Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
revert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 pm 

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on dressing in a 'metal' way. We all know what I'm talking about. Do people find it an important element in their identity? Has anyone dressed in band t-shirts etc in the past and grown out of it? Do people feel excluded/empowered /embarrassed by it? Just wondering.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:31 pm 

I think you'll find that MA has an interesting pool of thoughts.

I very rarely dress metal outside of the occasional t-shirt - but even then only if I really enjoy the band and love the design. I' not too big on t-shirts to begin with so I can't say metal bands make too much clothing I would wear.

I look like a fairly normal/hipster/20-something with a normal career, so I love surprising dudes wearing vests and patches with tattoos - as we immediately bond over some weirdo black metal release. It's pretty awesome. I very rarely believe in expressing my views through clothing and would much rather dress how I like (an asshole) and let my immense knowledge speak for me.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:36 pm 

I admit I'm a stickler for the unabashedly metal attire-- spiked leather jacket, ripped jeans, boots, bullet belts, the works. It's less out of a desire to 'fit in', so to speak, with the metal mould so much as simply an admiration for the general aesthetic of it.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:39 pm 

Except for the occasional bandshirt, I don't think anyone could guess my music taste judged on the way I dress. I like it that way. Cutting my hair short years ago was one of the best decisions I made in my life, so far.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:43 pm 

I wear a band shirt just about every day but I don't do it to 'look metal'; I do it to support the bands I love so much. It's actually a good conversation starter for some folks. They see me wearing a band shirt, ask me what kind of music it is and come away from the discussion with some newfound knowledge. It also helps when I run into other metalheads but that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. Sometimes it can get dicey though...I was in a Burger King once with a buddy of mine on Lent and there was this crotchety old fuck that took such offense to my 'Anointed In Servitude' shirt he shouted,

"You HEATHENS, this is good Friday!"

I just smirked and sat down. He and his grandkids kept staring at me though. Pious jerk-off.

Overall though, my band shirts are all regularly worn but not to fulfill some aesthetic obligation. I love all the bands I have shirts of, they're comfortable and they keep the imbeciles at bay. I think that's more than enough reason to wear 'em.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:50 pm 

I don't currently own bandshirts, but when I have in the past I've always been choosy about those I wear. I move more towards shirts that use more artistic, or less obviously band shirty stuff. Of course, everybody likes Iron Maiden shirts those.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:55 pm 

I prefer Caesar dressing personally.

It's just like everything else, you can be comfortable if you're truly feel like yourself. I like the patched vest even though I don't wear my old vest much but I'm doing a new one soon. I have the long hair + beard since I like it, I think it's a nice look and even though it's not only a coincidence, it also fits my love for metal. I don't hide the fact that I like metal, why would I? I probably should do it once I'm a teacher but I'm a guy who's too frank about his beliefs to do it and a parent give a damn, that's his freaking conservative problem.

Fight the establishment but don't forget that by dressing "metal" you're only part of a new code that has rules as well.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:57 pm 

I'm a real pratical dresser, so I pretty much exclusively wear jeans and a t-shirt. I have two pair of jeans (yes indeed) and four shirts. two of them are bands shirts, the others are regular black shirts. I also have two hoodies and one blazer. I also have only one pair of shoes. I also don't have any accessories like wristbands, sun glasses, etc. Call me a bum, I call myself thrifty. So yeah, I don't see clothes as a way to express my love for music. Talking about music, listening to music, and possibly making music myself in the future seem like better ways of expressing myself.

Don't worry, I do own a good collection of underwear.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:01 pm 

I wear a lot of band shirts, but they tend to be all over the place, I have shirts for Modest Mouse, Tyler, The Creator, La Dispute and Altar of Plagues.
I have one patch shirt that people can usually guess my music taste, but I don't dress too over the top.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:01 pm 

Panflute wrote:
Except for the occasional bandshirt, I don't think anyone could guess my music taste judged on the way I dress. I like it that way. Cutting my hair short years ago was one of the best decisions I made in my life, so far.

Same here, except I wouldn't go as far as call cutting my hair one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I don't want to prance around like satanic christmas tree, I don't want to talk through my clothes, I don't want people to start conversation with me on the street because of my shirt(or because of anything else, but that's another matter)

DonHoorn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 pm 

From when I was 14 to like 19 I did dress 'metal'. As in everything black, band shirts, long hair etc. These days people don't know I listen to metal unless I tell them. Even when I do dress more metal people don't even seem to realize. I think because of the short hair. The only times I still dress metal is when I play live. I don't see it as that I grew out of it. It's more like as I got older I started caring less about looking the part.

Back then the reason I cut my hair was mostly just to see how people would react. Although everybody (including myself) thought it looked alot better the biggest reason I keep it short is just because it's easier and it's alot less time consuming.

For actual clothing I used to wear only black jeans. Now it's just jeans in any color that fit right and look good. I do still wear band shirts, but it has always been that I only bought shirt of bands I really liked and even then only if I also liked the design. That hasn't really changed, but now I also have lighter colors and same with the jeans I just buy what I like and looks good, band shirt or normal shirt.
Mtalcore Scene: "Yeah!"
*Metalcore scene rapes death metal*

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:03 pm 

Don't really dress metal at all, aside from the rare band shirt. To be honest, I'm not that into the style. I do wear motorcycle boots in the winter, but that doesn't really have anything to do with metal, just like them. I guess I dress fairly "normal" but it's not like I wear American Eagle. I have short hair, used to have it long but honestly it was a pain in the ass and I don't think it actually looked that good.
Metantoine wrote:
don't forget that by dressing "metal" you're only part of a new code that has rules as well.

This. I love how some metalheads will brag about how anti-conformist they are and how metal is all about individuality while they're all dressed exactly the same.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:17 pm 

I typically wear all black with a band shirt (not always metal though). I'm not trying to fit in or "look the part" or whatever, it's just what I like to wear.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 pm 

I love the metal look.

That being said, I like to be confortable in what I wear, that's why I don't go around like a Sarcofago band member (?), not because I don't like it. And I don't have a patch-vest because I'm to lazy haha.

I like to wear jeans and t-shirts, not because I want to look metal, but because I like the logos and the album covers and all. Right now I'm a wearing a Judas Priest one with the old logo on it and the trident on the back. Awesome.
And I wear black (and blue, the jeans) because I like strong and dark colors. I hate light colors. I have some non-band shirts, a deep red one and a deep blue one, and that's it.

What I really like is (and maybe it's not that metal) is jewelry. I love wearing rings, neckchains, wristchains, necklaces, maaan, I feel naked if I don't have something in my wrist. However, I have the "less is more" mentality, and I don't wear a lot a la Chuck Billy, I think that just one ring stands out more than say, three of them.

Last edited by Desperta_Ferro on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:23 pm 

Another thing, for me at least, being a high school senior near a college town, is that you get a lot better reception for band shirts if they are for older bands. If you have a Sabbath, Maiden, Saxon, or Dio shirt its the shit, but otherwise you get weird looks. I'm starting to think that wearing band shirts might be something to avoid in the future, as I don't want to be associated with many of the types that pull that shit.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:30 pm 

First of all; what is a metal dress?
If it's like the early Swedish DM scene dressed - ie jeans and (black) band shirt - then yes, I do dress metal. But not because I want to look metal, but because I'm genuinely uninterested in clothes and in my general appearance. I just want to put on whatever's at the top of the pile in my wardrobe without putting any thought into it.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:40 pm 

I work as an Actuary in a business environment, so i can't dress "metal" the majority of my day. Aside from that, i do alot of outdoor activities so metal wear just isn't that practical for doing a hike or biking or something like that.

When i go to a show i'll wear a band shirt and I'll buy them to support bands, but its definitely not part of my everyday identity

my last.fm

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:30 pm 

I've never put too much weight on the clothes I wear in terms of how I appear to other people, so most of the time when I wear clothes I'd like them to reflect my interests and passions. So I mostly wear band t-shirts. I don't really feel obligated to do so (I mean, I live in a small town in the middle of Buttfuck Nowhere, who would I be trying to impress?), but if clothing builds a person's perception of who you are, why not let them perceive you as how you would most realistically be perceived were they to get to know you?

I never bought into the whole studded belt/leather vest infatuation, though. Maybe I'm just too young to get it, but I don't intentionally try to dress in a way that attracts attention to myself, and I feel like taking it more overboard than a band shirt (and maybe a hat) would certainly draw that sort of attention.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 pm 

I pretty much adhere to the same attire as Scott Conner of Xasthur in that I don't want to draw attention to myself, especially in my early 30s, of wearing your typical overpriced band tees, hoods, everything else just to say to the world that "i'm a metalhead." Personally i'd rather people get to know me and my personality before judging me on my branded music tastes, these days I tend to leave people alone and don't get the usual "oh you like 1349, Enslaved, Satyricon etc too" conversation because when I go out shopping the last thing i'm thinking of is music.

Mostly for those reasons, and the fact I hate paying to be a walking advertising board with no 'royalties' coming back from anyone for the privilege of doing so.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:54 pm 

Only reason I don't wear my band shirts much anymore is because I can't wear them at work and I don't get out and about all that much.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:06 pm 

Rykov wrote:
I admit I'm a stickler for the unabashedly metal attire-- spiked leather jacket, ripped jeans, boots, bullet belts, the works. It's less out of a desire to 'fit in', so to speak, with the metal mould so much as simply an admiration for the general aesthetic of it.

that's more stereotypically "Punk" than anything, but okay.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 pm 

BTW, I dress like someone who's too depressed to care what he looks like. Sometimes I put a patchy vest on over that.
I also wear boots sometimes. I just think they look "cool", to be honest.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:16 pm 

I dress for comfort. Metal shirts/t-shirts from XC invitationals + athletic shorts + nice running shoes = comfort.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:21 pm 

Outside of work or formal affairs, my typical dress code is a pair of shorts, a random shirt, and flip flops. I try not to get too picky about wearing any of my metal shirts unless I'm going to a show or having some kind of band-related photo op.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm 

Aside the long hair, which I started growing even before I knew of metal, I pretty much look like your aveage plebian. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Kain797
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 pm 

I like some stuff out there, but there are a lot of pretty fucking shitty shirts/jumpers/designs circling out there. Because I work in construction I prefer to rock a sick Black Witchery hoody, Bathory Mercyful Fate shirts and that kind of stuff. I'm trying to find a few shirts of these bands, and I need a Bathory s/t shirt to work in as well. Nothing like keeping warm in this shit winter weather with some sick clothes, but like I said, there is a lot of shit out there, like those fucking Nunslaughter shirts.

Pm me if anyone wants to deal.

SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
I dress for comfort. Metal shirts/t-shirts from XC invitationals + athletic shorts + nice running shoes = comfort.

This. Though I've been wanting a denim jacket and fill up with patches because, fuck, I always thought that it looked great!

Utmu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 pm 

I dress based on how I feel I suppose. Some days I'll wear a Gojira or Skeletonwitch shirt, other days I'll wear dress pants and a dress shirt. Some days I'll even wear suits just because. Most of the time I wear the dress clothes or a dress shirt with jeans. My shoes are always dress shoes no matter what I'm wearing because 1.) I hate sneakers, 2.) For the purpose of this post, I only own dress shoes and sandals, the latter of which I wear around my house.

I tend to dress up because I like to look how most people view a "nice" dresser to look. And yes, I'll say it, I dress that way partially to impress other people. But I also dress that way simply because I like it. If I had band shirts that were in better condition and better represented my current tastes I'd probably wear them more often. Most of the one's I own are faded black band shirts from mainstream bands that I enjoyed in high school (several years ago). The only shirts I own that really reflect my tastes anymore are the Lair of the Minotaur shirt (which I can't find), my Skeletonwitch shirt, my Gojira shirt, and my Amon Amarth shirt (which is too small for me).

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 pm 

Kain797 wrote:
Because I work in construction I prefer to rock a sick Black Witchery hoody, Bathory Mercyful Fate shirts and that kind of stuff.

What does that have to do with working in construction?

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 pm 

Kain797 wrote:
I like some stuff out there, but there are a lot of pretty fucking shitty shirts/jumpers/designs circling out there. Because I work in construction I prefer to rock a sick Black Witchery hoody, Bathory Mercyful Fate shirts and that kind of stuff. I'm trying to find a few shirts of these bands, and I need a Bathory s/t shirt to work in as well. Nothing like keeping warm in this shit winter weather with some sick clothes, but like I said, there is a lot of shit out there, like those fucking Nunslaughter shirts.

Pm me if anyone wants to deal.

lol.

EDIT: sorry, I am just way too jaded to find this normal/not hilarious.

YEAH, BRO. I RLY NEED A BATHORY SHIRT I CAN WEAR TO WORK TO FEEL LIKE A BADASS. BJ <--- that's a smirking man with sunglasses, BTW, not an abbreviation for blowjob.

Just put a Bathory logo in the middle.

PS: Sorry, I'm feeling really [insert non-sexist adjective for "bitchy"] today.

Kain797
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:05 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
Kain797 wrote:
Because I work in construction I prefer to rock a sick Black Witchery hoody, Bathory Mercyful Fate shirts and that kind of stuff.

What does that have to do with working in construction?

If I'm working in this shit weather, I want to wear something warm that I like.

the_raytownian wrote:

lol.

EDIT: sorry, I am just way too jaded to find this normal/not hilarious.

YEAH, BRO. I RLY NEED A BATHORY SHIRT I CAN WEAR TO WORK TO FEEL LIKE A BADASS. BJ <--- that's a smirking man with sunglasses, BTW, not an abbreviation for blowjob.

Just put a Bathory logo in the middle.

PS: Sorry, I'm feeling really [insert non-sexist adjective for "bitchy"] today.
[/quote]

Good on ya smart arse. It's about listening to the music you have a passion for and supporting it by buying good merch, if you feel bitchy get off your comp and take it up with someone

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Rykov wrote:

that's more stereotypically "Punk" than anything, but okay.

Got a point-- especially true since I cut my hair short, which I don't regret at all. Either way, whatever you call it, I fucking love the aesthetic of it :v

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Maniacman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:55 am 

Worried about your image = fashion poof.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:04 am 

The last non metal shirt i bought was in 2009, a pure black large t shirt. Since then only metal shirts and a couple dress shirts. So if im not wearing one of my two plain shirts im stuck with a metal shirt, and ive gotta say i keep i try to keep it fresh. Work in a warehouse, listen to metal all day and i suppose i do enjoy wearing the graphics to go with the music.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 am 

I wear nothing but the blood of my enemies.

Anything else and your just a poser and should probably leave the hall.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:19 am 

Ha I've said it before. I wear label clothes, my hair is short back and sides, and I'm always smiling at people.

So the looks of disbelief I get when blaring Cannibal Corpse or Death out of my car window, are priceless

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

tek242
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 am 

Band shirt, jeans and zippered black hoodie. Shaved head because I can't be fucked having to worry about doing something with it. The ultimate in laziness.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:44 am 

It's rare that I go to shows without buying a shirt now, since the reality of the music industry right now is that bands get more money through merchandise than through album sales. I like to support the bands I really enjoy, which means that the majority of my wardrobe consists of band shirts.

How "metal" I actually look depends on the weather, though. The only band hoodie I own is a Cormorant one that I don't wear often because it's too big, and I tend to favor long sleeves and flannel in colder weather (never really liked the long-sleeve band shirts I've seen). So if I have to wear extra layers, it's not as obvious (though I'd like to do a patch jacket someday). And I keep my hair on the shorter side as well.

Also, I have a few non-metal band shirts - The Black Angels, Tool, The Builders and the Butchers (though this one could pass for a black metal shirt), etc.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:25 am 

Back in high school I used to wear a lot of band shirts and all that stuff, but nowadays I tend to stay away from most band merch. Not that I have anything against it, I just don't feel like it anymore. But I do like having designs on my jacket, and other more customizable things.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:42 am 

I wear band shirts occasionally. I got one by Morningstar, one by Pentagram and one by Musta Surma. Most of my band shirts are long gone, because when I was in sanitarium, my father made them into paint rags. Maybe he thought I should wear regular clothes. There was some 15 of them, hah. Now I wear mostly flanel and jeans, and I got Finnish army jacket as my summer jacket. I got long hair though, but I've thought about cutting it. It's just a pain in the ass really. But no bald either, because I would look like a monkey. Something in between.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next