Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord Insanus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Arabia/118266
Arabia, first and only Black Metal band from Oman.

Lord Insanus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:12 pm 

Also:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Daemon/3540302586
Daemon, the first black metal band from Brunei, formed in 1988

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Godblood/7634
Godblood from Cyprus, formed in 1991

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Day ... 3540316874
Days Of Our Lives from Gibraltar (2010)

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Acheron_Gates/11360
Acheron Gates, from Israel (1989)

Eulogydemise
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:32 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
That list makes no sense, you mixed full on bestial black metal with 80s gritty speed metal, people also called Celtic Frost thrash metal, the fact that you and your buddies felt super bad ass calling it black metal does not change anything. The fact that you included Mercyful Fate (heavy metal) and Necrovore (old school death metal) in the same list, takes away all your credibility. In your book every extreme gritty form of metal with satanic imaginery was black metal, you are trying to define a genre by the looks and lyrical content, but the failure is that your criteria applies/ed to almost the half of the metal bands back then, regardless of the genre. Not so sure about that. Considering Show no Mercy early USBM is hilarious to me, but hey! everyone can have an opinion, right?

Not an "opinion", kid. That is FACT. I was there.

You are showing your age and therefore ignorance by making such ludicrous statements. The term Black Metal was not yet the current and widely accepted, and unfortunately, understood term that makes people think of panda painted posers like Dimmu Borgir as it is today. That is the general consensus, and it cannot be debated. When you tell your average person you listen to Black Metal, if they even know what it is, they immediately and automatically think of the character on the box of the video game Guitar Hero: black and white face paint, long black hair, spikes, boots etc, or in other words, Abbath from Immortal. This is thanks to modern day "mainstreaminization" of Black Metal by those who read Lords of Chaos and think that Black Metal started in Norway in 1991.

But, I digress. For you to say that I and my buddies felt "super bad ass" by calling the music that we did Black Metal, again, shows your age and ignorance.

In the modern day and sense of the term explained above, kids use it now to try to seem "rebellious" or "evil and crazy" to the jocks that they are in school with, or to separate themselves from the Lamb Of God/Behemoth crowd. The use it to try to be different, as all teens do, and say that they listen to "Black Metal" to try to look "super bad ass" and "scary" because not only does it make them seem that they are "more underground" than anyone else and therefore a unique individual, but also because it is a safety tactic for the average loner/nerd/wimpy kid who listens to current Black Metal in general, because you feel "empowered" and "strong" to listen to this music. It is a statement and "warning" to those who would normally push you around, that you "worship the devil" and listen to the music "where the band members kill each other and eat each other's brains. I saw it on Vh1 that they did this!", so you must be "crazy" and in your words "super bad ass".

But, and here is what you could never understand unless you were there, is that when we were kids and using the term, "Black Metal" only meant raw, fast, Satanic Metal. We were not trying to be "different" or "scary" as no one knew what the fuck the music even was. If we wore a Slayer or Sepultura shirt in the 80's into the early 90's, chances were that almost NO ONE knew what the bands were, much less be afraid of anyone who listened to it. Back then, Iron Maiden sounded like Deicide to the average person not into Metal. The bands mentioned in my previous 2 posts fully explain why they are indeed Black Metal, and why bands such as Exodus, Hirax, Metallica etc were not. The black leather and spikes, the gruff, raw vocals of Cronos, Quorthon and Tom Araya that sang lyrics glorifying Satan and overthrowing Christ and the church, spitting blasphemies and praising evil. They were not the same as the "party" "fun" vocals and image of other bands who were more known and labeled as straight up Thrash/Speed Metal, such as Exodus, Hirax etc. That is the determining factor. Slayer was E-V-I-L. Exodus were not. It was evident in the music, image, lyrics and artwork. Period.

To put it into perspective one final time, and another gleaming example of the facts, pick up and read the book "The Bloody Reign Of Slayer" written by Joel McIver. Many key sentiments and interviews were included within that really only those who were there could understand fully, but also further drive home the fact of what Black Metal is, was and always shall be. From page 56 in the book:

Jeff Dunn (Mantas from Venom): "I remember watching Slayer and thinking, 'what the fuck are you doing, boys?' They were going so far beyond what we were doing, with all of the Black Metal stuff."

Following that quote, the author then writes:
"As the term was understood in 1985, Slayer were indeed playing Black Metal."

Bottom line, and undebatable facts: Venom were the first Black Metal band. Slayer were the first Black Metal band from the US. "Welcome to Hell", "Black Metal", "Show No Mercy" and "Haunting The Chapel" were and will always be amongst the first Black Metal recordings ever.

End of story.

*edits due to typos/misspellings

Last edited by Eulogydemise on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Eulogydemise
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:36 pm 

Civil wrote:
Eulogy is absolutely correct.

This discussion can be solved by simple observations. The fact of the matter is that Venom brought the basic elements to the table, the super-aggressive song writing within a metal context, together with the intense satanic elements and imagery.

What happened after that are variations on a theme. Broadly speaking if you have fast, aggressive metal with satanic themes and images, that's black metal. That's how the history of music sees it, will see it and that's how it is.

What we had after that are developments and variations, which achieved a very particular creative output in Norway/Europe. But those variations do not change the core elements which were created by Venom and then developed by Slayer, Sepultura, etc, etc. And which stay the same to this day.

An obsession with categorizing genres and sub-sub-sub-genres concerning yourself with minor variations is not a very interesting/healthy way for looking at creative output. Writing music this way tends to lead to copies and hence mediocrity, plus it shows much more a problem with obsession and intolerance to variation from the person who is examining the music than it demonstrates what the music itself is. Certainly musicians feel uncomfortable with being put in sub-categories all the time, as it displays a tendency of the critic to label everything they are trying to communicate as this and that. It rules out creativity and becomes an exercise in looking at meaningless variations and putting little stamps on them.

When a band creates a whole new genre, that's another story. It is a different process and the core elements do clearly change.

This is 100% dead on. I am glad that someone else here understand the facts and is not a revisionist "expert" such as the internet era generation in their 20's and younger. Thank you Civil. Before your post I was beginning to think that the truth was all but lost.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm 

Eulogydemise wrote:

And there you have it. The definition has changed. You can keep on using the term as it was used *then* and stick to your "you weren't there, you young upstarts!" cane-waving, Abe Simpson ranting, but the fact of the matter is that the term has been adopted to describe a musical genre that came to be during the second wave and is no longer just a vague descriptor for a variety of 80's bands who, indeed, helped create some of the musical and non-musical aesthetics of black metal as it is known now.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:25 pm 

The amount of strawmen doesn't equate to the irrefutability of your logic, Eulogydemise. Cool down and think it over.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:29 pm 

Eulogydemise wrote:

Bottom line, and undebatable facts: Venom were the first Black Metal band. Slayer were the first Black Metal band from the US. "Welcome to Hell", "Black Metal", "Show No Mercy" and "Haunting The Chapel" were and will always be amongst the first Black Metal recordings ever.

Honesty I always thought of Venom as the first Thrash Metal band, not Black Metal and Slayer is not black metal, if anything kreator is closer to black metal than they and no one calls them that (because they aren't black metal.) To me the first black metal band would be either hellhammer (while they sound BM to me not 100% sure they count or not) or bathory.

Eulogydemise
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:30 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
The amount of strawmen doesn't equate to the irrefutability of your logic, Eulogydemise. Cool down and think it over.

I'm glad that you have your "word a day" calendar, bu your use of the word "strawman" is incorrect. I am stating facts. They are written during the time. The definition has grown, honed and sharpened over time, but the fact remains, Black Metal is a multifaceted genre, and removing any of the band that I mentioned (and for the one guy mentioning Kreator, I did so on page 2, and back then Kreator were 100% one of the "Slayer-babies", so....) then strips Black metal down to bands that would not exist were it not for those removed. You all seem to worship the Norwegian clowns, and your "god" is Fenriz, so check out what he has to say regarding this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9-5urh814s

From the sounds of your band, which i heard by clicking on your sig, I can understand how you are clueless as to what Black Metal is and supposed to be.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:34 pm 

Is Eulogydemise Civil's alternate persona? It sure sounds like him.

Eulogydemise
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:53 pm 

Marag wrote:
Is Eulogydemise Civil's alternate persona? It sure sounds like him.

Sorry man, not him.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:07 pm 

Eulogydemise wrote:
You all seem to worship the Norwegian clowns, and your "god" is Fenriz

Apparently, "strawman" is the word of the day!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:42 pm 

Eulogydemise wrote:

Using the basic logic in your post, we should also believe that the Earth is flat just because that's what people thought first. Sorry Grampa Simpson-metalhead, but everything evolves eventually (metal included), whether you want it to or not; no dice.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:43 am 

Though I ,,wasn't there" and I'm 25 years old (about 10 years in metal more or less), but I always considered Slayer's first LP, as well as many other bands Mr. Eulogydemise has pointed out, as black metal.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:38 pm 

grooveris wrote:
Though I ,,wasn't there" and I'm 25 years old (about 10 years in metal more or less), but I always considered Slayer's first LP, as well as many other bands Mr. Eulogydemise has pointed out, as black metal.

Ummmm if anything, slayer's first album is a lot closer to Speed Metal, I mean the whole album sounds like early Iron Maiden on steroids with a dash of Venom.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:02 pm 

That's pretty much exactly what black metal soudned like at the time though. In fact it's a perfect way to describe Tormentor's Anno Domini for example, and noone's questioning that thing's black metal credentials.

ANyway, I'm so sick of this kind of shit. You can sort of put me in "the oldschool stuff is black metal" camp but really, I don't give a damn what people want to call black metal, or where they think it started. Everything is just a natural development of something else.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:57 pm 

There have been like 3 or 4 threads talking about the early black metal bands.

Sadly (for some), sometimes, some definitions change over time. See that Zeppelin was called heavy metal back then but, aside 2 or 3 songs at best, they were a very bluesy rock band.

There's also the case of styles that were born and were recognized as standalone subgenres later, like doom metal, which if I remember well wasn't called like that until Candlemass' debut or around that date, despite doom bands existing before that.

I can recall that Slayer was called both death and black metal, Morbid Angel was called black metal, Deicide was called black metal, Kreator was called death and black metal, Destruction was called black metal and so on. Black metal was a umbrella term for everything fast, heavy and satanic. Simple as that. The definition was lately refined with the rise of Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and especially Bathory, then for the second wave bm bands.

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:57 am 

Impurity and Korovakill tie for firsts in Austria, even though their recorded output was later than other Austrian stalwarts such as Belphegor and more cult acts like The Call of the Four Gates

Foralltime
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 am 

I would say that in Poland the first black metal band was Kat.
They formed in 1979 and their first full lenght came out in 1985 titled "Metal and Hell", then a year later came out their second full lenght "666".
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kat/4243

Edit: Forgot to mention that the first and second album are basically the same, only that the first one is in english and the second in polish.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:54 am 

fuck off - Slayer is not black metal. that's absurd and not even worth arguing about.

Is Slipknot death metal? People called them that for quite some time (I understand that the first may be dm by a hell of a stretch). Is Kiss heavy metal? Oh, maybe Guns N' Roses too? Oh yeah and Lou Reed invented noise music.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:16 pm 

Eulogydemise wrote:

No, dude. I am 47 years old and I was there!! The term black metal in the very early 80s was loosely applied to Venom for the obvious reasons. There may have been a few occasions where the term was applied to Mercyful Fate only because of the overtly satanic content as with Venom. The term was very loosely applied and not very often. No one said they listened to "Black Metal." Slayer was thrash...period! Sepultura was thrash...period! The term Black Metal being used to describe a specific genre began with Bathory.

Like your reviews?

der_kaiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:11 pm 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
Thought it might be interesting to throw it out to everyone to discuss what they consider to be the first black metal bands from each country. While some opinions may differ on what some early "black metal" actually is, it would be interesting to discuss without getting into petty insult territory. Some picks might seem obvious (Sweden - Bathory, UK - Venom etc.), but even then I might be wrong!

I'll kick it off with Australia -

I'd hazard to say that either Slaughter Lord (1985) or Sadist (the pre-Sadistik Exekution band featuring lead singer Rok, circa 1984) might be contenders, the former being more blackened thrash than any pure BM sound, but still with a necro sound in parts.

Any thoughts on this? How about for other countries?

Current Profile by Country: (will be added to / amended as discussion progresses)

Argentina - Cerbero (1984)
Australia - Slaughter Lord (1985), Sadist (1984)
Austria - Impurity (1990), Korovakill (1990)
Barbados - Conrad (2009)
Belgium - Ancient Rites (1988)
Brazil - Vulcano (1981)
Brunei - Daemon (1988)
Bulgaria - Диктатор (1989)
Canada - Blasphemy (1984)
Colombia - Parabellum (1983)
Chile - Bloody Cross (1986), The Morgue (1986), Death Yell (1986)
China - 异端 (1997)
Czech Republic 666 (1983)
Cyprus - Godblood (1991)
Denmark - Mercyful Fate (1981), Samhain (1984)
Ecuador - C.R.Y. (1987)
Finland - Beherit (1989), Satanic Evil (1989)
Georgia - Diaohki (1999)
Germany - Sodom (1981), Semen of Satan (1981)
Gibraltar - Days of Our Lives (2010)
Greece - Rotting Christ (1987)
Iceland - Flames of Hell (1984)
Indonesia - Dry (1990), Khasarath (1990)
Israel - Acheron Gates (1989)
Italy - Bulldozer (1980)
Japan - Sabbat (1983/4)
Mexico - Frightful Cross (1986)
Moldova - Witch Desire (1993)
Netherlands - Choronzon (1987)
Norway - 666 (1982)
Oman - Arabia (2000)
Philippines - Deiphago (1989)
Poland - Kat (1979), Fantom (1985)
Portugal - Bactherion (1989)
Slovakia - Nemrael (1990)
South Korea - Sexfuck (1994)
Sweden - Bathory (1983)
Switzerland - Hellhammer/Celtic Frost (1982/1984)
Turkey - Witchtrap (1988)
United Kingdom - Venom (1979)
United States - NME (1984)

Puerto Rico: Godless(1989)

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:08 am 

der_kaiser wrote:

Puerto Rico: Godless(1989)

Cheers for the suggestion, I'll look to add it. Before I do, what about Velyal? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Velyal/27287

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am 

Wait, you seem to forget Archgoat. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Archgoat/4357
I'm not sure they can be placed among with Beherit and Satanic Evil, but they're death/black metal, so it quite makes sense to me.

Eulogydemise
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:01 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Eulogydemise wrote:

No, dude. I am 47 years old and I was there!! The term black metal in the very early 80s was loosely applied to Venom for the obvious reasons. There may have been a few occasions where the term was applied to Mercyful Fate only because of the overtly satanic content as with Venom. The term was very loosely applied and not very often. No one said they listened to "Black Metal." Slayer was thrash...period! Sepultura was thrash...period! The term Black Metal being used to describe a specific genre began with Bathory.

Look, there is really no need to keep going on and on about this because no one is going to agree here, but guy, I am 42, and I'll tell you now, that I and my crew were not your typical 80's thrashers. We didn't like Anthrax and S.O.D. or M.O.D. and we were really just a small group of guys who were into Satanic music. We were set on separating the scene back then from normal thrashers which you may have been. The types of guys we were, were not like the metal guys into Ozzy and Metallica and just happened to like edgier stuff like Slayer and Celtic Frost. Hell, I remember back in 1987 people telling me that 'Reign In Blood' was noise but they all were Metallica fans.

There was a divide back then everyone, but maybe not too many others really saw it outside of the undergrounds guys. The underground was really that back then. It doesn't exist now thanks to the internet, but we had stacks of zines, and folders full of addresses and trading lists and we wanted to bring about the same things that Euronymous eventually did. We were just like him because we felt no connection to the rest of the metal heads back then. We were the guys in Metal shirts, black leather jackets and ripped jeans with boots 24-7, and to us, being in-the-know about real underground music made us feel good because our obsession got us into bands that no one heard of and that were so much better than the mainstream bands.

No internet back then as we both know guy, and I will tell you now, my crew and I hated that people called Slayer and others "Thrash Metal" in the magazines and lists! To us, "Thrash" music was Cryptic Slaughter, C.O.C., D.R.I., D.B.C. and the ilk and guys who called Slayer, Bathory and Frost that were posers to us! That is what separated us from the normal poser guys into Metallica and W.A.S.P and Motley Crue and Guns N Roses and Poison. We lived in tape trading and zine collecting, and getting into Metal as a way of life. That's all we talked about, all we listened to and all we cared about. It wasn't just some party music to play at backyard parties in the background. Granted I do not know you, but I am just telling ya, your response reminds me of the guys we used to argue with about these things. At the end of the day, we should all just agree to disagree now. I now see that kids in their 20's and younger think Black Metal is just a form of music that sounds and looks like the Scandinavians only. I however will always know that Black Metal is not just a sound of music. Many aspects make the whole, and yeah I'm an old fart now, but lemme tell ya, if some of you played like Marty McFly and went back and lived a day in my shoes, you'd understand that Black Metal has grown and developed, and that what we called "Black Metal" then is still Black Metal now, just the beginning when it was still being developed. It sucks to know that no one seems to understands this today.

Oh well, back to the nursing home to get my meds. Seems I am delusional and have no real memories.

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:14 pm 

taufan99 wrote:
Wait, you seem to forget Archgoat. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Archgoat/4357
I'm not sure they can be placed among with Beherit and Satanic Evil, but they're death/black metal, so it quite makes sense to me.

Indeed I did miss Archgoat....now why did I do that? Fixed

@ Eulogydemise - Cheers for that post, made me smile, nod and laugh in equal proportions. Long live the First Wave...

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:57 am 

Oh also, I would like to discuss this band. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Grausig/9194
Can this band be considered the first black metal band in Indonesia even though their only recording that's more to black metal was only "Feed the Flesh to the Beast"? (Their latter albums are more to brutal technical death metal, you can listen to some of the songs taken from the album "In the Name of All Who Suffered and Died" on the band's official Youtube) I have the entire album, so if you want to listen to the songs, I'll send you a PM.

coldethyl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:58 am 

Eulogydemise wrote:
IanThrash wrote:
That list makes no sense, you mixed full on bestial black metal with 80s gritty speed metal, people also called Celtic Frost thrash metal, the fact that you and your buddies felt super bad ass calling it black metal does not change anything. The fact that you included Mercyful Fate (heavy metal) and Necrovore (old school death metal) in the same list, takes away all your credibility. In your book every extreme gritty form of metal with satanic imaginery was black metal, you are trying to define a genre by the looks and lyrical content, but the failure is that your criteria applies/ed to almost the half of the metal bands back then, regardless of the genre. Not so sure about that. Considering Show no Mercy early USBM is hilarious to me, but hey! everyone can have an opinion, right?

You are showing your age and therefore ignorance by making such ludicrous statements. The term Black Metal was not yet the current and widely accepted, and unfortunately, understood term that makes people think of panda painted posers like Dimmu Borgir as it is today. That is the general consensus, and it cannot be debated. When you tell your average person you listen to Black Metal, if they even know what it is, they immediately and automatically think of the character on the box of the video game Guitar Hero: black and white face paint, long black hair, spikes, boots etc, or in other words, Abbath from Immortal. This is thanks to modern day "mainstreaminization" of Black Metal by those who read Lords of Chaos and think that Black Metal started in Norway in 1991.

But, I digress. For you to say that I and my buddies felt "super bad ass" by calling the music that we did Black Metal, again, shows your age and ignorance.

In the modern day and sense of the term explained above, kids use it now to try to seem "rebellious" or "evil and crazy" to the jocks that they are in school with, or to separate themselves from the Lamb Of God/Behemoth crowd. The use it to try to be different, as all teens do, and say that they listen to "Black Metal" to try to look "super bad ass" and "scary" because not only does it make them seem that they are "more underground" than anyone else and therefore a unique individual, but also because it is a safety tactic for the average loner/nerd/wimpy kid who listens to current Black Metal in general, because you feel "empowered" and "strong" to listen to this music. It is a statement and "warning" to those who would normally push you around, that you "worship the devil" and listen to the music "where the band members kill each other and eat each other's brains. I saw it on Vh1 that they did this!", so you must be "crazy" and in your words "super bad ass".

But, and here is what you could never understand unless you were there, is that when we were kids and using the term, "Black Metal" only meant raw, fast, Satanic Metal. We were not trying to be "different" or "scary" as no one knew what the fuck the music even was. If we wore a Slayer or Sepultura shirt in the 80's into the early 90's, chances were that almost NO ONE knew what the bands were, much less be afraid of anyone who listened to it. Back then, Iron Maiden sounded like Deicide to the average person not into Metal. The bands mentioned in my previous 2 posts fully explain why they are indeed Black Metal, and why bands such as Exodus, Hirax, Metallica etc were not. The black leather and spikes, the gruff, raw vocals of Cronos, Quorthon and Tom Araya that sang lyrics glorifying Satan and overthrowing Christ and the church, spitting blasphemies and praising evil. They were not the same as the "party" "fun" vocals and image of other bands who were more known and labeled as straight up Thrash/Speed Metal, such as Exodus, Hirax etc. That is the determining factor. Slayer was E-V-I-L. Exodus were not. It was evident in the music, image, lyrics and artwork. Period.

To put it into perspective one final time, and another gleaming example of the facts, pick up and read the book "The Bloody Reign Of Slayer" written by Joel McIver. Many key sentiments and interviews were included within that really only those who were there could understand fully, but also further drive home the fact of what Black Metal is, was and always shall be. From page 56 in the book:

Jeff Dunn (Mantas from Venom): "I remember watching Slayer and thinking, 'what the fuck are you doing, boys?' They were going so far beyond what we were doing, with all of the Black Metal stuff."

Following that quote, the author then writes:

End of story.

*edits due to typos/misspellings

Nothing new to add to this..I just wanted to say I completely agree. I still consider bands like Guns N Roses and Twisted Sister as heavy metal though so take it for what it's worth.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:52 am 

Eulogydemise: The amount of logical fallacies you use in your rhetoric is enough to make any point you're making moot; that passive-aggressive diatribe, no true scotsman fallacy and general martyrdom eats at your credibility. Not to mention your insistence of ignoring the prospect of lexical change, and the incredibly condescending attitude you have towards everyone, as well as the seeming preoccupation with the idea that erroneous negligence to label something as black metal should somehow lower its worth (ridiculous!). It should be quite obvious to you why it's so hard to take you seriously.

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:55 am 

The only Jamaican metal band (that also happens to be black metal), Orisha Shakpana.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ori ... 3540284194

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:05 am 

taufan99 wrote:
The only Jamaican metal band (that also happens to be black metal), Orisha Shakpana.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ori ... 3540284194

Thanks for that - added to the profile.

Keep them (and the discussion) flowing...

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:02 pm 

May not be a contender for the list, but does anyone know much about this band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbg5zc-Vv4

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:28 pm 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
May not be a contender for the list, but does anyone know much about this band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbg5zc-Vv4

That's a face-painted thrash band, not a black metal band, and they're on the archives.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%D0 ... %80/127296

This thread is a poor choice for asking about that, hasn't been posted in for over five months, and is kind of dumb because it only accounts for the year of formation of bands, not when they first actually started playing black metal.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4