Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 pm 
 

How can it be foot in mouth? I stand by my statement 100%, anything said against it is just pointless stupidity. That's all, so that facepalm sorta applies to your question as well.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 3318
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:26 am 
 

I think there's some obvious reason why that artwork looks strikingly similar to the art for the new Gorguts album.
_________________
Oddeye wrote:
bug_man wrote:
a whole planet, made out of satan


That. Is. METAL!

Top
 Profile  
Mike_64
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 732
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:06 am 
 

ld50 wrote:
I like Oracles quite a bit and Mafia was an interesting step, since it incorporated new elements, but didn't smash the technical/brutal elements of Oracles into lifeless submission, but the symphonic elements on Agony dumbed down the music of this band to a point where Agony is aptly named, as it's slightly agonizing to listen to. I doubt that this new album will change their path, but I hope I'm wrong.

Otherwise, I'm just going to keep pretending that Hideous Divinity - Obeisance Rising was the follow up to Mafia.

henkkjelle wrote:
That's some really bland album art right there.

Should fit the guitar writing perfectly then! :D


Somewhat off topic, but I gave a listen to Obeisance Rising two days ago and I've gotta say it's like Oracles and Paradogma by Hour of Penance had a baby and that album came out. Highly recommended for anyone who loved the aforementioned albums I listed.
_________________
Ribos wrote:
Thashierthanthou wrote:
Last time I went on 4chan I saw a dude surrounded by a ton of dicks and decided to get off.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Top
 Profile  
Church13
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:26 am
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:45 pm 
 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

Cause everything anyone types is literal as fuck.


Well the problem is what you typed was arrogant as fuck. You didn't like the album, so anyone who likes it is deaf? Or somehow less musically enlightened than you? To which I say... :|

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1547
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:14 pm 
 

If the guitars become audible it could be worth hearing.
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
EpicSceptic
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 am
Posts: 416
Location: South Africa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 am 
 

In a parallel universe where Fleshgod Apocalypse presented Agony as a "dark metallic classical" album instead of any sub-genre of metal most of you guys wouldn't really have a legitimate reason to say that it's bad, because mostly the arguments here are "the guitars aren't loud/technical/brutal enough". To say the songwriting is bad is really a bit of a stretch though, and it's also the easiest way to say something you dislike is bad without giving a legitimate reason. What about the songwriting is bad? Oh, the guitars? And the rest of everything else? How about those drums, yea they suck huh. Also no emotion or sense of progression through the album at all, right? These guys have no sense of atmosphere, right - give me a fucking break. Seriously, just say you don't like the direction the band went in, say it isn't metal, but don't come and say how bad the album is because the guitars aren't as technical and well written as the previous efforts.

I've enjoyed all their releases and I'm looking forward to this one, especially after seeing them live in a very small venue where they absolutely blew the fucking walls all over the city.

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4742
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:57 am 
 

EpicSceptic wrote:
In a parallel universe where Fleshgod Apocalypse presented Agony as a "dark metallic classical" album instead of any sub-genre of metal most of you guys wouldn't really have a legitimate reason to say that it's bad, because mostly the arguments here are "the guitars aren't loud/technical/brutal enough". To say the songwriting is bad is really a bit of a stretch though, and it's also the easiest way to say something you dislike is bad without giving a legitimate reason. What about the songwriting is bad? Oh, the guitars? And the rest of everything else? How about those drums, yea they suck huh. Also no emotion or sense of progression through the album at all, right? These guys have no sense of atmosphere, right - give me a fucking break. Seriously, just say you don't like the direction the band went in, say it isn't metal, but don't come and say how bad the album is because the guitars aren't as technical and well written as the previous efforts.

I've enjoyed all their releases and I'm looking forward to this one, especially after seeing them live in a very small venue where they absolutely blew the fucking walls all over the city.

Didn't you hear?! People are just saying that the guitars can't be heard on Agony due to its atrocious mix! And that songwriting can't be judged because the guitars can't be heard.

Name one good, not even great just good, death metal album with guitars that can't be heard. I dare you. I double dare you motherfucker! Say "what" one more time!!! SCNR :p
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Marmer
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 am
Posts: 761
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:35 pm 
 

androdion wrote:
Didn't you hear?! People are just saying that the guitars can't be heard on Agony due to its atrocious mix! And that songwriting can't be judged because the guitars can't be heard.

Name one good, not even great just good, death metal album with guitars that can't be heard. I dare you. I double dare you motherfucker! Say "what" one more time!!! SCNR :p


How lovely some Pulp can be !! :headbang:
_________________
Fuck Off And Die!!!

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5214
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
 

EpicSceptic wrote:
Seriously, just say you don't like the direction the band went in, say it isn't metal, but don't come and say how bad the album is because the guitars aren't as technical and well written as the previous efforts.


So don't point out perfectly valid and legitimate criticisms, got it.

The problem is that the guitars and the symphonics don't really mesh all that well on Agony. The idea is there, but the execution is lacking, and therein lies the problem. The fact that the guitars are relatively drowned out and not as well written as they were on the previous two releases is just one of many problems.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Tengger Cavalry - Ancient Call

Top
 Profile  
PDS
The Young One

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:04 pm
Posts: 440
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:57 pm 
 

The only time the guitars aren't drowned out in Agony is on their cover of Heartwork
_________________
zzerk wrote:
I initially read the title of this thread as "Lego rip-offs" and was prepared to rant about the bullshit that is Mega Bloks.

Top
 Profile  
ld50
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:22 am
Posts: 495
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 pm 
 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
They missed the mark on that mix. cause there was clearly a lack of guitars in the mix rendering it more of Beethoven-esque classical music with blast beats. And again Scrambled Defuncts did it before them and with much better results.

Ehugh... That Scrambled Defuncts album was a complete disaster. A potentially decent BDM album destroyed by far too loud, unimaginative, and obnoxious symphonic/classical samples. I'll take Agony over that one, but this would be case of, "which shit stinks less?"

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 pm 
 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You basically are saying all the complaints that i have with Agony are the same with S.D. record and well it's simiply not even true. I can make out everything on that album. I only make out drums and keyboard/symph shit on Agony. I think the complete disaster rests between your ears.


Church, look at my name. I can't help it if I state things as bluntly as I do because I frankly don't care how you take it. But in short of it, yes you people are.


And I'll go with Misfit74, if they remixed Agony where you can make out more of the actual band and less of the keys and shit... I'd be more than happy to give it another listen cause I think there is something of merit there it's just not audible.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
EpicSceptic
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 am
Posts: 416
Location: South Africa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 pm 
 

androdion wrote:
Didn't you hear?! People are just saying that the guitars can't be heard on Agony due to its atrocious mix! And that songwriting can't be judged because the guitars can't be heard.

Name one good, not even great just good, death metal album with guitars that can't be heard. I dare you. I double dare you motherfucker! Say "what" one more time!!! SCNR :p


Sure that might be your view on the album and I can't disagree, the guitars are way too low in the mix, but some people are judging the songwriting and calling it terrible.

And of course there are no good death metal albums where the guitar can't be heard at all, which is why I made the conjecture that if it weren't presented as a death metal album it would probably not be a victim of the firing squad. There are of course plenty of good death metal realeases with really bad production where the guitars might be loud but definitely not clear enough to make out the nuances, which is kind of what I categorize Agony in. Say for instance the Old Funeral compilation The Older Ones. Anyway, people are going on like the guitars are completely inaudible, maybe they need to buy the album or get better quality mp3's?

BastardHead wrote:
EpicSceptic wrote:
Seriously, just say you don't like the direction the band went in, say it isn't metal, but don't come and say how bad the album is because the guitars aren't as technical and well written as the previous efforts.


So don't point out perfectly valid and legitimate criticisms, got it.

The problem is that the guitars and the symphonics don't really mesh all that well on Agony. The idea is there, but the execution is lacking, and therein lies the problem. The fact that the guitars are relatively drowned out and not as well written as they were on the previous two releases is just one of many problems.


It's not a valid criticism against the album if the guitars aren't as technical as the previous albums if that is obviously not what was intended. They were obviously experimenting with something else. The guitars are well written if not as technical, and instead the abundant "noodling" is replaced with some symphonic leads and voices. Again, yes, the mix between the symphonics and the guitars aren't great, but the execution(from a songwriting/performance perspective) is spot on. I really still think you just don't like the direction the band decided to go in on that album. It's like people that say Darkthrone turned to shit the moment they went from death metal to black metal.

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:52 pm 
 

EpicSceptic wrote:
Say for instance the Old Funeral compilation The Older Ones. Anyway, people are going on like the guitars are completely inaudible, maybe they need to buy the album or get better quality mp3's?



That Old Funeral comp sounds great and i can make out the guitars. They practically don't even exist on Agony. I didn't download it, I listened to tracks on youtube that the label put up themselves, so i figured they would put up one that's balanced for that format, Why the hell should i buy the album when I listen to it and it sounds like crap? That's retarded. I did that once with that Adversarial - All Idols Fall Before the Hammer. Bought it cause I knew it was going to be good, got it in and it's literally all snare in the mix. It's the first cd I have ever bought that I couldn't even bother listening to it cause it was just completely shit. I called up Matt and just blew up about it, that's how disappointing and overbearing the snare was.

So with that in mind, why should I waste money on something that I checked out and hated the mix to the point that I can't even tell what's going on outside of the two elements I keep recounting.

I'll give this album a listen and hope it's more like their first one or mafia in mixing.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
ld50
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:22 am
Posts: 495
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:08 pm 
 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You basically are saying all the complaints that i have with Agony are the same with S.D. record and well it's simiply not even true. I can make out everything on that album. I only make out drums and keyboard/symph shit on Agony. I think the complete disaster rests between your ears.

Church, look at my name. I can't help it if I state things as bluntly as I do because I frankly don't care how you take it. But in short of it, yes you people are.

And I'll go with Misfit74, if they remixed Agony where you can make out more of the actual band and less of the keys and shit... I'd be more than happy to give it another listen cause I think there is something of merit there it's just not audible.

lol, settle down, dude. You extracted all kinds of assumption from what I said. I agree with you, I just think the symphonic/classic samples on that SD album are more obnoxious and it pisses me off because I can hear the rest of the music underneath. If they removed the samples, the album would probably be pretty enjoyable, which makes it harder to take for me to take.

So, yeah, two disasters, for similar reasons. I think that the samples in the SD album are far more poorly done, as they are often more random in comparison to the rest of the music and it doesn't turn out as a cool chaotic effect. On Agony, mix aside, they payed more attention to making the classical/symphonic cohesive with the writing. I'm not a fan of either, I just dislike Souls Despising the God more.

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm 
 

And my tastes with SD support that it does come off sounding cool and chaotic.

But like you said, you can hear the music underneath in SD, And i'm saying maybe Agony's music underneath is good and works but I can't hear it at all, if it was remixed I'd give it another listen.


also posting a response =/= getting worked up in the least.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
luxul
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 809
Location: Austin, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:01 pm 
 

Some very strong opinions on Agony here. While it is obvious Agony would be perceived that way, the album wasn't perfect, and I like the album. It's just not their best.

As others as have said, the guitars were a crucial part to FA's sound. Its why I even got into them in the first place, at least with Oracles. The guitars in Agony are audible if you actually take the time and dig through the music, which I'm sure many just blew off after the first listen. Although in comparison to their earlier work, they are lacking. The symphonic parts, VERY bombastic. It works well with some parts of the songs, but others I found them to be out of place and sometimes just too much at the forefront. "The Imposition" http://youtu.be/E8Y7y3LE62Y (one of my least favorite tracks) is a great example of this. The beginning of that song is just a total mess and doesn't really hold together very well. The ending is pretty damn cool, imo, but that's it. All-in-all, I think the symphonic parts just needs to be more varied, less of (to a certain extent), and thought-out with the guitars turned up louder with more emphasis. I do like the direction FA are going in (I await the day they use an ACTUAL orchestra with their music), but I love the Oracles style much more, and don't just want symphonic parts playing the entire time. Good album, just not quite there yet.

As for Labyrinth. Artwork is fine, nothing too special. Great album/ lyrical concept, it suits them. Musically, I think it will crush Agony. As much as people complain about Agony and the mixing, their songwriting was still beast and metal as fuck, and always has been, for the most part. I expect nothing less than a killer album, hopefully more mature and better overall.
_________________
"That's it.. Go ahead and run.. Run home and cry to mama!"

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4742
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:08 pm 
 

What's wrong with the guitars on that Old Funeral compilation? I can hear them pretty well, although it seems that even the bass is higher in the mix than them. This after a cursory listen through Youtube (considering I didn't actually know this band). I'll give you that the general production is pretty raw, somewhat in line with what Soulside Journey did but colder and harsher, which then again isn't surprising considering who were the musicians behind that project. The guitars on Agony however are so low in the mix that the fact that they're playing or not is irrelevant, you just can't decipher what they're doing. And since I'm a guitar guy that makes me hate the album. I second the sentiment that if the guitars could actually be heard my opinion could be different, but as it stands I can't say anything else other than what I already did.

And why should I not expect a death metal album from a death metal band?! ;)

Souls Despising The God is different from FA in a sense that they're much more brutal and blunter, while at the same time being even crazier in the way they mix the symphonic arrangements. Or should I say classical instead? I mean, it's like you have a dissonant piano always trying to go backwards against the music being played. Does it work? It actually does, and I like how they managed to merge the start-stop "riffing" on the piano with the breakdowns on the actual death metal being played. At first the album is just way too dense for it to make much sense, but once you start getting into the synergy between the rhythm being played in the piano and on the death metal parts it will prove to be an interesting album.

It's not for everyone though, because of how peculiar it is. Agony however is only for those who can stand its mix.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 pm 
 

androdion wrote:
Agony however is only for those who can stand its mix.



:thumbsup: :nods: :thumbsup:
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
Church13
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:26 am
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:24 pm 
 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Church, look at my name. I can't help it if I state things as bluntly as I do because I frankly don't care how you take it. But in short of it, yes you people are.


I see someone seeking validation by being "blunt" on an internet forum. Just admit, you made an idiotic statement and now you're trying to save face

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:25 pm 
 

I see someone who can't take a hint and drop it when it no longer applies to the topic at hand which I've continued to speak about.

It's not saving face when it's just pointing out how stupid you are.

You might need this for the future if you continue reading my posts.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
Church13
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:26 am
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 pm 
 

Lol you're not a badass dude, you're not offensive or even remotely "blunt". You just don't like an album and you think that anyone who likes it is "deaf" because you know, you think it sucks. I think that's plenty worth discussing why you feel your critique of the album is so important

Top
 Profile  
Gypaetus
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 pm
Posts: 440
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:56 am 
 

Off topic: Church13, are you on some kind of vendetta against SLK or something? :lol: This is the 2nd thread I've noticed you going out of your way to have a go at him in the last couple of days. I'd recommend chilling out a bit and not taking things people say on a forum so seriously (especially if someone's title is King Asshole), but failing that - can you take it to PM or something?

On another note, a big thanks to the people who recommended Hideous Divinity - Obeisance Rising. My first thought was "holy green album cover batman!", but that was quickly replaced by really enjoying what I've heard so far. Good stuff :thumbsup:
_________________
gomorro wrote:
I felt like if Ygritte shoved me chilly up my ass (Thats right, touched by fire)

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 am 
 

Church, I'm done with you see the form that I posted earlier and just fill it out. It'll all be good.


I also am just now checking out Hideous Divinity - Obeisance Rising, well I found my next album to purchase immediately. Thanks to those who have kept bringing it up. It's def better than the cover would lead me to believe.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4742
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:44 am 
 

That one has been on my short list as well. The cover is actually brilliant, since it's a conceptual work based on Carpenter's "They Live". And everyone knows that "They Live" rules!
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:06 pm 
 

I didn't even know that, well I figure I'd find that out when I got it in. I went on and purchased that. I do enjoy They Live.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
infinitenexus
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 am
Posts: 1939
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 pm 
 

So after all the talk about Hideous Divinity I checked out that album, and I'm loving it. Very grateful to whoever initially mentioned them.

Oracles is one of my all time favorite metal albums. Mafia is still pretty good, but the classical instruments are simply too loud and overbearing in Agony for me to get into it. I have high hopes for this next album; if they go back to a version of their earlier sound I think it'll be killer.


Still though, to me very very few songs can beat the crushing power of "In Honour of Reason"
_________________
Music For The Dead Death, doom, black, grind, and more. New albums out from Eternal Oblivion and Devourer in the Mist.

Top
 Profile  
Mike_64
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 732
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 am 
 

infinitenexus wrote:
So after all the talk about Hideous Divinity I checked out that album, and I'm loving it. Very grateful to whoever initially mentioned them.

Oracles is one of my all time favorite metal albums. Mafia is still pretty good, but the classical instruments are simply too loud and overbearing in Agony for me to get into it. I have high hopes for this next album; if they go back to a version of their earlier sound I think it'll be killer.


Still though, to me very very few songs can beat the crushing power of "In Honour of Reason"


you're welcome :wink:

Agreed on "In Honour of Reason". Ruthless song and one of the best DM songs I've ever heard. I've listened to that song way too many times but it just ages so well and never gets old.
_________________
Ribos wrote:
Thashierthanthou wrote:
Last time I went on 4chan I saw a dude surrounded by a ton of dicks and decided to get off.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Top
 Profile  
Syntek
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:14 pm
Posts: 610
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:22 am 
 

Mike_64 wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:
So after all the talk about Hideous Divinity I checked out that album, and I'm loving it. Very grateful to whoever initially mentioned them.

Oracles is one of my all time favorite metal albums. Mafia is still pretty good, but the classical instruments are simply too loud and overbearing in Agony for me to get into it. I have high hopes for this next album; if they go back to a version of their earlier sound I think it'll be killer.


Still though, to me very very few songs can beat the crushing power of "In Honour of Reason"


you're welcome :wink:

Agreed on "In Honour of Reason". Ruthless song and one of the best DM songs I've ever heard. I've listened to that song way too many times but it just ages so well and never gets old.


Ahh yes, one of my favourite DM songs too, along with Retrieving My Carcass. The breakdown-like section at the end of that song simply destroys.

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1547
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:20 pm 
 

luxul wrote:
Some very strong opinions on Agony here. While it is obvious Agony would be perceived that way, the album wasn't perfect, and I like the album. It's just not their best.

As others as have said, the guitars were a crucial part to FA's sound. Its why I even got into them in the first place, at least with Oracles. The guitars in Agony are audible if you actually take the time and dig through the music, which I'm sure many just blew off after the first listen. Although in comparison to their earlier work, they are lacking. The symphonic parts, VERY bombastic. It works well with some parts of the songs, but others I found them to be out of place and sometimes just too much at the forefront.


Sure, they recorded guitars for the album...they are present. Just not very audible. I personally don't like to have to strain to hear the mainstay of why I listen to metal in the first place which is the guitars. I can deal with them lower in the mix but if I cannot hear them well enough I generally don't bother. There are plenty of albums out there that do have a quality mix/production job that are more worthwhile.

Also, if it's any consolation, I did see them live on the tour in support of Agony and guess what? Apparently they don't want us to hear the guitars in that setting, either. You can hear the hell out of the rest, though. If I couldn't see them holding guitars, I might not have guessed they were playing them. That needs to change in order for me to want to follow this band further.

On a side note, the other bands in that show, mostly Decrepit Birth and Decapitated both slayed us with guitars. :) What I took away from Fleshgod was they did a nice job performing with energy and vigor, were tight-knit, and the keyboards and backup vocals stood out. They wore costumes and makeup. You can throw all that other crap in the garbage can. Give me guitars, drums, and bass first and foremost. That's where Fleshgod failed on the album Agony and failed live.
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
PDS
The Young One

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:04 pm
Posts: 440
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:31 pm 
 

That could have just been a PA problem. I saw Fleshgod live during Summer Slaughter two years ago and the guitars were audible when I saw them. Well, the set I saw had Sound problems also, the vocals and the bass were like, at zero.
_________________
zzerk wrote:
I initially read the title of this thread as "Lego rip-offs" and was prepared to rant about the bullshit that is Mega Bloks.

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1547
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:25 pm 
 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
That could have just been a PA problem. I saw Fleshgod live during Summer Slaughter two years ago and the guitars were audible when I saw them. Well, the set I saw had Sound problems also, the vocals and the bass were like, at zero.


I understand that PAs can pose problems along with many other factors that go into a show's sound delivery and quality, however, the other bands did not have the same problem. The sound for Fleshgod was quality overall - just not enough guitars. The guitars were fine for Rings Of Saturn, Decrepit Birth, Decapitated so it wasn't likely a "PA problem".
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 11816
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:28 pm 
 

That's quite hilarious that they are turned down even in a live setting. Did the vary their set or was it exclusively Agony, cause that would be funny if you could hear them during older songs yet not hear them during Agony material.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
luxul
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 809
Location: Austin, Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:37 pm 
 

I've seen them live too, while supporting Agony, and experienced the same audio problems. What even surprised me more is the fact that their keyboardist was still present in their older songs! In Honor Of Reason and Thru Our Scars, if I remember correctly. I remember thinking something along the lines of, "Hunh, that kind of sucked." Still, they had quite an energetic stage presence.
_________________
"That's it.. Go ahead and run.. Run home and cry to mama!"

Top
 Profile  
ld50
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:22 am
Posts: 495
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:05 pm 
 

I'm actually surprised that some fans of Fleshgod haven't heard Hideous Divinity, but I'm glad you have now. You probably won't be too surprised that HD has a connection or two to Italy and Hour of Penance.

Misfit74 wrote:
Also, if it's any consolation, I did see them live on the tour in support of Agony and guess what? Apparently they don't want us to hear the guitars in that setting, either. You can hear the hell out of the rest, though. If I couldn't see them holding guitars, I might not have guessed they were playing them. That needs to change in order for me to want to follow this band further.

On a side note, the other bands in that show, mostly Decrepit Birth and Decapitated both slayed us with guitars. :) What I took away from Fleshgod was they did a nice job performing with energy and vigor, were tight-knit, and the keyboards and backup vocals stood out. They wore costumes and makeup. You can throw all that other crap in the garbage can. Give me guitars, drums, and bass first and foremost. That's where Fleshgod failed on the album Agony and failed live.

Ah...while that sucks to hear they let you down a bit live, I don't feel so bad about skipping them, as i figured that may be the case for their latest tour and I would have been bummed about not hearing those Oracle songs the way they sound on the album. I also wasn't super interested in hearing songs from Agony beyond one or two.

Did they actually play songs from Oracles? Still not much for guitars?

Mike_64 wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:
So after all the talk about Hideous Divinity I checked out that album, and I'm loving it. Very grateful to whoever initially mentioned them.

you're welcome :wink:

That was me, actually, but OK. lol

Top
 Profile  
Mike_64
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 732
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:11 am 
 

i thought the wink implied that but oh well lol
_________________
Ribos wrote:
Thashierthanthou wrote:
Last time I went on 4chan I saw a dude surrounded by a ton of dicks and decided to get off.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Top
 Profile  
matras
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 am
Posts: 870
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:31 am 
 

luxul wrote:
(...) As others as have said, the guitars were a crucial part to FA's sound. Its why I even got into them in the first place, at least with Oracles. The guitars in Agony are audible if you actually take the time and dig through the music, which I'm sure many just blew off after the first listen. (...)


I think Oracles is a great album, but if they don't get rid of that keyboard player (and get rid of those seriously grating clean vocals), they've lost me.
You see, when I want to listen to death metal, I don't want to "take the time and dig through the music" to find the guitars.

Top
 Profile  
DraakUla
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 am
Posts: 344
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:17 pm 
 

New song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKzmT-VhrnA

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:33 pm 
 

To continue my single verb reactions to new music:

*Yawn*
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
matras
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 am
Posts: 870
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:44 pm 
 

Aaaaaand they've lost me. Seriously guys and gals. This is not good, and sounds exactly like the horrible mess Agony was.

And if you like this, and harp on Dimmu Borgir, you must stop taking drugs.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ENKC, maidenpriestmanic, MutantClannfear, Nephilim96, Paganbasque, Tod_Im_Juni and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group