Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
duwan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:26 pm 

For fans of Test, and Cattle Decapitation's early releases
Spoiler: show

Check my mediocre ahh reviews

Last edited by duwan on Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duwan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:31 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Could you guys recommend me good stuff similar to Suffocation, Skinless, Dying Fetus, Aborted, Internal Bleeding, Eternal Suffering, etc.? I am looking for brutal death metal but with a lot of bass, down-tuned buzzsaw guitars, and more rhythmic and groovy rather than cacophonous and chaotic.

What you mean is: Any brutal death metal album with mid-scooped guitars.

Well, good recommendations can be CBT's Sadomasochismo, but if you seeks for some blast beats too you must see Last Days of Humanity - Hymns of Indigestible Suppuration

Check my mediocre ahh reviews

akshuk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:08 pm 

Looking for something with a "groove" ala Decency Defied by Cannibal Corpse. thanks in advance!

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:51 pm 

duwan wrote:
SanPeron wrote:
Could you guys recommend me good stuff similar to Suffocation, Skinless, Dying Fetus, Aborted, Internal Bleeding, Eternal Suffering, etc.? I am looking for brutal death metal but with a lot of bass, down-tuned buzzsaw guitars, and more rhythmic and groovy rather than cacophonous and chaotic.

What you mean is: Any brutal death metal album with mid-scooped guitars.

Well, good recommendations can be CBT's Sadomasochismo, but if you seeks for some blast beats too you must see Last Days of Humanity - Hymns of Indigestible Suppuration

Those are two fun records but too grindcore for me, I was looking for death metal rather than grind.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:52 pm 

akshuk wrote:
Looking for something with a "groove" ala Decency Defied by Cannibal Corpse. thanks in advance!

Dying Fetus man, what are you waiting for? Go listen to all their discography, and try their EP Grotesque Impalement, you are welcome.

decay3r
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:17 am 

There was that guy playing Melodic Death maybe with some Tech involved I can't remember. Any help?

I'm describing an EP I've heard. Temp was mid to slow, music purely instrumental, AFAIK he was recording his music alone. The key feature is use of a lot of dissonant melodies, they were dominant through the whole EP. You could even call it atmospheric and melancholic. The EP is present on YouTube and I remember a comment to the effect that the guy can't do wrong. I have a vague impression that he is Swedish, but I am not 100% sure.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:12 pm 

akshuk wrote:

Here's some stuff with plenty of midpaced grooves

If you prefer modern:
Any Undeath, Cryptworm's LP, most Undergang but especially Misanthropologi

If you like old school:
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos (obvious pick but I don't know whether you're niche or beginner), Baphomet/Banished (kinda like a more 90's hardcore kind of groovy), Jungle Rot - Slaughter the Weak (also 90's hardcore kind of grooves)

Lemme know if any of that hits the spot, I can provide some similar stuff based on that

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:25 pm 

That Luna Guy wrote:
hey, not sure if what im asking for is really a thing but ive for a while kinda been craving like "Raw Death metal", like how theres a lot of modern black metal with deliberately crunchy and noisy production. I keep trying to listen to 80s death metal demos and too many of them still sound somewhat clean and listenable, which of course is fun but doesnt scratch the itch.
Or is there even outright fusions of Death metal and noise? Some grind is of course too as long as its not outright noisegrind, which i do enjoy but its not what im looking for.
Im basically looking for death metal with a lot of hiss, crunchy distortion and everything being caked in a layer of noise.
The Demo recording for Carcass' symphony of sickness is like the closest ive found, which i do actually prefer to the fully recorded album.

Maybe Moondark?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usz-Q9USTL4

Or Abhorrence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za7VP-gGxnM

Timeghoul too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKusos8netQ

Grave perhaps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQfJCi6Bp4

werewolfgraveyard wrote:
Any new/obscure bands with that Florida OSDM sound? I'll lay out my preferences:

- Late 80s/90s Morrisound Recording-esque sound, production-wise at least. Morbid Angel's Blessed are the Sick, Death's Leprosy, and/or on the off chance someone can find something that sounds like it, I love how unique the production is on Deicide's Serpents of the Light compared to the rest of their discography. Generally, if it sounds like Scott Burns produced it in the 90s I'm probably going to love it.

- Vocals closer to Death's Chuck Schuldiner or Asphyx's Martin van Drunen, but I wouldn't mind something more adjacent to David Vincent, John Tardy, or Glen Benton. I generally prefer death metal vocals on the higher end or otherwise decipherable, as opposed to something of a more brutal effect like Corpsegrinder.

- Thematically, I'm tired of Gore and Satan, something more mystical or mythological in focus like Morbid Angel or Nile would be preferable but I wouldn't mind something thematically vague but abstract like Death's mid-to-later period. You might find the point of caring about themes in death metal silly if all you listen to is Slam where they just go "urgghh grrr" all the time, but personally I find that there's an appeal to how the elements of a song can add up to a package. Something about feeling like an ancient mummy with a rapsy voice is screaming about "Ra, God of the Sun" over a mystical-sounding riff just sounds so much more interesting to me than just mindless groove, and it feels like couldn't think of anything to gargle about other than gore and murder. Gimme Lovecraftian lore, not Cannibal Corpse. I'd prefer my zombies rising from ancient necromantic magic, thank you.

- Also, thematically, for the love of God please no lyrics about sexual assault. I'd take the edgy boring Gore and Satan shit over lyrics about r*pe any day. Or lyrics about hating marginalized people in general, if it shits on women, jewish people or muslims I don't want it. Call me an "SJW" if you want, I just don't want that sort of thing screamed in my ear, I just want a good riff without any of that unnecessary shit. Anti-Christianity stuff is fine though, that stuff doesn't bother me. If you ask why some anti-religious stuff bothers me but anti-Christianity doesn't, I'm not going to elaborate and that discussion would be better in DMs than on this forum.

- Riffing, more similar to Morbid Angel or Death's first two albums (I love all of Death but I'm asking for a specific sound). Nothing too fast or too slow, mid-paced stuff preferable. Nothing prog-sounding like Atheist or later Death, I fucking love that kinda stuff but that's not what I'm looking for right now.

- Pure Death Metal, preferably having nothing to do with Swedish Melodeath or Brutal Death Metal or Slam.

That's all the preferences I can remember at the moment, I'll lay out some lesser known bands or albums for recommendations if anyone's looking for similar stuff, assuming y'all know stuff like Sinister, Nile, Benediction, Darkthrone's death metal debut, or Blood Incantation.

"Todessehnsucht" from Atrocity, "Shadows of the Past" from Sentenced, "Forever Advancing... Legions" from Mithras, "Paramnesia" from Altars, "In the Flesh" from Nader Sadek, "Pharoah of Gods" from Necronomicon, "Blinding the Masses" from Scarab, "Lex Talionis" from Acheron, "Buried in Time" from Mortuary Drape (oddball in their discography, imo), "Angel of the Eastern Gate" and "Sumerian Promises" both from Sijjin, "Edict of the Antichrist Elect" from Perdition Temple, "God of Creation, Death & Afterlife" from Coffin Texts.

Derogatory kinda has this vibe, the drums are a bit too clicky tho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWBLWaeN2MY

This Undead has a modern production but is very Death like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFq4JEjx_yo

Same as this Morfin which has Death like vocals and some riffs but also maybe influence from stuff like Resurrection/Morta Skuld/Brutality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXUAKMaEmE

SanPeron wrote:
Which death metal albums made you say something like "Holy shit this is heavy"? It happened to me when I listened to the Devourment discography for the first time. And one Cannibal Corpse song, named Scourge of Iron.

This Fleshcrawl song, holy shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKgBYpDIuHo

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:51 am 

Anyone with some recommendations in the vein of Belial - Wisdom Of Darkness?

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:07 am 

Brothers of death metal I came here to ask for recommendations, I need really groovy death metal, bands like Dying Fetus. They have to have good production. Could be brutal death, slam, or just regular death metal, the important thing is that it has to be GROOVY and bassy, fat sound, heavy riffs, that style.

Like this song:

SkwisgaarSkwigelf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:47 pm 

Recommendations for symphonic melodic death like Wintersun?

decay3r
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:52 am 

decay3r wrote:
There was that guy playing Melodic Death maybe with some Tech involved I can't remember. Any help?

I'm describing an EP I've heard. Temp was mid to slow, music purely instrumental, AFAIK he was recording his music alone. The key feature is use of a lot of dissonant melodies, they were dominant through the whole EP. You could even call it atmospheric and melancholic. The EP is present on YouTube and I remember a comment to the effect that the guy can't do wrong. I have a vague impression that he is Swedish, but I am not 100% sure.

That's Jari Lindholm. https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/J ... ies/916250
Excellent stuff.

Do you know something in the spirit of Jari's Trajectories and The Chasm's instrumental album? Something *instrumental* to listen to while meditating. Not seeking something necessarily top tier, but decent record quality is real welcome. It wouldn't be so bad for me if MA allowed to search for instrumental songs/albums, but so far it only allows to filter by *band* and only by *theme*, so that leaves out quite a lot of goodies.

portopetro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:29 pm 

hi new here, hopefully right place to post
i am looking for summat similar to fallujah's the flesh prevails that isnt overly compressed/produced. just sort of soaring ethereal prog/techy. lots of blast beats, atmospheric leads but also some syncopated groovier sections. i prefer deep vocals but doesnt have to be.
thanks for reading, i am digging some stuff i found in here already (big up civerous and mortiferum) but i am fairly new to death metal so cant really rec anything yous dont know already!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:12 am 

portopetro wrote:
hi new here, hopefully right place to post
i am looking for summat similar to fallujah's the flesh prevails that isnt overly compressed/produced. just sort of soaring ethereal prog/techy. lots of blast beats, atmospheric leads but also some syncopated groovier sections. i prefer deep vocals but doesnt have to be.
thanks for reading, i am digging some stuff i found in here already (big up civerous and mortiferum) but i am fairly new to death metal so cant really rec anything yous dont know already!

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

Lunar Chamber - Shambhallic Vibrations

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:19 am 

Discovered this band called Blackgoat yesterday and shit, their second album RULES. If doomy thrashy death metal is your thing, there's no reason for you not to check 'em.
Think of Cianide meets Master meets Swedish death metal or something.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:43 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Discovered this band called Blackgoat yesterday and shit, their second album RULES. If doomy thrashy death metal is your thing, there's no reason for you not to check 'em.
Think of Cianide meets Master meets Swedish death metal or something.

This is some fuckin good shit. Looked em up and unfortunately near impossible to get their 2 self released albums dammit.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:14 am 

Hey guys, can anyone tell me about any sick bands that sing about the typical medieval depiction of witches, in the style of LHP era entombed? or as close enough to.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:59 pm 

Maybe give All of Them Witches by The Dead Goats a shot. The lyrics aren't published to my knowledge, but based off of the song titles it deals with similar subject matter and they are a Swedish DM worship band, maybe with a little bit more hardcore punk influence at times.

https://testimonyrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... em-witches

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:27 pm 

That's fucken cool mate, thank you. Reminds me of Bastard Priest - Ghouls of The Endless Night, another one of my favourite bands.

EDIT: I'm gonna buy this one now for exercising, anything else let me know love this shit.

miruosz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:59 pm 

Hello there. I'm looking for bands or albums that sound like the old school Dying Fetus albums(1996 - 2007),
- with pretty raw production, guitars and vocals,
- groovy riffs(e.g. you know which riff from Praise The Lord),
- deadly breakdowns(e.g. Raped On The Altar around 1:50)
- but also fast and technical parts(e.g. Schematics intro Riff).

Similar bands from their page here don't really have these characteristics and I am certain that there are some underground bands that have the sound I am looking for. Many thanks for any help!

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:22 pm 

miruosz wrote:
Hello there. I'm looking for bands or albums that sound like the old school Dying Fetus albums(1996 - 2007),

Similar bands from their page here don't really have these characteristics and I am certain that there are some underground bands that have the sound I am looking for. Many thanks for any help!

They are a very unique band, but the closest that I can think of is Misery Index.

Wolfshappen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 am 

More bands like DEMILICH ?

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:07 am 

Wolfshappen wrote:
More bands like DEMILICH ?

You might be aware of some of these bands, but here's some to check out:

- Adramelech
    - Artificial Brain
    - Blood Incantation
    - Chthe'ilist
    - Cosmic Atrophy
    - Diskord
    - Exlimitr
    - Fabricant
    - Howls Of Ebb
    - Nucleus
    - Phobophilic
    - Replicant
    - Zealotry

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:16 am 

^^ I'll add this Finnish band to that list: Desecresy

It's from 2010 onwards, but it doesn't sound modern at all.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am 

Lane wrote:
^^ I'll add this Finnish band to that list: Desecresy

It's from 2010 onwards, but it doesn't sound modern at all.

Also forgot about Gutvoid, add them to the list as well

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:21 am 

Who can recommend me some newer death metal albums in the vein of the Swe90s?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:42 am 

Check Bastard Priest and Vanhelgd

decay3r
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:25 pm 

Does anyone know something in the vein of this https://ironbloodanddeath.bandcamp.com/ ... ge-of-hell ?

I like how 'Swedish' it sounds and the way it combines melody and Death metal is really great. And I really value this atmosphere. I can't even properly communicate it. Some beautiful mixture of darkness... and sadness? Or is it gloom? Or sorrow? These melodies really have something catchy to them.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:24 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Who can recommend me some newer death metal albums in the vein of the Swe90s?

I'll assume that you mean HM2 like Carnage, Dismember and Entombed.

Abscession - Rot of Ages
Negative Vortex - Tomb Absolute
The Generals - To Hell
Reincarnage - Reap

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:24 pm 

decay3r wrote:
Does anyone know something in the vein of this https://ironbloodanddeath.bandcamp.com/ ... ge-of-hell ?

I like how 'Swedish' it sounds and the way it combines melody and Death metal is really great. And I really value this atmosphere. I can't even properly communicate it. Some beautiful mixture of darkness... and sadness? Or is it gloom? Or sorrow? These melodies really have something catchy to them.

Hey, this is blackened death metal to me, have you tried the first albums of Belphegor, Behemoth, and Hate (Poland)? Try those if you haven't.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:08 pm 

miruosz wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I find a lot of these characteristics in Bookakee...
https://youtu.be/RDwrJ4X20e4?si=l85Ka7ii1EXzlRxS

...and Barra Xul
https://youtu.be/_HzZgjlg13Q?si=RkRPbf3akOTFyLkF

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:51 pm 

Any bands that don't have lyrics? As in, they have vocals but the vocalist isn't really singing anything. Like early Obituary, and I guess early Cryptopsy fits too. Anything but slam, please!

decay3r
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:52 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Hey, this is blackened death metal to me, have you tried the first albums of Belphegor, Behemoth, and Hate (Poland)? Try those if you haven't.

Well, I only now seem to have time to listen to them more thoroughly, but on the first takes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XeEBXSVooA
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9UE890FmC4
seem like the aggressive/attacking type of metal, that sticks more with brutality, where solos are high pitched shredding and the rest is DEATH metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCdC6dg2EBY
is honestly cutting my ears, strange enough, because I really liked the As the Wolves gather from Forgotten Woods, which has similar kind of vocal.

It is not to say I do not like the sound, but the point is, EYE OF PURGATORY makes an interesting (for me) combination of melancholic takes and more brutal parts. And I really liked those melancholic pieces. I was asking for something leaning there.

Uh... December Flower comes to mind for some reason!

decay3r
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:40 am 

The last supper went in nicely, but Behemoth and Hate did not fit my taste. Behemoth has too "forlorn-in-forest" kind of vocals, while Hate appeared to be too dry to chew. Of course it all depends on mood, but... I guess you needed the feedback, right?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 pm 

Found on youtube: Edge Of Sanity, Seance & Disharmonic Orchestra live 1991, 46 minutes long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ziRzStBfB4

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:35 pm 

Which albums are shown in this image?

I have only been able to recognise:

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
The Gathering - Always...
Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows
Paradise Lost - Gothic
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
God Forsaken - Dismal Gleams of Desolation

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 am 

^
The 2. one in the top row is Austrian band Miasma's sole full length one 'Changes':
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... anges/1064

2. row first one is Funebre's 'Children of the Scorn' album:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/F ... corn/21361

One with Easter Island's statues is Xysma's debut album 'Yeah':
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Xysma/Yeah/6840

Bottow row left is God Dethroned's debut album 'Christhunt':
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/G ... thunt/1002

The 2. one on in the bottom is Liers in Wait's 'Spiritually Uncontrolled Art' EP:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/L ... _Art/15446

Bottom row's last one is / Disharmonic Orchestra split vinyl:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/P ... stra/26002

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am 

Thank you very much Lane!

NasTreeEels
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am 

Can someone recommend some death albums (not EPs or demos) with non triggered drums, including clean bass drums? (Lets not get political now, i just like the sound.)
So far, the only ones that i know of are - "Chronic Corpora Infest" and "To the Depths in Degradation".
Please recommend as many as you can.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 pm 

NasTreeEels wrote:
Can someone recommend some death albums (not EPs or demos) with non triggered drums, including clean bass drums? (Lets not get political now, i just like the sound.)
So far, the only ones that i know of are - "Chronic Corpora Infest" and "To the Depths in Degradation".
Please recommend as many as you can.

I don't understand what you are looking for specifically, because most death metal bands, specially the 90's ones have non triggered drums so to answer your question, most death metal albums share that characteristics and mexican Disgorge and Infester don't have that much in common besides playing extreme metal, one is a goregrind band and the other one is a death metal one but with some darker aspect, closer to stuff like Incantation or Immolation.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290  Next