5. “Warpledge”
6. “Pathfinder”
7. “The Fall Of Asterion”
8. “Prologue”
9. “Epilogue”
10. “Under Black Sails”
11. “Labyrinth”

It is coming out on August 20th.

To say I'm looking forward to this is a massive understatement. I absolutely loved Agony, so while it's gonna be incredibly hard to top that album, I'm fully expecting this record to be great.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:55 pm 

That's some really bland album art right there.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:15 pm 

Looks like they got the guy who did the art for their Bloody Violinist shirt. I'm pretty sure that guy also did the terribad Allegaeon album art.

But man, I was hoping they sticked with using Marco Hasmann. Two albums and a EP with his art, and now we get the dregs of CGi that is bound to come with anyband signed with Nuclear Blast
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm 

That cover art... Wait... I get it now... Because, hun, it's a labyrinth right? Right?! :ah-ha:

Am I the only one smelling a conceptual album in the making? Looking at the cover art/title concept and some of the song's names it does sound like they're going after the story of King Minos, Daedalus, Icarus, etc. The concept could be interesting, but if they're going for the same "no guitar all dun-dun-dun falsetto" template of Agony...

Yeah, I'm that guy. :tinfoil:

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:31 pm 

I really hope this sounds at least something like Oracles and Mafia, although judging by the cover art alone, my expectations aren't set very high.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 pm 

They mus have gone to a lot of trouble unthawing a 3D animator from 2001 from his cryogenic sleep to get that art. They really seem to have said "yeah we won't beat Mafia's art so fuck it" on the last two.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:58 pm 

I hope this album involves David Bowie, somehow... :D

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:10 pm 

Their cover of Magic dance shall be faaaabullous

Dance magic dance...Jump Magic Jump...

But yeah, if anything it would be good to hear a mix of oracles and agony. A good amount of technical work, some symphonics. I don't know about you, but I liked the opera bit in The Egoism. So some opera would be nice, Celt male opera vocals. Don't see that as much in metal.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:11 pm 

The album art would be alot better if they had the actual Minotaur on the cover fighting someone with a huge axe

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 pm 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
Their cover of Magic dance shall be faaaabullous

Dance magic dance...Jump Magic Jump...

Dear god, so much nostalgia. By my dozenth watch of that movie I just started skipping that scene. Nothing is more repugnant than the "Chilly Down" scene, however...

Ahem, yes, anyway, FA's last album did very little for me. It was too samey and unmemorable. Hopefully the riffs aren't drowned out in the blaring symphony this time around. I'd prefer something less... over-saturated.

LuciferianImperium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:30 pm 

I adore Agony, so I am very excited for this release. I plan on renting a tuxedo to listen to it when it comes out. The album cover looks like doo doo, very unappealing, wish it wasn't digital since the design appears to be so simple. Also wish the logo was a bit smaller maybe in the corner or something.

ExNihilos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm 

I found Agony to be one of the most tepid, frustrating, and disappointing releases of 2011. This is coming from someone who really enjoyed Oracles and saw them on one of their first US tours in early 2011. The guys are really nice if a bit shy, but I find it incredibly hard to forgive them for that turd of an album. I really hate tinny symphonic noodling so that might be why I loathed it so much.

I'm looking forward to hating this if it sounds anything like Agony. If not then I'll be surprised. The album art looks archaic and screams Nuclear Blast, which certainly isn't a good thing...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 pm 

Agony rules, so I'll be expecting something great from this. :)

Calling it now: the song "Labyrinth" will be a classical piece, like all the title tracks that close past albums.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 pm 

That's pretty much all this band has ever done, overproduced half-baked Nuclear blast studio pop metal. Its no surprise they gained so many fans who would not otherwise be into "death metal", they instantly attracted a bunch of Wacken fest types to their fanbase. Theyre above average musicians why make horrendously bland music

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:23 pm 

Veracs wrote:
That's pretty much all this band has ever done

Listen to Oracles.

Veracs wrote:
overproduced half-baked Nuclear blast studio pop metal.

Listen to Oracles.

Veracs wrote:
Its no surprise they gained so many fans who would not otherwise be into "death metal"

Listen to Oracles.

Veracs wrote:
Theyre above average musicians why make horrendously bland music

Listen to Orac-Okay you get the idea.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:59 pm 

Composing-wise there are some really good ideas on Agony, but the complete shift in style (fom Oracles to Agony) was really awkward and unexpected from them... even on the Mafia EP they still managed to balance everything. On Agony it's like the symphonic elements have total priority and the rest of the musical elements just seem to be buried underneath all the musical chaos on the album or are obliged to just follow along brainless-ly. If I were them i would have atleast changed the name and reserve all the symphonic ideas for a different side project. Not that i think Agony is really bad or anything, it's just totally different and therefor kinda inappropriate to still use the name Fleshgod Apocalypse. But hell, what can we do, nothing, exactly..

Last edited by Machine_Dead on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:12 pm 

ExNihilos wrote:
I found Agony to be one of the most tepid, frustrating, and disappointing releases of 2011. This is coming from someone who really enjoyed Oracles and saw them on one of their first US tours in early 2011. The guys are really nice if a bit shy, but I find it incredibly hard to forgive them for that turd of an album. I really hate tinny symphonic noodling so that might be why I loathed it so much.

I'm looking forward to hating this if it sounds anything like Agony. If not then I'll be surprised. The album art looks archaic and screams Nuclear Blast, which certainly isn't a good thing...

I agree with everything said here.

I thought Oracles was pretty good and Mafia. That last album was mixed like fucking garbage, didn't have any actual songs, and was just god awful and the art fucking sucked dick. This art isn't too far from that glory hole. I won't be looking or caring about this... basically when it finally drops I'll listen to some stuff just like the last turd album and decide from there if it's worth even looking for on ebay.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:15 pm 

I really don't get the hate on Agony. I've followed this band since about a year before Oracles, and I consider Agony my favourite album of 2011. It seemed to me to be the realisation of the sound they'd always been striving for. It's certainly one for dividing opinions.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:48 pm 

Dunno how I feel about this. I don't care about the art at all, all I care about is the music. I'm sure the album will be awesome, but I'm going to se them for the first time on the exact same day that this album comes out and I'm worried they might cut a song or two that I love from the previous stuff for a new song and that I'll never have a chance to see those old songs live.

ENKC wrote:
I really don't get the hate on Agony. I've followed this band since about a year before Oracles, and I consider Agony my favourite album of 2011. It seemed to me to be the realisation of the sound they'd always been striving for. It's certainly one for dividing opinions.

The hate is that people loved their style of technical brutal death metal and they took out most of the technical and brutal on Agony. Agony is easily one of my favorite albums ever though even though I still love Mafia and Oracles.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:51 pm 

FGA have a decent idea in principle, but their execution is normally dreadful. The production has always been far too clean, and the music too technical or including too many symphonic elements. They could be so much, but it's hard to say that their music to date is worthwhile with a straight face.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:31 pm 

I don't think what this band has done is "overproduced". Nor should their fan base be stereotyped. Their fan base don't listen to death metal? I've known alot of friends who are into Fleshgod Apocalypse, yet are long time death metal fans.

This is all about taking individual music capability to another level of experimenting.

Personally, am looking forward to the new release. "Oracles" is still their best, but I don't have issues with "Mafia" and "Agony"

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:32 pm 

Really, though, doesn't the world have enough technical/brutal death metal bands to go around? Symphonic death metal bands aren't exactly a dime a dozen, so I'm happy to embrace their experiments in that style.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 pm 

Damn, I can't believe all the hate this band is getting! Oracles was possibly one of the greatest tech death albums of all time, so it only makes sense to move forward in the direction they went, imo. Mafia was the bridge point between the two albums obviously, but i loved it the most because of songs like "Conspiracy of Silence" and "Thru Our Scars" which weren't as technical as they were fucking fast. Agony was a masterpiece in it's own right and is worth listening for Christiano's solos alone. All in all, I loved Agony and Oracles equally but Mafia is definitely the best.

As for the new album, The artwork is even more bland that Agony, and just looks horribly made. But I'm not one to judge music based on pictures. Song titles sound interesting and I would gladly embrace an Agony part II if that's what Labyrinth comes out as.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

ENKC wrote:
Really, though, doesn't the world have enough technical/brutal death metal bands to go around? Symphonic death metal bands aren't exactly a dime a dozen, so I'm happy to embrace their experiments in that style.

Fleshgod Apocalypse are to Phlebotomized as recent Dimmu Borgir is to Emperor, that's the problem.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

androdion wrote:
Am I the only one smelling a conceptual album in the making? Looking at the cover art/title concept and some of the song's names it does sound like they're going after the story of King Minos, Daedalus, Icarus, etc.

Turns out they are, I read in an interview (like 2 months ago) that the album was going to use King Minos' labyrinth as an allegory to some philosophical ramblings that I can't remember and it's apparently tied in to the current era.

I'm very happy Fleshgod Apocalypse is one great, great band. Agony seemed to me like the album the band had always wanted to make (it sure as fuck was what they very conspicuously hinted at) and was very good for it. If they can do that while giving the guitars more space, it may be quite a force.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 pm 

My main main main complaint is with the production and it's because there is no guitar in that mix. literally everything I've ever heard is keyboards and drums. They shouldn't have even bothered recording guitars or bass.

The only symphonic brutal death metal band that did it fucking good and proper was Scrambled Defuncts.

And anyone who thinks Agony is a great piece of work.. you are probably deaf cause there is no other way for me to understand you.

And I am one who makes judgements of music based on pictures cause about 7 times out of 10 it's garbage music behind that garbage picture.

Just from looking at the cover... called it on Morbid Angel's last release, called it on Decapitated's last release, and I called it on Agony as well. Pretty much got a good running streak here of picking the shit album before hearing it.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:46 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
...fucking good and proper was Scrambled Defuncts.

This much I agree with.
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
And anyone who thinks Agony is a great piece of work.. you are probably deaf cause there is no other way for me to understand you.

I guess it's good that your understanding is not a necessity of mine.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:53 am 

Apparently it was enough to let me know it didn't... instead of you know.... not responding like someone who actually doesn't care.

Now I'm really wishing Scambled Defuncts had a new album out like the last :(

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:58 am 

Well, I have one clear idea from this post, I must listen to Oracles. :D :D

Because the previous album had some really interesting ideas but it was every fucking time the same thing, pace and pattern, so it was difficult to distinguish and keep in mind the songs. Lets see if they are capable of releasing something more varied and dynamic.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 am 

they lost me after they dropped in the overkill of classical influences.. Wont listen to this at all.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 pm 

ENKC wrote:

Same here, and that's exactly the reason why I had them as my DM album of 2011 as well: they finally had a budget that could handle recording all the various elements they wished they had in their sound for the first time. It was evident in small doses on Oracles, and Mafia had it a little clearer, but on Agony they finally did it: mix Beethoven-esque classical music with technical death metal, and it was fresh to hear a band do something different.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:57 pm 

I honestly really like the idea they're going for, we get symphonic power and black metal all the time, but rarely thrash or death, and I love that they're trying to corner the market on symphonic death metal. The problem is that they were really close on Mafia, and then just released the intensely boring Agony, despite finally fully realizing their sound. They kind of have it figured out now in terms of what they want, and I love that they're trying something new, but dammit the songwriting took a huge dive around this time. I'm hoping they'll correct this, but first impressions aren't looking so good.

SLK may come off like a fool sometimes, but I'm totally on his side here. How many albums with wretched cover art have actually turned out to be good recently? Like... the new Immolation and that's it?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:31 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Apparently it was enough to let me know it didn't... instead of you know.... not responding like someone who actually doesn't care.

Now I'm really wishing Scambled Defuncts had a new album out like the last :(

Nah, man it was a light-hearted jab (perhaps I should start using emoticons) since I already was seconding your mention of Scrambled Defuncts. I believe that album would have eventually made bigger waves if Agony hadn't stolen its thunder, sad story really since Souls Despising the God is the better album.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 pm 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Fleshgod Apocalypse are to Phlebotomized as recent Dimmu Borgir is to Emperor, that's the problem.

This comparison is so so weird... :scratch:

I personally have to voice my feelings against Agony, and in the process face the wrath of the mob, when it comes to it being a really bad album. Or better put, that it sounds really bad! I remember seeing them play live songs from Agony and they actually sounded decent (falsettos apart and all that) because the stage sound was pretty good and you could hear the whole band, especially the guitars. But on records it's just impossible! I agree with SLK, why did they even bother recording and (not) mixing in the guitars and bass? That's my gripe with the album, and I won't even go to how the songwriting is because, you know, a death metal album without guitars???

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:32 pm 

slayrrr666 wrote:

Same here, and that's exactly the reason why I had them as my DM album of 2011 as well: they finally had a budget that could handle recording all the various elements they wished they had in their sound for the first time. It was evident in small doses on Oracles, and Mafia had it a little clearer, but on Agony they finally did it: mix Beethoven-esque classical music with technical death metal, and it was fresh to hear a band do something different.

I really wouldn't call it Beethoven-esque at all. It seemed to me that it was a cacophony of noise more than anything else. I'm in the same camp as SLK and androdion on this one - the symphonic elements overpower everything else, and, quite frankly, they weren't very well done in the first place.

I'd love to hear what this band could do if they got the balance right, so I'll probably check this new album out. I'm not expecting anything else other than an Agony clone, however.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:34 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
I'd love to hear what this band could do if they got the balance right, so I'll probably check this new album out. I'm not expecting anything else other than an Agony clone, however.

I'm with this guy. ;)

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:24 pm 

I like Oracles quite a bit and Mafia was an interesting step, since it incorporated new elements, but didn't smash the technical/brutal elements of Oracles into lifeless submission, but the symphonic elements on Agony dumbed down the music of this band to a point where Agony is aptly named, as it's slightly agonizing to listen to. I doubt that this new album will change their path, but I hope I'm wrong.

Otherwise, I'm just going to keep pretending that Hideous Divinity - Obeisance Rising was the follow up to Mafia.

henkkjelle wrote:
That's some really bland album art right there.

Should fit the guitar writing perfectly then! :D

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:36 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Yes, because deaf people can listen to albums :|

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:44 pm 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

Cause everything anyone types is literal as fuck.

slayrrr666 wrote:
ENKC wrote:

They missed the mark on that mix. cause there was clearly a lack of guitars in the mix rendering it more of Beethoven-esque classical music with blast beats. And again Scrambled Defuncts did it before them and with much better results.

Last edited by ShaolinLambKiller on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:47 pm 

Case of foot in mouth syndrome Slk?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next