Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:41 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Razorwyre album is truly great. Not only does it have riffs and awesome solos up the ass, but the vocals are great (though it does feel like he's trying a bit to hard to sound like Coklin at times and some of his high notes can be iffy)

Watch what you say about my Z Chylde, mate!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:54 am 

Fucking Dark Quarterer.

The s/t is probably in my top 10 (maybe 15 or 20 idk, hard to say) heavy metal albums, so good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Sunslash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:14 am 

Has anyone heard the newest Grave Digger (Clash of the Gods) ? From the multiple reviews I've read it is one of their best, plus I liked the Home at Last EP , so I'm pretty stoked for this one.

Last edited by Sunslash on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:02 pm 

Id say it is their best since "Rheingold" , also heavier. It's got lots of experimentation, mostly with keyboards. It has maybe 1 or 2 fillers, which is a lot less than their previous 4 albums. The bass is nicely mixed and Chris's voice sounds better than ever. It has many hooks, though not as many as in their trilogy albums. Also they need catchier riffs like in "Heart of Darkness"

Id rate it 90/100

*Edit. Man this album gets better and better after each listen, definitely a grower.

Last edited by metroplex on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 pm 

Cool, I didn't know there was a new Grave Digger this year, I will have to check it out.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:39 am 

There should be more stuff like Manticora. Those catchy, fairly unique, somewhat technical, heavy ass riffs and leads/solos...I used to hate their singer, but he's grown on me recently.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:29 am 

I heard Grave Digger's new EP, it was boring as shit.

Anyway, favourite Exciter albums, gents?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:40 pm 

I like their first five up to "Exciter (O.T.T.)" pretty much. It's all kind of samey so a bit hard to nail it down, but can't go wrong with those in my book.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 pm 

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=178897

So apparently the original line-up of Satan have gotten together and are planning a new album to be released sometime next year (probably). Normally I'd be all scowls and jeers for another legendary band "reuniting" but these guys genuinely have never let me down. Whether it's Satan, Blind Fury, Pariah...they really seem to have the golden touch. I'm hoping this glorious streak isn't let down by a big, dumb, hollow production job. If anyone has earned my trust and cautious optimism its Russ fuckin' Tippins.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=178897

So apparently the original line-up of Satan have gotten together and are planning a new album to be released sometime next year (probably). Normally I'd be all scowls and jeers for another legendary band "reuniting" but these guys genuinely have never let me down. Whether it's Satan, Blind Fury, Pariah...they really seem to have the golden touch. I'm hoping this glorious streak isn't let down by a big, dumb, hollow production job. If anyone has earned my trust and cautious optimism its Russ fuckin' Tippins.

Didn't read the article, but there is a live vid of them on YT playing two new songs, and they sound awesome.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm 

Best news I've ever heard. Brian Ross still has it, and it's a sin each year that goes by without Russ Tippins and Steve Ramsey teaming up together. I'd love nothing more than for them to actually reform permanently and get out a few more albums. If the production is anything like Blitzkrieg's modern stuff, I'd have no issues with it.

I think modern production jobs have generally gotten better over the years too, so yeah. I'm not too fearful of them messing it up there, hopefully.

Awesome news.

EDIT: Holy shit these new songs are on fire!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:48 pm 

Soooo, I just noticed that Riot's MA page says that Mike Tirelli is now the vocalist? When did this happen?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 pm 

Wait, what? THE Mike Tirelli you mean? Messiah's Kiss' Mike FUCKING Tirelli? Singing for goddamn RIOT?!?! I DEMAND MORE INFO AND A NEW RECORD ASAP!!!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:21 pm 

After a quick search, I couldn't find any info on it, not on their official page or official Facebook, so I don't know what's going on really.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm 

So here's a new Satan's Host song played live from the upcoming album (I assume).

It's not the most amazing quality but I'm definitely liking what I hear.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Wait, what? THE Mike Tirelli you mean? Messiah's Kiss' Mike FUCKING Tirelli? Singing for goddamn RIOT?!?! I DEMAND MORE INFO AND A NEW RECORD ASAP!!!

Nico only grows more psychotically intense over time.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
So here's a new Satan's Host song played live from the upcoming album (I assume).

Hilarious. It won't take them long to release more material at this rate than Jag Panzer did in their entire career? haha...

I would love for this style to kick off. Blends of darker styles with a melodic/clear singer, they make it work so well.

Damn Conklin kicks ass here!!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:58 pm 

IIIIIIIIIIIII ONCE SAW A PRIEST
BURN IN THE FLAMES OF NORWEGIAN WOOD

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Eh. He's great and all but Tony Moore is way better, they better have stuck with him...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 pm 

I really like Tony Moore too, but I prefer Mike Tirelli by a long shot. Dude has everything; a wide range, versatility, power, bite. He's simply an all around great metal singer, and I love the idea of him fronting a top notch band such as Riot.
Necroticism174 about me wrote:
Nico only grows more psychotically intense over time.

To quote an artist I know you love, "it's all downhill from here".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 pm 

Would it even sound like Riot at all anymore if Tirelli, who has fronted a dozen bands, fronted them, and without Mark Reale's guitar playing? I dunno. Seems like it'd just be another generic, if entertaining, modern power metal band if that's true. Hopefully it's better than what I'm picturing.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:48 pm 

Oh yeah, forgot about Mr. Reale's passing :( Not cool Xlxlx, not cool :nono:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Soooo, I just noticed that Riot's MA page says that Mike Tirelli is now the vocalist? When did this happen?

He did some shows with them years ago but has been very ill. I don't know that he is with anyone right now.

I think RIOT should definitely continue without Reale. Their last album is great and they have a great chemistry together. Maybe call the band THUNDERSTEEL, if you have to.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 pm 

I agree they should continue without Reale, and their FB says they are. I just don't think losing Tony Moore too would be good for them at this point. I know they've worked with other singers, but at least having most of the rest of the band besides Reale being Riot alumni would really help at this point I think.

Of course the songwriting matters most...

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Maybe call the band THUNDERSTEEL, if you have to.

Speaking of the band name Thundersteel, there was a German act in the 90's that put out a decent speed/power album in 94 under Thundersteel. They were obviously inspired by their namesake and it is a melodic speed riff fest ala Riot's stuff. Vocals are give or take but a fun album all in all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MsMZNOyMPs

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 pm 

I like the idea of Riot continuing - from what I've read about Mark Reale in interviews and whatnot, I find it hard to believe he'd have wanted the band to just stop in this situation.

I'm not sure where that info about Tirelli came from, either, I can't find any verification of it. I do like Tirelli better than Moore, but Moore is great and, I think, a better fit for Riot. That said, I don't think they'd sound "generic" at all with Tirelli. It'd be awesome, either way.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:43 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Eh, it's okay. It sounds pretty much EXACTLY like their last two. Conklin is using lots of really similar vocal lines.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 am 

Nah, sure it sounds similar, which I'm glad about as I love the sound, but saying it sounds EXACTLY like the last two is dumb.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 am 

I like the sound too but come on. It's like the whole band is comfortable treading a level of ''consistency'' beyond even Amon Amarth.
But anyways, that's based on just one song. I'm hoping the rest of the album will have at least a few new tricks up it's sleeve.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:42 am 

Surprisingly, I have to agree with Necro here. Satan's Host are pretty same-y, although not as bad as Persuader's "Evolution Purgatory" or anything like that. Still, most of the songs have a nearly identical atmosphere, and similar vocal lines. I'm not really a fan of their new material, either, but that's beside the point.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
I like the idea of Riot continuing

I've got really mixed feelings on this... while I do think they should continue I'm not sure, without the main driving songwriting force, that the band will continue to write songs of the same caliber as before Reale's passing.

More Riot would be great but them putting out a dud after the mastery that was Immortal Soul would be a real shame. Also, Moore all the way, they already lost the most important member of the band, if they're going to change singers they should really just start a new band altogether.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:17 pm 

I think Riot should just stop. The band was Reale's. He was the one that kept it alive because it was essentially him in spirit for the entire thing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:14 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Surprisingly, I have to agree with Necro here. Satan's Host are pretty same-y, although not as bad as Persuader's "Evolution Purgatory" or anything like that. Still, most of the songs have a nearly identical atmosphere, and similar vocal lines. I'm not really a fan of their new material, either, but that's beside the point.

Surprisingly? :p pffffff.
Anyways, I'm just making it clear that I DO like them, Conklin is a great vocalist, and though they may be pretty stagnant at this point, the sound they have isn't really being done by any other bands.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:33 pm 

I was just messing with you man. I agree that they're unique and Conklin is great, just not really my cup of tea. More black/speed/thrash than USPM.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:49 pm 

Man, I hope Tony Moore's still in Riot. It'd just be less "Riot-y" at this point without him. Still, no official information... we can still hope.

I don't really care for new Stan's Hots, either. It's okay, I guess. I got the second Titan Force album today, though, and that's pretty rad.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 pm 

I have a hard time going back to that Titan Force album. It's pretty experimental and just damn weird. The debut is legendary though.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:06 am 

Nahsil wrote:
There should be more stuff like Manticora. Those catchy, fairly unique, somewhat technical, heavy ass riffs and leads/solos...I used to hate their singer, but he's grown on me recently.

Fuck NOPE! :nono:
That said, I too wish there was a band who combined those qualities with a decent sense of song structure, pacing, and measure. Unfortunately, Manticora itself thinks one great riff/idea repeated ad nauseum and alternating with long, hopelessly boring sections of generic filling and/or show-off improvisation does the trick... But the "trick", 9/10 times, ends up being "look, we ruined yet another potentially great song!" Even the songs that manage to contain more awesome moments than frustrating ones, like "Gypsies' Dance, part 1", "Private Hell", or "Dynasty of Fear" all eventually induce a "Come ooooooon, WE GET IT!" tantrum. If I want to play a song in a loop, I can do it myself. No need for the band to do it by default, thank you very much.

OzzyApu wrote:
I think Riot should just stop. The band was Reale's. He was the one that kept it alive because it was essentially him in spirit for the entire thing.

Exactly. I don't get the apparent consensus on the opposing idea seen on this thread, to be honest. Let that band rest in peace.

Xeogred wrote:
I have a hard time going back to that Titan Force album. It's pretty experimental and just damn weird. The debut is legendary though.

Same here, with far less enthusiasm for the debut. It has a couple of really cool songs (the two that sound almost exactly like mid-period Jag Panzer), but the rest bores me almost as much as the follow-up.

To be honest, I just wish Jag Panzer had not split up after the very good 'The Scourge of the Light'. I do like Satan's Host, but not nearly as much as JP.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm 

Not exactly sure how that new Razorwyre was leaked. It was sent to some blog guys, magazines, and labels a few months back, under the pretense they wouldn't leak it till it was officially released. I only wish i could've released it a year ago. Currently working on the next EP which i want to have out before Keep It True next year.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
To be honest, I just wish Jag Panzer had not split up after the very good 'The Scourge of the Light'. I do like Satan's Host, but not nearly as much as JP.

Haha what? The Scourge of the Light was really mediocre, including that song you linked. The riffs are weak as hell, just super generic and forgettable, and Conklin sounds really bored. I'm not at all surprised he basically quit the band not too long after. The only good thing about it is the lead guitar, really, and that's not at all enough to carry it. Satan's Host is just way more interesting in every respect.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 pm 

Been getting back into Scorpions lately. Lost all their stuff ages ago. I'm really only familiar with 4-5 of their albums (late 70s-80s). I've never heard the first couple Scorpions albums. Anyone here care to discuss them?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355 ... 625  Next