Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 pm 

Been listening to Waldgeflüster's Femundsmarka - Eine Reise in drei Kapiteln this evening and I am really enjoying it. How does the first album fare to this one?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:33 am 

does anyone know of any groovier black metal?? Style similar to this specific song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck1OdW_asew

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 am 

I want raw black metal with a rocking energy, rustic atmosphere and catchy riffs. Best reference points that come to mind for what I'm after are

Deathspell Omega - Inquisitors of Satan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoqNK5Rlep0

DSO - Desecration Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hExQmQkktKY

Mayhem - Pagan Fears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8igwwi6cQ

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:53 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Been listening to Waldgeflüster's Femundsmarka - Eine Reise in drei Kapiteln this evening and I am really enjoying it. How does the first album fare to this one?

The first release is also good Apex but I enjoy the second a lot more, I remember it being a bit more repetitive sounding.

MariusBR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 pm 

FredGarvin wrote:
I just stumbled upon the band Skaur from Norway:

http://youtu.be/ClZNCovqZzw

Pretty good stuff. Would probably appeal to fans of Ulver, Taake, Windir and the like.

Anyone else heard of them?

You should check out One tail, One head. They`re also from Norway and they play really GOOD black metal.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:22 pm 

STORMM wrote:

The first release is also good Apex but I enjoy the second a lot more, I remember it being a bit more repetitive sounding.

Nice. I will check it out when I get the chance.

On another note, I am really loving Mörk Gryning's first album lately. Some of those melodies that just seem to come out of nowhere send chills right through me. That thrashy bit in Omringningen that just blends seamlessly into that solo takes me aback each time I hear it, although Min Sista Färd 'En Visa om döden' is the stand out track on this one in my opinion.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 am 

On another note, I am really loving Mörk Gryning's first album lately. Some of those melodies that just seem to come out of nowhere send chills right through me. That thrashy bit in Omringningen that just blends seamlessly into that solo takes me aback each time I hear it, although Min Sista Färd 'En Visa om döden' is the stand out track on this one in my opinion.

I have that cd somewhere, it has been quite a while since I have listened to it but you have reminded me to do so! I do remember it being very good. If you like black metal with the odd thrashy touch Apex, check out Mephistopheles (GER) "Songs of the Desolate One", I mentioned them earlier, this is real good melodic black metal I think you might enjoy.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 pm 

yeah Mork Gryning is definitely top notch on the more melodic side of BM. But what sets them apart, in my opinion, is how they keep the music dark but the often uplifting lead guitar fuses seamlessly with the darker tones. It creates an interesting album thats for sure. I still have to submerse myself into their following albums.

I just checked out some of those Mephistopheles tracks from the album you mentioned and I am really liking it. Guitars are really the focal point here, really enjoying them. I like how they flirt with what you would hear from some folk metal music but keep it reigned in without falling into over-the-top mediocrity of other bands. This is an album I will have to check out fully it seems.

Cheers for the always welcomed recs, Stormm!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm 

yeah Mork Gryning is definitely top notch on the more melodic side of BM. But what sets them apart, in my opinion, is how they keep the music dark but the often uplifting lead guitar fuses seamlessly with the darker tones. It creates an interesting album thats for sure. I still have to submerse myself into their following albums.

I just checked out some of those Mephistopheles tracks from the album you mentioned and I am really liking it. Guitars are really the focal point here, really enjoying them. I like how they flirt with what you would hear from some folk metal music but keep it reigned in without falling into over-the-top mediocrity of other bands. This is an album I will have to check out fully it seems.

Cheers for the always welcomed recs, Stormm!

Dug out the Mork Grying cd, it's been a while, forgot how good it was. From what I remember the later releases are not just on par with the debut. They were one of the better Dissection like bands. Funny enough when you check out the Mephistopheles album you will find the music and melodies very similar, a bit more keyboards but in a very good way!

Inconjunct
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:37 am 

Looking for stuff like black twilight circle bands (especially arizmenda)... things with that pitch-bend riff sound

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:39 am 

Rild wrote:
I want raw black metal with a rocking energy, rustic atmosphere and catchy riffs. Best reference points that come to mind for what I'm after are

DSO - Desecration Master

Mayhem - Pagan Fears

Behexen - From the Devil's Chalice

Vulgar, raw, intense, sometimes even emotive. Certainly not an overlooked band, but an overlooked release.

Archgoat

Same as above, but definitely not emotive at all. Say which of the two you prefer and I can give more recs.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:06 pm 

Hey guys. Looking for something rather specific. I'm a big fan of a quote from a movie or speech used in music right before a crescendo or major build up. This is used to great effect quite frequently in post-rock. I'm looking for examples of this in black metal. It doesn't have to be "post-rock" black metal, but just a though provoking/serious/intense spoken word part.

A few examples
GY!BE- Sleep
The very beginning of this track, with the old man reminiscing of the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBl0QAUr ... re=related

Trist- Hin
Right around the 13 minute mark, a man talking about the vastness of infinity and space starts talking leading into a wall of sound. Very epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtUXjyRJJQQ

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 am 

Rild wrote:

DSO - Desecration Master

Mayhem - Pagan Fears

Sargeist "From the Black Coffin Lair"

Svartrit "A Labyrinth of Death"

Behexen "My Stigmas Bleeding Black"

Domgård "Gravlagt i skymningsrök"

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 pm 

Does anybody know both the two "versions" of Ars Morendi by Lunar Aurora? Normally I end up not liking the new, changed version but I really like (newer) Lunar Aurora. So is the added guitar actually an improvement compared to the regular version?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:20 pm 

Hymnofwolves wrote:
Does anybody know both the two "versions" of Ars Morendi by Lunar Aurora? Normally I end up not liking the new, changed version but I really like (newer) Lunar Aurora. So is the added guitar actually an improvement compared to the regular version?

I have the second version but have never listened to the first to compare, but I think I can remember people saying around the time that they preferred the original version, will have to check it out and see. The newer material IMO is their best work, really looking forward to the new album.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:18 pm 

I'm looking for some atmospheric black metal similar to Sear Bliss's Eternal Recurrence, and (to a lesser extent) Samael's Lux Mundi. I'd like it to have a similar production, (full and smooth). And simple but effective guitarwork.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:41 am 

I'm looking for more black metal like Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle, especially the last couple of songs of disc 1 and pretty much all songs of disc 2. Think Sargeist, but more evil, or more atmospheric and mysterious - not as melodic, yet melodic. Baptism - Grim Arts of Melancholy and especially Behexen - From the Devil's Chalice are very close.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:56 pm 

Anyone know any bands that sound like Cirith Gorgor? I'm very new to the genre, so feel free to recommend obvious things.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 pm 

I'm looking for black metal as it is played by Darkthrone on Transilvanian Hunger and Ulver's Nattens Madrigal. I know that Darkthrone has a couple of these on Under a Funeral Moon and Panzerfaust, but I've not seen many songs completely devoted to this style like Ulver and Darkthrone has.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I'm looking for some atmospheric black metal similar to Sear Bliss's Eternal Recurrence, and (to a lesser extent) Samael's Lux Mundi. I'd like it to have a similar production, (full and smooth). And simple but effective guitarwork.

Sear Bliss are a pretty neat band. if you liked them i think you will also like Aenaon freom Greece. They are an avantgarde metal band combines black metal and jazz. I was thoroughly impressed with their first full length Cendres Et Sang

If you have some time as well, check out Thy Catafalque. Another avantgarde band from Hungary. It's a one man band that sounds like a entire band. Check out Rengeteg, which is his newest album. Amazingly smooth production and top-notch guitar work.

Enjoy!

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

bearsbearsbears
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:53 pm 

I just recently caught wind of the Blazebirth Hall movement and I was wondering if anyone had anything specific that they'd recommend from that group? I just got done being overwhelmed by the LLN and their zillions of demos so I figure I'd reach out for a little more insight this time around.

Thanks.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:00 pm 

Not really, those bands are all pretty terrible. Look into the Far East Division Black Wolves if you want weird Russian BMers with gang mentality.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 pm 

New Mgla:

http://youtu.be/_im-z7AsP-0

"With Hearts Toward None" to be released sometime in early 2012. I looked at the Northern Heritage website but couldn't find a specific release date.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:53 pm 

FredGarvin wrote:
New Mgla:

http://youtu.be/_im-z7AsP-0

"With Hearts Toward None" to be released sometime in early 2012. I looked at the Northern Heritage website but couldn't find a specific release date.

The Archives just says February. Hopefully that it doesn't get pushed back, i am really looking forward to this release. Groza was pretty damn amazing and unexpected.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:58 am 

the guy that said all the blazebirth hall bands pretty much all suck really couldnt be more wrong, i mean i laughed when i read that. For some great blazebirth hall bands you will definitely want to look into raven dark, branikald, forest, and nitberg, all being excellent bands and more then worth your time.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:33 am 

That guy? You mean me? Couldn't read my name a few posts up? The Blazebirth Hall bands and all of that Russian/Ukranian nazihippy metal is the worst. Good black metal comes from grim places like France and the US...

Other guy, I second Eli's suggestions for getting a general overview of the BBH phenomenon. Throw in Temnozor and Forest and you've heard "the best" of their breed.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:42 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm looking for more black metal like Horna - Sanojesi Äärelle, especially the last couple of songs of disc 1 and pretty much all songs of disc 2. Think Sargeist, but more evil, or more atmospheric and mysterious - not as melodic, yet melodic. Baptism - Grim Arts of Melancholy and especially Behexen - From the Devil's Chalice are very close.

Couple of recs for you, might not be exactly what you're after but they are a start. Unless of course you already know them...

Matricide from Sweden are damn raw but have a very distinct, evil melodicism about them.

Ireland's Myrkr are well worth checking out as well. Great stuff, especially the full length.

Graupel from Germany might also keep your interest with their brand of at times, pulverising and evil black metal.

From Finland here's Prevalent Resistance. Great melodic black metal not too dissimilar to Horna and Sargeist, but with enough of their own identity.

From the US, is the rather obscure One Master. This is some extremely raw stuff, but underneath all the noise, is actually some pretty damn good black metal.

Wolfsschrei are also worth your time, great raw but well written black metal from Germany.

Hope these helped.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:36 am 

CrushedRevelation: Many thanks man, I knew none of those beforehand! Laudable, even.

John_Sunlight wrote:
Good black metal comes from grim places like France and the US...

:ugh:

Due to the most prominent French bands shitty style and complete lack of intensity, I've never even bothered with the country really. There is the occasional listenable vaguely DSBM-ish band like Celestia, but really, how is it any better than ... anything?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 am 

No problem. And to your comment on French black metal, there are a couple worth getting your hands on. Namely Insane Vesper, Aosoth, Malhkebre and the mighty Antaeus. These bands are far from bland, nor do they shamelessly worship DSO...

My collection

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm 

Can you recommend me some rare, obscure First Wave Of Black Metal bands? Obviously dont mention bathory, venom, mercyful fate, celtic frost/hellhammer, kat, bulldozer, sarcofago, vulcano, tormentor(hun), old running wild, old sodom, old kreator, old slayer, old destruction. Thanks in advance.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 pm 

French bands lack intensity? In days of yore all the complaints against French BM was that it was all Norsecore...

Germany is also grim. And Iberia.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
No problem. And to your comment on French black metal, there are a couple worth getting your hands on. Namely Insane Vesper, Aosoth, Malhkebre and the mighty Antaeus. These bands are far from bland, nor do they shamelessly worship DSO...

Thank you again sir, I hope I will have the chance to enjoy the fruits of your black metal knowledge in the future aswell. Aosoth was really good sounding stuff.

Looking forward to what AlcoholicMayhem is recommended. Surely you know Root, though?

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:03 pm 

Yeah, I already know Root, also Master's Hammer, Poison (Ger), Von, Necrovore.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Due to the most prominent French bands shitty style and complete lack of intensity, I've never even bothered with the country really. There is the occasional listenable vaguely DSBM-ish band like Celestia, but really, how is it any better than ... anything?

I've found that the sound of French black metal bands differs vastly per region. I can't stand most of the Parisian bands, but many Southern-French bands are among my all-time favourites. As for Celestia, they're alright, but I'd give Mortifera's first full-length a try. It's basically a faster Celestia with better vocals.

As for intensity, give Sühnopfer a shot. Probably the most impressive one-man project I've ever stumbled upon.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:42 am 

...and back to the Blazebirth Hall discussion, he was asking for recs, not your opinion.

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:19 am 

Panflute wrote:

As for intensity, give Sühnopfer a shot. Probably the most impressive one-man project I've ever stumbled upon.

On my behalf, thank you very much. This was just what I was looking for! Similiar to Peste noire, yet more medievalish and grand. Definitely going to buy Nos Sombres Chapelles! I think I'm really starting to like French black metal.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:11 am 

Gastjale wrote:
On my behalf, thank you very much. This was just what I was looking for! Similiar to Peste noire, yet more medievalish and grand. Definitely going to buy Nos Sombres Chapelles! I think I'm really starting to like French black metal.

You're welcome. You'll be glad to know that entire album is that good. The "L'Aube des Trépassés" EP is worth checking out as well.

And if you're looking for more bands, also try out Aorlhac. They're from the same region as Sühnopfer and have a similar style. They're not quite as good as Sühnopfer, but their "La Cité des Vents" album is worth checking out at least. Some great riffs to be found on there.

geni
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 pm 

http://www.antichristus-antireligious.b ... YPTORSATAN

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 pm 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
...and back to the Blazebirth Hall discussion, he was asking for recs, not your opinion.

I like to give 110%. :P

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:29 pm 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:

You can recommend shit and give your opinion on it. It's even preferable...Subjectivity can be good, what's important is the tone.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 231  Next