Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:34 pm 

New album by the masters of modern prog. This one isn't as metal as the last few and they continue their trend of getting mellower and mellower. I personally would like to see more upbeat and aggressive songs like "Slipstream" out of this new lineup, but I dunno, I don't think Damian Wilson has the right voice for those songs - explains why they've been getting progressively softer since he came back. But even so, the melodies, riffs, syncopation between guitars and drums, the vocal lines - everything on this album is just so fucking good, it's impossible to deny. After my first listen this morning I like the more sorrowful, bleak feel to some of this, more nostalgic - songs like "The Box" and "Autumn Red" are up there with the best of the last few albums.

In a time when bands like Anubis Gate, Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind are releasing less than what they're capable of, I dunno, I'm really glad to have Threshold. Thoughts?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 pm 

Already!? I haven't digested their previous album.
Sounds good, will buy.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:47 pm 

Listening to Watchtower On the Moon..... And yeah, this is good. Real hooky, with a slightly more spacey feel in comparison to March of Progress, mostly because of the keyboards. I should listen to it in full, but it's already giving me some great vibes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 pm 

I haven't even heard March of Progress yet, I guess I have some homework to do! Damian Wilson is fucking awesome so I'm sure it rocks. It's a pretty short album compared to their usual length, I dig that.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:11 pm 

MoP was definitely a bit long for an album with such a consistent mood and tone to it, but again, it's so good it's insane, the songs are out of this world. I'm sure you'll love it Tony.

New one'll have to sink in more, but my first impression was that it could have basically been "Part 2" to MoP.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:28 pm 

This album is fantastic, one of the best of the year.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:53 pm 

I dunno, on first listen this seems like a pretty big step down from the world class quality of March of Progress. Hopefully I just wasn't in the mood for it and it'll grow on me...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:57 pm 

Only 3 songs in, and I really like it. That's all I got for now.

Xileize
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:58 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
I dunno, on first listen this seems like a pretty big step down from the world class quality of March of Progress. Hopefully I just wasn't in the mood for it and it'll grow on me...

I feel the same way. I think I need to give it a few more listens. Turned To Dust and Watchtower on the Moon are definitely good songs, but I wasn't very impressed with the rest first time around.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:24 pm 

This is a super chill album. Very mellow, laid back and what not - most of it is made up of ballads and I'd hesitate to call this a metal album at all frankly. I really like it though. Like the last two albums it has a couple of weak tracks, but the strong ones make up for them in spades. "The Mystery Show" is really good, and "The Box" is a veritable soundtrack for a rainy day.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:16 am 

adace wrote:
This album is fantastic, one of the best of the year.

Agreed! Definitely a contender for this year's number one position for me. It's sad that this album is so much shorter than MoP though. Still, I find the album really solid the whole way through, with some tracks that are stronger than others, but that doesn't really matter all that much to me. I feel every song has a certain degree of identity to it, and that makes it worth listening to each and every one of them.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:46 am 

As much as prog annoys the shit out of me this band and Circle II Circle just do it for me for some reason.

Light13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:59 am 

I'm really enjoying it and I'm not the biggest fan of traditional prog metal, although I will always love early Dream Theater. Threshold are such a mature and accomplished band that never disappoint.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:25 am 

Generally haven't enjoyed this band that much for reasons, but this might be worth a look. I mean I wouldn't mind changing my mind on the band, I've already had to realise that they're not Tourniquet, although the sound on this album generally seems redeemable. A bit slower than past releases.

Reply to topic