Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 pm 

I've been recently listening to everything from Rammstein to Rinderwahnsinn to Schweisser to Bethlehem, and I'm just looking for more to add to my German collection. Genre-wise, Power and Symphonic are my least preferred, but I appreciate any suggestions

were they hot?

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 am 

Nocte Obducta (Avant-Garde Black Metal)
One of my favourite bands overall. They're simply amazing when it comes to songwriting and have such an unique and inspiring sound amd lyrics that always hit me right away. I highly recommend their Nektar - Teil 2: Seen, Flüsse, Tagebücher album, which still amazes me after hundreds of listens. The album actually includes my favourite song. Music simply just can't get better than Pan spiel die Flöte. Their early sound is pretty raw while they lately developed a much more avant-garde sound. My personal favourite era was the middle-era with lots of progression, but I pretty much love everything they released.

Fäulnis (Black Doom Punk Rock)
Their early releases were good dsbm, but they have developed their own style of playing black metal by now, which they call Black Doom Punk Rock or Sick Black Art. Thes refuse to be labelled as dsbm and I can see why. While they are indeed extremly depressing, they really can't be thrown together with all those whiny, embarrassing and uninteresting bands. They were on hold for a while but started playing live again a while ago and are now in the process of getting their new album out. As examples of their sound, I'd recommend Weiße Wände and probably Trümmer.
Actually, listen to the whole Gehirn zwischen Wahn und Sinn album. I also love an earlier song of theirs, 30. Juli, Bewölkt.

Irrlycht (Black Metal)
Yet another german Black Metal artist. It's especially the german black metal scene that I find most interesting. A lot of bands have their really unique sound that's almost incomparable to other acts of the same genre. Irrlycht play more of black metal in the traditional vein, but when I randomly stumbled upon the band, they totally blew me away. Extremly powerful, thick and pushing forward black metal. From their debut EP, you should listen to Urangst to get an example of how the band sounds.

Dornenreich (Avant-Garde Black Metal/Neofolk)
Alright, we're still in black metal. Dornenreich are actually an austrian band, but their lyrics are german. They started as a kind of unique Symphonic Black Metal band (example: Reime faucht der Märchensarg) and then developed a more avant-garde sounding, especially on the album Her von welken Nächten (Example: Ich bin aus mir). Then, they incoorporated a lot of neofolk until they dropped the metal and later got back to it for one more album (Flammentriebe). They said it will probably be their last metal-effort.

I still have a lot of artists to recommend, but I don't have the time right now to write about more. I'll get back to this thread later. In the meantime, enjoy these bands :P

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:09 pm 

most of this is folk/black or something similar, and rouuuuuughly in order of favorite to least favorite (in terms of how many of their songs I love, but all the songs linked are favorites)

Schandmaul
Winterdome
Gernotshagen
Thormesis
Varg
Menhir
XIV Dark Centuries (some songs in English)
Thrudvangar
Taunusheim
Tanzwut
Volkstrott
Hel
Bifröst
Finsterforst
Halgadom
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
Odroerir
Black Messiah (some songs in English)
Kingdom Gone

also, Grimm, Urfaust, and Heidevolk if Dutch is also accepted.

Last edited by Erotetic on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 pm 

Check out Dämmerfarben. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/D%C ... iscography

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm 

Some more:

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter (Death Metal [early], Heavy Metal [now])

First of all, do yourself a favour and do not listen to their latest album. IMO, it sucks badly. They pretty much lost it with Licht, which is a shame really. I absolutely love their All You Need is Love album which I'd call Atmospheric Death Metal and is unlike anything I could think off. It's both atmospheric and crushing with extremly unique Vocals and an epic overall sound. Unter der Asche and Erhelle meine Seele are my favourite tracks. The album features both, german and english tracks though. In general, the bands likes to mix german, english and sometimes other languages. I also liked the Samurai album which is some kind of Death Metal/Deutschpunk hybrid (Eruption). Riders on the Storm was their last worthwhile album which got more into the heavy metal-direction by melodic parts, but yet kept a good amount of the death metal heavyness . It's a lot more melodic, yet still convices with good lyrics and an unique kind of catchyness and variety. (Riders on the Storm, Soldaten dieser Erde)

Samsas Traum (whatever)

You'll never know what to expect from Alexander Kaschte, but you can be sure that it's something you've never heard before. He released a lot of shit and albums which only feature a few enjoyable songs, but he totally hit the nail with his Black Metal Album Heiliges Herz. It ain't pure black metal, but instead I'd almost call it a mixture of Black Metal, NDH and maybe some Gothic-Influences. Whatever you want to call it, it's core is black metal. Das Zeitalter der Bäume, which is the opener, is just insanely great. No song ever embodied misanthropy as hateful and amazing as this. It's absolutely outstanding. Anleitung zum Totsein is a nice avant-garde black metal album as well. You may also check out Kaschte's side project Weena Morloch and the Amok Album, which is industrial metal.

Farsot (Progressive Black Metal)

Their latest album is fully english (because they thought it'd suit the sound better), however their album IIII is a great progressive black metal album with german lyrics which progresses from hate to fear to death to grief in an appropriate manner. The opener Thematik: Hass is a good example of how the album sounds overall.

Lantlôs (Black Metal/Post-Rock)
Sadly the only german album they released was the self-titled debut. It's also the only of theirs I care for. It's emotionally im(and de-)pressive black metal with post-rock influences, however it's not that extremly watered-down type of hybrid that almost lacks metal completely, but actual black metal. Check out Kalte Tage for example.

Eisregen (Dark Metal)
Another very unique band and yet again sadly one of those that god ridicously worse with each release in the recent past. However, their album Krebskolonie is a german black metal classic (example: Krebskolonie). My favourite album would be Wundwasser, if you're interested in what it sounds like, you may check out my review. (example: Blutgeil. Totally love this song)

May come back later... (again)

Last edited by Westvargr on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm 

Seconding about everything Erotetic posted, especially Menhir and Winterdome, as well as Dammerfarben.

The question is, WHERE THE FUCK IS ABSURD. Totenlieder is a masterpiece from beginning to end, and it's as German as you can get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNMwL4OqRQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdEBLVozItc
Folk songs covered by them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPafWeh1Tg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgiVz9SyCwk
Also, check out Rauhnact (German, but Austrian is ok too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJm0x4hmq04, Helrunar, Helritt, Odroerir, Surturs Lohe, Horn, Bilskirnir, Ahnengrab, Verdunkeln, Aaskareia, Eiswerk, Festung Nebelburg. Sorry for just name dropping, but ALL of this is some different sort of quality folky pagan/black metal. Germans are by far the best in this type of metal, although most of these bands have zero recognition.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm 

Westvargr wrote:
Eisregen (Dark Metal)

ooh, forgot about them!

seconded.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:58 pm 

if you dig all the epic/pagan/folk stuff you should check Menhir, great band, all their lyrics are in german.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Lastfm

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 pm 

Jack Slater, Brutal Death Metal
All their albums are in german and the lyrics are audible (at least for me). Musically theyre quite diverse.

Rohrspast - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsgqxtlzHd8
Pheromon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Crg5rxddM
Amnestia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-OD9QnviT0

Unfortunately the tracks available on youtube lack of quality, so if you want to get into them download Blut/Macht/Frei or Extinction Aftermath.

Craspir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:55 pm 

If you're looking for black metal with german lyrics, be sure to check out the first two albums by --> Nagelfar.

Reply to topic