Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 pm 

I enjoy Snow Leopard but I don't remember any other songs on the album. Hmmm.

You guys heard Visigoth? Flew under my radar but this is pretty awesome, I'd put it up there with Eternal Champion and Stone Dagger for awesome up and coming US trad metal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:11 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Great album, shame it gets panned by most.

After listening to that song, put me firmly in the group that would pan it, assuming this is representative of the whole album. Saccharine and boring with a terrible vocalist. This is like the heavy metal equivalent of lousy radio pop-rock.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:55 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Man, fuck Iced Earth. How they have managed to assume (and maintain) their 'above average' position baffles me. I've heard every album and even seen them live a few times. Aside from the verses of "The Devil to Pay" from the Gettysburg trilogy, there is nothing remotely good about their music.

I cannot wait to flip them off and walk out after Sabaton next month.

Dude...Burnt Offerings slays anything Sabaton has ever done!!

Like your reviews?

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:05 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Great album, shame it gets panned by most.

After listening to that song, put me firmly in the group that would pan it, assuming this is representative of the whole album. Saccharine and boring with a terrible vocalist. This is like the heavy metal equivalent of lousy radio pop-rock.

I don't think it's bad, but it definitely sounds like metal for the pop rock fan or under 30 crowd. Stuff like Battle Beast or Steel Panther. Nothing technically wrong with them, just incredibly vapid.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:38 am 

Uh, wait, are you guys still talking about Twisted Tower Dire? I was never a big fan of them and am only just now listening to a few songs from their latest album, but how is this in any way "metal for the pop rock fan"? Steel Panther, really?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:45 am 

Battle Beast is really fun, they're not vapid, just simple.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:47 am 

Nahsil wrote:
You guys heard Visigoth? Flew under my radar but this is pretty awesome, I'd put it up there with Eternal Champion and Stone Dagger for awesome up and coming US trad metal.

I've heard of Visigoth but Eternal Champion is new to me. I'm checking them out now, they rock! I'd love to hear an album of this.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:12 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Battle Beast is really fun, they're not vapid, just simple.

No, they're incredibly vapid. I don't like them, but being vapid isn't inherently bad. Early Motley Crue is vapid, but still fun to listen to.

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Uh, wait, are you guys still talking about Twisted Tower Dire? I was never a big fan of them and am only just now listening to a few songs from their latest album, but how is this in any way "metal for the pop rock fan"? Steel Panther, really?

I'm just going off that one song. Don't really care for TTD and the Steel Panther comparison wasn't based on their sound. The super sugary melodies and the sing along verses and chorus is something that would attract someone who likes more mainstream music. Put it this way: I could see someone who likes music like Avenged Sevenfold or Evanescence listening to that song or Battle Beast. I couldn't see them enjoying something like early Fates Warning or Sacred Oath.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:04 am 

I'll accept sugary and sing-a-long, but the same applies to Hardworlder-era Slough Feg and any number of bouncy melodic retrospective metal bands. The song reminds me more of A Sultan's Ransom-era Cloven Hoof than anything, let alone Evanescence (unless I've heard all the wrong Evanescence songs all this time), so I can't see how a fan of the latter would be more likely to be partial to it than the former. There's plenty of vapid traditional metal out there, and it doesn't even have to be a bad thing.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:35 am 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

I've heard of Visigoth but Eternal Champion is new to me. I'm checking them out now, they rock! I'd love to hear an album of this.

Last I heard they have an EP coming out, not sure what the status is on that.

I'm just happy I got to see their debut live show, OPENING FOR MANILLA ROAD (and Speedwolf).

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
Put it this way: I could see someone who likes music like Avenged Sevenfold or Evanescence listening to that song or Battle Beast. I couldn't see them enjoying something like early Fates Warning or Sacred Oath.

http://www.last.fm/user/Zelkiiro/charts ... pe=artists
#19 and #44.

Where is your God now?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14 am 

Haven't heard new TTD but Crest of the Martyrs and Netherworlds are definitely not for pop rock fans. Neither is Battle Beast for that matter.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am 

I bet nobody can beat my #3 Manilla Road and then #58 50 Cent for polar opposites :D

http://www.last.fm/user/Nahsil/charts

Hahah that's awesome: Agent Steel, Graveyard, *cough50centcough*, Grave Digger, Machine Men, Manowar, Bruce Dickinson, Hibria, Dio, Bathory...

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 am 

mjollnir wrote:
Exigence wrote:
Man, fuck Iced Earth. How they have managed to assume (and maintain) their 'above average' position baffles me. I've heard every album and even seen them live a few times. Aside from the verses of "The Devil to Pay" from the Gettysburg trilogy, there is nothing remotely good about their music.

I cannot wait to flip them off and walk out after Sabaton next month.

Dude...Burnt Offerings slays anything Sabaton has ever done!!

Because of the ubiquitous of the Iced Earth brand, I've checked them out/bought albums/been told about them since like 2001. I've seen them live twice. I even listened to Barlow's new band that was essentially, another Iced Earth. It's not my style of metal at all. Typical USPM, ie. a complete aversion to hooky songwriting. I can group them with the likes of Jag Panzer, Nevermore and any band James Rivera has fronted. Critical darlings but nothing I come back to.

I can't explain it any better. USPM is just bland.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:20 am 

Whoa, Iced Earth are generic power/thrash crap, not USPM, except maybe very early on. And USPM is FULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of hooks. I mean, what do you normally listen to? You must really hate extreme metal...

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:54 am 

Extreme metal I like: Hail of Bullets, last 2 God Dethroned, Bolt Thrower, Ex Deo, Kataklysm, Amon Amarth and a hand full of others...

My normal power metal diet (that I guess is akin to what the States offer) is Sabaton, Tarot, Hammerfall, Paragon, Iron Savior, Accept, U.D.O., Grave Digger, Holy Martyr, Sinner/Primal Fear (though they both have REALLY fallen off in the last 10 years) and I guess Judas Priest and King Diamond if you want to lump it all together.

I will say though...Argus' last album was one of the best of 2013. Totally odd choice for me.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:43 pm 

i would like to discover the true genius of power metal, the musicians or vocalists who makes the difference, specially the new ones.
Everybody knows Hansen, Kiske, Kusch, DeFeis, DeMaio, Schaffer and from the last past 15 years there's someone who makes the difference?
Maybe Sammet, Turilli, and . . .

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:33 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Haven't heard new TTD but Crest of the Martyrs and Netherworlds are definitely not for pop rock fans.

It is much more straight forward and rocking/catchy than Crest. Big sing-a-long chorus' etc. I think it's done really well in that it's still firmly "genuine" metal (for lack of a better term) and is supremely catchy without crossing into the realm of something like Sabaton that is basically pop music with a "metal" costume on... if that makes any sense.

http://cruzdelsurmusic.bandcamp.com/album/make-it-dark
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:38 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/ranger-shock-skull

Fuckin' kick ass, even Exigence will be able to lift weights with the help of Ranger!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 pm 

pop music with a "metal" costume on...

Ooh, recommend more music like that please!*

*no chick singers

Last edited by Exigence on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:43 pm 

.. don't leave his nuts this tense.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 am 

From HELSTAR's official Facebook;

"we would like to take this opportunity to announce another big surprise for the old-school fans. The new album features an instrumental co-written by a phenomenal and very well respected guitarist formerly of NEVERMORE, SANCTUARY, and founding member of his current project CONQUERING DYSTOPIA. Please give it up for our special guest on track five, "Isla de las Muñecas", none other than Mr. Jeff Loomis!!!!

HELSTAR guitarist Larry Barragan reflected on the collaboration by saying, "This is definitely a highlight in our career! Jeff is such a great friend and to actually be able to join forces to write a song with him is just beyond anything I could imagine for the new album."

1. Fall of Dominion
2. Eternal Black
3. This Wicked Nest
4. Souls Cry
5. Isla De Las Muñecas
6. Cursed
7. It Has Risen
8. Defy the Swarm
9. Magormissabib

This is the first track off the album for those who haven't heard it yet;

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 am 

Metantoine wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/ranger-shock-skull

Fuckin' kick ass, even Exigence will be able to lift weights with the help of Ranger!

UUUUUUUUUUGGHHHHHH Ranger rules so hard. That laugh...

Exigence wrote:
pop music with a "metal" costume on...

Ooh, recommend more music like that please!*

*no chick singers

I think I only know who Sabaton is because of you!

That is a realm in which I do not dabble.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:30 am 

I heard "Fall of Dominion" off that Helstar album and while I really want to like it - it's very earnest and spirited - it's just not all that great.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:42 am 

^I kinda felt the same way. It's got some rad parts that locked me in, some cool parts that made me think of Immortal Soul, but then there were parts where I'd lose interest.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:47 pm 

The new Sonata Arctica and Delain leaked on the same day?

That's funny...my birthday's not for another 2 months...

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:54 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I can't explain it any better. USPM is just bland.

Iced Earth aren't USPM.

HamburgerBoy wrote:
I'll accept sugary and sing-a-long, but the same applies to Hardworlder-era Slough Feg and any number of bouncy melodic retrospective metal bands. The song reminds me more of A Sultan's Ransom-era Cloven Hoof than anything, let alone Evanescence (unless I've heard all the wrong Evanescence songs all this time), so I can't see how a fan of the latter would be more likely to be partial to it than the former. There's plenty of vapid traditional metal out there, and it doesn't even have to be a bad thing.

Hardworlder-era Slough Feg are bouncy and upbeat, but I wouldn't call them "sugary," and they're certainly not vapid. I can't really see much similarity between them and that TTD song at all. That song certainly didn't sound at all like Cloven Hoof to my ears.

It was essentially a trite, substance-less radio pop rock song with heavier guitars. Completely one-dimensional and uninteresting.

Hell, I love some poppy bands (Flow-era Conception, for one), but there has to be substance and emotional depth to match the catchy exterior.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:26 pm 

What do you think of their older shit though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTq6fnyAje0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBSbzYrSr9k

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 pm 

Hahah, I KNEW one of those tracks had to be Axes & Honor. It took me months and months to warm up to Crest of the Martyrs, and I hardly pull it out often, but there ARE some redeeming qualities and I wouldn't call them vapid. At least not on that release.

"We'll reprogram their children, to fight in our name!" <--- That's killer.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Crest of the Martyrs isn't groundbreaking or anything, but it's a solid, enjoyable heavy-metal romp. It seems to me the band never really lived up to their potential, though - a bit more songwriting ambition and variation would have gone a long way.

Last edited by Oblarg on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:32 pm 

There are a lot better bands overall - especially in the 80s - but I just fuckin' love those two albums and consider them prime examples of what trad metal is - they check every box.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Are you turning 15 again?

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 am 

I'm listening http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ma ... -Linn/4909 and i love how it sounds, can anyone recommend me something like this?

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 am 

Just heard the new Sonata Arctica. Them saying it's back to the power metal days is a big lie. It's Stone Grows Her Name 2.

They did the same with Days Of Grays when they fooled everyone releasing Flag In The Ground as lead single and say it represented the album. This time with Wolves Die Young.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:57 am 

Sounds good to me, SGHN is awesome. The three songs I've heard are all at least good if not great ("Cloud Factory").

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:07 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Sounds good to me, SGHN is awesome. The three songs I've heard are all at least good if not great ("Cloud Factory").

It's still a really good album, but yeah--it ain't no Ecliptica.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:10 am 

Well, none of their other albums are. The closest we'll get is a Reckoning Night kinda sound which I definitely hear echoes of on this album. It's cool with me - there doesn't need to be a second Ecliptica and there really couldn't ever be.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:12 am 

It's closer to SGHN than any other of their albums by far. And after 3-4 listens Cloud Factory is the highlight of the album. :ugh:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:56 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Are you turning 15 again?

Ouch

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:49 pm 

metroplex wrote:
It's closer to SGHN than any other of their albums by far. And after 3-4 listens Cloud Factory is the highlight of the album. :ugh:

For me it's a tie between "Cloud Factory," "Blood," and "The Wolves Die Young." "Running Lights" and "Half a Marathon Man" are pretty fantastic, too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435 ... 625  Next