Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:26 pm 

Cover art is okay. I was expecting something a bit more... vibrant. And the logo placement is kind of dumb, but yeah it's okay. At least progress is being made.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 pm 

No jewel case CD only Digipak and LP
The cover looks cool, the multi armed thing has been done before though... just an observation, it's not a negative comment.

http://loudwire.com/gorguts-details-long-awaited-album-colored-sands/

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:13 pm 

^ Kind of has the same coloration and shading of a Falconer album cover, it looks great for an album art.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

Dunno about that, it only says that the fans will be able to buy it on digipak. SOM has the habit of releasing the first run as limited digipak and then release unlimited stock as standard jewel case. That's probably the case here as well.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 pm 

That sand does not have any colors in it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:22 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
That sand does not have any colors in it.

hahaha I thought that as well. But I really do like the cover art regardless it's not like the one that was a joke posted earlier.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 am 

I'm really digging that cover art and the symbolism of the whole thing as well, though I wouldn't go so far as to say best cover of the year. Either way I'm super pumped for this one.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:15 am 

androdion wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:

Dunno about that, it only says that the fans will be able to buy it on digipak. SOM has the habit of releasing the first run as limited digipak and then release unlimited stock as standard jewel case. That's probably the case here as well.

The shipping for the CD alone is only 5 euros to NZ too, sweet! not sure if I want to fork over the extra $6 euros for the t-shirt shipping, I wonder how many shirts they have?
It looks like maybe the t-shirt deal is the Digipak and the CD by itself may be a jewel case :scratch:
http://e-shop.season-of-mist.com/en/predefined-search/39606

It'll be the very first Gorguts Digipak for a first edition too...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 am 

I'm debating if I want to get the tshirt package + vinyl or just the package. decisions decisions!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 am 

First world people's dramas. :lol:

As stated here, "First pressing on Digipak!". So it's like I said, usual SOM release with first press on digipak and subsequent on jewel case. ;)

The lowest shipping to me for the bundle is 7€, without a given estimation of the delivery time. For it to be delivered within a week (as regular registered mail in Europe) I'll have to shell out 13,50€! That's more than what the actual CD costs!

Why are big labels always like this on shipping fees?! :grumble:

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 am 

New song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vk7nb-idmdI

Edit: The song sounds really good on first listen. Gonna have to give it a few more spins for it to sink it properly, but I'm impressed so far.

Last edited by By_Inheritance on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:12 am 

The new song is a lot more focused and streamlined compared to their previous material, and they definitely focused more on the atmosphere. I'm going to have to let it sink in for a while, but I'm digging it. I also appreciate the fact that they made it sound like a real song.

(never really was a big Obscura fan)

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:41 am 

Definitely a lot more atmosphere than they'd had before, it sounds like Luc's a big Ulcerate fan. If this track's indicative of the rest of the album it'll be a huge comeback for them.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:51 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
it sounds like Luc's a big Ulcerate fan

:durr:

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:55 am 

I do understand where Ulcerate draws the bulk of it's influence from but it's not unreasonable to think that he's paying attention to the band's he's inspiring.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
I do understand where Ulcerate draws the bulk of it's influence from but it's not unreasonable to think that he's paying attention to the band's he's inspiring.

Well, yeah. Given that, if he was the sole riff-writer on this new song, then he just out Ulcerated Ulcerate. :lol: Seriously, this song was much, MUCH more to my liking...sounds much more like the Gorguts I know and love. I think "Forgotten Arrow" is a perfect continuation/expansion of what was going on on FWTH. My only gripe with this song is that I feel Luc's vocals are a little low in the mix, but I am listening to this through a shitty laptop speaker.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm 

I gave the track a listen. It seems quite decent and it has a truckload of djangy riffs and atmosphere (as expected). I think it's good that the band is continuing where they left off and not tweaking their sound too much. Looking forward to hearing more from this album.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:57 pm 

Yes, a million times yes! I loved everything about that, it's 101% Gorguts while still remaining fresh and Luc has barely aged from the sound of it. I can't wait for this thing to drop.

Btw Dragunov I don't think it has to do with your speakers, it sounds low in the mix for me as well, I don't mind it that much though.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:29 pm 

I don't think it's only the vocals that are low in the mix, I think it's actually the reverb-laden production hitting home. This almost reminds me of the latest Sonne Adam EP in terms of production, although not as far out cavernous as that one. But the murky atmosphere and the instruments being played from afar and below a wall of "noise"... I think it's the production and is actually completely intentional. Which leads to me then wondering what the end result will actually be.

The song is really dense and complicated, very much FWTH but with a bit of an Obscura touch in terms of mindfuckery. It's ugly, dismal and bleak as fuck. Especially the dissonance used in the chorus, creepy stuff. I just hope this production doesn't ruin the album... The drum kick sounds a bit too clicky for me, particularly when heard below the entire cacophony of reverb that goes around.

I think it's a good sign of what's to come, but at the same time it's raising some red flags...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 pm 

Song is pretty decent. I don't mind that the vocals aren't very loud, Lemay is a pretty bad vocalist.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:14 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Lemay is a pretty bad vocalist.

How so? I think he sounds great on everything he's been a part of. He's very dynamic and suits the mood of all the music he's been a part of. Not calling you out or anything, just curious.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:31 pm 

...Dynamic? :???: Up until this new song he's had the shittiest idea of "dynamics" I've ever seen. He's obsessed with constantly raising his growl to a yell like he's Cookie Monster on a roller coaster with 5,000 drops, and basically nothing else. It's really one of the most annoying things ever and it even pretty much ruined Considered Dead for me.

The new song is decent. The melodies are pretty cool but I hate that rhythm-wise it's still stuck on that boring-as-all-shit "mid-paced riff over rolling and meandering double bass" thing that they started doing nonstop around FWTH, it's *dreadfully* boring to listen to. I always did wish that Gorguts were a much faster band in general... But yeah, at least this has pretty melodies and semi-competent vocals going for it whereas the last album didn't.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm 

What MalignantThrone said.
Also, the vocal lines in this song would actually be super cool with a better vocalist.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 pm 

all just a matter of taste:

Considered Dead is sick!
Sonne Adam reverb is eternal darkness!
Luc vocals are awesome!
new song is terrific!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
...Dynamic? :???: Up until this new song he's had the shittiest idea of "dynamics" I've ever seen. He's obsessed with constantly raising his growl to a yell like he's Cookie Monster on a roller coaster with 5,000 drops, and basically nothing else. It's really one of the most annoying things ever and it even pretty much ruined Considered Dead for me.

Everything you just said is probably why I find his vocals endearing. I was actually thinking of Obscura when I said dynamic, but I forgot Steeve did vocals on that album too. I just like how his voice sounds, and how it kinda churns along with the music. I wouldn't like Gorguts with any other vocalist at this point.

fuck all o' y'all

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:35 pm 

as great of a songwriter Steeve Hurdle was I was never really a big fan of his vocals, that was my only complaint about Obscura. I much prefer Luc Lemay's vocals over his, I think he's one of the better death metal vocalists personally. to each their own though, my only complaint about this new track is how low the vocals are in the mix

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:14 pm 

Aaattaack wrote:
Sonne Adam reverb is eternal darkness!

Yeah... Doctrines Of Dark Devotion still sounds like shit though, shit that was recorded at the bottom of mile long well... I mean, I get the cavernous sound they're going for, but there's a difference between sounding echoing and just sounding wrong. This new song isn't as far out as that EP in terms of production, but the point stands.

Luc is a great vocalist... in Gorguts. I don't see him being a good addition (vocally) to any other band because he's part of Gorgut's trademark sound. He is pretty standard though, but sounds great on his own band. If he had to do it somewhere else he'd probably falter.

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 pm 

Zero color on the cover. Irony.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 pm 

New song is really good. I am highly anticipating more!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ExNihilos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I always did wish that Gorguts were a much faster band in general...

I wish they were the opposite. A slower, more doom-laden approach would be far more appealing. In my opinion the deliberate and insufferable sound of that subgenre would mix quite well with Gorguts' music and Lemay's raised, tormented wailing.

A faster sound akin to more tinny technical death (ie: Spawn Of Possession) or softer brutal death metal acts (ie: Epicardiectomy but with low-end) would really ruin things for me.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:24 pm 

ExNihilos wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
I always did wish that Gorguts were a much faster band in general...

I wish they were the opposite. A slower, more doom-laden approach would be far more appealing.

Must agree with Nihilos here. If they were slower it would be more agonising, but in a good way. "Clouded" remains one of my favourite songs by this band because of this. I hope they drop a similar 10-minute song on this one!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 pm 

really liking the new song, has greatly increased my excitement for this release. can also see the need for vocals to be a bit higher in the mix, but once again, could just be my work speakers, will need a more through listen through decent speakers at home

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:43 pm 

Yeah, if you're not digging the rhythmic elements in Gorguts, you're missing the point of Gorguts.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:51 pm 

If the point is to make death metal that tries to create momentum by being mechanically slow and then just contorting and lurching, then fair enough. I suppose it's a point worth missing. Image

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm 

Seems like every album this year will have a bad album cover

exept Deeds of Flesh they fucking rule album covers

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:05 pm 

This is everything I hoped it would be.

To elaborate, I dig the production of the album. I've listened to the song twice now and the first time through I focused a bit to much on the lyrics and I thought, "what the fuck? Is this the final mix?" But now I can see how it would help to create a desolate atmosphere, as well as the riffs in this one. Typical Gorguts, but when Luc said this album would have much more atmosphere I can now see exactly what he meant, and he did it. Not to keen on the lyrics already, but we'll see how that plays out in time. The album was delayed so that he could study what the concept of the album was and then write lyrics from there and with those being the final result I'm just not sure what to think, but then again that's just one song. I enjoy the vocals but one thing that kind of bothers me is in damn near every single song, not sure about the other records but for sure Obscura, at the end of a scream he fades the vocals out in volume. You never really hear the end of his vocal because the track volume dissipates to nothing. And I just imagine someone falling down a cliff while screaming so you gradually hear less. I don't know. Abrasive Swirling Murk was the first track released from Drought and I played it almost nonstop so I'm kind of burnt out on that one sometimes, and it's kind of a shame that this song will probably suffer the same fate. I can't wait for this to be released. I wasn't really a fan of their new shirt designs with all of the geometric patterns but I liked the one on the back of the album cover shirt. I guess now it kind of makes sense after seeing the pyramid.

And about Steeve's vocals, I'm sure I've said it before but I really like them. It's more of a pained anxiety-ridden wail and I think it suits the tone of Obscura perfectly.

Last edited by SweetSilence on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 pm 

Yeah I just pre-ordered the digi pack/ t shirt combo, awesome!! Only about $35.00 (usd) with shipping.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

The posts from MikeyC and ExNihilos reminded me of an interview with Lemay in Metal Maniacs. Granted, this is from early 2001, a lot may have changed in his songwriting technique and philosophy since then, but --

Asked about the inclusion of slower tempos, e.g.: "Clouded" and "Quest for Equilibrium," Luc Lemay wrote:
Yeah, but I didn't want it to go as slow as "Clouded." Live, that wasn't a song that was really happening. I'd rather go just a bit faster, more rolling. I like doom music, but "Clouded" was Hurdle's idea. He'a a big Cathedral fan, and he wanted to have a very slow song.

Personally I never liked "Clouded." I prefer the rolling tempo more, as well, like "Nostalgia." Though I may be the only person on this planet whose favorite Gorguts album is FWtH. "Inverted," "Das Martyrium Des," and "Elusive Treasures" might be my favorite three Gorguts songs behind "Nostalgia." Er, but then there's "Erosion of Sanity" and "Path Beyond Premonition" and "Orphans of Sickness." Oh screw it, Gorguts is awesome, I don't care what they do.

THE MIGHTY SOLA TERRAAA!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Yeah I just pre-ordered the digi pack/ t shirt combo, awesome!! Only about $35.00 (usd) with shipping.

I'm ordering tmwr, I think I'll get a cd and the vinyl.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:18 am 

Great song. The vocals are quiet sure, but I think Lemay is a great vocalist. He has a voice that is unique and distinct yet suitable enough to forgive his lack of variation imo.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next