Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:29 pm 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
And maybe Power Quest, but uggggggggggh to them!

Nothing 'ugggggh' about it, Neverworld is one of the best PM albums ever.

Malik82691
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:38 pm 

(↑) I'm adding Wings Of Forever to that list.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

Back in the 1977, there were three bands - Rainbow, Riot and Heavy Load - and they were played something very similar to the style which later would be called power metal. Those songs are unbelievably ahead of its time.

Back in the 1983-1984, there was an explosion. Influenced by Maiden, Priest and Accept, both USA and Europe had unleashed many albums that helped to develop the entire new style. You know those bands. Well, I want to mention only Satan's debut "Court in the Act" - this album was very ahead of its time. I believe it strongly helped to influence power metal in the 80's.

Back in 1987-1988, power metal, in its European style, had finally established. There were three classic works that were unleashed in the Europe, USA and Brazil, and bands didn't know about each other at that time I think:

- Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys (I/II)
- Riot - Thundersteel
- Viper - Soldiers of Sunrise

So, it's very hard to determine the first album(s). The entire genre had been developed in 10 years.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:18 pm 

Rainbow- Rising

That's the first power metal album.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:09 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Rainbow- Rising

Haha was just listening to this album this morning. While I wouldn't say its the first true pure power metal album, I do this it is one of the most influential albums to power metal and the sound does come very close to power metal and it is probably the only rainbow album I would call straight up pure heavy metal and not hard rock.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:11 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
Rainbow- Rising

Haha was just listening to this album this morning. While I wouldn't say its the first true pure power metal album, I do this it is one of the most influential albums to power metal and the sound does come very close to power metal and it is probably the only rainbow album I would call straight up pure heavy metal and not hard rock.

With a nip and a tuck here, one could make that exact description about the first Black Sabbath album.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:42 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:

With a nip and a tuck here, one could make that exact description about the first Black Sabbath album.

I guess so, though Sabbath is more the first metal band and most of their albums would classify as Metal, some even doom metal.

Anyways what about agent steel. Their fist album was released 1985 and it was pretty power metalish, and also Anvil's second album is pretty proto power metal.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
Isn't it sad that Great Britain doesn't have a lot to show for "power metal".
Not to worry.. pick 10 random UK metal bands and start calling their style "UKPM". I'm sure it will catch on with some people.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:03 am 

Ferturi wrote:
Would the american band Legend count as power metal? (of the "USPM" kind, obviously); it sounds to me similar to the style of Manilla Road; if so, it'd be the first band properly in the genre I guess, since their only album was released in '79.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JWcHIIGyI

Oh man that's awesome! Cant believe Ive never seen it mentioned around here before.

Ferturi wrote:
And I'm not entirely sure USPM can be classified as a separate genre; it truly sounds closer to trad. heavy metal than modern power metal to me; and most of my friends upon listening to it just call it "heavy metal".

Well in the end it's all just heavy metal. Ultimately you could just split heavy metal into two categories regular(speed/power/doom) and extreme(thrash/black/death)

To me what separates traditional heavy metal from USPM is that traditional heavy metal has more influence from its origin, so it tends to sound more blues like. I also would call a band that does not quite fit into doom, speed or power a traditional heavy metal band.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:20 pm 

I'd say Rainbow's Kill the King might be the first 'true' power metal song, and the finest at that.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:32 pm 

I was always under the impression Riot single-handedly invented the genre, but that could be false doctrine.....

mayonesa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:53 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am just kinda curious, but what would be considered the very first power metal album, for me I was thinking either manilla road's crystal logic or savatage's sirens, not really sure what other pm albums where earlier or around that time.

To my mind, power metal is NWOBHM/heavy metal that uses speed metal technique. So, I'd point to Powermad and Helstar.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:08 pm 

I would say that Rainbow's "Kill the King" is more proto-speed than proto-power.

An exceptionally thrashy and fast song for its time (1977) was Scorpions' "He's a Woman, She's a Man". By today's standards it sounds just normal if not familiar, but I think it was the closest song to speed metal and even thrash metal that had been recorded by 1977, followed closely by Judas Priest's "Dissident Agressor", Rainbow's "Kill the King", a few Sabbath numbers ("Symptom of the Universe", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", "Children of the Grave", "Paranoid") and then pehaps other Judas Priest, Scorpions and some Deep Purple..

I've already said that "Burn" (1974), by Deep Purple, is to me the first proto-power metal song.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:52 pm 

Either Rainbow or Judas Priest. Iron Maiden not long after

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 pm 

And what about Neon Knights? It's got the whole power metal package, lyrics and all.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:50 pm 

mayonesa wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am just kinda curious, but what would be considered the very first power metal album, for me I was thinking either manilla road's crystal logic or savatage's sirens, not really sure what other pm albums where earlier or around that time.

To my mind, power metal is NWOBHM/heavy metal that uses speed metal technique. So, I'd point to Powermad and Helstar.

I could actually agree with Helstar's burning star being the first power metal album. That or Savatage's sirens, but I started thinking manilla road's open the gates is their first power metal album not crystal logic. (sounds more old school heavy metal to me)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4