Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Leukoblast
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 pm 

Yeah, that. What do you guys think? Are there bad death metal bands? You can give bad any meaning you want. For me, I just think most old school death metal is pretty awesome. Also, I see on every DM youtube video people commenting stuff like 'This is (Insert any word similar to awesome here)' but I little see DM fans complaining about any specific band. Share your thoughts!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:00 pm 

Are you including slam death metal here?

Also, don't forget people usually go right for the music they want to listen in YT, so it's pretty obvious the comments are probably going to be positive.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 pm 

There's a ton of bad death metal. Broken Hope and Six Feet Under are both genuinely terrible.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 pm 

My go-to example for terrible OSDM is Excruciating Pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1O7cb7kUWI

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:51 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
There's a ton of bad death metal. Broken Hope and Six Feet Under are both genuinely terrible.

I came here to say just that.

Also post Souls Of Damnation-Blood Red Throne. I think Tchort and Erland leaving had a huge effect on what they sound like now. They're a bland, plodding and all round dull shell of their former selves.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Last edited by shwartzheim on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 pm 

Yes, it's called death-core. BADUMM-TSSSH

Heavy_T_Skubbs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 pm 

All of it.

Leukoblast
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 pm 

Blood_Red87 wrote:
Yes, it's called death-core. BADUMM-TSSSH

Lol, honestly I think there are some decent deathcore albums. But that's just me, since I like a wide variety of genres.

Yayattasa wrote:
Are you including slam death metal here?

Also, don't forget people usually go right for the music they want to listen in YT, so it's pretty obvious the comments are probably going to be positive.

Well, I don't really think slam should be included... Most of the bands sound the same in every song (To me, ofc). And, well... Yeah, you got a good point there, but also you can see many thrash or power metal fans complaining about the bands they like. That doesn't happen too frequently with death metal.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:05 pm 

I've been thinking about this for a while actually, at least within the world of pre-95 or so death metal. In short, kinda no. Like obviously it's not all great, and I think a huge amount of the shit is ludicrously overrated, but I can't think of any real OSDM which actively disgusts and horrifies me. I have a feeling it's simply due to the exceptionally simple idea behind it, and the enjoyable tones that were favoured back in the day; the formula of big simple riffs, low grunts/on fire shrieks, dense guitar sound and big riff counts (super atmospheric no-riff OSDM is a modern twist) is simply too easy to fuck up much. At worst early DM tends to just be boring, but even then for me personally a boring, mediocre OSDM is going to be more tolerable to me than a thrash or black one, simply due to taste and my general.acceptance of the most basic ideas. Some stuff does swing around to being HORRIBLY boring, like Broken Hope's debut, but actually finding a DM album from that era that actively annoys or insults me with its very existence for even short periods has been a feat I am yet to achieve.

MutantClannfear wrote:
My go-to example for terrible OSDM is Excruciating Pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1O7cb7kUWI

Yep, I still like this every time you bring it up. I like the layered and processed vocals, I like the thrashy uptempo part in the middle, this fits easily into my "pretty ok" branch of OSDM, if not slightly above because those vocals give me the Funebrarums...

Last edited by lord_ghengis on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:11 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

I do think Broken Hope's "Loathing" was a very good release, but they do seem to be a band that is very maligned in the metal scene anymore, especially after that whole debacle with Glen Benton some months ago. The fact that their new album (released on Century fuckin' Media), is still sitting there at 0% with only one "review" (it's not really a "review", but that's neither here nor there!) is a pretty good testament to that...and Six Feet Under is a good example as well. Almost everyone seems to hate them.

What about Aborted? I never see anyone badmouth them, but personally I just can't get past their generic metalcore vocalist.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:14 pm 

People badmouth Aborted all the time, Slaughter and Apparatus and Strychnine.213 are some of the easiest targets for modern death metal barrel shooting.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:29 pm 

Count_Venereal wrote:
All of it.

*Hysterically flabbergasted and butt-maimed*

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 pm 

Of course it does. I probably dislike most death metal.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 pm 

i consider broken hope kinda boring for the most part except for loathing which i enjoy to some extend.
Now when it comes to stuff like debauchery or something.... now thats TERRIBLE.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:49 pm 

If you were to count Rings of Saturn as a death metal band, they'd count as probably the worst one I've heard. Six Feet Under may suck, but their sucking doesn't piss me off the way Rings of Saturn does. It's astounding how terrible they are.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:50 pm 

Decrepit Birth, Fleshgod Apocalypse, later Septic Flesh and post-Stench Deicide all make a fairly good case for awful DM. But yeah, I get it; they're not even nearly the worst out there in terms of the underground.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:52 pm 

I think that there is bad everything. Death metal is designed for people who enjoy metal in general, so if you see fast riffs, dirty guitar sounds and heavy loud drumming as positive things, it's not likely that you'll see most death metal as bad. But I think relatively speaking there is room for such judgement. Some death metal is better than other death metal. There are a lot of bands that have the formula down pat, and if you really like that formula then you'll love them, but if you have high standards for originality or unique songwriting you might not necessarily find them appealing. Iunno.

Subrick wrote:
If you were to count Rings of Saturn as a death metal band, they'd count as probably the worst one I've heard. Six Feet Under may suck, but their sucking doesn't piss me off the way Rings of Saturn does. It's astounding how terrible they are.

Well, it's really not fair to call them death metal though... When you try and compare them to death metal, they're just going to sound awful. You couldn't come up with a band that puts together more cliches of modern "progressive" death-core and djent wank. That being said, of ALL the nauseating progressive death-core bands out there, they're probably the best... If that means anything.

Last edited by CF_Mono on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:53 pm 

I'll be the guy to bring up Enmity first. A thread like this was designed for them.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:53 pm 

Hmm, I guess I belong to the camp of "anything pre-'95 was listenable at worst". I can think of some really terrible death metal bands but they're all newer - Ex Deo, Fleshgod Apocalypse, loads of really shitty brutal DM, etc.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 pm 

If we're gonna consider specific albums by good bands in this as well, how about Promise by Massacre?

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:19 am 

Has everyone forgotten Mortician? They sucked pretty hard.

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:42 am 

Death Metal maniac here: i hold no illusions to it's quality and i question the insight/conviction of anyone who thinks any one genre is 'all good'........it's the same as the rest of them-there's the surface bands, then the 1st rate, 2nd rate, 3rd etc all the way down to the bottom of the barrel to shit jokes like SFU, Lord Gore or Argohslent.....crap like that

though as someone who lives for Death, i find the 3rd and 4th rate stuff tolerable to enjoyable (even some rare gems, if not for originality than sincerity) but it's because that's just the kinda shit i like....whereas people who aren't so diehard for it would probably find a lot of that stuff to be total shit. change this from Death Metal to Black, Doom, Thrash etc. it's the same deal for their diehards

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:09 am 

I'm not going to really debate whether certain bands listed here are good or bad or even death metal at all to be considered... That's kinda pointless since it's all a matter of taste. but I will say yes there is bad death metal. There are tons of bands not even on a decent underground level that were tremedously boring/sloppy/scattershot in their writing. It's just like every form of music... there is good and bad to it. Nothing is completely devoid of horrible half ass attempts.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:19 am 

there's great music, and terrible music, in just about any genre you can think of, even your favorate genre. Death metal is certainly no different. I mean, I love speed/thrash metal and there is a LOT of terrible speed thrash metal bands, for instance.

And yeah, Mortician (USA) were pretty bad, but there are/were a lot worse. MUCH worse. Bands with "Eeeee reeee breee yrrrr gurrr" vocals, random and mindless chromatic riffing and pointless start-and-stop songwriting, generic as heck...I could go on but you get the idea.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:55 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:

I can't say I've heard of Broken Hope but Six Feet Under are just simply excruciatingly average.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:33 am 

It's all a matter of opinion. There are death metal bands that I think are bad, but you might disagree. There are "bad" bands in all genres but just because you think they are bad somebody else might not think so.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:48 am 

Well, of course there are differences of opinion, but I think these come into play much more for more recent death metal since the genre has grown and diversified so much in somewhat recent years. Early on, even if there were 3rd and 4th tier DM bands as people have mentioned, the very basic formula was so difficult to really screw up that even the least interesting of the old school bands are still listenable/enjoyable to some extent to anyone who appreciates old school styles. A perfect example is Goddefied - they're basically the most generic swedeath band I can think of but they're still completely enjoyable because that style is so appealing on a basic level that a band that merely performs it competently is still pretty damn cool. Even those of us who have regional preferences would probably be hard-pressed to really have strong negative feelings toward any particular band or scene; while I myself much prefer swedeath and stuff like Asphyx to much of what was going on in Florida in the early days, I can still put on just about any Florida DM album of that era and have a good time with it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:47 am 

Subrick wrote:

I actually think Rings of saturn's first album is one of the better deathcore albums. Though I don't like their follow up. But its not death metal.

As for the topic, I love most of the old school style death metal bands. Both U.S. and Swedish bands. However the exception would be cannibal corpse and six feet under. But idk if i would call them horrible, I just don't like them. I also don't like most slam or brutal death metal.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:48 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:

And yet, I just enjoyed that all the way through.

There's a lot of hate on Fleshgod Apocalypse here which I don't buy. They have a style which divides opinions, but I have a hard time believing someone could hear [/i]Oracles[/i] and say they're a terrible band of terrible musicians making terrible music. Disliking a style is not the same thing as the music being bad.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

satanscurse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:09 am 

Of course, just listen to the majority of it! It would be alot easier to mention the things that did suck.....
For example I just listened to the new Behemoth. Sucked! (Call it death metal or not(

Last edited by satanscurse on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:09 am 

ENKC wrote:
Disliking a style is not the same thing as the music being bad.

Can we not get into the "objectivity vs. subjectivity" argument again? Everybody you're arguing against knows the difference fully well; it's only you who's misinterpreting them.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:25 am 

I usually like it as long as it doesn't have "brutal" or "melodic" in front of it...

ps. oh and as long as it isn't "rip-off-your-fucking-head-then-cum-and-shit-down-your-neck" kind of death metal (CC-ish)

Last edited by LeMiserable on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leukoblast
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:33 am 

Well, I think we can all agree when it comes to stuff like porngrind and any band that includes those ridiculous fart vocals. Oxenkiller and Subrick stated that pretty well up there ^ I just checked out Enmity and they're just a bad joke. Do people who play that kind of nonsense crap are actually serious? hah.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:28 am 

Dethklok is pretty bad (on paper and in practice). For a band that's supposed to be the 'epitome of brutal' in a show parodying death metal - their music is some of the blandest, softest "death metal" I've ever heard. Their music has the strong aroma of a reinterpretation of death metal from someone who knows absolutely dick about death metal. Maybe Dethrok would've been a more fitting concept? I know people don't take them seriously because of the show - but I've definitely noticed that the band itself has somehow accumulated its own little legion of fans.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 am 

Most new proto/retro death metal bands in Sweden who blend in 70's psychedelia, D-Beat and other punkish elements.
Ripping off of Autopsy, Sarcofago and Venom is not my cup of tea, but then again, I never really liked any of those bands!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 am 

As in any genre there are two categories of bands that will always suck: Bands who lack artistic integrity (e.g. due to selling out) and bands who have no talent.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:16 am 

Repetition/lack of ideas and extreme simplicity are major negatives for me, so naturally as someone that doesn't even really enjoy classic Obituary or Death's Spiritual Healing, third-tier clones of that sound are intolerable to me.

Re: Massacre's Rebirth, not a death metal album from what I know of it. The song posted is basically groove/thrash with deeper vocals.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:26 am 

Slam, faggotry tech-death and death-core. No exception.

Typical tech-death fan: "I listen to Necrophagist and The Sound Of Perseverance. Who are you poor inferior who listen to such a form of primitive, primate and ignorant bands like Autopsy, Broken Hope, Incantation or Mortician?"

"You make it easy."

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:26 am 

Yes, it does exist. For me, some of the older bands like Benediction, certain Dutch groups and also some lesser-known US-American bands are guilty of this. They have not managed to come up with any redeeming songs, instead just plodding away eventlessly, completely devoid of anything resembling memorable, impressive, powerful, dark or menacing riffs. This from a guy who listens to and enjoys all forms and variations of older DM.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:38 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
Slam, faggotry tech-death and death-core. No exception.

Typical tech-death fan: "I listen to Necrophagist and The Sound Of Perseverance. Who are you poor inferior who listen to such a form of primitive, primate and ignorant bands like Autopsy, Broken Hope, Incantation or Mortician?"

o_O

Question: What about technical death metal is "faggotry"? Defeated Sanity plays technical death metal and they're the cream of the crop as far modern DM goes. Death metal has evolved long past the days of Autopsy, Broken Hope, Mortician, etc. - is using more than a handful of power cords really all that gay? You know there's more to technical death metal than instrument wanking, right?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next