headbanging riffs. Some of my favorite black metal albums to give hints are:

Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Thunderbolt - Inhuman Ritual Massmurder
Nargaroth - Black Metal 1st Krieg
Burzum - Filosofem
You never know about what darker than black is if you did not try to hear something different than usual, something darker than the most extreme that you've known. By then, you'll journey into what is more evil than Satan, what is more kvlt than death, itself.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 am 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
Keep an eye on the band Onryō ( http://www.myspace.com/onryokaidan , you can download that song from last.fm). As far as I know the guy is writing a release now.

That's a very, very interesting song. Thanks a lot :)

http://www.metalfighters.com/

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:42 am 

tethys wrote:
From what I heard of Woodtemple(which was one EP, going by the sound of that), you should try out newer Graveland. Both have a similar "epic" style, though I very much prefer Graveland's. Try Fire of Awakening.

For Butterfly Temple, I would go with some of the other Russian bands in that style. Ashen Light and Alkonost are pretty good. Older Ashen Light is probably your best bet. Veles Song is a pretty good album from Ashen Light.

I've already gotten into Graveland a little bit, thanks though, as I can see some similarities there.

As for the Butterfly Temple recommendations, I'll definitely have to look into those two, as I haven't heard / heard of them yet.

Much appreciated!

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:55 am 

I just listened to Northern Breeze's debut, so I was wondering, could someone recommend me something like that. Melodic, but not so melodic. Something raw, like Blut Aus Nord

To sum it all up, rec. me something like:
Blut Aus Nord
Northern Breeze
Verdunkeln

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:07 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
I just listened to Northern Breeze's debut, so I was wondering, could someone recommend me something like that. Melodic, but not so melodic.

Ah, what a great album. You'll like Ravencult too if you liked Northern Breeze. Northern Breeze in overal take influence from both the Hellenic and the Norwegian BM scene. You may also like Nocternity and Agatus (well, Agatus are way too NWOBHM-influenced but anyway). Shores Of Sheol may be of your liking too.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 am 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:
I just listened to Northern Breeze's debut, so I was wondering, could someone recommend me something like that. Melodic, but not so melodic.

Ah, what a great album. You'll like Ravencult too if you liked Northern Breeze. Northern Breeze in overal take influence from both the Hellenic and the Norwegian BM scene. You may also like Nocternity and Agatus (well, Agatus are way too NWOBHM-influenced but anyway). Shores Of Sheol may be of your liking too.

Thanks walking encyclopedia of black metal ;)

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:
I just listened to Northern Breeze's debut, so I was wondering, could someone recommend me something like that. Melodic, but not so melodic. Something raw, like Blut Aus Nord

Blut Aus Nord
Northern Breeze
Verdunkeln

Yeah!, NB is a great band, Mors recommended it to me some time ago, and I find it perfect for what I was looking for. Now, I have one Blut Aus Nord album (Mort) and I didn´t like it. Then I went to the reviews and found that all other albums haver better scores, so, I read all the reviews and can´t decide which should I get, help please!!!
Not hearsay but the will of man

Suechtler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:44 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:

Blut Aus Nord
Northern Breeze
Verdunkeln

Yeah!, NB is a great band, Mors recommended it to me some time ago, and I find it perfect for what I was looking for. Now, I have one Blut Aus Nord album (Mort) and I didn´t like it. Then I went to the reviews and found that all other albums haver better scores, so, I read all the reviews and can´t decide which should I get, help please!!!

Get their first two, especially Ultima Thulee, really great black metal full of atmosphere.

ChazCarnell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm 

Can anyone recommend bands similar to Windir? I love their keyboard oarts and pure craziness and would love some more bands in the same vein :D

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:37 pm 

ChazCarnell wrote:
Can anyone recommend bands similar to Windir? I love their keyboard oarts and pure craziness and would love some more bands in the same vein :D

Mistur is supposedly similar. I haven't heard it in a long while, but as far as I remember, Windir was far better.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

ChazCarnell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:47 pm 

Kruel wrote:
ChazCarnell wrote:

Mistur is supposedly similar. I haven't heard it in a long while, but as far as I remember, Windir was far better.

Indeed, I feel that Windir will be very hard to beat. But thanks for the suggestion, I will check them out :)

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:23 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
DawnOfEternity wrote:

If you haven't already, check out Lifelover's two albums (Erotik & Pulver). They have the depressive sounding vocals. It's shoegazey black metal.
I personally, love them.

SamuraiZach0
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:29 pm 

I say if you want good black metal with a raw sound
Definately check out Behexen or Satanic Warmaster

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:20 pm 

boxoxob wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
DawnOfEternity wrote:

If you haven't already, check out Lifelover's two albums (Erotik & Pulver). They have the depressive sounding vocals. It's shoegazey black metal.
I personally, love them.

I have the albums but I've yet to listen them carefully. I guess I have to do that soon.

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:51 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
boxoxob wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
DawnOfEternity wrote:

I personally, love them.

I have the albums but I've yet to listen them carefully. I guess I have to do that soon.

When I first heard Erotik, I couldn't stop listening to it for a week straight (I think growing up on Sonic Youth has something to do with it).
Pulver is much more traditional in the black metal sense, but it's definitely Lifelover.

Edit: I guess it's not so much "shoegazey" as it is just noise rock.

Last edited by boxoxob on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 pm 

ChazCarnell wrote:
Kruel wrote:
ChazCarnell wrote:

Indeed, I feel that Windir will be very hard to beat. But thanks for the suggestion, I will check them out :)

We can all agree that Windir can't be beat, but try Cor Scorpii. They released their debut Monument. I think you would like it, very atmospheric.

Can someone rec me something like Sear Bliss, epic and atmospheric. It's a really broad rec, so just name a few. I already know Summoning though :p

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:05 am 

boxoxob wrote:
When I first heard Erotik, I couldn't stop listening to it for a week straight (I think growing up on Sonic Youth has something to do with it).
Pulver is much more traditional in the black metal sense, but it's definitely Lifelover.

Edit: I guess it's not so much "shoegazey" as it is just noise rock.

I know them, and love them a lot. They're 5th on my last.fm for a reason. I had the same with the addiction in the beginning. I started with Pulver and couldn't stop listening to it. M/S Salmonella is an amazing song.

ChazCarnell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:46 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
ChazCarnell wrote:
Kruel wrote:
ChazCarnell wrote:

We can all agree that Windir can't be beat, but try Cor Scorpii. They released their debut Monument. I think you would like it, very atmospheric.

Just checked out their myspace, exactly what I was looking for :D Thank you!

boxoxob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 am 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
M/S Salmonella is an amazing song.

:nods:

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:

Can someone rec me something like Sear Bliss, epic and atmospheric. It's a really broad rec, so just name a few. I already know Summoning though :p

Sear Bliss are very good and they manage to create a great atmosphere with their trombones. Now, you won't find a lot of other BM bands with trombones (personally, I do not know any such band so I guess it doesn't exist but you can always check Necromantia, In Lungua Mortua and such acts) but you will find a a lot of very good atmospheric BM bands. From the top of my head and without some extra notes, check out Altoriu Seseliai, Eldrig, Varathron, Bornholm, Fanisk, Agatus, Nocternity, Zemial, Kawir, Fiendish Nymph and Order Of The Ebon Hand. I'm a bit busy right now but I'll return with more recommendations. I hope I helped.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:26 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Now, you won't find a lot of other BM bands with trombones (personally, I do not know any such band so I guess it doesn't exist.

You don't know every BM band that exists....

Todesfaust

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=28122

But I should say I don't think this band really counts.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

7h1m0
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:41 pm 

I wanted to know what the name Anaal Nathrakh means if it means anything at all. I also want to know the right way to pronounce it.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:45 pm 

7h1m0 wrote:
I wanted to know what the name Anaal Nathrakh means if it means anything at all. I also want to know the right way to pronounce it.

The name comes from Merlin's Charm of Making in John Boorman's Excalibur (1981). Given Michael Everson's transcription, Anaal Nathrakh means "serpent's breath".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaal_Nathrakh

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:14 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Now, you won't find a lot of other BM bands with trombones (personally, I do not know any such band so I guess it doesn't exist.

You don't know every BM band that exists....

Unfortunately, I don't know every BM band yet :(

Kruel wrote:
Todesfaust

Interesting band. Thanks for listing them. But why don't they count?

Underkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 pm 

Are there any Black Metal bands that sound really slow, harsh, raw(but not lo-fi), nihilistic, heavy etc. Basically anything that sounds like a BM version of Winter's 'Into Darkness' album.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Todesfaust

Interesting band. Thanks for listing them. But why don't they count?

Because they used to have a live member who played the trombone. Well, you could count them, but I'm not sure if they actually used trombone on their releases.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:57 pm 

There is something I would like to ask:

Forgotten Woods have used on Sjel av natten a special kind of reverb in the vocals and the same style can be recognized on Av Aske of Min Kniv...

Are there more bands which use this in the same manner?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

7h1m0
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:33 pm 

Kruel wrote:
7h1m0 wrote:

The name comes from Merlin's Charm of Making in John Boorman's Excalibur (1981). Given Michael Everson's transcription, Anaal Nathrakh means "serpent's breath".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaal_Nathrakh

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 pm 

Can you guys recommend me black metal bands that uses acoustic guitar/piano interludes or parts such as Dissection and Ulver ? I'd prefer classical guitar/piano over folk but folks still fine. Something with a real romantic or somber. I also know Agalloch but I'm very new to black metal in general in that i have not even listened to most of the classics.

thrashmetalhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:03 am 

I'm looking for really cold sounding black metal. A sound similar to that of Blut Aus Nord's first album.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:08 am 

thrashmetalhead wrote:
I'm looking for really cold sounding black metal. A sound similar to that of Blut Aus Nord's first album.

2 really good bands you should check out are Darkspace and Paysage d'Hiver. They are very talented, raw, cold sounding bands. I recommend Darkspace II by Darkspace. :D

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:50 pm 

I just re-discovered the awesomeness of Darkthrone's The Cult Is Alive. I also quite enjoy Blackthrone, although their vocalist sucks ass. I'm basically looking for more punkish BM in this vein. I'm listening to Fuck off and Die now (the band, not the Darkthrone album) and it sounds very enjoyable.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:15 pm 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
I just re-discovered the awesomeness of Darkthrone's The Cult Is Alive. I also quite enjoy Blackthrone, although their vocalist sucks ass. I'm basically looking for more punkish BM in this vein. I'm listening to Fuck off and Die now (the band, not the Darkthrone album) and it sounds very enjoyable.

And now for some painfully obvious suggestions:

"Fuck You All" by Carpathian Forest has a similar punk-influenced vibe. You could also try the Nattefrost and Dodsferd albums.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:31 pm 

Thanks. Dodsferd sounds very nice. Also I never really bothered about CF, but the new one sounds like fun. I never checked out Nattefrost, probably because I always get the impression that he's dumb as fuck, but it doesn't sound bad at all.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 142  Next